Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Versa Engine Problems

1234568»

Comments

• Ok... at about 30,000 miles... the Nissan Dealership told me my engine block is gone... I had to get a new engine.. ... now I have rattling on top of radio in dash board... help...
  • @suzyq9241

After getting a new engine and there's suddenly rattling on top of your radio dashboard then you should bring it back to the dealership and tell them.

They could have left something loose while in the process of replacing the old engine with the new.
  • fitobassfitobass Posts: 2
    Did you find out what was the problem?
    The same happened to me yesterday for the first time. The technician tested and No codes have been found on the ECM.
    Please let me know what you find. :confuse:
  • fitobassfitobass Posts: 2
    Did you find what caused this problem?
  • wizard340wizard340 Posts: 1
    We have owned a 2009 versa for a year now and it has started doing the same thing, it doesn't seem to be weather dependent or predictable. it just does it when it wants, I'm thinking about replacing the battery and checking the connections at the starter, also the ground strap to the chassis.
  • tabfestabfes Posts: 2
    We have had our Versa now for a year. Since we have had it while driving it goes into Neutral at any given time. It has happened twice on a freeway and once just this morning while going to work. This time it shut itself off and won't start back up. We have had it to the dealer and they have reset the computer system.

Has anyone else had these issues? The maintenance people are basically looking at us like we are women and don't know what we are talking about or we have hit it into neutral!! I'm about to go off on the maintenance department at the dealer.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    Auto or stick? If auto, it could be a linkage issue. Wiggle it or put back into Park in order to restart as there is a safety starting lockout connection in positions of the tranny other than Park or Neutral that may be out of adjustment. Do not lay a purse or any other type thing (electronics) wedged between the gearshift and the lower centre console or elbow rest. Watch for big coat sleeves hanging and grabbing it as you move about in the car?
  • mawiedrmawiedr Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    We are now in 2013, and I have the SAME problem with my Versa 2008 for about 6 months or so.
    We got to the Nissan garage 4 times and never get rid of it -_-. Im actually thinking of complaining to the company itself.

It start exactly like this: when I got to a red light, I apply the brake and I hear a noise, seems like a vibration of some sort.
    These days, I heard it almost anytimes I'm driving.
    The garage told me it was not from the motor or anything in the hood. It seems like they need to remove my dash, it could be under/somewhere in it.
    It does a sound like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR1W4VlOsF0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNq1n4NRRM

I find a lot of people on internet having the same problem, but the garage never heard of it !!!
  • tabfestabfes Posts: 2
    It's an automatic and we put nothing near the gearshift. The reason for the car to just stop running this time was the fuel pump went out but they didn't say anything about the transmission error the computer read when they got it into the shop.
  • Trade that nissan in for another similar vehicle.
    If your warranty is expired, more so as I am not sure anything will be done about it by Nissan. I don't drive Nissan anymore.
  • Bought this brand new last spring, with AC on and blower on high, engine would shut off 1 block from house driving at Idle speeds. OK, It happened 3 times but I could not duplicate it so taking it to dealer would waste my time.It seemed after it die, I stop and restart and it would not happen agian. Today, I got off expressway, and made a right turn and car died , same senario, I had to stop and restart and it runs fine. It now has 23,000 miles but it did it with only 400 miles on it at 1st. I called dealer and they say they never heard of this, I know it will waste my time to take it to them, anyone elase here have this problem and what was the fix? Thank you for reading...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    My gut says the AC on and blower high probably had nothing to do with it. It sort of sounds like a fuel supply issue, but if it was, you'd think the problem would repeat more often than every 20,000+ miles.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Being a caterpillar tech, I looked for anything in common. The car has never died with blower on 3rd highest setting, ran rest of last summer and all this summer until today, when I had it set on max blower. I wondered if it might be a voltage problem that comming down to idle with everything on was enough to confuse computers...
    I always try to start at the simple and work my way up to complicated and more expensive :)

I currently have two Versas and we're on our third (4th if you count the one that got totaled getting rear-ended by an F-150 that didn't stop) and the only engine issue I've run across in 200,000+ miles was with the 2007 when I flooded the engine by reaching back into the past and pumping the gas once while starting up. The techs told me the engine was prone to flooding in just that way, so maybe that's another reason I gravitated towards a fuel issue.

