Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• bkoettbkoett Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Montero Sport LS... recently the blower fan started to periodically stop working. The strange part is that if you turn off the engine and restart, it will work fine again. I've checked all the fuses and switches I can think to look at. The dealership can't seem to recreate the problem and I'm 2k miles to the end of my warranty. Any ideas? Oh, and the little lights behind the blower speed dial don't work when the head lamps are on anymore.
  • bkoettbkoett Posts: 3
    2003 Montero Sport LS... Not really the blower fan. What it does is after approximately 30 min. of driving, the AC actually quits cooling. Fan continues to blow, but just re-circulates the air. If I stop at an intersection, power off the engine and restart, it starts to cool again. Is some sort of module failing or is it the AC system/compressor or something? :confuse:
  • Infinity sound system- you would think it had subs in it. Sunroof-like Texas. Driving position and room. Best.

Engine- weak in 2hi especially 1-2 shift. Manumatic mode helps out. Rattles when sunroof is closed, little rough riding hitting expansion joints. Not so best. $13,800 w/3500.00 trade in. 68000 mi. Black/beige beige leather.
  • Need help . I drove my montero sport yesterday and everything seemed fine. Drove it today pulling a small trailer and the transmission would not shift to high . Unhooked trailer and it acted better ,but still did not seem right .I also noticed that the neutral light was flashing and it now has it seems to be slipping. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks to all who will take time to reply .
  • I am having the SAME problem with my 97 Montero. I have been scouring the internet, and there are a ridiculous amount of people out there who have had the same problem with their battery/alternator. I too have spent over a thousand dollars getting this fixed. Has anyone contacted Mitsubishi about this? It's getting ridiculous.
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    Does anyone here know where i can find the fuse for the power mirrors? I have a 2001 montero sport. The manual shows 2 diff fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, and the only 1 i can find doesn't have the correct fuse. Thanks.
  • I have a 00 mitsubishi montero sport 2wd and I'm wondering if I have the transmission computer rebuilt (which also happens to be the engine computer) how can I get the alarm to match the keys again. From the dealer I have heard that re programing the computer would leave me no alternative but to purchase a new immobilizer ECU as well and try to get the TCM and immobilizer re flashed to match the keys to the alarm system otherwise my only other alternative is to buy a new TCM and new matching immobilizer ECU and re flash them to the alarm system and keys. Before I pay to get the TCM rebuilt I'd like to know for sure if it's going to be able to be made to match the alarm or if its better to buy the TCM and immobilizer new and then get them both reflashed. Any help or knowledge on this subject will be greatly appreciated
  • Recently the horn on our 2001 montero sport started blowing at random. It would not stop until we disconnected the horn. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  • chazschazs Posts: 1
    There is a second or upper fuse box behind the lower 1/2 of the dash cover which is held in place by 4 screws, two of which are behind the rectangular pop-outs on each side of the steering column.

I don't recall exactly, but the fuse you're looking for may be at position 15, which is at the lower left of the upper box.

If replacing this fuse works, let me know, as my mirrors quit working too but I'm too lazy to want to remove the (lower) dash cover.
  • Helloooo everyone!

I am trying to help my mother with her 2002 montero sport and one thing is driving me particularly nuts. I can't find where her windshield washer fluid tank is so I can refill it. Anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks a bunch!

