Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

latrarlatrar Posts: 3
Got information on a new model (2000)for the Grand Vitara (GV) 12 inches will be added to the wheel base..... the car wll be lenghten to increase cargo room and add a third row of seats...the rear door will be larger to make it easier to get to the rear row of seats... the engine size will be increase from 2.7 to 2.5 and horsepower increased to 188 ....sound like a Great SUV - is supposed to come out the summer of 2000

Met w/ the Suzuki REP today @ Auto Place Suzuki in Williamsville, NY .. he told me that the AC will shut down (overload) @ very cold temp and that the fix is to add a resistor in the AC electrical line They will be installing the resistor under warranty tomorrow .. this should fix the problem

Comments

• Latrar,

I wonder if new GV will have a different name or modified name since changes appear significant enough to warrant having both models available. Was any info available on total weight, towing capacity, and availability of rear pop-out side windows? Adding third seat and other changes may open GV to new markets, but at 15 plus feet and 3800 pounds (my estimates based on your data), I wonder if this will still be a mini-ute. Also, what will happen to its off-road capability as well as relative ease to drive?
  • latrarlatrar Posts: 3
    I did not ask him the questions about weight,towing capacity or pop out rear windows .....I did ask him about price and the Suzuki Rep said it would be about $2000 more than the regular GV he also said if will have the same off road capabilities
  • swest1swest1 Posts: 9
    To latrar:

Are you saying that all 1999 GVs need this AC fix?

thanks

swest
  • rbalkrbalk Posts: 15
    There is a new EGroup mailing list for the Suzuki
    Grand Vitara owners. You are welcome to subscribe.
    Only you can do is just send an email to
    suzukigrandvitara-subscribe@egroups.com with blank
    subject and message and then you are automatcilly
    subscribed. You can click www.egroups.com and
    see for yourself.
  • danl1danl1 Posts: 5
    The Suzuki Canada site has been updated with specs on the 2000 model. It's available with an Adventure package, a Leather package and a Limited Package. MSRPs are up a few hundred bucks from last year. http://www.suzuki.ca
  • dan127dan127 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link, Danl1... but now I am confused-

Several things caught my attention: first of all, the U.S. site has not been updated- still 1999.

Also, I noticed that every package of the GV except the JX dumped the cassette and got a CD player instead (like Honda did). On the Edmund's site, it says the "+" packages will add a 6 CD-changer in the back, but makes no mention of a standard CD player. Looks like we still got the cassette.

Another thing- there is a "wood trim" option for the GV on the Canadian site, but Edmunds says nothing about it. In fact, I looked at the GV Limited here in San Antonio, and I saw no trim of that sort- I imagine that it looks very nice.

I'm sure there are many other discrepancies that I haven't mentioned... which brings me to this question:

Why aren't WE being provided with these options? They are after all options, and if people don't want 'em they won't buy 'em.

Maybe... maybe Suzuki has more leverage in Canada to expand options and target a more "luxury-hungry" niche of buyers? I have a feeling that Suzuki is just targeting the BUDGET-minded buyers in the U.S. to stay competitive against the other budget makes. I know I'm really reaching with this theory, but it's all I've got! =)

Does anyone have any insight on this matter?
  • Got my GV back after 2 wks being at the dealership. They finally tracked down the squeak in it. After pulling their hair out they finally discovered it was the hood. After really getting the squeak going good they slowed down to a crawl and took a chance. The popped the hood and it stopped immediately. The pulled over, closed it and it was back. They made an adjustment to the hood and that took care of it. Mine is a 99 with 14K on it, other than this squeak and an A/C drain plug problem I have had no problems.
  • danl1danl1 Posts: 5
    Dan127: There's an interesting press release on the Suzuki Canada site.
    "With the arrivals of new Korean entries, who have adopted price driven strategies, Suzuki plans to rise above their competition, by raising the brand Suzuki. Their goal is to make a connection with consumers solely based on the fact that Suzuki automobiles are built better than they need to be."
    http://www.suzuki.ca/en/pr.htm
    The Suzuki marketing phrase for this year is "Suzuki. Engineered Beyond Belief."

I've noticed a few other differences betweeen US/Canadian specs. 2WD and remote keyless entry aren't available in Canada. The Canadian accessories catalog has some chrome items in the pictures but notes that these aren't available. They are probably available in Japan or other markets.

Most of the Canadian accessories are listed at this link:
    http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/gv-custo.htm
    I've seen the wood trim set at my dealer. It is a 9 piece set that snaps on over the current trim. With the current US/Cdn exchange rate, it might just be worthwhile to get some stuff from Canada. Maybe I should start a web business to sell Canadian accessories to Americans. :)
  • kellybkellyb Posts: 23
    If it scratches less easily than the plastic, I'd sure give the wood trim a try.

