Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Transmission Problems

Comments

• bjnashvillebjnashville Member Posts: 1
    after reading about this same problem i guess i'm in for some expense on my 2004 honda pilot. yesterday my d started flashing. had mechanic check it out. put new transmission fluid in. the light has not flashed again and i have not noticed any other problem. is there anything proactive that i can do to save my transmission before it totally goes out on me?
  • spamman66spamman66 Member Posts: 6
    It seems that I can stop and turn off my Pilot (2003 with a rebuilt trans at 172K, and now at 210K) and restart it and the Flashing D stops. Sometime it stops for days/weeks, sometimes for a few miles. I wonder if it is just an electrical failure for a short instance and it trips the diagnostics. It runs fine with and without the Flashing D. It's been happening for me for 6 months. It's annoying, but the car seems to run fine. AAMCO and my local repairman cannot find error codes and they think it is a corroded connection somewhere. I'm paying them to find it, though either.
  • guppgupp321guppgupp321 Member Posts: 3
    It sounds as if you are tricking the engine...I have heard of this before...not sure what the remedy would be...search the internet. Diane
  • enzochiapetenzochiapet Member Posts: 1
    I'm the latest victim of a failed '03 Honda Pilot Transmission failure. I've known for years now this day was probably coming and this past Thursday I effectively lost 3rd and 4th gear as the trans simply slammed in/out, revved, etc. which forced me to limp to a transmission shop in 2nd gear.

Though I've NEVER serviced this transmission (other than having the factory recall to install the oil cooler kit several years ago), I believe in modern vehicles that failing at even 156K miles is unacceptable.

Anyway, as expected, $3800 - $4300 (estimate provided this morning) for the repair. I just spent $1250 a month ago repair the AC (Compressor failure). Aside from these two very expensive failures, this Pilot has been a rock.

I'm concerned about the trans failing again in the future, as the warranty I get with this rebuilt is 1-year or 12K miles.
  • jtsibesjtsibes Member Posts: 19
    I went with a Jasper remanufactured tranny for roughky 1k more...and a 3yr warranty! away from Honda altogether and I can say that since then I have driven 2k miles- included was 1 long trip I have had no problems at all. It's been perfect. Still need to file my paperwork with Honda & Atty General to see if I can get reimbursed at all. They should recall the darn Pilots for that reason since so many people have had that probelm.
  • stevet51stevet51 Member Posts: 1
    I've had similar vibration/noise issues around 40 mph with very light pressure on accelerator with slight rise in the road. I'm wondering if we should be looking at a motor mount or transmission mount. Here's the theory:
    While in top gear, transmission pressure probably builds as load on engine increases until it downshifts. I've noted accelerating forces a downshift, or I can manually shift to D3. Either action gets rid of the problem. So, perhaps it's tied to light engine load with high vacuum transitioning gradually to lower vacuum and creating a vibration that is amplified by a cracked or broken motor mount (essentially a temporary harmonic??). I've heard Honda's motor mounts are pretty weak. I think there are three for the engine and two for the transmission on a 2003/04 model.

I'm new to this site and haven't tried to find engine mount complaints.
  • blackdragon1blackdragon1 Member Posts: 7
    Well, the cracked engine mounts combined with the double replacement of my transmission fluid (I was overdue at the time) has at least fixed my problem temporarily. I have now put 8k-10k additional miles in all types of driving and though I still think I feel a little shudder, it is nowhere close to the loud vibration that I was getting earlier. I had 2/3 engine mounts cracked at one time. If I wasn't looking for the vibration I certainly would not notice it, that's how different it is now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with all the other tranny complaints here, but you have to believe that we with issues are a very low % of all the Pilots Honda cranks out. It has had 0 other issues in 7 years...
    I haven't heard anything about the mounts...the vibration/shudder @40mph I was told is a defective torque converter. I ran mine for quite a while with that problem by changing out the tranny fluid a few times. As I noted before, replaced the whole thing at 106k with Jasper remanufactured and I've had no problems since. I did file a complaint with NHTSA-everyone else with issues should too & maybe Honda will step up!
  • fish8mefish8me Member Posts: 1
    I just read your post. Very similar to our Pilot w/ 84k. miles... I have been thinking about changing the tranny oil since it's never been done, but I think there's a bigger problem bruin. What is the cost of that defective torque converter replacement?
    I guess in order to get to the torque converter, you need to take out the transmission? My whole tranny went but it stemmed from the torque converter I believe. It was 4k.
  • saraedithsaraedith Member Posts: 2
    Us as well: We have a 2004 Pilot with the same transmission slipping problem (with about 110k miles). It started about 3 or 4 months ago. Right now, we have to figure out how to fix it . . .

