Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• dr_zogdr_zog Member Posts: 1
    Isn't that what everything here is, personal opinion and experience? CR does a standard test on each vehicle, however, and has no vested interest or emotional attachment to any product, I understand. The standard equipment on each vehicle isn't exactly opinion and, of course, the choice is always the consumer's.

So thanks for your opinion but what's your point?
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    CR provides their opinion which is, very often, bias. They are putting in one column Subaru, 4 cyl, 165 hp, 2000 max tow, $22000 SUV and 4runner 6 cyl, 185 hp, 5000 max tow, $40000 SUV. On top of that comparing that to 200 hp, 5000 tow, $31000 SUV. It is obvious that Subaru will have better mpg, and it is obvious that Toyota would have better record (or better known, to be exact) than Montero. You see, Mitsubishi is very little known here in the US. Lately, in the past 2 years, Mitsubishi increased their sales by roughly 30%, as nobody else did. DC bought a stake at Mitsubishi, so they can get into the Asia where Mitsubishi is considered the most reliable vehicle. It scoring over Toyota and many others. In addition, there few topics involving Montero, and none of them is bashing Montero. I read all of them, and maybe there were few posts that mentioned problems, but I am not sure.
  • bikeman1bikeman1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a day or two away from buying a ms 4wd w/leather. Bigeasyal made some great points - but I would appreciate a little more detail. What's "flooring" that you refer to (I understand floor planning but don't know how that plays in a car dealership - I thought the holdback was supposed to cover them for a 90 day finance period or ??). ALSO I don't understand why they would get their adv. fee back ($350). And why did you go 2.9. I was thinking of putting 10k down and hoping to get 0% for 36 mo. Where can I go to see the financing plans offered (besides the habitual liars I'll have to buy it from--- hey I just thought, if they're "habitual" that would imply its a disiese, they don't *mean* to lie, they *have* to lie :). And lastly what's the $1000 rebate? Again, where could I go to see this info.

Thanks a ton to all the posters. I've already saved about 1k from the info here and at fool.com. Isn't the internet just the coolest thing? Amazing how so many business people still don't see it.

Direct replies to [email protected] are appreciated!

Thanks!
    Chris
  • carly4carly4 Member Posts: 1
    We will be purchasing an excursion sometime in the next 2 months. We want the PSD but have heard from some that maintenance is higher on these than the gasoline models, i.e, oil changes, pump replacements, etc. Is there any truth to that? If so, how much difference in price on maintenance between the two?
  • rando1rando1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 MS XLS This was the top of the line in 97. Sticker was about 33,000. The only problems I have had was to power antenas replaced, and the power door lock controller.
    The vehicles fit and finish are excellent, however after a year or so the felxible trim between the fender flares and the body of the vehicle began turning brown. The dealer is going to replace them for me. I don't think these vehicles were tested here in Arizona where the sun gets pretty strong. I see mamy older Toyotas and QX4 s with no simular problems
  • parrothead21parrothead21 Member Posts: 2
    just purchased an XLS 2WD for $28,500 out the door - taxes, fees, everything - about $200 over invoice in southern California - LOVE IT!!!

I am looking for cargo mat for back and cargo net as well - any suggestions where to look??

DONT BUY THE RODEO - they JUNK!!!
    THANKS!!
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I purchased a '00 Montero Sport Limited 4WD with the leather seat option. Through this forum, I found out about greenlight.com. They were able to put me in the vehicle for $29,987. This included everything except taxes and license. I appreciate the forum; it helped me get a great deal.
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Member Posts: 29
    I ordered a Husky cargo Liner for my Montero Sport. They come in Black, Tan, or Gray. I ordered the Tan to match the interior leather and carpet. With shipping, it was less than $115. Mitsubishi makes a liner it goes for around $80 from the dealer, but only comes in Black.

Almost all of the autoparts sites on the web carry Husky cargo liners/floor mats. Just check around for the cheapest price.

As far as the Cargo net, this can be purchased at almost any auto parts store. However, I opted for the Mitsubishi original equipment net from the dealer. It was made better, and has bottom hooks that match up with the cargo hooks in your montero sport. The cost at the dealership is about $30. Talk to your salesperson and see if they can get the net for you at dealer cost, about $18.

Email: [email protected]
    Just a reminder to those who post a question or want a specific reply. Please put your email address at the bottom of your POST, so that others can respond directly to you.

Thanx, [email protected]
  • gem10gem10 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Montero Sport has air bags?
    All Mitusbishi Vehicles have driver and passenger side air bags. Some also, come with side impact bags. The Montero Sport comes with driver and passenger.

Should you want some specific data on Montero Sports or how to negotiate the best deal on one, email me at: [email protected].

