Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• Bought the 2000 Montero Sport on the 0 program and did not have to put anything down. Only trouble was having a hard time getting ignition key out after putting in park etc. It may have been a "bug" that has seemed to worked itself out.
  • Thanks for the info Penrose. Coincidentally, I live in Glendale, AZ and planned on visiting Mark Mitsubishi this week, so your info was really timely and pertinent. Jeff.
  • I ordered my 2000 Montero Sport XLS (Black over Sudan Beige)with the premium package through CarsDirect.Com. It was delivered about four days ago. (See post # 280 in the CarsDirect board under the Smart Shopper forum for my great experience with CarsDirect and somewhat negative experience with the dealer).

The vehicle is great. The fit, finish and ride are outstanding. The inside is very well designed. Everybody who has seen it loves the appearance. I know it's early, but this may be the best vehicle I have ever purchased.

Interestingly, many people who ask me what kind of SUV I got without seeing the vehicle) have no idea what a Montero looks like. Those few who know what a Montero looks like always have very positive comments. Perhaps the Montero merely suffers from a lack of a good marketing campaign.
  • I agree with the fact that Mitsubishi has done an awful job with giving the AWESOME Montero Sport good press. I am the proud owner of the 2000 LS 4WD with leather/CD. Everyone who sees it compliments me on it,and it drives great! I am very pleased, and if Mitsuishi hired a good PR firm, they would sell a hell of a lot more cars. Maybe they should give Burson-Marstellar a call.
  • Just purchased a 2000 Limited 4WD for $99 under invoice. Used the no payments/interest until 2001 deal. Very impressed with the vehicle so far. Think it compares to the 4Runner Limited but for less $$$.
    Only dissatisfaction I had from the dealer was the $550 adevertising assessment from Mitsubishi tagged on to the price. Doe this sound Kosher?
    Will probably sell right before payments kick in hoping resale is not too bad.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    JOHNGIORDANO;

I live in the Northwest as well. I am dealing on a 2000 MS Limited 4x4 right now. Where did you find such a great deal? Is it a friend! Would you please let me know. If you wish to keep it private, please e-mail me at www.dmetzger@mtpower.com. (day) or
    www.cmetzger@intch.com. (night)

Thanks!!!!!!!
  • Johngiordano,
    You received an excellent deal. Was the $550.00 advertising charge above your $99 under invoice price or was the $99 under invoice including your advertising charge. Also did you drive a 3.0 liter model before you bought your limited. I'd like to know how big of a difference there is. I drove an LS model and thought it drove nice up to about 55mph,then it seemed a little loud, and the rpm's were way up. Thanks
  • The advertising fee from my dealers invoice from Mitsubishi Motors was $545.50. So, johngiordano, it seems as if it is correct. A fee that is added on to your $99.00 under invoice price. Correct?
  • A good bench mark for the value of PR efforts is the Nissan Xterra (one of the commercials was just on).

Apparently, demand for that vehicle is really high in large part due to the PR campaign. I am not a Lenny Kravitz fan and am out of the target group for that vehicle(mid 20s), but the ads really grab your attention.

In contrast, until I saw the commercial again tonight I did not realize that the tough dog/pretty dog commercial was for the Montero. I recalled the commercial, but not the product. I imagine many who have seen the ad do not even recall it.

Obviously, increased demand would help our re-sale value down the road. Given that, why is the 2001 finaning program not heavily advertised. My local dealer's radio and print ads make it sound like he is the one offering the program.
  • Penrose,
    The advertising fee was added to the $99 under invoice price. I also purchased my wife a 2000 LS two weeks ago so had the opportunity to drive the 3.0 liter. Since hers is a 2WD didn't think it was too underpowered although the 3.5 4WD did have more power. Rpms are also high over 55 mph on the 3.5 liter.

To all,
    The $99 under deal is being offered by Sheehy Mitsubishi in Manassas VA. Don't know how long it will last.
  • Hi,

This chat info line is great! It seems like now I know so much more about Montero Sport then ever before.

I currently leased an Eclipse which expires 10/2001. Just received a letter from Mitsu. that I can return the car a year early if I get a new Mitsu from then. Don't have any great experience from car dealers, anyone heard of this deal before?

Also, how about the 0,0,0 plan? Does it apply to leasing? or just buying? I also saw a $1,000 rebate on MS 2000 model, too. What the major differences between LTD or XLS besides the engine. I live in NYC and power is really not a big deal. What's the best value? XLS or LTD?
  • I believe the 2001 financing applies only to purchases. However, if you use the financing you forego the $1,000 rebate. You cannot have both.

One thing no one has mentioned: it's real easy with such an expensive vehicle to get upside down (owe more than the vehicle is worth). The one year of no payments will only exacerbate that problem unless you are disciplined enough to make principal payments during that period. If no principal payments are made you will be left with one year of depreciation on the vehicle with no corresponding reduction in the amount owed.

Finally, with respect to the difference between theXLS and Limited, I do not think there is much difference if you get the premium package with the XLS:

XLS has two tone paint scheme. Limited has bigger engine, heated mirrors and seats, and rear heater.

I went with the 2WD XLS b/c it was cheaper, I liked the 2 tone paint scheme better and the smaller engine was not an issue for me.
  • We are looking at the Montero Sport in part because of the great financing deal. I am pleased that so many of you have had positive experiences with this car! Does anyone have any things that we should be aware of before we buy? Any hidden problems or unexpected costs? What about reliability?
    Thanks.
    We also test drove the Xterra and I liked the Sport MUCH better. Thought the Xterra was much smaller, hardered to get in and out of the back seat.
  • As reflected in some prior posts, insurance costs may be significantly higher. I am 36 and have a clean driving record.

Through AllState, my 1999 Nissan Quest (MSRP approximately $23,5000) costs about $350 every six months to insure.

AllState is trying to charge me $700 every six months for insuring my 2000 Montero Sport XLS with 2WD. Needless to say, I am shopping.

However, thanks to this wonderful site, I knew this would be a potential issue if I bought the truck. As such, I am prepared to live with the higher rate if I cannot get a better deal elsewhere.
  • Compared insurance rates between 4Runner, Pathfinder, and Montero Sport, (all 4X4 models) with my insurance company, Farmers. MS was $120.00 cheaper per year. It suprised me after all I had heard.
  • jwk5jwk5 Posts: 2
    Traded 1998 2wd Isuzu Rodeo on 2000 MS 4wd six days ago. Insurance was only 100.00 more per six month period. I feel much better putting my wife and six month old son in the MS. If you are thinking SUV, don't buy until you drive the Montero Sport!
  • jwk5jwk5 Posts: 2
    Traded 1998 2wd Isuzu Rodeo on 2000 MS 4wd six days ago. Insurance was only 100.00 more per six month period. I feel much better putting my wife and six month old son in the MS. If you are thinking SUV, don't buy until you drive the Montero Sport!
  • For those people who have already purchased a Montero, I would appreciate info on what they are paying for insurance and to whom. I have been looking for a week now and cannot find anything better than AllState which is about $740/6 months with 100/300/50 coverage.

Perhaps all SUVs are this expensive to insure. However, the difference between insurance cost for my van (MSRP $23,500) and my Montero (MSRP $30,500) seems a bit much. Insurance on my van is $400/6 months.
  • jana3jana3 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Montereo Sports come with the audio Cassette Player as well as Cd Player?
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    A cassette player can be ordered. Not a standard option on the MS for 2000. Only comes with a CD changer.