Any advice as to whether we should to to an independent garage to rebuild the transmission with 1 year warranty (at $2,400) -- or, go to the dealership and have it completely replaced (at over $4,000)? And with a 3 year warranty.
  • saraedithsaraedith Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2004 Pilot with the same transmission slipping problem (with about 110k miles) -- that seems to be starting to occur with others as well. It started about 3 or 4 months ago. Right now, however, we have to figure out how to fix it . . .

Any advice as to whether we should to to an independent garage to rebuild the transmission with 1 year warranty (at $2,400) -- or, go to the dealership and have it completely replaced (at over $4,000)? -- With a 3 year warranty.
  • diygentdiygent Member Posts: 1
    I had this very same vibration problem with my 2003 Pilot and spent a lot of money trying to chase it down including the Honda dealer and three shops. I found the trouble by accident. Strange as it may sound, change the transmission fluid to Honda's very expensive $10.00 per qt. magic oil. My problem left about 80% of the time. I drove it 1000 miles and spent another $40. for 4 more qts. and changed the oil again. Presto, problem gone. I think if you let this go too long an oil change might not do the trick.
    The 60k miles is too far, and pulling a boat will make the interval shorter for sure.
  • mrmagoo3mrmagoo3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Pilot with 62k miles on it. We take excellent care of the vehicle, oil changes, every mile check up (15, 30, 60 etc), new tires, brakes, battery etc.

We noticed that when driving it, it would slow down and revv and then buck like kicking into gear. It got really bad really fast. Come to find out the trasmission oil was leaking into the radiator. We had to get a new radiator and had to have it flushed out several times. Came very close to needing a new transmission for $3500. I find this completely unacceptable for a car that only has 62k on it.

I just wanted to share our frustration.....
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but, as you've probably read, those are the exact indications of failure. Unfortunately, not many have escaped a new tranny after the fact. I would do everything in your power to get a gaurantee from the service manager that this is all the maintenance you required to keep running 4.0. Use this forum and the myriad other strings on the web to support your inquiry.

Save all your receipts and log it in your manual. I am confident this will be a class action someday. I am going to forward this and the other Honda/Acura V6 tranny failure threads to Consumer Reports - again. They still rate the early pilot very well and if you trust them, like I always have, its important they realize the problem.

Good Luck. When the dealer replaces your pressure sensors next, have the tow truck # handy...
    That is exactly how my problems started...replaced the radiator at around those same miles and then did a complete tranny @106k. I think flushing helped prolong the envitable.
  • pilotowner69pilotowner69 Member Posts: 3
    Wow, if only I had read this forum a few weeks ago...

I am an owner of a 2003 Honda Pilot and my transmission needs replacing at 139,000 miles. Actually, I'm not sure if that is accurate, if I recall correctly there was a recall on this vehicle due to a defect that affected the speedometer and mileage readout. Regardless, the car has been serviced at the dealership according to the Honda maintenance schedule since day 1. Actually, this is my third Honda, purchased new from the same dealership, all 4 have had all scheduled maintenance at this dealership. This vehicle was a part of the recall, and some other class action related to the invalid mileage which ended up extending my warranty. Nonetheless it is now out of warranty.

Only problem with the vehicle has been a motor mount and rear main seal needing to be replaced last November. No noticeable shifting problems. Wife was driving when the vehicle "stalled", check engine light. Had it towed into the dealership expecting something along the lines of a sensor or valve needing replacing. Got the call that the transmission fluid was dark and my transmission needed to be replaced. Say what!

Was quoted $2890 for a rebuilt transmission with a warranty of 12 months, or $4000 for a new transmission with a 3 year warranty. I couldn't freaking believe I was getting a caller telling me a HONDA transmission needed replacing at 139,000 miles. I googled, found this forum, called the service manager the next day and asked about a goodwill repair.

I got a call back, the district and dealership offered to pay 15% each for a new transmission with a 3 year warranty for $2896. $6 more than the original minimum hit I would be taking. I felt defeated at this point and told them to go ahead and install the new transmission at 30% off.

I called the number posted here for American Honda to ask for more help. They took my contact information and told me they would be calling me back. They called me back today and basically told me they owed me nothing, the transmission was beyond its warranty, it was a mechanical failure, yadda yadda yadda. I told them I would no longer be a customer of Honda Motor Corporation. She then proceeded to tell me that the offer of a 30% discount could be rescinded by the dealership and regional director. They expected me to be happy paying almost $3K for a transmission that was recalled, incorrectly fixed, and probably known to be defective.

