Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Escape

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
The new Escape is on its way - please let us know what you think.

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    i wonder if they did the same thing as the '05 explorer? invoice stayed the same, but dropped the sticker price.
    as a current escape owner, i would have liked drivetrain upgrades, before styling changes.
    interior might be better, but i need to see it without the nav. overall, i still like the escape.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The new 3.5L V6 and the 6speed auto is at least 2 years away. Ford simply does not have enough factory capacity for right now to give this to the Escape.

I just hope that the heads that are rolling are the ones that screwed things up.

Mark.
  • drdan3drdan3 Posts: 13
    A few points about other weird decisions made by Ford regarding the 2008 Escape which I drove today.
    1. All grabbars have been removed, seems odd given that they have made the vehicle look more like a truck than ever
    2. The radio/climate control system is a mixed bag. It includes a "recirculation" button for the first time (how long did that take!) but depending on the setting (even without defrost) it will resort to outside air. The non-nav radio uses a led display panel above the air outlets and thus creates a completely "nonstandard" radio arrangement. I suppose this would not be so bad, but it really sucks if you want to use aftermarket parts (nav kit, bluetooth). Bluetooth is not available directly from the factory (what century is Ford living in?). The nav kit is $2700 and does nothing more than the nav function. There are no slots for SD memory cards so that it might be possible to control MP3s using the touchscreen. There is an auxillary input, so at least that's something.
    3. The brakes seemed mushy...
    On the other hand, the ride was generally pleasant and the handling seemed good. But then again, that's true for the competition like Rav4 and CRV, both of which get better gas mileage in non-hybrid form. I was set to buy the vehicle, but given the issues raised above...I will have to look at the competition more carefully.
  • Boy, has Ford dropped the ball on the new Escape. I've liked the look of the Escape for some time, But, it's getting old. And the fuel economy has not been all the great. I've been holding off hoping that the 2008 Escape would be worth the wait. But sadly, it's not. In the looks department, it's taken a big step backwards. How can a company come out with the Edge, and then this version of the Escape? Wouldn't you think that the Escape would follow in it's big brothers footsteps as far as styling goes? But the bigger dissapointent is the power and drive train. I can't believe Ford didn't address this with new engines and transmissions. If I want a small SUV, I'm left no choice but to look to the Rav4 or even now the New Mitsubishi Outlander. Both heads and shoulders above the Escape, and for less. Sorry Ford, I really wanted to purchase American. But you've given me no choice.

Glenn Strouse
    I would definitely consider the Mazda CX-7 before the Mitsu. ICK.

As for the Escape, at least its short comings will only be with us for about 2 model years.

The 6 speed tranny is definately coming in a couple of years and I hope the 3.5L is as well.

As for the blue tooth, if you can wait a few months, Ford will www.syncmyride.com

Mark
  • I'd not recommend anything by Mazda. Their warranty follow-up is the worst in my experience. I've purchased 15 new cars over the last 20 years and Mazda is the hands down winner of the worst manufacturer experience.

I've purchased a Miata and a Tribute. I still own the Miata.

Compare the Outlander against the Escape and you'll think the Escape is 20 years behind. I have no affiliation with Mitsu and do not own one.

Ray
  • fjb37fjb37 Posts: 5
    Went to the Chicago Auto Show to look at the 08 Escape(we have a 05 Limited). Very disapointed at the display or rather the lack of one.

Ford had two on display. One Hybird on an elevated platform with the doors opened and a Limited on the floor locked up tight. The Hybird had rear disk brakes and the Limited had rear drum brakes.

One improvement I noticed was no more right hand stalk on the steering column for the wipers. It was impossible to tell if the tilt range of the column was improved or not as you could not get in to try it. The tilt range on our 05 is useless. The interior looked better but is still made of hard/cheap plastic but it did look as if the elbow rest in the door panel had a soft insert. That would be an improvement.

Nothing there to make the wife and me race to our Ford dealer to trade the 05 for an 08.

Ford was more interested in promoting the 08 Taurus (AKA Five Hundred). Just my $0.02. :cry:

FredB
    Seems the same to me as previous generation...IE does not move enough.

Mark.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    The pictures on the internet don't do this vehicle justice. I saw a red limited 08 Escape today and it looked very nice. A definite improvement in my opinion.. ;)
  • antoninbantoninb Posts: 47
    My wife and I had just finished test driving a new Santa Fe GLS (Canada version) and decided to drive down the road to look at a new Escape. We'd also taken a new Edge out a few weeks prior.