Note: I am NOT a dealer or salesperson, just a happy Mitsu owner that did a lot of research before my purchase.
  • johngiordanojohngiordano Member Posts: 8
    Assume no payment or interest loan until
    02/01...Loaded, red, leather, silencer.
    Mitsubishi will let you assume the loan if you
    qualify. Will add financial incentive to bring
    cost down to true invoice (reference Edmunds).
    email me at [email protected]
  • 22x22x Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at possibly purchasing a 2000 Montero Sport, but can't seem to find much crash test information. I've checked consumer reports & it didn't seem like they did much testing.

Does anyone know where I can get this information? For those of you that own one, can you share any information that you have. Thanks!!
  • drunkiqdrunkiq Member Posts: 3
    not sure if anyone has run into this - I have a 1999 ms limited - it was making rattling sounds and it was found that the torque on the drive shaft was not done right and my screw broke - then recently it totally stopped working and we found the bolt on the crankshaft broke (yep you guessed it - not tight enough)and that had to be replaced - I have heard of 2 other locals with this problem (1st one) and was just curious if any one else was having problems - the dealership obviously will not pull the engine and re-touque everything to spec so there is no telling what will break next
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    Saw on another board (Montero Sport Garage) discussion a couple months back about a "phantom" extra color (Blue) for the 2000 MS that wasn't included in the brochure and some dealers may not know about. Forgot about it until yesterday afternoon when I saw a new 2000 royal blue/suean beighe XLS on a lot in Portland, ME. It looks sweet! Very classy color combination, and first choice (albeit in LTD version) if I'm fortunate enough to get a sport in the coming months.
  • dufiedufie Member Posts: 1
    Hula Everyone:
    I am less than 2 days away from buying this almighty Monty Sport 2000 XLS 4WD. My dealer tells me he will sell at INVOICE PRICE with NO additional costs, but I will have to sign over the dealer incentive $$$ to him. Is this a great deal folks? Also how/where do I find info about the $1000-$1500 Rebates (Bikeman did you find something?).

Talk to me my little family. Reply to [email protected]

Thanks.
    CMB
    What you had was not Mitsubishi MADE engine. It was Mitsubishi design build by Chrysler. Original (and only) were used in the 1988 Dodge/Chrysler models (made in 1987) after that Chrysler was making them along with 3.3 liter. I had 1988 Cravan (bought in 1987) with the Misubishi's engine and transmission. Never had any problems, sold it in 1998 with 110000 miles, without even single visit to the dealer. Current 3.0 engine is totally modified.
  • gatlin1gatlin1 Member Posts: 1
    That makes me feel a whole lot better about purchasing Mitsubishi. I guess I should have expected something like that from DC.
    At least what I heard, is that Montero's are nearly trouble free. There are cars with problems in every make and origin, however, Montero is pretty well designed and would equal 4Runner.
  • rlong7rlong7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Montero Sport is getting VERY POOR GAS MILEAGE. Anyone else out there having the same problem? I have only 1500 miles on it, but it gets only 9 or 10 miles to a gallon (WHEW!!). What can I do to increase the gas mileage. HELP!!
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    On your poor gas mileage, I suggest that you take it to your dealer and have them check it out. My 2000 Limited 4x4 at present is averaging around 17+ MPG. The worst so far to date is 14.5 and the best, 21. And, has had only one minor rattle proble that was fixed. Been a great vehicle so far and the fuel economy seems to be getting better.
  • vickiesvickies Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my Montero Sport ES last night and already am in love with it. The ride is just great and for the price, I couldn't turn it down. The cab is really roomy and so many compartments for various "things". I highly recommend this car for anyone wanting a good SUV with a lot of options for the money. I got a great price!!
  • gregnmaryanngregnmaryann Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    We are looking at a (new) 99 Sport Ltd sitting on a dealer lot with about 5k miles. Kelley says 29,750 retail, and Edmunds says 23,760 market.... the dealer has a 33K sticker, asking 38K including "advertising".
    What is a fair price, and why are Kelley and Edmunds so far apart?
    Thanks,
    Mary Ann
    [email protected]
    Advertizing fee is 2%. Offer dealer $29000 out the door and see what happen.
  • crazyro1crazyro1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2000 Montero Sport LS. The dealer told me that I have to use Mitsubishi Oil filters, whether I change the oil myself (which I intend on doing) or whether I get it done somewhere. Is that a must? Has anyone had any problems with using a "generic" oil filter? Thanks.
    According to the technicians at the dealership, Mitsubishi oil filters have a check valve in the filter that do not allow all the oil to run back down into the oil pan when the engine is off. This allows the engine to keep oil in the crankcase when cold starting the engine, thus reducing engine wear. If you use off brand filters they may not offer this protection and in a few years your mitsubishi engine will be burning oil out the exhaust.
  • rogereldredgerogereldredge Member Posts: 13
    For what it's worth:

I have had my 2000 Sport XLS 2 wheel drive since 10/99. I have 11,100 miles on it and am averaging 19.5 miles per gallon.

