Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• You might want to check the Rollover Resitance Ratings from the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

The star ratings are based on what they call "Static Stability Factor", which is determined by the track width and the height of center of gravity. They use some kind of machine to get the height and stabilizer bar is not a factor affecting the measurement.
  • The trailer hitch is not a factroy part; It's US-sourced and installed at the port. Look for an A/C duct for rear passengers under the carpet below the front seats.
  • went into production this month. They'll start to show up on the dealer lots in Jan/Feb.
  • I had mentioned earlier in this discussion that the Dec. issue of Boating Magazine had performed a tow test with the Santa Fe. They rated it to be a very good tow vehicle. For the best tow performance, they do recommend ABS, V6, and AWD. This test isn't on this mag's website yet -but you may be able to find this issue in your local grocery store.
  • We are now on our second Santa Fe. We traded our 2001 model for a new 2003 GLS V6 AWD. The Santa Fe seems to hold their value really well. I had originally paid $19500 for my 2001 and I got $17500 for it on trade. I paid $21500 for my 2003 with moonroof, ABS, AWD, Monsoon 6-Disc changer. They even threw in a tow package and a rear window air deflector.

On the tow package - I do recommend only going with the OEM Hyundai package. The dealership had originally contracted U-haul to install their so-called "OEM specific hitch" by Drawtite and it was the poorest fitting hitch I had ever seen. The exhaust system rattled against it and there was no clearance for the spare tire. Once I had complained to the dealership, they promptly ordered and installed the Hyundai hitch - (round tube model) and haven't had a problem since. If this hitch is ordered from Hyundai - they also include the wiring harness, receiver cover and receiver (no ball). This is a much cleaner installation.
  • Both the 2001 and 2003 Santa Fe's that I have owned have never been short on power. Off the line acceleration isn't the greatest-but once you are moving-the Santa Fe does not fail to perform. It passes other vehicles effortlessly. My family and I have taken several road trips to L.A. from S.F. along the I-5 corridor in both the 2001 and 2003 models, and power delivery has always been smooth and ready to perform - they even handled the Grapevine grade with nary a wimper. I was passing V-8's up the grade! Even my sister-in-law's 4-cylinder 2003 Santa Fe 2WD did well on the Grapevine. So short on power - maybe for some people - but I am very satisfied with the power delivery of this vehicle.

The only thing I am not happy with is the gas mileage. It never seems to be consistent and fluctuates a lot - even in the same driving conditions - I have never gotten anywhere close to what is posted as the "rated range" for this vehicle. (GLS, V6, AWD)

Anyone else having problems with gas mileage?
  • I'm really interested in the Santa Fe for its features and all the standard options it comes with but I just test drove a Sorrento and this new SUV is making my decision a little more difficult! Kia has gone all out to try to make a pretty durable SUV that is loaded with lots of options and features unlike the cheaply made sportage. Incredibly both these SUVs are very similar in performance and features. Does anybody have any input on this comparison??
  • Yes, it is a nice vehicle, but please remember one thing: the Santa Fe is based on a car platform (a "cute ute", if you will), while the Sorento is on a truck frame. The ride and the mileage will both take a big hit because of this. What you need to ask yourself is how much serious four-wheeling are you going to do? If your needs our light, like ours, choose the Hyundai. We have had our 2002.5 Santa Fe since May, putting on 15000 miles in the process. We absolutely love it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if we could afford it!!! Good luck with your decision.
  • jci1jci1 Posts: 34
    Can you owners please list what you have been getting in mpg? Also let me know if it's a 2wd or awd. Thanks!
  • i am trying to purchase this black/silver gls w/sun/abs. i have discussed cost with several dealers so i decided to goto one dealer who agreed with my offer of $22,000, including tax and destination. well to make a long story short i did not get my santa fe yet. i got in the dealership and got the run around. the manager that helped me tried to sell me the car without the sunroof or abs. i am sitting there, i look at my wife and newborn daughter and i say that is like selling me a car without airbags, let's get outta here. guess it is time to go outta town.
  • lrchomelrchome Posts: 130
    I have a 2001 LX 2WD,and I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I average between 22 and 23 miles to the gallon,in surburban driving,and 26to27 mpg on the Interstate. I have 22,500 miles on the Santa Fe.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,157
    That's great Lrchome, even better than the EPA estimates. You must have the right "touch." I guess flat roads help too....

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• The price you quote seems like such a sweet deal. what part of the country do you live in? I am from Maine and having a hard time finding the one we want. We would like the GLS,Abs,AWD roof rack and tow at least. of course would get the LX if in our price range. The dealership could locate one and said $22,199 though not sure on roof rack. Seems high. Didn't seem to want to go lower than 24 for the 2 lx they had on lot. Slim pickings up here. Any suggestions? Also does anyone have the gold/sandstone color? Are you happy with it? that is what the one the located is.
  • mj14mj14 Posts: 1
    Looking for a reputable dealer in the Nassau County area of Long Island, NY. I believe My fathers 2002 Santa Fe (bought in August) has a transmission and electrical problem I will be handling this problem for him and am not familiar with the Valley Stream or Hempstead Service departments. Someone also mentioned Huntington which will be about 3o minutes away but will be worth the trip if they are better. Thank you. First time posting and any information will be appreciated!
  • jci1jci1 Posts: 34
    For those who want to check out a no hassle approach to pricing, try this link. You will see what they have in their inventory and the list and the invoice prices on each vehicle.

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/search.asp

Then just scrool down to Hyundai Santa Fe and press GO!