Disgruntled in SC
  • Our 2001 did the same thing about 2 mos ago, waking the whole neighborhood a 2 am. We took it the dealer who told us it would be $200 just to look at it. And to repair it could be upwards in $1000 because it's located w/ the airbag, in column. So unfortunetly our fuse is still removed, not safe, but it seems awfully expensive to us for the fix. Have you had any luch with yours?
  • I have a '97 Montero Sport. My alternator went out yesterday but I didn't realize it was the alternator. The first indication was very dim lights and the voltmeter was reading 10-11 volts. I first had the 7 year old battery tested at Advance Auto and the tester indicated that it was a bad battery so I replaced it. I then put it in and immediated the voltmeter jumped to 14 volts, needless to say I was happy. However, this morning the voltmeter was again at 11 volts, sometimes lower. The owner's manual says it should be between 12-16. So I took the alternator off and noticed that it was covered with lots of oil. I took it in to have it re-built and the electrical guy told me that there was lots of oil in it and that was what caused it to fail. So, I called my brother-in-law who is a mechanic and he told me that he often sees Mitsubishi's with leaking crankshaft front seals. He also said that with foreign autos that develop oil leaks, the alternator is usually affected because foreign makes locate their alternators under the engine but on domestic vehicles the alternators are located on the top of the engine. Anyway, once that seal begins to leak, it starts to splash that oil around and the alternator is directly in its path. He guesses that an independent shop will charge anywhere from $275-$500 to have the seal replaced. I thought about doing it but I don't have the tool to pull the harmonic balancer out. Will let you know what happens on Monday...
  • This morning at 7 AM I was awaken by sound of horn blowing on it's own in my 2001 Montero Limited. The engine was off, car was locked, and alarm was on. I had to disconnect the battery until I figure out the problem. Couple of hours later I tried to reconnect the battery, but as soon as did the horn turned on. For now I have pulled out a relay that is turning on the horn just so I can drive. I have a factory service manual for this car, and it's either a relay that gets stuck in "on" position, or the switch that that is closed when you press on the steering wheel airbag cover. To solve the first would cost less then $20. To solve the second might cost as much as new airbag (over $1000).
    As soon as I solve it, I will post again with description and a solution for this problem.
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    My horn went off when my wife plugged in the cell phone charger to the middle console power point. Hit the horn on the steering wheel and it went off. Tried it again and same thing happened. Found under the dash, three more fuses that are separate from the fuse box. Replaced the blown fuse for the power point and all is well. You have to remove the lower part of the dash to get to the fuse. Remove four screws. The far right fuse is the horn one, I think, and is the easy to get to. The other two on the left are harder to change. Tighter area. To open fuse container, just lift the tab from the top down. The other two fuses on the left open from the bottom up, if I recall correctly. See owners manual for these three fuses location.
  • My 2001 Montero Sport just started doing the same thing with the horn. It seems to only do it when it is cold outside. It will continue to blow until I tap on the horn on the steering wheel. For now, I have removed the horn fuse.

I want to replace the horn relay, but I can't seem to find where it is located. Can anyone help me with this?

I called the local Mitsubishi dealer, and he said it is under the hood with the rest of the relays, next to the battery. I looked there, but I don't see it. Please help! :confuse:
  • On my 2001 Montero Sport, the fill port is located at the very front of the engine compartment, just above the radiator.
  • In May '07 I replaced the valve cover seals on my 99 montero sport. In oct/nov I noticed the burning oil smell had returned (you can smell it burning off the manifold). I took it back to the mechanic in Jan '08. He said they missed a leaky camshaft plug o-ring. It was about $400, and he didn't charge me the 2nd time in. Seems to have worked for now. He said there is another plug that if it leaks you have to drop the engine and that I should "consider my options" (a.k.a. think about getting rid of it). Prior to having the seals replaced I noticed the starter acting up. I thought it was just oil leaking onto it and it seemed to be cured once the seals were fixed. Now, it won't start at all. I turn the key and get one click. Had the alt tested - it's bad. I don't recall the alt being covered in oil, and the mechanic just washed the engine. I thought it was just the manifold and below that had oil on it. There's still a bunch of oil on the starter, but it works fine (although I had to jump it today to test the alt.) YOU NEED TO GET THAT LEAK FIXED - IT COULD CAUSE AN ENGINE FIRE! And, apparently, the oil jacks up everything in it's path.
  • Near the fire wall on the 2 heads of the engine is the cap with the o-ring in it. I think it is a couple of 13 mm head bolts holding them on. 2 dollar o-ring. The one on the passenger side is easy to get to. The other one on the driver side is a little harder to get to. I would suspect your boy changed the easy one. A 5 minute job hence the no charge. It sounds like the other is a starter problem. I would invest in a good book or go to the library and look at one of theirs. Buy some tools and a floor jack. You can do this. Or get you a friend that knows how to work on cars. Your tech is taking you for a ride. Only an opinion.
  • mmccaimmmccaim Posts: 1
    When i turn on my headlights, i dont see my odometer or anything because these lights dont work. Is that a fuse that i can replace
  • Can anyone please tell me how to get the drum back on the shoes on a 2000 Sport 2WD? I have it up on the jack right now and have it all put back together except this all important part. Thanks