Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• eagleeye3eagleeye3 Posts: 44
    Well, add another potential victim to the transmission problem list. Our 2003 Pilot only has 87,000 miles and we have a shuddering transmission and check engine light. Our mechanic says we have error code P1750. We have changed the transmission oil as scheduled. Going to bring vehicle into Honda tomorrow for their diagnosis. I went to the Honda site and entered my VIN on the Owner's Link site for recall info (2HKYF18533H520501 - took delivery Aug 2002). The 2003-2004 Pilot Automatic Transmission 2nd Gear issue comes up (status = fixed). Is there a separate recall notice that says they will replace your transmission? Is there a different Honda website to check? This SUV has been babied, driven by my wife around town, averaging 9,000 miles a year. Never attached a trailer, never took to the mountains, and never had an accident. Never had much of a problem till now. Car is in very good to almost mint condition. It's going to be comical if Honda says I need a new transmission - especially if one just looks at the external condition of the vehicle. Not sure how they will be able to deliver the message with a straight face.
  • campkapalacampkapala Posts: 21
    You might want to call Honda directly and check on the VIN. I don't think that is the message I got when I entered my VIN in on the site and my car is outside of the recall even though it is a 2004. Maybe you are a lucky one that fits in with the group that can get fixed. If you are not in the recall, follow this thread. One of the messages has a link to a site where you can file a complaint. If enough of us complain, maybe Honda will do something. We were also trying to get a Facebook page going. The Acura people did that and got Honda to issue a bulletin which if I understand it correctly, allowed them to get their transmissions fixed even though it wasn't a recall. I need to check into it further. I emailed the person in charge of the page and he said they were trying to put together a class suit. The lawyers wanted money up front and thats where they stopped.
  • jtsibesjtsibes Posts: 19
    Hi,
    Please make sure you file a complaint with on the NHTSA.gov. There a a lot of us out there with the same problem. Also check out the Facebook group and log it there too...if there are enough of us, hopefully some action will someday happen. Good Luck...thanks
    Janelle
    Which Facebook page did you join?
  • spamman66spamman66 Posts: 6
    I've heard so many issues with the trans, torque converters, pressure switches etc. on the Pilots. I have 2003 Pilot 224K, rebuilt trans at 120K (started to fail with high rev, high jerking on highway). I , NOW, have a rough jerk at 30-40 mph. I have the flashing D, but that started at 150K or so and no other symtoms on the trans. AAMCO thought it was a bad electrical connection due to no error codes, no symptoms. Now, I'm getting VTM-4 light on intermittantly. The flashing D is annoying, but again, no other symptoms.

My 2004 Odyssey is another story, but just bad quality from Honda. New trans on that at 112K. I had the bad peeling paint (blue) and horrible service from Honda America and locally. Diffinetly my last Honda.
  • mngritsmngrits Posts: 1
    Have a problem: Last week both technician and owner of shop told me I needed to flush my 05 Honda pilot transmission. Talked with owner about flushing the transmission and he said he had a special machine for this-and that it was safe for my car. On Friday the 1st of June took car in at 9am by 1:30 car still was not done-At 3 I was told that they had done a simple drain and fill-that Honda does not recommend flushing?-Ok I asked if they followed the owner's manual with the drain, refill then drive, drain refill then drive then the drain refill-they had not so i had them do it-now 4 days later my D is flashing which means something is wrong with the transmission-could they have tried to flush the transmission? Do I have any recourse?
  • This is very interesting... May I ask you if you were experiencing the "shudder issue" at very low RPMs like 1500 RPMs? The reason I ask is because the shudder only happens for me when I'm at 1500 (or very close to that RPM) and only when I am in normal drive. In D3 the shudder noise does not happen.