Once she started basically threatening me I got so pissed I probably said quite a few things I shouldn't have, involving lawyers, verbal contracts, the BBB, the state Attorney General, and so on.

There have been Honda's in my family since the late 70's, none, not a single one before this Pilot, had a powertrain failure in 200,000+ miles of use. Honda has obviously lost their way, a shame, really.

So now the American Honda rep is calling the district manager and dealership, possibly getting them to rescind the offer of a 30% discount after I already told them to go ahead with the work, and then the rep is supposed to call me back.

My advice, DON'T BUY A HONDA. If they are willing to treat a life-long loyal customer like me this way, what will happen the next time they drop a ball on YOU? If you own a Pilot that is anywhere near the end of its warranty period, GET RID OF IT, immediately.

I'm still holding out hope Honda will take me up on my offer of keeping a life-long customer by making this right. Will post here when I find out what happens next...
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I am curious. What action did you expect Honda to take? Your Pilot is 8 years old. It has way more miles than the original powertrain warranty covered. Did you expect Honda to guarantee it for life? Warranties are for a specific time frame and mileage. If you had been just over your limit, I could understand your concern, but not in your case.
  • rbettrbett Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I have 82,000 miles on my 2005 Pilot. Started getting the A/T light. I decided to pull off the highway and waited for the transmission to cool down. Decided to get it towed since the car would not shifting to D and when it did, the engine would rev without moving forward. Had the car towed to the dealer, and got a call from the dealer that the antifreeze had leaked into the transmission via the radiator and I need a new radiator and a transmission. I have found similar complaints online. Any suggestions on my options to fix this for less than 5K quoted by the dealer?
    I didn't expect anything. I wanted them to show the customer service and quality I have previously experienced from Honda. In my opinion the transmission is defective. The recall did just enough to get it beyond their warranty coverage and then left me hanging. They could have at least warned me the transmission wouldn't last as long as normal Honda transmissions do so I wouldn't have been left holding the bag. I didn't buy my 3rd honda from them for a warranty, I bought it expecting not to have to replace entire power train components for at least 150-160000 miles, as every other Honda I have ever owned has done, and every Honda members of my family have owned since the late 70's. I would have bought a Toyota or Kia with a 100000 mile warranty if it was the warranty that mattered so much.

And I have had other problems that cost me over $1000 to repair which I gladly paid. I understand the difference between normal wear and tear and something that was defective and improperly fixed.

What it all boils down to for me is this, does Honda want to keep a loyal life-long customer, or not? It will cost them approximately $2000 to $3000 to do that. I have spent in the range of $60-80,000 at this dealership in the last 15 years. I will continue to spend my money there if I am happy with the quality of the product and service, up until this point I have been. It has little to do with specific warranty coverage periods or number of miles. No perfectly maintained, non-abused, single owner, modern automatic transmission for a passenger vehicle should need a complete replacement within 140000 miles. No one would buy a vehicle, new or used, with that expectation, unless the $3000-$4000 was taken off of the front-end cost.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Well, I wish you luck, but I doubt that Honda or any other auto company will honour your request, due to mileage and years in service. Your best bet is probably a discount from your local dealer.
    I went and had the transmission & radiator replaced an a local shop I know & trust. I haven't had any probelems since- and it's been a couple thousand miles. I opted for a Jasper transmission since Honda has been known to have problems. I don't regret it- Just wish Honda would increase the recall that they did for the previous years to apply to the 05 since it's the same issue.
  • jlaw79jlaw79 Member Posts: 1
    No warning at all...just started overheating and then there was a huge puddle of nastiness on the ground. Same problem as described above: transmission cooler inside the radiator gave out and got antifreeze inside the tranny.

Only have 90,000 miles on it, and now they want $5000 for a new transmission. Ouch.

This is by far the worst and most expensive incident that has ever happened to any of the vehicles I've owned (Mazda, BMW, Nissan...)

