Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Engine Questions

Comments

• I found in you tube someone with the same problem. You need speakers to hear it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjGdBmgVDuE
    we are not alone with the problem
  • I have had the lifter noise occurring once in a while when the car is first started that day. THe service department said they performed a procedure specified by the factory, but the noise still comes back just as often. 2007 525i w/6-speed manual. It's a lease car, and the warrenty is longer than the lease, so we will see what happens.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A 2007 525i 6-Speed? What country do you live in?
  • I also have this same problem on my 2007 530XI purchased in June 2006 in NH (15k miles) and noticed it issue a few month of ownership. After going back to my dealer mulptile times and after bleeding the lifters, they simply say that is "normal" and usually occured when the car is driven short distances on a farily regular basis.

While this is my work week driving routine (going 2+ miles to the train station and back), it doesn't sound reasonable for a BMW engine to have this "normal" sound. I do noticed that when it is driven longer distances on a normal basis, the noise is no longer there during start up or any other point. It does come back during the week with my short trips to the train station.

Anyone else hear of this explanation and think it has merit? More importantly, is this normal or is it going to have a negative affect on engine/car life?

As my dealer can't fix it, I would like to be able to tell them of a fix if anyone has one.
  • Just a quick update on my 2007 530XI lifter noise issue. After going back too many times to mention, my dealer finally called BMW and asked for further direction after performing all the "standard" maintenance items o resolve the issue.

As BMW has been hearing about this issue quite a lot, they have redesigned the value heads that can be replaced if none of the other fixes work. This is a very expensive solution ($9K+), but after many failed tries, I finally got it and seems to be working just fine (repaired 10 days ago). Thankfully, I didn't have to pay for this as it was under warrantee.
  • loulou2loulou2 Posts: 1
    Here we are in the same boat! They have already replaced the lifters on our car, we are not going in circles with BMW north America and the dealer. Neither wanting to help and deny any problems ect. We recently asked for copies of all service records from BMW and the dealer and the dealer told us they won't give to us we would have to get a supena to get this. What a crock! Can you get us in touch with your friend what did he do to get his problem resolved? Please let me know!
  • ajfinoajfino Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the engine oil capacity for the 535XI? For some reason BMW failed to provide this information in the owners manual.
    While I don't know for a fact, I'd bet big money that it's at least seven quarts.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,040
    Close enough! It's 6.5 liters.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have a 2007 530xi 6 speed manual purchased 10/2007 - 30,000 miles. Second time in for the ticking noise - sounds like a sewing machine. They bled the lifters last time and got rid of the noise for a few months. Now, they are changing the cylinder head after approval from BMW. Sounds like a design issue. I was going to buy the car, but am having second thoughts. Maybe I will turn it in after the lease. Otherwise I think it's one of the most fun cars I've ever had. Including my 2003 A6 2.7T
    If you can live with an A6 2.7 turbo you can live with this car, seems to me. Your Audi 2.7 does not have a great reputation and yet it worked out for you, so that tells you something about the "odds" of being one of the unlucky ones.

There has been (as you know) problems with valve noise on these engines and there are directives for fixing it...supposedly....but it sounds like you had some issues that were a bit more serious than valve lifters sucking in air.

I'd say if the noise does not re-appear then you might consider keeping it.

• I have a 2000 bmw 528i and it started makeing some noise and shaking alittle, then water started coming out. What do u think this problem is and is it expensive to fix?
    Water coming out of WHERE? :surprise:

What did the temperature gauge say at this time?

• Im not sure where the water was coming out from...im guessing from the radiator. But the temp gage was normal... it wasnt over heating or anything.
    Well you know, IF the coolant is low enough, the temp gauge won't read...it can't read "steam" in other words..it needs to be submerged in a liquid.

If you are gushing steaming hot water out, you should not be driving this car ONE FURTHER INCH.