I have a 2004 Pilot and recently replaced my transmission (with a used one) because of a shudder issue. Unfortunately the shudder issue is still there. Could I have purchased a bad transmission or is the issue the torque converter?
  • jtsibesjtsibes Posts: 19
    It happened for me at 35-40 MPH. I never had the flashing "d" light. If you replaced the tranny with the same Honda tranny that has the known problem, it would or could happen again. Sorry.
  • manusrfmanusrf Posts: 6
    I bought my used 2004 Honda Pilot with 59000 miles on it about 3 months ago. I thought it worked great when I bought it. A few weeks after I purchased the car it started to idle roughly and even died a couple of times. In addition it would shudder and not responds to gas at lower speeds. It would also down shift in jolting way intermittently.
    Anyway I have brought it to the dealer and 2 other mechanics and they have replaced the idle control valve twice, MAP sensor, air flow meter, cleaned the egr valve, valve adjustment, new spark plugs, transmission fluid change, new battery, new coolant and thermostat. The car has this problem intermittently.
    Finally a local honda mechanic figured it out today. He says that the torque converter is bad and that it would be 1700 to fix it. I'm wondering if this will actually fix the problem. Is it better to get the whole tranny replaced or is the torque converter by itself fine.
    This car does have a recall on the transmission and a oil heat shield was put in at 2200 miles. Does anyone one know if the torque converter is related to the recall problem.
    Thank You!
    I am not a mechanic but have read many posts on the problem and yes, I thought the converter was a huge part of the problem. If I remember correctly, you can check out the statement Acura made in regards to their tranny's and see that the converter was also included in the fix. Someone posted a pic. of the information on this site. If I can find it, I will repost it here for you to read.

Are you saying that you are under the recall for Honda's transmission? And, the tranny was replaced at 2200 miles or just the heat shield was replaced?

If so, could you help the rest of us that are not in the recall to understand just what they will do for you? Maybe post some of the recall paperwork. It would be helpful to see the language and just how they address the situation. Many of us have the exact same problem, but are outside the VIN numbers for the recall. Thanks.