And I thought Honda's were supposed to be solid....
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    From reading these posts, it sounds like the problem originates with the trans. oil cooler inside the radiator. Has anyone either replaced the radiator early and avoided the trans failure or bypassed the internal trans cooler with an external trans cooler? Seems crazy for Honda to allow 3k tranny to be destroyed because of a $300 radiator.
    I replaced the radiator earlier on and still had the transmission problem. I don't think you could bypass but I'm not a mechanic.....
  • hil7hil7 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    My 2003 Honda Pilot has had seat belt recalls, air bag recalls, and has been serviced regularly. In fact, it had a scheduled service yesterday. Today ( with 122,000 miles on the clock, ) it decided to only reach 20 mph on the interstate, with me driving in the rain and dark, with my 11 year old son, coming home from swimming practice. That was a trip from hell. It took me two hours to drive 15 miles. I wish I never bought the Honda Pilot new from the dealership. I should have kept my 9 year old GMC Suburban that never gave me a bit of trouble. I miss " old Reliable" now . It just goes to show that new Honda vehicles are not built with quality if they show they are LESS reliable when brand new, than the 9 year old vehicle that was traded in. I'm very disappointed with my Honda Pilot. I would never purchase another. I think this one was fabricated out of old soda bottles. I only purchased it after researching vehicles on Consumer Reports. Huh. I will take their recommendations with a pinch of salt next time. I'll rely on friends and family reports when I choose my next new car !
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You think it's a piece of junk after 8-9 years??
    My only advice is to get rid of it immediately, or it might start costing you an arm and a leg to do things like I had to, like replacing the transmission, motor mounts, rear seals, etc... Honda is definitely not the quality they used to be, they will only make cars that last the warranty period and then leave the owners exposed to thousands of dollars in repair bills, like they did me.
  • blackdragon1blackdragon1 Member Posts: 7
    Well, the expectation these days is that when you pay $40k for a vehicle, it will last 200k before having major issues. I don't mind the miscellaneous stuff, but there is no way a transmission should crap out at 100k any more. As much as I love the pilot for it's overall value, I'm not happy with the tranny issue. After my last post and another 5k miles, I am starting to feel the vibrations again, guess I'll take another look at the one engine mount that didn't get replaced and then figure out what to do.

My wife bought an Acura TL and I'm so disappointed with the stereo and nav system in it - basically the technology is at least 10 years old and sucks. Ok maybe the Ford Fusion isn't having the best review with the new MyTouch system, but at least they are going out on a limb and innovating, Honda's still resting on its success from 10 years ago...
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    2005 pilot, with 55k. No transmission problems YET. Can I do anything to PREVENT this???
  • hil7hil7 Member Posts: 2
    Your Pilot may well be okay, Mine was the first year that the Pilot was sold 2003 ~ and it's riddled with problems. Not sure when Honda re-designed the vehicle, but I hope for your sake that they built the 2005 better than the 2003 !! Good Luck. There really is nothing you can do to prevent a transmission failure if that's the way the car was designed and built.
  • hugh7hugh7 Member Posts: 7
    TRADE BABY TRADE!! had a new 2011 with vibe in trans problems right off the Honda car lot! traded it with only 500 miles on it! lost over $6k! no more Honda junk for me!
  • toybum2001toybum2001 Member Posts: 1
    If i may ask, in what city did you trade in your SUV? The reason i ask is because my husband is trying to get one from a dealer in North Carolina.
  • hugh7hugh7 Member Posts: 7
    Jerry Damson Honda in Huntsville, Alabama!
  • cj75cj75 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure if someone can help me...we have a 2007 Honda Pilot with 104500kms on it...we just found out that the rear main seal has a leak. What are the chances of getting Honda to do a Goodwill repair?
    We have taken the car to the same dealership for all our services plus we just bought a Ridgeline from them a few months ago...
    Thanks
  • happydriver123happydriver123 Member Posts: 2
    How did they fix the problem? We're having a similar problem but it happens intermittently. Every so often the car will not go into 2nd and 3rd gear. At 20 mph, the rpm's rev, but the car does not speed up. A second or two later, it works.
  • happydriver123happydriver123 Member Posts: 2
    Every so often our 2003 Pilot will not go into 2nd and 3rd gear. When accelerating at 20 mph, the rpm's rev, but the car does not speed up past 30mph. A few seconds later, it accelerates. It happens intermittently so it is very hard to figure out. It occurs on backroads and highway entrance ramps. The Dealer cannot replicate it or find anything wrong on the computer.

This all started happening after the dealer flushed the tranny fluid. They did not follow the instructions in the owner's manual (to flush, fill, run car, flush, fill again.) So when I was having these problems, I had them do it again. They said that Honda did not require them to follow the procedure as specified in the owner's manual! What????

Prior to all these problems, we had a "D" light flashing but that stopped. And one day after being stuck in an hour of traffic, the car bucked and made a loud noise, (both in drive and reverse) but that stopped also.