Do you get any engine hiccups if you turn the blower up while the engine is running?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• No,it is like you shut key off. It runs perfect other then that. Going over a year without problem until I decided to put blower on high for 1st time as it was pretty hot outside and this happenes when I get to idle and it coast going around corner slowley. I know taking it to dealer is a lost cause as I cannot make it do it agian last night when I left work, I guess I will just leave blower on 3rd setting like I have been doing. It appears others have more serious problems then mine and If that puts the bandaid on mine I can live with it. If it happens any time in future I will post here and try dealer...
    It's that "going around a corner" part that has me thinking fuel. Going around a corner wouldn't affect an electrical issue, or if it did I would think it would have to be REALLY odd. Can you associate it with a certain level of fuel in the tank??

• Well, 2 blocks from house its straight, tank is always close to full, I never get it lower than 1/4. Like I said, it is going to be hard to figure out, and without codes popping up and not being able to duplicate it at will I doubt I will figure it out, I hoped someone here might have had same problem, maybee mine is rare... :(
    Well the fuel pump is electrical, so I suppose it's possible some voltage problem is the culprit. It's would be odd if the high blower setting was causing the fuel pu8mp to go on the blink. Electrical gremlins are funny things. I had a vehicle once where a cracked fuse would cause the dome light to come on dimly when I stepped on the brake pedal!

• I own a 2011 Nissan Versa sedan. I was driving on the highway 1st time using A/C in heavy stop and go traffic then the car lost all power would only idle no power had to pull over. Did this all the way home every 10 miles or so. Brought to the dealer they found tranny code putting car into safe mode ( 2nd gear out of ratio ). I didn't use A/C for rest of that year. I used A/C on trip from MA. to Deleware and in stop and go traffic same thing occurred all the way from New York to Deleware. Performed battery reset in Deleware problem solved. I cant use the A/C in stop and go traffic. the dealer wants 500 to investigate this the car is not under warranty. It only happens with A/C on in stop and go traffic. Looking for any advice from anyone
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Get a 2nd opinion from either a different dealer or an independent shop that some co-workers or neighbours recommend.

$500. just to check it is simply crooked and pure robbery. You knew that in your heart anyway..
  • Yeah mine just started doing the same thing

Is $500 the estimate to track the problem down and fix it? Since AC use is causing a tranny code, it sounds like and electrical/computer issue. It doesn't take a long diagnosis to get start to add up costs at the labor rates charged at most places. Add in any parts, modules, or the like that need to be replaced and I could see $500 being a possibility.

If they want $500 just to look with any repair being added on to that, that's crazy talk. That's like 8 hours of mechanic time.

• cab seem to figure out whats up with my nissan versa i changed the alternator and checked battery stii
    ll won't hold a charge
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    edited October 16
    Have you checked for a parasitic drain or are you saying that the charge light stays on all the time? What year are we talking about?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• 2010 nissan versa battery light stays on. won't hold a charge.

2010 nissan versa battery light stays on. won't hold a charge.

The battery light on indicates a charging problem. Could be a broken/slipping belt to the alternator or the alternator has failed.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,279
    How about the ground cable and the engine to frame cable? Secure, tight and clean?

Wiring and connectors in the alternator harness in good shape? No chaffing, loose wires? Nothing perhaps over-torqued when connecting to alternator?

Where did you get this new alternator? If it's from a chain store, there's a 1 in 10 chance it's no good.

Also, how was the battery tested? It should be tested as a "load-test".

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Good points Shifty. Could be as simple as wiring problems as well.

You da man B)

1234568»