No problems at all thus far.
  • smockinsmockin Member Posts: 1
    How often I need to have the oil change? According to the sales person and also from the owner manual, oil change can be done in every 7.5k. Is that right? Besides, I am also looking for some after market accessories, such as side steps, molding, and also alarm systems. Any recommendation?
  • ejoseejose Member Posts: 1
    The 4Runners have optional superchargers for their SR5 Highlander models. Does anyone know if we have one for MS LS 4x4 3.0 V6 available that is factory recommended. This will definitely provide much needed extra power for this baby.
    Thanks.
  • smoomaw2smoomaw2 Member Posts: 4
    A couple of questions that I was hoping for some help with. Are the $1500 rebate and the 0.9% financing on the Montero Sport mutually exclusive? It sounds from past posts that they are and I think that that is usual practice but I can't find a definitive answer online anywhere. Also, when I price out the car on one of the online dealers, say carsdirect.com, is the price given before the rebate. For example, if carsdirect prices an MS LS with no options at $24,476, does that mean that when I buy the car, I will still get a thousand back? I am assuming that does given that it is a factory to customer incentive. I appreciate all the discussion info.
    Dear Smoomaw2:

Please give an email address for anyone to send responses to you directly!! Yes, the rebate and low financing are exclusive. If you qualify you get to choose from the low interest rate or the rebate, if you do not qualify for the financing you only get the rebate. Interest rates on current programs is 1.9% not 0.9% and rebates are as much as $2,000 now. Please write to me and I can give you some detailed information on how to get the best price. Carsdirect is not the cheapest way to go. You can do better on your own. For instance I can get you an LS 2wheel drive with the security system and preferred package for roughly $23,175 or $3,150 off the MSRP. This includes the current rebate and all that would be added is tax, title, and license. No other hidden fees or charges such as protection plans, undercoating, flooring fees, etc.

To help, I need to know what state you live in, what is the combined state and local sales tax rate % applicable to your area, and what model you are looking for (ES, LS, XLS, Limited, 2 or 4 wheel drive)?

NOTE TO ANYONE WANTING ASSISTANCE FROM THIS BOARD--- PLEASE PUT A RETURN EMAIL ADDRESS WHEN YOU POST!!!!!

[email protected]
    You sent a request to [email protected]
    However, your return email address is showing undeliverable. I can save you big money. A dealer here in Louisiana will sell for $200 over invoice then you have the choice of either applying the $1,500 to $1,750 rebate to further lower that price, or you can take the 0.9% financing, your choice. But I need a way to contact you. Please email me with a daytime fax number and I will fax you the details.
  • camel555camel555 Member Posts: 2
    i bought MS LTD 4wd three weeks back. it is really very good. i had a long drive during this long weekend into smoky mountains and drove in two weeks around 2500 miles. it is great.

i want to know the overdrive switch which they mention in the specs in this site. where is this switch located in the vehicle.

thankx

[email protected]
  • shay4shay4 Member Posts: 1
    I AM GOING TO BUY A 2000 MITSIBISHI MONTERO SPORT XLS 2WD PROBABLY TOMORROW. THE BEST PRICE WE CAN FIND IS ABOUT 26,000. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A BETTER PRICE THAN THAT? PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW, THANKS
    [email protected]
    There is no overdrive switch on the 2000 Montero Sport. It is a 4-speed selector, 1,2,3,OD. If you do want overdrive, move the transmission shifter to 3. This takes it out of overdrive.
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    Usually a rule of thumb is 3000 miles for oil changes. (cheap insurance). Some will let the oil change go to 4k miles if there is a lot of highway miles on the oil.
    The point about the oil filters. Hmmm. Last I knew all oil filters had a 'check valve' in them. Just look at the bottom of the filter and you'll see a rubber flap that covers holes (these are the inlet to the filter). If curiousity is still eating you, go buy a dealer filter, one from the parts store (fram, wix, purolator, etc) and the cheapest filter you can get from wal-mart. Take a hack saw/can opener and begin the operation. You'll most likely find the differences in the filter element and in the gauge (thickness) of the outer jacket. If you find a check valve, HORRAY! If you don't, take the filter back to the service manager and ask him/her where it is. Let us know.
    Thanks
    Nate
  • tascam4utascam4u Member Posts: 1
    hi folks,

