Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

18910111214»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,958
    There are some links and pics in the Straightline Blog.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Well GM did it again, Contradicted themselves. They have said that they cant put the duramax in a suburban cause they have to run the allison, and it doesnt fit. Well you can buy a brand new cargo van with a 6.6 duramax and on the back of that d-max is a 4l80e, the same transmission as the 3/4 subs they currently make. Yes the dmax is a detuned 6.6 (250 hp) but it fits in the vans, why cant they wake up and stuff one in a sub???? a 250 hp dmax is better than a 6.0 gas hog. It is my own investigation that MOST diesel subs of the earlyer body style were nothing more than highway crusers. Yes some pulled things, but most did most of there driving on with nothign behind them, untill they were sold by there first owner to someone who either charished that vehicle, or bought it to use it. Usually the second or third owner is the one who pulled the crap out of them. Yes the 4l80e isnt as tough as the allison, but if most of them wont pull more than a boat, or a camper more than 5% of the time that 80e will work just fine! From somone who has build a dmax-allison suburban, it woudl have been alot less screwing around if i could have skipped the lift kit and just put in a 4l80e. If i build another one it more than likely will have the 80E instead of screwing around with the allison. Come On GM.... Just Build one already! while your at it build a H1 wiht a dmax too, What the heck how about a rear drive car again!!! sure with the diesel in that too. "humm, maybe i should make one and take it to the drag strip......"
  • kevins3kevins3 Posts: 10
    I bought my Excursion because chevy was too small and after My wife was almost killed in a windstar!! To elaberate the left side of the windstar opened up like a sardine can. Wanted her safe not to be a target!
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 512
    Did you get a great deal? I still see a few remaining Excursions on the lots around here. All that's left are Limited turbodiesels, which would be great. I'm not in the market right now, otherwise I'd be all over these last of what I consider a very good vehicle.
  • kevins3kevins3 Posts: 10
    I paid cash and think I got a good deal after they gave me clear coat,winter floor matts and molded mud flaps it was 45,000 out the door
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who just purchased or are looking to purchase a large SUV. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday May 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the vehicle you are interested in purchasing or just purchased (please provide approx. date of purchase).

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• sfaradaysfaraday Posts: 5
    I am in the market for a 2003-2006 used large 3/4 ton SUV. We presently have a 94 Suburban 1500 which has been oustanding for my wife, 5 kids, dog, 3 cats, 2 Kayaks, canoe, camping gear, hockey gear, soccer gear, baseball gear,towing a travel trailer and me. But We are now having to move into a larger 32 foot Trailer. We hate to give up our suburban which we have had for 11 years but..no choice.. We will only be pulling the trailer 3 or 4 times a year but I am told we will need more pull power to comply with the law and to do the job properly.

Any suggestions? what should I buy

Yukon XL 2500
    Suburban 2500
    oe Excursion Diesel?
  • oniscusoniscus Posts: 10
    Excursion diesel with be a good fit for your needs. Own a 2007 burb 1500 ltz :shades: myself.
  • tjr2tjr2 Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Excursion, 6L Diesel, leather trim, DVD and so on. 4 Kids, wife and sporting events galore. Interestingly enough, I am looking to trade it in the next few weeks. Let me know if you or anyone is interested.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,958
    There's a Sell Your Car link on the Edmunds.com home page you should check out. We just stick to car talk in the discussions and let the ads live elsewhere.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I'm a fan of the Suburban. I own a 97 GMC 1500 Sub. The excursion would be good for larger loads but for hauling people or going on vacations with luggage, the suburban is ideal. However, my preference is the new Expedition EL, the one you mentioned hearing about. I'm currently saving for one.
18910111214»
This discussion has been closed.