We didn't get a chance to drive a new Escape, but spent some time checking out interior features, leg room, etc. Our first impression was that compared to the Santa Fe, the interior of the Escape looks very cheap and dull. Having said that, in Canada, it comes with features that the Santa Fe doesn't have, such as in-dash CD-changer and aux input for MP3 player. I'll post again once we've had a chance to drive a new Escape.

2007 Santa FE

2008 Ford Escape.

I'm not a fan of fake wood. Also, I like the top of dash display and the blue lighting. Lots of hard plastic though.
    I like that the controls on the Hyundai are mounted higher up by moving the vents to the sides.

Mark
    So, now that we've thoroughly test driven an Escape Limited, I will happily withdraw my previous criticisms about the interior. We drove a black / black Limited, and came away very impressed. This vehicle is now on our very short list, and maybe even ahead of the Santa Fe. We have yet to experience a new Mitsubishi Outlander though.

I have a few questions though for anyone willing to respond...

- Why rear drum brakes? Obviously they're cheaper to maintain, but most vehicles in this class have disc all round.

- How effective is the AWD? Is it activated electronically? Is it a good system? I do like that the Santa Fe and Outlander can lock in the AWD at low speed. I don't believe the Escape has this feature.

- Does the "shuffle" feature work just for the CD being played, or across all CD's in the 6 CD magazine?

Thanks!
    The Escape AWD is electronic and engages within 50 milliseconds.

The "low" on the Santa Fe and Outlander is a gimic. Neither of those 2 trucks have either the towing capacity, or the ground clearance to go anywhere or do anything that would reasonably require a low range on the 4x4.

Shuffle works for the CD being played.

Rear drums: Ford claims that stopping distands are the same with the reat drums.

Mark.
    The Escape AWD is electronic and engages within 50 milliseconds

Thanks - the AWD on our 03 CRV is activated by pumps, and tends to be slow sometimes. I'm looking forward to a newer and more responsive system.

The "low" on the Santa Fe and Outlander is a gimic. Neither of those 2 trucks have either the towing capacity, or the ground clearance to go anywhere or do anything that would reasonably require a low range on the 4x4.

No plans to tow or go offroad. With the snow that we get, we do like the ability to lock into awd at low speeds. I could see it as being useful, or at least adding some security to what can sometimes be an interesting drive.

Thanks for your response! :)
    No plans to tow or go offroad. With the snow that we get, we do like the ability to lock into awd at low speeds. I could see it as being useful, or at least adding some security to what can sometimes be an interesting drive.

Low range is used to engage the shorter gear in the 2 speed differential. You have to be at a complete stop, shift the truck to neutral then set the diff to low and then your speed is limited to 15 mph.

Low does not give you better traction it merely provides more torque and more engine braking.

People who go off road (not dirt or gravel, real off road trails) use low range for maximum engine braking when going down long descents where going over 3 to 10 mph will mean total disaster and relying only on brakes would smoke'um.

People who tow boats can use low range to get pull a boat out of a steep ramp.

If you ever try to drive through deep enough snow where a "low range" is necessary, you will probably be in deep enough to break your axles and end up stranded due to the overall low clearance.

People who actually do the types of things for which a "low range" would be used, would never by a Santa Fe or a CRV to do them, hence its a gimick

Escape has no buttons or knobs because the system is constantly measuring wheel speed differences and can almost anticipate wheel slip and will engage with in the blink of an eye. This system is closer to Honda's SH-AWD on the MDX/RDX then the hydraulic system used on the CRV.
    Sorry - I think we're both talking cross-purposes here. No problem.

To be clear, I'm not searching for a low gear on any of the vehicles that I'm considering. I merely noticed the ability to lock in AWD at lower speeds (eg below 30 kmh) and liked that feature as a means to ensure maximum traction in situations where I should be driving slowly anyway.
    Escape doesn't need the switch because its system already reacts so quickly.

Mark.
  • dificadifica Posts: 9
    I really like the look of that thing, reminds me of the 2nd generation Ford Explorer, but the grille shape is better. Though i like the squared off looks, it looks a bit draggy when compared to the "modern" crossovers, and i suppose that'll hurt the fuel economy somewhat.
    6 speed prolly won't arrive until 2009.

Mark
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    at an '08 escape. it has enough features that i won't rule it out. the drivetrain does dampen my enthusiasm, though.