Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Hey all -- Pondering the idea of ponying up for a new Hyundai Santa Fe, but I wanted to get something cleared up. A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid (regardless if its a purchase or lease). Any truth to this or just shameless sales tactics? Figured you fine folks would know. Thanks ...
  • harry31harry31 Posts: 128
    >A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the >number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid >(regardless if its a purchase or lease)
    A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid (regardless if its a purchase or lease). Any truth to this or just shameless sales tactics?

Answer: Not true! Shameless sales tactics for sure! Like Harry said, the warranty is based on total time/miles, and there are no mileage per year limitations. The salesman obviously wants to steer you away from the Hyundai.
  • That's what I figured -- thanks guys. I greatly appreciate it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    "The new vehicle will be called the Tucson. It will be smaller than the company's other SUV, the Santa Fe."

Hyundai expands U.S. lineup (Miami Herald)

Watch for a Future Vehicles discussion about it.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6 with 4x4.
    I have noticed that once in awhile when I have come to a complete stop, I get a soft thump coming from the back. It feels as if the car behind me tapped me.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem, & what can be done about it? SURVIVOR93@AOL.COM
  • This is a known and documented bug with some of the 4 and 5 speed automatic transmissions. Your dealership will take care of it free of charge. Most likely requries the transmisson 'memory' to be wiped clean and reprogrammed. No big whup.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    If you need the TSB or recall number, you might ask one of the technicians to post it in our Technical Service Bulletins discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I own a 2003 Sante Fe with a 3.5l motor and it
    is also a 4x4. I always keep the traction control on.
    I am getting 20.9 miles per gallon on the open highway.
    I was wondering if anyone out there with a 3.5L
    motor is getting the same or what they are getting on the highway..
  • I'm looking at a dealer quote of under `7K for the basic 4 Cyl, 2WD. How do I get out of the add ons like dealer prepe, origination fee type of charges on the paperwork? We're Central Mass area.
  • The Santa Fe, designed in the U.S., is Hyundai’s first foray into the SUV. It may be a little late, however. The Santa Fee is based upon the compact Sonata sedan’s chassis, and, for a first effort, it shines. It looks much better in real life than in photos. The bodywork has lots of subtle contours hinting at the sophistication of the manufacturing process. All the trim pieces fit solidly and the look is truly unique. It seems "brawny", like an SUV should, yet it is just the right size, not too big, not too small. Goldilocks would approve.
  • Looking to purchase a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5 V/6 4WD.Anyone have any "real world" gas mileage figures? How reliable has the vehicle been? Also, does the 5year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper or 10year/100,000 mile power train warranty require a deductable? Thanks!
  • Purchased a 2003 Lx model (3.5l w/5 speed auto transmission) in June of '03. Gas mileage averages 20 in the city, 23+ on the highway. I have had no problems whatsoever with this vehicle. Depending upon the dealership you purchase at, a loaner car may be available if your vehicle has to stay overnight. There is no deductible on any warranty repair, unlike other manufacturers with long warranties.

On my first oil change, the tech overfilled my power steering and brake resevoirs. I corrected this, and when I told the dealership about this they gave me a coupon for a free oil change. (Unfortunately, they had already let the tech go because he had done this on several cars).

I've been totally satisfied with the product and service to date.
  • No concerns, complaints, or whatever...just letting you know that I'm also going to buy a 2004 Santa Fe AWD GLS 3.5L around February and I'm also interested in gas mileage figures for that vehicle. I'll only be commuting about 26 miles a day, with some extra business trips around Michigan every now and then.

I've researched A LOT of SUVs in the past month or so and narrowed my list down to the Santa Fe, Mazda Tribute, Chevy Trailblazer, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander. So why did I finally choose the Santa Fe?

Tribute: way too many engine problems. I need reliability. Otherwise, a very nice vehicle at a good price.
    Trailblazer: reviews aren't too good for it. Too expensive when configured the way I want it. Great size and wonderful 4.2L engine, though.
    Pilot: really bad brakes scared me away, along with the price.
    Highlander: have owned two Toyotas in the past and loved both. This one's just too expensive, though.
    Santa Fe: Best bang for the buck, especially with the 3.5L engine. The engine's not new and badly needs a technological makeover (Honda's similar engine makes...what...230 HP or more?) but it's "mature" and "proven" and smooth with a good torque curve. I've seen both 195 HP and 200 HP stated for it...I wonder which one's correct. Anyway, the larger engine clinched it for me. I'm taking the wife out for some serious test driving sometime soon. I've only test driven it once last year with the smaller engine (unimpressive).

I live in the Thumb of Michigan and we usually get a lot of snow and icy road conditions (except this winter, which is so far snow-free). The 3.5L Santa Fe's Borg-Warner AWD system is hyped up pretty well, but I'm still wondering how it compares to the other Hyundai AWD system which was very highly rated.

I'll check back in occasionally with my buying and driving experiences.
  • skuuterskuuter Posts: 144
    Hey jvenezia!

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I did, regarding the competing small SUVs. Good luck convincing your wife to go with the Santa Fe. Once she drives it, I'm sure it'll be a cinch.

I've got the 2.7 liter 4WD, and we're averaging 20 mpg with 60 mile round-trip commutes. I would imagine the 3.5 will get less under the same circumstances, but I am curious as well.
  • I now have 5368 miles on my Santa fe.
    No problems yet. My gas mileage is betwenn 20-21 mpg on the open road.
    My only concern was that before my first oil change I checked the oil & it was about a half quart low. I filled it and changed the oil at 3,ooo miles. I guess when the car was PDIed
    they over looked the oil.
    Anyway I have checked the oil twice. Its right on the mark.
     I love my Sante Fe.
  • bria5bria5 Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing a 2004 Santa Fe base model 2.4L and was wondering if anyone with this model with over 15k miles could let me know how it's keeping up. I currently have an Elantra that I haven't have any problems with; just looking to get something different.

Thank you
  • I just passed 25,500 miles on my Santa Fe and it's still running great. Only brought it in once and that was due to the seat belt buckle broke somehow (it won't hold the buckle anymore). No issues other than that!
  • bria5bria5 Posts: 5
    Sounds good! I test drove it over the weekend and I think I'm going to go for it. Thank you for responding.
  • bria5, Enjoy your Santa Fe! I have the 2003 LX with the smaller engine (got it before they released the new engine)