Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Motorcycle people?

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    The Goldwing is a nice reliable touring bike, although as you say very heavy. Not a sport bike definitely and I'd hate to have to pick one up by myself.

do you remember another 6 cylinder bike called the Benelli Sei? I believe they made a 750 and a 900. It was an upright 6. I think a flat 6 makes more sense in a motorcycle.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    I've heard of Benelli but don't know that model. A Goldwing isn't as hard to pick up as you would think. The crash bars keep it from tipping all the way over. You kind of lean down and use your legs to push it back up.

I found out the hard way trying to get to my friend's cabin on a sand/gravel road. Off road vehicles these are not! :blush:
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Had a 750 Honda Shadow for 6 years. Fun for cruising around town, and 500 or less mile trips. Saved a lot of $$$ on gas taking the bike instead of the car or truck to work. I want to get an 1100, but the wife always has other ideas. :cry:
  • Saw a sad thing a few yrs ago. I pulled up next to a somewhat short older guy on a loaded Goldwing. He had made two mistakes. One: He had pulled up to the red light smack in the middle of the lane right over oil leak droppings. Two: He had his 275lb sweetie on the back. As luck would have it, his foot slipped and down went everything. What made matters worse than the embarassment of dropping his beautifull machine his sweetie gets up and proceeds to beat him with a huge purse. I jumped out of my car and wedged between the two of them and said I'd give him a hand righting the bike. I really felt sad for the guy.
    LOL!

I never rode heavy bikes for this very reason. The BMWs, Ducati and the British bikes were relatively light machines (for road bikes) and I could easily lay them over or god forbid, pick them up.
    1997 BMW 800S -- 400 lbs.

1997 Ducati 748 -- 410 lbs

1997 Honda VTR 1000 -- 452 lbs.

1997 Harley Davidson Heritage -- 700 lbs./ V-Rod 652 lbs.

Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 -- 800 lbs.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    What kind of Harley did you ride? I (actually my wife made me) went from a Dyna Sport to an Ultra. I could not believe how easy it is to ride - and great on the interstate when you have to. I much prefer old highways and county roads.
    A Harley is easy to ride in a straight line if you go 55 mph but not if you try to corner with it at anything approaching high speed on country roads. It's a lot of work and has a very unsettling feeling about it. I'd guess the smaller, lighter stripped down models, with aftermarket suspension and better tires and a good rider might be "okay" but any Euro bike will kill it in any dimension of performance except noise and repairs. :P
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    I had a Dyna Sport that was ok on gravel, but a Road King and abouve are pavement cruisers.
    Well most big bikes don't like gravel very much. I found BMWs to be pretty good on rough ground because of the long fork travel however...I could take the BMW places I wouldn't dare take most larger bikes.

But you're right, Harleys are really best for straight-line leisurely cruising. They do that well, if you can stand some vibration...which you can avoid by not going too fast. Weight = stability as long as you don't try to change direction too fast. This would be true of any heavy motorcycle, not just a Harley. There are some other porkers out there from Japan.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I'm interested in hearing from other riders. Weekend tourers to commuters. Cruisers - tourers - sportbikes - duallys - dirt, it doesn't matter. They're all good.

Garmin Zumos? Trailering? Cross-country tours?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I jumped in with both feet almost four years ago. I have a 1996 Speed Triple fitted with six-pot front calipers, a Triumph/Sebring 3-into-1 "Racing/Off-Road" pipe, and a seat cowl. It's more than fast enough for me; it can keep up with a lot of middleweight sportbikes but the lack of a faring makes cruising at anything over 80 far too tiring.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    I borrowed one of these for a couple of weeks back in my HS days.

World's Most Popular Motorcycle Returns to America (Wired)
    I sometimes find myself tempted by a Royal Enfield or a Ural, although I'm virtually certain either one would be a royal PITA to maintain...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I started riding as my primary transportation about four years ago, too. I was coming from smaller dualsport (street legal dirt) bikes like KLR250 (great alternative to the scooter, OK for freeway, but I only got 80mpg out of it) and DR and DR-Z400 (not at all similar to a scooter and a hyperactive little 400 thumper that sucks fuel from fuel stop to the next opportunity).

I appreciate the "adult" upright seating position like a cruiser, without the weight of all that heavy chrome, so I really love my VStrom. It's nothing to look at or fast like your Triple, but it's both a great tour bike and efficient commuter, easy to handle in traffic and parking lots. And instead of leaning forward and getting cramps like my friends on sportbikes, I find the position comfortable on long rides and therapeutic to my already sore spine.

I commute every day on the Strom. It's plenty quick for me, and I keep pace with my friends without a problem. But I can go farther between fuel stops. I'm back at school full-time so I don't get a lot of time on weekends, but at least once a month I join my friends on long group rides.

I'm in So Cal (north SFV), if you want to get together for a ride send me a PM. Summer's coming up, and it will be easier to schedule.

Yeah, I love my cars but use them sparingly now. I really enjoy being on the bike, except when it rains (and how often does that happen in So Cal anymore?).
    My personal favorite part about my motorcycles is not having to work on them often. I can appreciate the exotics (exotic is a euphemism when used on a Ural) and love looking over bikes you don't see often (another GSXR?) but want to ride my bikes rather than wait for parts to fix 'em. Just sayin'.

The little scooter pic is "cute" but practical only in crowded urban centers, when I feel safer on a more agile bike. Out here in suburbia, I get on a freeway right at a suburban interchange to get to campus, and that traffic is moving fast and cares little about the safety of motorcyclists. I find the best defense is to keep pace.

Riders on this forum understand not all motorcyclists fit a "biker" description of being on a bike to challenge death by Buick (or Camry, Windstar, Escalade, or any other 2+ton rolling phone booths). Plus, I guess I like to control my own gear ratios. But I hope more people use scooters (as well as bikes with fixed gear ratios) to help cut our dependence on foreign oil, have some fun, and unclog our streets. But make safety (and spread courtesy) a priority.
    I looked long and hard at the VStrom; it's an excellent bike. The S3 was just too inexpensive to refuse. Thanks for the ride invitation but I live in Kentucky. Let me know if you are ever up my way.

• need a value on a suzuki 2005 sv650s 1400 miles on it
    I think NADA does bikes. Edmunds just does cars.
    edited October 2011