Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Escape

Comments

• rambo5rambo5 Posts: 37
    I just can't understand how the 2008 can drop a star on the NHTSA front driver crash rating and gain a star on the front passenger when compared to the 2007 model. Frankly, I was ready to pull the trigger on this vehicle but I will not settle for a three star crash rating. It's rock bottom for the class. Ford, I'm trying to be a fan boy...throw me a bone.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    i went to the nhtsa site. you are right about the stars. it makes no sense,though. too bad there are no details about the vehicle specific tests.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Escape was never a very good performer in the crash tests.

The basic unibody structure of this car goes back to 1994 Mazda 626. Before IIHS testing and before the tougher fed test.

In my mind though the IIHS test with more closly simulates a real world crash is a better indicater than the Feds.

Mark.
  • aenlooaenloo Posts: 1
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 2008 Escape Limited. No complaints really (coming from a 1999 Explorer EB) minus this strange item; there is a white hose which suddenly came dangling loose near the gas pedal. Needless to say while driving this was uhhh... panic inducing. ("What is that thing catching on my foot!?!") It looks like it's for air perhaps? I see a hole to the right of the gas pedal, in the console, that seems the likely place the hose was originally connected. Ideas? Yes I'd like to avoid having to make a full-on service appointment if it's a simple fix. ;-)

Thanks!
    J.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    I would have it looked at by the dealer. Hope it in not the air conditioning drain hose or you will have water on the floor.
  • Are you kidding me?

OMG Ford is really hurting :(
    What about GM using rear drum brakes on the Silverado?

In the past drum brakes faded because the organic brake shoe decomposed under heat creating a gas that came between the shoe and the drum causing fade.

If Ford can develope a shoe that does not decompose and does not fade, then what is the difference. Its called progress.

The benefit to you is that your brake job costs less.

Mark.
  • That sucks too, but im sure that silverado has drums only on some models, and you can upgrade.

I guess we are lucky to get 4 doors on this new escape. But if one of the doors was just a grocery bag you would say "hey, at least it saves weight and fuel economy, and a lighter car makes it faster!"

I do not live in a turd world country. I should not have rear-drums.
  • minschy25minschy25 Posts: 1
    Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I just leased a 2008 XLT 4WD Ford Escape on Sat. May 5. I was just admiring it and realized that the drivers side wheel well looks to be rusted. I am going to take it back to the dealership tonight, but before I did so I wanted to know if the dealership might refuse to take care of it since all of the papers for the lease were signed?
    can you be more specific about it? the wheel well liner is mostly plastic.
    is convered under warranty.

Mark.
    that was their first and so far, only post. TROxx, is my guess.
  • bzribeebzribee Posts: 27
    It's a few months later, but I just went to the web site you mentioned and the Escape is NOT on the list of vehicles to get the program. Am I missing something?

• kam108kam108 Posts: 16
    I just bought an 08 escape, and went to the NHTSA website to check out the crash ratings. It's very strange. The 08 escapes made up to 6/6/07 have 3 stars, and the ones made after 6/6 have 4 for the driver instead of 3! It almost sounds like ford put something back into it that they had removed, because the weight also went up from the earlier date to the newer date. I can't get an answer from Ford. I was unlucky enough to buy one made before 6/6.
  • ladyblueladyblue Posts: 326
    Anyone have a clue how to turn off the autodimming feature on the interior rearview mirror? This thing is driving me nuts! It's constantly changing from bright and clear to so dark I can hardly make out the car behind me. It seems to be triggered by light and shadows, so on a sunny day (even a cloudy one) it darkens every time I pass under a tree or anything casting a shadow.

Is this something I have to have reprogrammed by the dealer, or is there a switch I just can't find?

Ladyblue :confuse:
    there is no off switch any more. Call your dealer.

Mark
    The dealer said there's not much they can do except replace the auto-dimming mirror with an old-fashioned one that has a flip lever on the bottom. I've decided to just leave it alone and see if I can get used to it.
  • OK I am a happy 2008 Ford Escape owner but in a way I feel cheated. I have always wanted to have bluetooth capability in my car but Ford never offered this ability. I have been a Ford person forever and have been waiting for years for this ability before I got a new car and now Im starting to regret it, shortly after I purchased my new Escape I learned that will be using this technology in all 2008 cars except the Escape. I was devastated that something I wanted for so long comes after I finally give in a purchase a car. I think I have been cheated and its not fair that all the other 2008 owners will have that option to get this technology while we as current 2008 owners will not I really dont think its fair. Does anybody else feel my pain. :mad:

Another problem that Im having and im curious to see if anybody else has. I have been having horrible traction when it is raining, here's an example. When the tires are wet from the road and Im sitting at a light and I hit the gas to go the tires will just spin and spin and finally get traction and start moving I was wondering if anybody else has this problem. :confuse:
    Yours must be front wheel drive. My 2007 four wheel drive has terrific traction. Never spins in the rain. What make of tires do you have?
  • Yeah all 2008s are FWD I cant remember the tires but they are the ones from the factory for the 16 Rims.
    Where or where did you get the idea that all 2008 Escapes are front wheel drive only. Check Ford's web site. Front Wheel Drive or Four Wheel Drive certainly available.
    I would have loved to have built-in Bluetooth, but it's not available. Maybe they'll offer it as an add-on.

Try to not hit the gas so hard when starting on wet pavement. Your front tires might also be sitting on the painted white stop line, which will make them spin if the road is wet. Hang back a little at the stop light and when it turns green, let the car roll forward just a little before hitting the gas.

I got my remote starter installed today. Way cool! With this heat wave we've been having, I'm looking forward to having the air conditioner already cranking before I get in. I'm also looking forward to hopping into a warmed-up car when winter comes.

Ladyblue :)
    This is very very weird. All 08s have AdvancTrac both FWD and AWD. You should contact your dealer.

Also, as far as Bluetooth goes and Ford Synch, blame the Tribute. Ford has exclusive rights to Synch for one year. So no Synch in the Escape which shares production line with the Tribute.
  • Its not like I slam on the gas when I take off it just normal light pressure to the pedal but I have to press it harder to get it moving.
  • Exactly I don’t think I was fair that the Escape got the short end of the stick. I wanted to see if others wanted it as bad as I do and maybe we could get a petition or a letter to Ford expressing them our desire to have that technology included in our Escapes.
  • I was simply stating that it is Standard that what I was saying for the 2008 Escape you can get it for with AWD but thats an option. Sorry if I wasnt clear.
    This is one strange situation. This vehicle should not spin the way you state. As another person mentioned you have traction control as standard equipment. Better take it to a dealer. We will be curious as to their findings.
  • antoninbantoninb Posts: 47
    Hi everyone,

We'll be taking delivery of a new 2008 Escape Limited within a few days. Does anyone have a checklist that I could use at delivery, to identify anything that needs to be looked at before I accept the vehicle? I know that the factories and dealers these days try to be very quality-focused, but we've all read here about problems. I'd just like to be able to catch them early if I can. Thanks.
    Try to take delivery in the daytime when it is not raining. Check carefully for fit and finish. Check the interior for loose and ill fitting material. Most dealers have a check list that they have supposedly used before delivering the vehicle to you. If you find anything wrong in the next few days advise the service dept. Our 2007 Limited was delivered in great shape but I have had some cars that obviously were not checked by anyone.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    One very important thing to do is: check the tire pressure. Most new cars are deivered with a "higher" than recommended air pressure to avoid flat spots on the new tires. Take a tire pressure guage with you. Even if they say the tire pressure is "always' checked on the pre-inspection list....it is NOT always checked.

NORTSR