Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• 390gt390gt Posts: 17
    I make the same trip often from the east side of Detroit, 300 miles one way. I have a 2000 Ex V-10 4wd with near 30K miles and average 14.5 mpg at same speed. Your mileage will improve. In town it's another story. Move over to the Excursion board. Good luck.
  • cptmcfcptmcf Posts: 7
    My wife (total'd my ford expedition) and kids were T boned yesterday by a Van after a two mile trip to Macdonald's.....they all walked away with nothing more than sore necks....the owner of the van who ran a red light was carted away by way of ambulance.....we are buy an excursion tomorrow....I am glad I am not of the green peace econo box order as I would be arranging funerals for my kids instead of new car shopping. I could give a rats [non-permissible content removed] what you think of the car I put my family in...as long as I can afford the gas I am putting them in the heaviest thing available. And right now thats an Excursion....I priced a 4x4 Limited Powerstroke diesel with a DVD entertainment center and its cheaper than what the local dealer will sell me a denali with no extra options and the FORD will get better MPG and 700 miles between fill ups.

CPT FRIEDMAN
    US ARMY
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,678
    I'm with you Captain. The bigger and heavier the better.. I have a Suburban that I drive everywhere. I like seeing what is going on over the rest of the cars on the highway. I just feel safer. No wrecks so far thankfully.. I would look at the diesel Excursion myself when I trade in..
  • Now that I have read a lot of these messages, I am more confused. It is obvious that those with excursion's love them and those with suburban's love those.... still not sure what is best. Diesel vs v10, do I want to save on gas but pollute the air or do I want to use more gas, more energy? excursions are so cheap now they almost make make more sense.....but the do not tow as much as suburbans..
    signed, confused
  • Just as an FYI, the Diesel version of the Excursion is a LEV and does not pollute the air. The diesel version tows more then a suburban can because it has more Torque. In fact, thats really what its designed to do next hauling people and other cargo.

AS
  • I have a 2001 2500 Suburban 6.0 engine that I pull a 8500 LB Boat and trailer. Also a F350 PS Diesel to pull a 11000 LB 5th Wheel. I have a friend with a 99 Excursion, Diesel and he pulls a boat about 9000 Lbs. He replaced the Transmission at 37000 miles. I think that is the weak point in the Ford. I have owned a 95 Yukon, and a 97 Tahoe before my Suburban. I have never had a power train problem with these trucks and I have pulled a travel trailer with all of the above. My gross weight with the Tahoe, was 11,200 and yes over the limit, but no problems. The other thing about the new Suburban, is the steering is great and turns as good as my Tahoe trade in. The 4x4 Ford is not as easy to park. My F350 needs a football field to make a U turn. It pulls my 5th wheel fine, a gross weight of 19000 lbs. Each has its place, but the Excursion is a truck and the Suburban is in a class all of its own. We drive it every where we go. IMHO

Skipjack
  • jaw2000jaw2000 Posts: 133
    If Ford really is stopping Excursion production, then we all know who the winner is.
  • I am looking at the Excursions at this time. I tow Rock Climbing Walls. I have had to put a new rear end, and a new transmission in my Suburban. I think I need the extra size of the Excursion.
  • I towed rock climbing walls all over the country for the US Army in a diesel excursion. Thats what sold me on the excursion in the first place. The Army goes for the cheapest bid and Ford was lower than Chevrolet, with proper care and maintenance you will get tons of service out of either one. I have heard of Fords going several hundred thousand miles and GM's needing new transmissions after only 30K and vica versa so its possible to get a lemon with either one, I think maintenance is key and if anything breaks, hopefully it will still be under warranty, I like the extra space of the Excursion and the larger size brings some peace of mind if nothing else...either choice is sure to be a good one but the 700 miles between fillups sold me as I hate spending my free time at the pumps. I suggest you drive both as much as possible and see which one "fits" best....sometimes size does matter though ;-)
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    Ford just anounced that they are killing the Excursion due to poor sales. I think 2003 is the last model year.
  • the new 6.0L diesel will be out in '03 the end of production is scheduled at end of '04 hopefully this could change if demand increases. It takes a few years to get the ball rolling hope they don't pull the plug too soon.
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    With the new 6.0L 325HP 560 Ft Lb Tq PSD and HD 5 speed auto trans the 2003/2004 Excursion will be in demand . The Expedition with 5.4 V8 is not in the same class as a PSD Excursion . The PSD Excursion is the first SUV with standard 20,000 Lb GCWR .
    Even if Ford comes out with an extended Expedition with a V6 diesel it will not compare with the Excursion in tow rating.
  • Ford has let the "green" people kill the Excursion... With real world facts and experiences I could market the Ex better than Ford.
    I cannot speak to the gas versions, but the diesel version has better all around mileage than my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee did!!! The Jeep got consistently 13 and 18 mpg over the 125k miles I drove it... Thus far the Ex has gotten anywhere from 15 to 21 mpg for the 4k I've driven it...
    And my wife's '02 Lincoln LS V8 gets poorer mileage than the Ex - the few times WHEN I am allowed to drive it! (Of course it is a FUN care to drive - a stealth sports car!!!)

