Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• mikejhmikejh Posts: 1
    Has anyone noticed a slight ripple where the upper portion of front bumper valence panel wraps around and meets the lower wheel well flair. My Montero has this ripple on the left side (the right side does not have this ripple). I have taken it to the dealer and the service manager said I had hit something to cause this. I said "Bull" and that it looks like it was made (molded with a defect) this way. Anyhow, I am waiting for the Zone manager to come around, take a look, and make a decision.

P.S. My body shop said I would have had much more extensive damage in other places of the bumper if this ripple had been caused by hitting something. In addition, the bumper valence panel is plastic and is supposed to flex. This worries me, because if a small tap on the bumber did cause this, it may drive up insurance rates even higher.

Mike
  • jeffragjeffrag Posts: 4
    I just returned from a 1500 mile trip in my 2000 Montero Sport LTD. It performed very well.

There was one problem some of you may have experienced.

Severe wind noise! I mean a high-pitched noise that given enough time could drive you crazy.

After several stops to diagnosis the problem I discovered the noise was coming from the windshield and coming into the cab from under the steering column.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is Mitsu aware of it?

What are they doing about it?
  • alexpalexp Posts: 70
    100% agree with you! In my area Limited 4Runner is $39500
  • reddogsreddogs Posts: 353
    I went by the Mitsubishi dealer and he had a Royal Blue 2000 Montero Sport LS the color which is not listed anywhere in their brochures/info. This is the color I'm looking for but in the XLS, now I talked to the salesmen and they said they had not seen any other blue in any model come in and couldn't tell me why this one had come in. Whats the scoop, I thought the last blue came in on the 1999 models, its what I'm looking for but I don't know if I should make a offer on this one or wait to see if any blue XLS are coming in. I would appreciate ANY info on this one.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Posts: 160
    Jeffrag;

I have a 2000 Mits. Limited 4x4 Sport and have no wind noise.

Bigeasyal;

Under your topic #202, Not all suvs have leaf springs. Pathfinder, 4Runner, Jeep, have coils. But, as you, I did a comparison of most of the suvs, and bought the Sport because of bang for the buck. Only have I seen Nissan Pathfinder with better prices on the 2000. But a weak engine and some other items I did not like.
  • mon2000mon2000 Posts: 1
    Hello everyone.

I am planning to buy 2000 MS Montero Sport LS and got a good deal in a different state.Does someone have a buying experience?
    What would be PRO's and CON's doing that?
    It was my understanding from the dealer that the blue is only offered in the LS model. According to the dealer, it was a new color in middle 99 model year, was going to be eliminated for 00 but was added late in the decision process. As such no one knows it is available. If anybody knows anything on the blue I'd really like to know....
    I read somewhere that Mitsu Sport is burning lots of oil, is it truth?
  • Assume no payment or interest loan until
    02/01...Loaded, red, leather, silencer.
    Mitsubishi will let you assume the loan if you
    qualify. Will add financial incentive to bring
    cost down to true invoice (reference Edmunds).
    email me at hokies@prodigy.net
  • md2002md2002 Posts: 142
    johngiordano, why are you selling your MS Limited already?

Just curious.
  • md2002: Selling because I have military orders t go overseas...email me at hokies@prodigy.net for a great deal!
    Just heard from a Mitsu manager, Blue is back on the 2000 Montero Sports LS and XLS. Not sure why it was brought out so late but there are dealers who have LS's on the ground and XLS's on order.
  • zhenliuzhenliu Posts: 11
    I am looking for MS LS/XLS, which have no ABS. Is ABS very important? When will 2001 MS come ?
  • md2002md2002 Posts: 142
    I was told the 2001 models will arrive in mid to late August, so you may see some hot deals mid summer. If you are planning on controlling that big SUV you should get ABS, and I believe it comes with it standard at least on Ltd model.
    The dealer told me that Miti remove ABS from ES/LS/XLS/ since few people use it correctly. The dealer also offer me $4,000 off from LS. Is it a good deal ?
    I want to buy my first SUV bwteen MS LS and Nissan pathfind. I use it in city insteaf of off road. Which is better fro me ?
    At 6,000 miles:

Problems: Just a rattle under the dash that was fixed under warranty.

Average over last 1000 miles.
    Mpg City: 16
    Mpg Hwy: 19

Overall:
    Worst: 14.5
    Best: 21

Options added: K&n Air Filter and opened a hole in front air pod that goes into air filter box so it can breath more air. Plan to remove pod and add a second air intake like the Larger Montero has.