Kelly B
    '99JLX+, 5 speed, 18,800 mi
  • I just got back from my garage (not the Suzuki dealer garage), $618 poorer. I had noticed vibrations while driving, particularly in the 45-55 mph range, getting worse and worse. My mechanic has faithfully rotated tires (car now has 15K miles)and said the tires were "chunking". My understanding of chunking (from him) is they have a wavy surface, not a completely round one. Anyway today I went in for an alignment because vibrations getting worse and felt through steering wheel. Tire dealer and my mechanic drove ti and decided that the tires were no good - the original Bridgestone tires that came with the car. They said although Bridgestone DOES make a good tire, the tires that come with the GV are about the worst of what they manufacture. Although these tires still had a lot of tread on them, they were basically "goners" after only 15K. They said basically the tire was not suited well to the car in addition to being cheap. They recommended I put on Michelins and boy, what a difference!! But with a price of $139 each, I find myself very irritated that I have to replace the (junk) tires that come with an otherwise great car - why doesn't Suzuki put something decent on up front? By the way, there is still a little vibration in the 45-55 mph range but I understand the Suzuki garage has said this is due to the drive chain (rather than a rubber one) and natural for this car....watch those Bridgestones!
    You know, I have done a lot of reading and almost EVERYTHING has pointed to the quality of the tires that come with the car. At first I thought it was just hard-core off-roading aficionados. But I am learning (too quickly) that the tires are the persistent complaint of GV owners...

Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the rest of the pack? I am disturbed to hear about this, because it could potentially be dangerous.

My final question is, even with this problem (list others if you wish), do you feel your purchase was worth it? (It would help in the decision making process of GV vs. CRV).
    Another thing I forgot to ask- is it hard to find tires that fit the GV? I read somewhere that the specifications for tire size were a rare find.
  • I had heard "rumors" that Bridgestone were "marginal tires, depending on what you got. I guess, just naively, I assumed that a NEW car would have decent tires, but this is just not the case today (and Suzuki isn't the only one...) My mechanic was quick to point out that he couldn't find anything wrong with the tread - that they appeared safe, but because of the "chunking", he felt the quality was definitely subpar and the cause of the vibrations. On your other questions, I,too, do a LOT of reading and checking before any major purchase and my research paid-off - the GV is a very GOOD value as per the reviews and I am very happy with it except for the tire issue. Even my mechanic said what a well-built car it was, to quote, "You couldn't ask for a better little rig than that." I have had a LOT of compliments on it (have the Planet Gold) and am very pleased. In fact, we're thinking of getting a second for my wife. I juust wish Suzuki would address the tire issue, and no, it doesn't seem to be a problem to find the right tire size. I live in a town of 17,000 and the local tire guy had 'em right off.

I'm sure the CRV is a nice car, but I didn't want to pay all the extra for the name and with much less power.
  • There have been several posts around 200 to 250 about the quality of the OEM tires. For what it is worth, the OEM tires that came with my 1995 GMC Jimmy lasted only about 20K miles. And that was on a $30K vehicle. So if you get 15K miles from an OEM set on a $20K vehicle, you are still coming out ahead.

Jriley5, which Michelin did you purchase? Also, has anyone else tried Continental CH95 Grand Touring tires?
  • I too, notice a humming sound at around 60 mph. It's definitely there but I only find it mildly annoying. It seems to disappear going about 67 mph or over.

Gone2sea - I'll check the Michelin tires for specs. and report back later (today, hopefully). They ride is much smoother and are also quieter. By the way, if you buy 4 Michelins right now, you get a free emergency road kit (have to send for it)that my mechanic said looked great (had one at the tire store on display) and worth over $100. Helps to make one feel better about paying $139/tire!

As a note, when I was complaining to my mechanic that the car only had 15K on it and the tires couldn't be shot already, his son, also a mechanic working there, overheard and said, "those Bridgestones are junk tires." His father said "no, not all Bridgestones are crappy." and the son rejoined, "that particular one is crappy - I've seen a lot of problems with them. They make a few good tires but this isn't one of them"

Other than this stuff, very happy with my GV. Just installed front window visors/windshields (which will keep the rain from dripping inside the car) and the roof rack crossbars (and I agree, the instructions are terrible!)

Hope all this helps...
  • Gone2sea: Specs on the Michelin tires I just bought for my GV:

Radial XSE 99T
    P235/60R16
    Max. psi: 35lbs.

Hope it helps!
  • Thanks for the information on the Michelin tires. I know about the $100 safety kit offer but I only have about 2200 miles and buying the GV itself was enough for this year (I hope). I will be interested to read how these tires handle in heavy rain and/or snow of any kind.

Thanks again.
  • kellybkellyb Posts: 23
    Gone2sea, you'll find they're remarkably good in the snow, though after the OEM's are about half gone, they'll start to hydroplane at ridiculously low speed.

I've got 19K on my GV, and the original tires are about half worn. Have had snow only once, this year, and they still did okay. Slush and moderate rain, however, make for some scary moments, even at speeds as low as 40 mph. The truck is really too small and light for tires this wide, plus, the tread pattern is much too tight. It needs some big circumferential grooves...or an all-terrain pattern.

Kelly B
    '99 JLX+, 5 speed, 19k miles
  • Would you consider/recommend P225/60R16 as an alternative to the P235 OEM size?
  • Thanks for the tire information. Good luck with dropping the 30 or 31 inch tires in. Sounds neat idea but my better half would probably have other comments if I ever did that.