I Just purchased a 2000 Montero Sport Ls 2WD for 21,680 out the door price. I get free oil changes for the 1st year and for the life of the SUV, they are $9.99. I got it for 0% down and 2.9% financing. Is this a good deal? I did however, leave off the running boards and the roof rack. I never place anything on top of my SUV, so I said why pay the extra charge. I also figured could get the running boards and install them at an after market shop for much less than what the dealer wants for them. The dealership was turning over the Mitsubishi line over to another dealership and it wanted to sell as many as possible that day. Did I make out or what??
  • camel555camel555 Member Posts: 2
    all

i want to know does anyone had similar problem in ms ltd 4wd. i have driven only 2600 miles sofar after i bought it last month, last two days i am getting an noise like sound of air trying to penetrate from the front side passenger door near the joint of the door at the speed 50 miles and above if u drive less than 50 miles it stops!

thankx

[email protected]
    Mine doesn't. Has 9,000 miles. Have dealer check it out.
  • stevestone1stevestone1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Baton Rouge and am planning on buying a Montero. Would you please e-mail me and let me know what dealership it is that is selling for $200 over invoice. I would greatly appreciate it. I would have e-mailed you but there wasn't an e-mail address.

Mine is (are you ready for this?? :) = [email protected]

Thank you soooooo much!
  • gofishgirlgofishgirl Member Posts: 1
    I went into a dealership recently and was offered a Mist. Montero Sport LS 2WD for supposedly $100 over invoice. I didn't qualify for 1.9% but was able to get 4.4% from another finance company (not Mitsubishi). The dealer didn't mention anything about a rebate. Shouldn't I still qualify for the rebate and if so, how much is it up to on the Sport LS now? If possible, please email responses to: [email protected] Thanks
    You do qualify for the rebate. The deal was to get a rebate or financing.
    I am not a salesperson or a dealer. Just a satisfied MS owner that did a lot of research that I would like to share with others rather than see it go to waste. But in order for me to help I need the following information:

What state do you live in?
    What is the combined state and local sales tax rate % you will be subject to?
    WHAT MODEL MONTERO SPORT ARE YOU CONSIDERING? THERE ARE FOUR MODEL LINES; ES, LS, XLS, & LTD?
    Do you want 2 or 4 wheel drive?
    And Finally, what options in the vehicle are you looking for? Leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, security system?

I need an email address that is capable of openning microsoft word and excel files OR a daytime fax number and a name to whose attention I should send the information.

I have original dealer invoices with the holdback and flooring amounts, as well as the ad fee charged for each model? I also know of a few dealers that will sell for less than 1 % over invoice no additional fees or charges. And you can opt for the refunds to further reduce your price.

So contact me at [email protected]
  • yinghyingh Member Posts: 6
    I need to make a decision quick. My dealer is willing to sell a MS Limited at invoice price, which is the same as Edmund reports ($28524 (base)+$1008 (for the leather), plus $169 processing fee. Is this a good price? I appreciate your advice.
    The price for this Limited is around $33000 so you are getting nice discount. Also I beleive there is a factory discount, but even if it is not applied you are getting a good price.
  • smghutsmghut Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a Montero Sport ES. Really like the car. But it sits quite high and looks rather narrow. Anyone heard anything about rollover problems? I don't know what to make about all the talk about SUV rollovers.
  • tbakke1tbakke1 Member Posts: 1
    Check out the following site: www.hwysafety.org
    It features insurance institute crash tests. Note that the Montero Sport receives a poor rating and looks horribly mangled in the pictures. I would pass based on this alone. Rollover hard facts: SUV are roughly three times as likely to roll than cars, but are safer in car-car crashes because they ride over the vehicle they collide with. The montero is not more rollover prone than other SUV in this class. Personally I prefer the Galant ES v6 (I traded my 99' Montero sport in 2 months ago). It has more options (traction control, side air bags) and is faster than the sluggish montero. Also the montero is truckish, read: bouncy. Yeah, its got great looks (runaway most stylish SUV), but its wise to look beyond the sheetmetal.
  • sfhelpsfhelp Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 2000 Montero Sport LS, 2 WD with both avail. option packages (security, remote keyless entry & roof rack, side step). I want to know what a good price is. Can anyone tell me what they paid - price before fees, taxes and rebate? I am being offered a rebate of $1750 which sounds good. But, what should the "base" price be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    email me at [email protected].
    Thanks!
  • whutchwhutch Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of the smoking problems that the Mitsubishi vehicles have after about 60 or 70,000 miles? Is there any truth to the distributor cap problems? Was there an electrical problem that most have? I like the Montero Sport but I want a car for the long hall and I would like to know that it won't be in the shop after a certain miles.
  • jkillion2jkillion2 Member Posts: 2
    According to my salesperson, the reason for the great 2000 MS deals is the 2001 is about to come out. Has anyone heard anything about these 2001's? Is there a web page that lists what the differences will be?