Very frustrating that we keep bringing it back to the Honda dealer and they cannot figure out what is wrong. This is a safety issue and feel like I am going to get rear ended! Help!!!
    Mine did the same thing with no shifting and I had the revving at 40 mph....could not replicate it at all with the mechanic, etc. I went online and started looking and low a behold found out that there's a bunch of us all with the same problems. Have them check out the torque converter...that was defective on mine that led to finally a whole new transmission. I haven't had any problems at all since I had that all replaced. I replaced it with a non-Honda tranny (Jasper-remanufactured & Gtd for 3 years). Its a big price tag but I felt it was worth it. I have 110k on my 2005 and hope to have it a long time.
  • bjaderbjader Member Posts: 10
    In experienced about transmission it is a good idea if you will do the transmission flush. Changing transmission fluid and filter. Inside the transmission cover there is a magnet that collect tiny iron particles. You need to clean it too. Change also the transmission gasket then put it back the way it was. Fill up with correct amount of new transmission fluid. I think it will help.
  • bjaderbjader Member Posts: 10
    Check engine can be diagnose by using ODB2 car reader. ODB2 car reader is compatible to all car year 1996 up to the present. Underneath the dashboard on driver side you will find a socket to connect your ODB2 car reader. Hook it up then turn the ignition key but don't let the car run. Wait 15 seconds and it will show the code. The definition of the code will tell you the problem of your car. bjader
  • sthorhauersthorhauer Member Posts: 4
    Same thing happened to my 2005 Pilot last week. Had the blinking D light problem 4 months ago and paid $350 to have that part replaced only to have the radiator/transmission catastrophic failure happen one week before Christmas. This was a car I had hoped to get 200,000 miles out of. NOT!! Our repiar was going to cost $7,000. Needless to say, we left it at the Honda garage and walked across the street and purchased a Subaru Forester. I plan to file a complaint. They offered me absolutely no help with the cost and were only willing to give a small amount in credit toward purchase of a new Honda. When you pay more than $30,000 for a Honda you expect reliability and quality. We did not get either. :sick:
    Transmission and radiator just went in our 2005 Pilot with 112,000 on it. Dealer quated $7,000 repair. I will not tell you what I quoted back. We no longer own a Honda. Would love to take part in class action. Have you pursued this anyh further and if so who should I contact?
  • hondatranshondatrans Member Posts: 1
    The same thing just happend to my 2005 honda piolot, has anyone posted a complaint to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaint if enought of us do that perhaps something will happen. Our repair cost is lower new trans, radiator and hoses total approx: $5700 which also included the timing belt since we are at 180K and would like to keep the car for another 2 yrs.
    Hi, I did file a complaint for mine...YES...everyone please do the same!
    Just filed my complaint with NHTSA. Please do the same if you have had similar problems. When enough people complain maybe we will see some kind of restitution!!
  • gatdammitgatdammit Member Posts: 17
    I just sent a letter regarding this thread to these people:

http://www.carconsumers.org/index.htm

We'll see what they think. Also told them about the similar issue with shared tranny on Odyssey, MDX, Accord.

Wrote Consumer Reports couple years ago since they STILL give the 1st gen pilot highest ratings but nothing ever came of it.

Save your receipts!!!
  • hapeacreshapeacres Member Posts: 4
    Yes! Replace the 3rd and 4th gear shift sensors and religiously do a 3X tranny fill and drain every 40K. Add two tubes of Dr. Tranny Shudder Fix in last tranny fill and good luck! I was not so lucky.
  • hapeacreshapeacres Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 04 Pilot off a used car lot and noticed a "rumble strip" noise on the way home after buying the car for 9,000. I obviosly did not feel this during the test friove and had no idea about any of this because I thought Honda made great cars. I returned it to the dealer and wanted my money back. They said they would not gve it to me and need to determine the problem and they would fix it. I called today and they said they flushed the transmission and drove it and did not see any problems. I am going back tomorrow to try and get my money back but this is going to be a flat out war. I dont want this car with obvious tranny problems. I also dont want to deal with a lawyer. This sucks. Any suggestions?
    I would push to get your money back if you can. I think the only way to really fix it is to replace the transmission. Search this site-you can gather enough info and make the place you bought it from repair it right-replace the tranny. Good luck! make sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA......http://www.nhtsa.gov/
  • campkapalacampkapala Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2004 Pilot that has a VIN number just outside of the Honda Recall. I too have the same symptoms of the "rumble strip" failed transmission. I can see from reading that the problem occurs well past Honda's selected million plus recall. The Acura group that started a Facebook page for MDX owner's with the transmission problem got Honda to issue a service bulletin so the repair work could be done. Shouldn't we do the same? Nothing else seems to be working at this point and so many owners are having to argue for weeks with the Honda people - sometimes to no avail.