Otherwise, it has held up and run flawlessly.
    I have read in some other posts that claim the Montero - Montero Sport is using oil. I just changed mine, 2000 MS LTD with 3.5, and showed none used. Has anybody have this problem and with what engine.
    Consumer Report provides THEIR OPINION, the CHOICE belongs to the consumer. There are no perfect cars that have everything (maybe ML series are close to that). If CR suggests that Kia Sportage is better than Forester, will you buy it? or you will buy something that you LIKE?
    If the Subaru Forester wasn't so ugly , I might go look at it, but it doesn't look like a car or truck, its in a twitlight zone all of its own.
  • dr_zogdr_zog Posts: 1
    Isn't that what everything here is, personal opinion and experience? CR does a standard test on each vehicle, however, and has no vested interest or emotional attachment to any product, I understand. The standard equipment on each vehicle isn't exactly opinion and, of course, the choice is always the consumer's.

So thanks for your opinion but what's your point?
    CR provides their opinion which is, very often, bias. They are putting in one column Subaru, 4 cyl, 165 hp, 2000 max tow, $22000 SUV and 4runner 6 cyl, 185 hp, 5000 max tow, $40000 SUV. On top of that comparing that to 200 hp, 5000 tow, $31000 SUV. It is obvious that Subaru will have better mpg, and it is obvious that Toyota would have better record (or better known, to be exact) than Montero. You see, Mitsubishi is very little known here in the US. Lately, in the past 2 years, Mitsubishi increased their sales by roughly 30%, as nobody else did. DC bought a stake at Mitsubishi, so they can get into the Asia where Mitsubishi is considered the most reliable vehicle. It scoring over Toyota and many others. In addition, there few topics involving Montero, and none of them is bashing Montero. I read all of them, and maybe there were few posts that mentioned problems, but I am not sure.
  • bikeman1bikeman1 Posts: 1
    I'm a day or two away from buying a ms 4wd w/leather. Bigeasyal made some great points - but I would appreciate a little more detail. What's "flooring" that you refer to (I understand floor planning but don't know how that plays in a car dealership - I thought the holdback was supposed to cover them for a 90 day finance period or ??). ALSO I don't understand why they would get their adv. fee back ($350). And why did you go 2.9. I was thinking of putting 10k down and hoping to get 0% for 36 mo. Where can I go to see the financing plans offered (besides the habitual liars I'll have to buy it from--- hey I just thought, if they're "habitual" that would imply its a disiese, they don't *mean* to lie, they *have* to lie :). And lastly what's the $1000 rebate? Again, where could I go to see this info.

Thanks a ton to all the posters. I've already saved about 1k from the info here and at fool.com. Isn't the internet just the coolest thing? Amazing how so many business people still don't see it.

Direct replies to Bikeman@InLine.com are appreciated!

Thanks!
    Chris
  • carly4carly4 Posts: 1
    We will be purchasing an excursion sometime in the next 2 months. We want the PSD but have heard from some that maintenance is higher on these than the gasoline models, i.e, oil changes, pump replacements, etc. Is there any truth to that? If so, how much difference in price on maintenance between the two?
  • rando1rando1 Posts: 2
    I have a 97 MS XLS This was the top of the line in 97. Sticker was about 33,000. The only problems I have had was to power antenas replaced, and the power door lock controller.
    The vehicles fit and finish are excellent, however after a year or so the felxible trim between the fender flares and the body of the vehicle began turning brown. The dealer is going to replace them for me. I don't think these vehicles were tested here in Arizona where the sun gets pretty strong. I see mamy older Toyotas and QX4 s with no simular problems
  • just purchased an XLS 2WD for $28,500 out the door - taxes, fees, everything - about $200 over invoice in southern California - LOVE IT!!!

I am looking for cargo mat for back and cargo net as well - any suggestions where to look??

DONT BUY THE RODEO - they JUNK!!!
    THANKS!!
  • anonymousanonymous Posts: 314
    I purchased a '00 Montero Sport Limited 4WD with the leather seat option. Through this forum, I found out about greenlight.com. They were able to put me in the vehicle for $29,987. This included everything except taxes and license. I appreciate the forum; it helped me get a great deal.
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Posts: 29
    I ordered a Husky cargo Liner for my Montero Sport. They come in Black, Tan, or Gray. I ordered the Tan to match the interior leather and carpet. With shipping, it was less than $115. Mitsubishi makes a liner it goes for around $80 from the dealer, but only comes in Black.

Almost all of the autoparts sites on the web carry Husky cargo liners/floor mats. Just check around for the cheapest price.

As far as the Cargo net, this can be purchased at almost any auto parts store. However, I opted for the Mitsubishi original equipment net from the dealer. It was made better, and has bottom hooks that match up with the cargo hooks in your montero sport. The cost at the dealership is about $30. Talk to your salesperson and see if they can get the net for you at dealer cost, about $18.

Email: BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Posts: 29
    Just a reminder to those who post a question or want a specific reply. Please put your email address at the bottom of your POST, so that others can respond directly to you.

Thanx, BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
  • gem10gem10 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Montero Sport has air bags?