• It was driving good and i drove it for like 5-10 min and all of a sudden it started makeing that noise and it wanted to turn off... as of now it is parked. I just wanted to know if its expensive to fix the prob. :confuse:
    Hard to say with so little info. Might be just a simple thing like a stuck thermostat or some such, or you could have the typical BMW issue of a cracked radiator.

• Good enought answer... thanx. :)
  • jklossjkloss Posts: 39
    Can you supply me with the information you gave you BMW dealer regarding this problem - would be helpful to know what tech service bulletin was on you receipt or what they used to get BMW to do the installation of the redesigned valve heads..

We have the same problem and at first the dealer said this is normal and all BMW's have this problem. Second time the preformed the recommended BMW fix and that lasted about two days. Any detailed information would be appreciated.

If you want i can give you my e-mail address.
  • galamagalama Posts: 12
    I just got 2002 530i manual.
    Should i go with the Cold air intake or just K&N filter and keep it stock?
    What is better and what would give me better sound and power, longer life what is better for engine?
    tx Joe
    Keep it stock.
    I agree----Keep it stock and don't waste your money on a K&N filter. It's not easy to outsmart BMW engineers when it comes to very efficient intake design.

• smartcpasmartcpa Posts: 7
    The only notation I see on my invoice is that they "sent PUMA Case in for Cyl. Head." The repair notation said PUMA 22345808, My complaint was that the engine made a loud tapping noise when idling. They tried their quick fix of bleeding the lifters, that worked for about 2 months, then the noise came back. Hope this helps. The engine runs quiet and smooth now.
  • mobiusf1mobiusf1 Posts: 15
    Honestly, go to a different dealer if you can. I've been to terrible dealers and amazing dealers. I'm sure there is a dealer that will be able to help you out.
    But don't you think I would get little extra power from K&N and better gas milege.
    I do think that cold air intake would be stupit.
    Contrary to the marketing bilge that K&N would love for you to believe, it is a physical impossibility for your car to get better fuel economy with a K&N filter (or no filter at all for that matter). Why? Because your car (and pretty much ALL cars these days) measure the weight of the air entering the intake and then meters exactly the precise amount of fuel for that air. If, for the sake of argument, the K&N did allow more air in, the system would simply add more fuel and you'd have exactly the same fuel economy as if you had the stock paper filter in place (which provides much better filtration than a K&N), or no filter at all.

As for more power, highly-HIGHLY unlikely. The BMW engineers aren't fools; they know how to build an intake system that efficiently feeds air to the engine, regardless of the environment or how firmly planted the drivers' foot is to the floor.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Nope you don't get more HP or better gas mileage from a K&N filter all by itself, or if the dyno or your fuel gauge suggested that there is an improvement, it is so small as to be statistically irrelevant (in other words, it's within normal variations).

I've tested these things many times and the best I can say is there is no gas mileage improvement that can be attributed to them, and as for "power", there might be better throttle response but no better 0-60 times, or again, so slight as to not justify the costs.

If you found a very restrictive air intake system (not a BMW) and a very large engine, you might register 3-4 more HP on a dyno.

My friends Porsche/Audi shop tested these on a dyno and got ZIP; however, in conjunction with well-engineered aftermarket exhaust systems, and changes to fuel-mapping, yeah, the K&N helped out.

wow i see now you are right, i did think that K&N provides better filtration but openings are bigger so how would that be possible. So is there anything that would be better besides stock as far as better milege and more power when it comes to air intake? well im ok with milege more power would not hurt. How about chip? does it hurt engine?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,573
    Like Shipo said, BMW doesn't leave much on the table with regards to hidden horsepower- at least with respect to their naturally aspirated cars. You'd be very lucky to pick up 5-6 bhp from a CAI and a re-flash.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Yeah there are chips available that seem to work---but you have to really do your homework and get on the specialty BMW sites and see what chips DO WORK and which are all smoke and mirrors.

Also I like detailed info on the chip, so I know what they are manipulating in order to get the HP gains. Some chips do fuel enrichment, some boost timing, some just extend your automatic transmission shift points (don't need to spend $400 for THAT!).