Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Motorcycle people?

2»

Comments

• la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I'm interested in hearing from other riders. Weekend tourers to commuters. Cruisers - tourers - sportbikes - duallys - dirt, it doesn't matter. They're all good.

Garmin Zumos? Trailering? Cross-country tours?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,470
    I jumped in with both feet almost four years ago. I have a 1996 Speed Triple fitted with six-pot front calipers, a Triumph/Sebring 3-into-1 "Racing/Off-Road" pipe, and a seat cowl. It's more than fast enough for me; it can keep up with a lot of middleweight sportbikes but the lack of a faring makes cruising at anything over 80 far too tiring.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,506
    I borrowed one of these for a couple of weeks back in my HS days.

World's Most Popular Motorcycle Returns to America (Wired)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I sometimes find myself tempted by a Royal Enfield or a Ural, although I'm virtually certain either one would be a royal PITA to maintain...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I started riding as my primary transportation about four years ago, too. I was coming from smaller dualsport (street legal dirt) bikes like KLR250 (great alternative to the scooter, OK for freeway, but I only got 80mpg out of it) and DR and DR-Z400 (not at all similar to a scooter and a hyperactive little 400 thumper that sucks fuel from fuel stop to the next opportunity).

I appreciate the "adult" upright seating position like a cruiser, without the weight of all that heavy chrome, so I really love my VStrom. It's nothing to look at or fast like your Triple, but it's both a great tour bike and efficient commuter, easy to handle in traffic and parking lots. And instead of leaning forward and getting cramps like my friends on sportbikes, I find the position comfortable on long rides and therapeutic to my already sore spine.

I commute every day on the Strom. It's plenty quick for me, and I keep pace with my friends without a problem. But I can go farther between fuel stops. I'm back at school full-time so I don't get a lot of time on weekends, but at least once a month I join my friends on long group rides.

I'm in So Cal (north SFV), if you want to get together for a ride send me a PM. Summer's coming up, and it will be easier to schedule.

Yeah, I love my cars but use them sparingly now. I really enjoy being on the bike, except when it rains (and how often does that happen in So Cal anymore?).
    My personal favorite part about my motorcycles is not having to work on them often. I can appreciate the exotics (exotic is a euphemism when used on a Ural) and love looking over bikes you don't see often (another GSXR?) but want to ride my bikes rather than wait for parts to fix 'em. Just sayin'.

The little scooter pic is "cute" but practical only in crowded urban centers, when I feel safer on a more agile bike. Out here in suburbia, I get on a freeway right at a suburban interchange to get to campus, and that traffic is moving fast and cares little about the safety of motorcyclists. I find the best defense is to keep pace.

Riders on this forum understand not all motorcyclists fit a "biker" description of being on a bike to challenge death by Buick (or Camry, Windstar, Escalade, or any other 2+ton rolling phone booths). Plus, I guess I like to control my own gear ratios. But I hope more people use scooters (as well as bikes with fixed gear ratios) to help cut our dependence on foreign oil, have some fun, and unclog our streets. But make safety (and spread courtesy) a priority.
    I looked long and hard at the VStrom; it's an excellent bike. The S3 was just too inexpensive to refuse. Thanks for the ride invitation but I live in Kentucky. Let me know if you are ever up my way.

• need a value on a suzuki 2005 sv650s 1400 miles on it
    I think NADA does bikes. Edmunds just does cars.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited October 2011

• Hi friends, always I like it the road and adventure, my first motorcycle was Xtreet UM, of "UM Motos" and truly I am a motorcycle lover, who wishes to speak on these topics, welcome to my circle of friends.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,707
    Interesting...never seen one, guess they aren't sold in US/Canada. Might be a viable alternative to clunky Chinese bikes.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,707
    Motorcycles are itching me again - probably because I know that now in the offseason and end of year is the best time to buy, at least from a dealer. I think I will not buy a Ducati, not now anyway - not until I have a good year or so on the road to know what I want to do. The build/material quality of the Monsters I looked at seemed ages ahead of the Japanese bikes I inspected - but at a high price. I think I am going to pursue a little Ninja or the used SV650 that is still languishing at a local lot. I want something with ABS, budget 5K or so max. Or do I...

These now "vintage" bikes had big appeal to me when I was a kid, and this one looks good

This looks decent

Or this, if it had its needs addressed

These are all half the price of modern bikes I would want. I see potential future collectible status for such bikes, if they are really pristine. I remember as a kid, liking some 80s style sportbike (FZR or Suzuki?) that had white wheels, can't remember what it was.
2»