I KNOW what my true fuel mileage is with our bone stock '02 Ex with the PSD and there are many documented cases of potential for much greater improvement with some simple modifications...
    The PSD reacts well to air intake and exhaust modifications with 20 to 50 HP increases and better mileage from the increased effeciency...
    More air intake = better burn rates of the fuel..
    Proper exhaust tuning = better flow thru the engine... (You can't accept more input without better output!)
    It reacts even better to re programming of the ECU by the Superchips Microtuner and/or the Hypertech Power Programmer with better transmission shift management and on-the-fly engine management. Many report upwards of 5 MPG increases with just the tuners...
    The claims of the tuners to give you increases of 80 HP are correct, with dyno verification of some owners. That's a 33% increase !!!

I don't care to defend my purchase ---
    because it is MY purchase and it is the right purchase for MY situation...
    But it amazes me to see the "I've never had experience with that, but I know what I'm talking about" argument...
    I know there are MANY more important battles we could spend our time on...
    But, after all, isn't that why we fight so hard to defend our "turf", because it is our "turf", not "their's" ???

If you got 'em, hug 'em - EVERY DAY - your children need that!
  • I believe most people have set in their minds that they are either a ford person or chevy. We have a 2000 limited psd to tow our 66 corvette with. I think its a fantastic truck. Its quiet, sound, no rattles or shakes, and great power and mileage. We put in after market items like the 4inch exhaust and a programer (60 extra hp) and filter, and this thing really goes. I would have liked to have a color matching chevy with my trailer and vette, but in my mind the chevys are not in the same ballpark. Every older sub ive been in, rattles, and just seams to wear out a little faster than the fords we have been in. Its all personal opinions, and experiences. Also, my wife looks real good getting out of that limited psd, and the 21mpg on the highway (not towing) looks real good too!
  • Ask yourself why you are buying a monster SUV. Do you REALLY need such a large car ? If so, you may be better off with a cargo van, a minivan, a large wagon, or just renting a truck when the occassion arises. Do you NEED to tow stuff all the time ? You may be better off with a diesel-powered truck, then. They're quite a bit cheaper and have quite a bit more torque when a comprably-equipped gasoline-powered truck or SUV.

However, if you are getting a monster SUV to "keep up with the Jones" or boost your self-image, let me ask you this ? How does it feel to throw $40,000+ down the toilet, while at the same time offending everybody else on the road, harming the environment, and supporting terrorism ? 3 for 1 !!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...supporting terrorism ?

I think that's a bit over the top. If you buy clothing, food or diamonds from abroad one could conclude, using the same "logic," that you support the exploitation of children, slave labor and despotic governments.

tidester, host
  • Hey at lest the Excursion has a purpose. You can tow tons and cart around at lest 8 people. What about the GM Hummer it gets as bad of gas mileage, you can only carry 5 adults and I'm sure it would be a crappy tow vehical because of the short wheel base. I don't understand why all those tree huggers aren't crying about that $55k plus gas guzzler like when the Excursion came out. The Hummer would use twice as much gas to take 8 adults on a 500 mile trip because you would have to use 2 Hummers compared to 1 Ecursion and they would have a more comfortable ride in the Excursion.
  • My girlfriend and I did not need any of these when looking both on-line and at dealers for an SUV. We do not plan to do any heavy hauling or towing. But I did check and compare both.

I checked the engines, features, transmissions and towing capacities. I found the fuel-injected 6.8L V10 for the Excursion has less horsepower than the 6.0L V8 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel. So, I compared it with that engine with the .75-ton Suburban and Envoy XL, both of those with 4WD.

The Excursion has 5 more horsepower than the Suburban or Envoy XL. But GM's are also available with a more powerful optional 8.0L V8. The Excursion has a shiftable 5-speed automatic transmission. The Suburban and Envoy XL have a 4-speed automatic. The Excursion's maximum towing capacity with that engine is 11,000 pounds. The .75-ton Suburbans and Envoy XL's is 12,000. It is 1,000 more, which is handy if needed. And the 2 GM's are estimated to get better fuel economy than the Excursion. There is more.

I am sure I am not the only one who still has cassettes as well as CD's. Cassette is standard in the 2 GM's. It is optional in the Excursion.

If I was to go with a bigger SUV, I would choose one of the 2 GM's over the Excursion. But I had to state the facts about all 3 SUV's.
  • Ok. Now here is the response from an Excursion owner with the 7.3L DIESEL not the 6.0L DIESEL. What you need to remember when comparing these trucks is that the V10 is not really the best engine for towing in the Excursion. With that in mind, I can gurantee you that the 6.0L diesel will get significantly better gas mileage then the 8.0L Gas V8 in the GM's. I only know this because I own a 7.3L Diesel and it gets better mileage then my friends 8.0L Gas V8. On top of that, the Excursion has more torque then 8L Gas V8, which means more pickup on the low-end when accelerating, better mileage then a gas engine while towing, and a much smoother ride while towing. Please Keep in mind, the Envoy XL is a completely different vehicle, with a different weight, differrent engine options, and totally different target area so you cannot really include that in a comparison with 2 .75 ton trucks.

Just thought I would give the facts.
    AS
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    The diesel Excursion has a 20,000 lb GCWR 560 ft lbs Tq @2,000 rpm 44 gal tank and 20 mpg on the highway. Go to any RV forum and you will see the Suburban is not in the same class .
    http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showphoto.php?photo=8709&papa- ss=&sort=1
This discussion has been closed.