As for your problem being intermittent, that seems to be most folks beginning problem which escalates from there - sometimes quite quickly.
    At 2200 miles the heat shield was installed. The problem is getting the dealer to admit that the torque converter is bad. When I brought the car to the dealer in the past they wanted to do a valve adjustment and did not think it was the torque converter.
    It took 3 honda mechanics to diagnose it as the torque converter. I'm still stuck with the car and continue to drive it. I'm still not sure if I should go ahead and replace the torque converter or if the whole tranny needs to be replaced. Also considering trading it in.
    So far, my problem is not regular. That makes it hard for me to show my mechanic what I am talking about and gives room for the Honda mechanics to make other excuses. From reading the posts, I know exactly what is wrong and the end result. I am just not certain how long I have until it quits shifting altogether. I still have not found that Acura statement but I believe they replaced the convertor and transmission if the car was over a certain mileage. My mechanic puts Shudder Fix in on a regular basis but that is just really only a "bandaid" in my opinion. When they drive my car, it does not have the shutter. I think it is because it has more of a problem on a slow acceleration shift. If you "punch it", it doesn't seem to shutter. When does your car have the problem?
  • realtourrealtour Posts: 1
    I was wondering what the outcome was for this situation. I was just told today I need some work done that should have been caught when I complained about it over 20K miles ago! Grrr!
    :mad:
    It seems to mostly happen between 1000-2000 RPM. But the engine tends to rev up and down at idle too. I have it at another dealer right now but they are saying it's not the torque converter. Funny thing is that they don't know what it is. They think it may be the computer. I still think it's the torque converter.
  • spamman66spamman66 Posts: 6
    I had my trans replaced over 2 years ago. Since then, I've had the Flashing D. It comes and goes, never consistent. a few months after the replacement (AAMCO), I drove it in with the Flashing D. No erro codes and no issues with the Pilot, just an annoting Flashing D. I'd been close to 2 years and the trans seems fine except for a slight "jerk" at 35-40. From what I read, do you think changing the 3 and 4th presuure switch would fix the Flashing D? It seems like it from most of the messages (other than new/rebuild trans). Any thoughts?
  • Sounds like i'm late to the party. My wife bought a 2003 Pilot about 2 months ago used. The car seemed to be in great shape with only 97K. I thought she did ok. about 2 weeks after she got it I noticed a funny/slow 2-3 shift. It seemed to be ok sometimes but has gotten worse in the last few weeks. I'm extremely angry sense we just started paying for this car and are on a very tight budget with a baby on the way. She got the car with the thought of it being a Honda we'd had many years of trouble free use. I can not afford to replace the transmission. I'm taking it in Thursday to have the trans serviced/flushed to see if that will correct it but from what I just read things aren't looking promising.
  • Yeah, does not sound good. Your approach is worth a try, but from the comments I have read, it always seems to lead to a transmission rebuild. You might be better off hiring someone to torch it or steal it and collecting the insurance proceeds. Sounds harsh, but thats how desperate the situation usually turns out to be...
  • hujghujg Posts: 1
    I have 2010 pilot and purchased 3 weeks ago from dealer as a certified car. Yesterday I had some viberation issues so I dropped the car to the dealer. After the fix I noticed some small sound from gear everytime when i stoped my car. I asked the dealer and they told me it was normal. But I don't think I heard that sound before. I even tried to drive another pilot with the dealer. Still no sound. I am not sure if anyone had the same issue. I really think there is something wrong in transmision but the dealer insisted that nothing wrong in it. Thanks.
  • monalmonal Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2009 Pilot in July 2008. I have started experiencing the same shuddering problem between 35-40 miles per hour. I have the eco-drive feature that shuts 3 of the 6 cylinders down to conserve mpg. I have also noticed that the engine has a louder winding sound when it is at a constant speed. The maintenance on the vehicle has always been kept up to date at the dealership. It is currently at 57k. The problem probably started around 50k. I have not taken it in yet, but plan on making an appointment and backing up the complaint with the information provided here. Luckily, I purchased an expensive extended warranty with the vehicle. I will post my results with the dealership when I take it in.
  • My transmission failed three weeks ago at 127k. The transmission basically broke apart. As we removed the old transmission, I noted one of the oil lines in the drivers side near the ABS was completely bent closed. This line was a feed line for trans oil on the side and rear of the transmission. It appears it came from the factory like that, and was probably the cause of about $2500 in repair costs. I spoke to the Honda rep, no compensation, he was not really interested in having a photo of the error made by Honda. Instead of a simple 90 degree elbow or a formed hose being installed, my transmission failed. The replacement was a big job, about 25 hours. If you are doing the replacement email me I will give you lots of good tips. NR
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,212
    Please don't offer "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Yes the early 2004 transmissions have a different oil supply system than the early models. I think the oil supply line being pinched off (from factory) was the cause of my trans failure. nickr
  • My honda has about 78,000 miles and above 70 MPH a humming noise with a steady slight vibration i can feel on the peddles, steering wheel and windshield. It almost sounds like a wind noise but I'm sure its in the Powertrain. I need to take it in to shop but I'm looking for data to backup my conclusion.
  • My 2011 Pilot with 34,000 miles was working fine. Service wrench showed up with code of A13 and 15% oil life. Took it to dealer for oil change and was told that the service code 3 meant "recommended drain and refill transmission fluid." Told them to go ahead and complete that service. Now, one day after the service was completed, the transmission is very rough when it shifts gears and the "D" is flashing! Rpms race between gear shifts. What could they have done wrong. I had no problems before this service was performed. Of course today is Sunday and the service department is not open. Any ideas? What should I have them do to fix this? Have they caused a terrible problem or was this problem already brewing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I suggest checking axles (front) and feel tires for a break split. I would start at a tire shop, not a Honda dealer unless you really trust the person. Could be tires with mud caught in the rims, make sure rims are perfectly clean use a pry bar to remove any sand or mud.
  • check . tires for out of round breaking apart between tread, and also check axles, bent rims or rims with small bits of mud caught in them can create shutter. Most garages will select the most expensive detailed option when problem solving
  • check color of your tranny oil it will tell you a great deal. I would call Honda to see if they will stand behind their product. Sounds like they like money take it to another dealer.
  • I have an 04 pilot, trans went about two weeks ago. It literally broke apart, there was a brake in the drivers side with oil all over the on the underside of the fender lining. in the course of removing the trans I noticed that my oil hose on the drivers side on the cab side of the tranny had been bent at 90 degrees not allowing any oil thru it. What is the purpose of this hose that feeds two areas of the transmission from the center moving to the side and rear. My replacement trans does not have the same system it has one mostly metal hose and distribution system that feeds only the rear part of the tranny. Honda takes no responsibility for this stupid error. Trans worked perfectly until blow up.
  • Hi,

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot with only 9,000 miles on it. In the last few months I've noticed that while sitting at stop lights (i.e., in gear but brake applied) it will lurch forward. Even with brake applied you can feel a noticable 'tug' forward. I thought this was just part of the engine revving to compensate for A/C on a hot day, but it also happens when the A/C is off. Anyone else experiencing this?