PS: The discounts offered on other makes seem to be substantial, much more than the Hyundai discounts. And no I do not work there, I just think it's a really cool way to shop!

• dthompson6:

What part of Maine are you in? Coincidentally, I am also from Maine. Grew up in North ME and then my family relocated to Portland, ME area.

I now reside in Northern, CA in the S.F. Bay Area. I purchased my Santa Fe in the Bay Area from a friend that works in the business.

Good Luck with your search! The Santa Fe is worth the effort.
  • O.K. Lots to answer.....On the gas mileage it does seem to vary last we checked we were about 22 hwy and 20 city. We have owned 3 Saturns and have had excellent luck with all 3. I and everyone else assumed I would purchase the Saturn Vue. I started and exhaustive search driving SUV till I was test driving in my sleep. I wanted to like the Vue. The interior looked like plastic and I was not impressed with the drive. I drove them all. I made my husband drive them with me. I am a sales Rep and spend time in my vehicle. I slid into the Sante Fe and it just felt right. It drove and handled so well. It is a loaded LX. Did it over the internet. Got them to add the woodgrain and poly coating for $23,500. Did pay taxes. Its amazing I have had people stop me and ask how I liked it. Mine is the sandstone had lots of compliments to answer your question
  • gator72gator72 Posts: 115
    Thanks Andyz3 for the reply. I've been driving my new Santa Fe LX for a week now and have NOT noticed any more condensation in any of the headlights or foglights. Since last week, we've had all kinds of weather here on the Gulf Coast - from near 75 degrees and rain - all the way down to 30 degrees last night - still NO condensation!

I'll keep my eye on it for a while just to be sure.
    If anyone has any suggestions on hooking up the rear bumper lights, I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Specifically, I'm looking for a socket to fit the lens in the rear bumper. I can adapt the wiring if necessary.

I tried to order a wiring harness from my local Hyundai dealer; but, today, the parts guy told me Hyundai would not ship it in the States.

I have been to all the local automotive/parts suppliers in my area and cannot find a socket that will fit the red lenses in the rear bumper. I found a website that said to use one from a 1993 Mazda RX-7; but, I would prefer to get something new - "off-the-shelf".

I did find some sockets that would fit the hole; BUT, the did not have the "4-corners" and rubber gasket to prevent leaks into the lens.
    Last week, I bought a white 2003 Santa Fe LX with a sunroof. After driving it for a week, I must say I am impressed with the fit and finish; and, overall quality of the vehicle. The quality of the Santa Fe rivals anything in its class from Japan.

I haven't calculated my mileage yet, but today I filled up with 12.8 gallons after driving about 390 miles in the city. FYI: I have a "heavy" foot.

I came out of a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7 liter V-8. It would pass everything but a gas station! So, it took a while to get used to the V-6 power of the Santa Fe. However, in all fairness to the Santa Fe, it has PLENTY of power for freeway merging. I don't miss the Dakota at all - especially the big gas bill each week!

Bottom line: I would recommend the Santa Fe to anyone looking at a mid-sized or "cute" ute; especially the LX model.
  • harry31harry31 Posts: 128
    If anyone has any suggestions on hooking up the rear bumper lights, I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Specifically, I'm looking for a socket to fit the lens in the rear bumper. I can adapt the wiring if necessary.

gator72:

Got to this URL and click on the "Rear Fog Light Conversion 1 & 2" It gives one solution.
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/twospirits411/modifications.htm
  • ok i am suppose to go pick up a black gls awd/sun/abs/mud for 23,494 (total cost with taxes and everything). is this a good deal. i am dealing with the internet person at the dealership. also this nyc so i know the pricing game is a little different. if i can get some quick responses because i am making the deal today!!! in desperate need of this car.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Check out our True Market Value.

tidester, host

• tidester... the tmv is a little cheaper but isnt that quote without tax. if so then i am looking at a good deal
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Then go for it! [usual disclaimers apply!]

tidester, host
  • I was browsing through the msg board and noticed the website posted where you can find out what cars are on the dealers lot and how much they want for them. Does anyone know of any other sites? I have gone to various dealers sites in PA and to the car quote sites. I also went to the local dealer. They are willing to give me what I consider a decent deal BUT its been since thanksgiving and they cannot locate a silver GLX for me.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    I own a 2001 Santa Fe 6 cylinder automatic that's fully loaded. It just turned to 30,000 miles on the odometer. This vehicle is EXCELLENT. We have NEVER had any problems with it. The car runs nicely and it is economical. We drive this car HARD and it has kept up very well for us. I thought that I might share with you all this information.

I recommend the Santa Fe to anyone here who is thinking of buying one. The fit, finish and quality of these SUV's are EXCELLENT. I own the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty and I have not needed to use it yet. The car runs absolutely great.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,157
    You can try our PowerShopper to get quotes in your area.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• why is it that when you contact a dealer before a purchase they cant do anything for you, or cant hear your offer but... as soon as they return your call and you tell them oh i already made the purchase they say now they can beat any price. isnt that hillarious. any comment or has this happened to anyone else.
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Jumping in a little late, but here goes...

I installed the DrawTite trailer hitch and it fits beautifully. No clearance problems at all, with either the exhaust or the spare tire, and it tucks neatly into the bumper, leaving everything but the receiver hidden. The wiring harness also plugs right in to the factory connectors, no wire cutting or splicing needed.

With just over 30k on a 2001 LX FWD, we get 21-22 or so in our normal city/highway mix. Highway is 23-25 or so. With 75 MPH speed limits and lots of hills there aren't too many cars that get EPA numbers around here.

-Jason