Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Engine Issues

Comments

• I am having the exact same problem with my 93 subaru legacy. It ran fine and then one day it wouldnt stay running like its not getting any fuel, but like you said you can play with the pedel and it will rev up and then die when you put it in gear. I dont want to put any money into it until I know the problem. Hopefully someone knows what I need to do.
  • afineafine Posts: 2
    I've got a 97 Subaru Legacy with about 105,000 miles. I'm going out of the country for about 10 months, and I'm not sure whether to leave the car to be turned on once a week, or sell it before leaving.

It's been a great car for me. It's in pretty good shape, just put in $800 to fix an oil leak. I made the mistake last summer of leaving it sitting for the summer without being turned on, and had to put in about $800 to fix the brakes after that. Had a new clutch put in a few years ago as well.

I was told if I leave it, and have it turned on once a week, the brakes will still rust some. How much will that likely cost me?

And how much is a subaru of this age likely to cost me over the next several years. I've heard they keep going for a long time. If I keep it now, I'd probably want to get something newer in the next few years, but it may be that it will be more economical to hold on to it now if it likely won't cost me that much in the next few years, especially given that I've just put money into it. Or it might make sense to sell it while I can still get something for it, and since I'll be away.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Aaron
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Tough call...I don't think I'd want to pay 10 months' worth of insurance if I wasn't driving the car, though. That's about $800 for me.

I would sell it.
  • afineafine Posts: 2
    My plan would be to cancel my insurance, and have the car just turned on in the drive way every week, not driven.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Well, if the rotors are a primary concern, it would definitely need some moving around so that the brakes were applied enough to "clean" the surface of the rotors. But, that aside, I would do the same with the insurance. I have several "seasonal" vehicles and I call to cancel liability on them all the time. I also have comprehensive at $1000 deductible so that when I cancel liability, they cost me about $1 per month to keep on the policy. Just the multi-car discounts applied to the primary vehicle more than cover that cost. Then I can call at a moment's notice and reactivate the liability with no hassle. Plus, should a tree fall on them while parked, I could recover a decent amount from them rather than just selling them for scrap. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, maybe have the person just drive it around the block once a week. The battery might die, so maybe even farther, let that alternator charge it up a little.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Correct, don't cancel the entire insurance on 'em, just the collision and liability. Now, if the person driving the vehicle around the block gets into a fender bender, it's likely on their insurance bill.

-Brian
  • bluebaru2bluebaru2 Posts: 1
    I had exact same oil gasket leak problem in my 95 legacy at about 98k miles, this was about 3 years ago. I had it fixed at the dealership for about what you paid; the problem never came back. My leaks were 'minor', however it didn't take more than a few drops of leaked oil to create a very smelly problem. :blush:
  • gordon13gordon13 Posts: 2
    car started running rough and bucking. found oil in the place where the spark plug goes, and the plug wire end is saturatrd with oil. how did this happen? please help.
    It is most likely that the valve cover gasket around that socket is leaking. Each valve cover on the H4 has three gaskets - one around each of the spark plug sockets, and a third (large) one around the perimeter of the head. They are somewhat prone to leak, especially if the engine is overheated or the oil is overfilled. If you pull the cover off, clean it up, apply some silicone gasket sealer to both sides, insert the gasket, and torque it back down, your problem should be solved. Not to say the engine will not run rough unless the oil leak was the source of the problem... ;)
  • gordon13gordon13 Posts: 2
    thank you so much for the info on that. i was paranoid about it being something worse. soooo cool.
    I doubt it is something worse. The oil, if it leaks in there from the gasket, tends to sit because the plug wire has a big seal on it that is intended to keep dust, debris, etc., out of the plug cavity. When you pull the wire, it releases the oil.
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Yeah, what Wes said. I've had to replace those o-rings around the spark plug holes on both my Forester and my wife's Outback. I find that they are leaking by around the second spark plug change (about 60K miles), so I just figure those parts, as well as new valve cover gaskets, into every other 30K mile service.

Len
    That is interesting, Len. Of all the leaks I had on my '96 during it's 220K miles, not once did those inner "o-rings" leak. Probably because the outer VC gaskets and camshaft seals would go first, but still.... :P

I was keeping my fingers crossed on the '07 Outback. I switched it to 0W-30 Amsoil at about 4500 miles and planned on running that for the duration of the car's life. Not sure if it would have resulted in less or more likelihood of leaks. I will never know at this point!
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    Wes,

You'd never know there was a leak until you pulled a plug wire. In talking to the parts guy at my local Subaru dealer, he told me they keep lots of those o-rings in stock, because it is such a common problem, and their service guys are changing them all the time. FWIW, I use Castrol GTX 5W30.

Len
  • i have a 96 subaru legacy wagon with around 150000 miles on it. It has intermittent overheating problems (every couple of weeks). The radiator and thermostat were replaced about 2 months ago, i understand one cause of the overheating besides problems with the head gasket is not properly bleeding/burping air from the system when coolant is refilled. Would air have worked its way out after 2 months or could this still be a problem? How do I tell if this is the problem and how do i fix it if it is?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    sounds like it could be the water pump.

-mike
    That is a possibility, for sure. Andrew, how/when does the overheating actually happen? Is it quite gradual? Sudden? After a long drive or at the start of a drive?

As for the air, park the car on an incline (radiator up) and pull the bleed screw from the left side of the radiator. You should be able to work any air out of the system by initially filling through the upper radiator hose until full, then attach it and continue to fill through the radiator cap. Forcefully squeeze the upper radiator hose every so often to force the fluid around and work out any air. When the system is full and you get no bubbles, you should be good.

If air then returns to the system, you likely have a head gasket problem. Also, if there is black combustion gunk in the overflow tank, same deal. :sick:
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If it was a bubble then you'd likely overheat everytime you drive it. Since it's random I'm putting my $ on water pump issue which usually is intermittent.

-mike
    I think so, too. But, he asked about bubbles, so I offered up my technique for filling the system bubble-free.

Intermittent, that is, until it fails altogether! :D