Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Escape

Comments

• Does anybody feel that the Sync System should be made available for the Escape since all other 2008 models have this option available and the Escape doesnt?
  • zeeboyzeeboy Posts: 25
    rail dust

buy a clay bar
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    First the Jeep Liberty has what I'll call "pickup truck 4x4"

YOU have to turn it on if you want it. There is also a 4x4 low. But 4x4 low is only useful to people who are going off pavement into extreme 4x4 situations.

Intelligent 4WD on the Escape uses electronics to monitor individual wheel speed, throttle input, steering input, and cornering forces. When a low traction situation is detected or anticipated, more power is sent to the rear wheels in about 50 milliseconds. 1 seventh of a wheel rotation, or about as long as it takes for you to blink your eyes.

This type of system is the best for on pavement use as it reacts to changing road conditions with no driver intervention.

Most sales people who are only ID10T certified incorrectly describe this system as sending more power to the rear when the front wheels slip. The fact is that more power goes to the rear BEFORE the front wheels truly loose traction.

This is different from the Explorer system for instance which uses a hydraulic clutch instead of an electronic clutch. In the Explorer, the rear wheels actually have to spin to send power to the front. Thats why they give you an override button.

The original pre 2005 Escape also used a hydraulic clutch. So they give you an override switch.

Mark.
  • Hi, I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. My son purchased a 2008 Limited Escape in August and has had problems with it since..At first it felt like there was no power and it was going to stall out .He brought it back to the dealers twice and they said the computer found no problem which was hard to believe.Recently, it has gotten worse where it did stall out on a busy intersection with our 6 month old grandson in the back seat.They almost got into an accident . My husband took it right back to the dealers and he almost got hit because it stalled on him..Finally, got a phone call from the service center saying there is a big problem the transmission slips into idle..(no kidding!!) My son doesn't want it back especially with a baby on board..Just wanted to know if anyone else here experienced this. Thanks.
  • At Ford, we're excited about having SYNC available for all our models as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the 2008 Escape was in production before SYNC was ready to be installed in any vehicle. With all the extra wiring and electronics involved it was impossible to add SYNC to the existing design and get the 2008 Escape into production. However, SYNC is scheduled to be available on 2008 Escapes during the 2008 calendar year. SYNC is currently available in the 2008 Focus, Edge, Explorer, MKX and Mountaineer. It will be available on 8 other Ford, Lincoln, Mercury models by the end of this year.
  • just purchased new 2008(ordered it)less than 500 miles and the drivers door window is making a scraping noise when moved uo or down.going in for its first visit next week,anybody else have this happen yet?
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    I have a Forester, and I'm considering a 4 cylinder Ford Escape. Has anyone compared these lately? Opinions?

The Forester is a 4 cylinder, but has a little more horsepower, but I like the Ford's fresh styling and the fact that you can mix options like sunroofs, 6-disc players, etc. How does Intelligent 4WD stack up against Subaru's AWD?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may be interested in this comparison topic: Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn Vue

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • had escape at dealer for window noise-they replaced window runs and adjusted everything,noise is gone,but...they didnt fit the outer molding properly(bent it)and they scratched the b pillar trim on the door.going back today to discuss issue.once again flat rate strikes again!!!we now have 750 miles on it.
  • cgb002cgb002 Posts: 2
    My 2008 sure seems to make a lot of heat shield type noise. When its first starts, when its stopped. Just clicking away. Doesn't sound very good.
  • janrjanr Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am replying to your msg about Escape verses Jeep Liberty. I don't know if you made your choice already but if I could change my purchase, I would go for the Jeep Liberty. They are far more of a machine than the Escape. They also burn more gas. But if you want reliability and good off-roading with good traction, that's the way to go. I ended up buying a 2007 Limited Escape..... I wish I hadn't.
    For hwy driving and city driving the Escape is good enough.
    Janr
  • mb789mb789 Posts: 89
    Thanks for your reply. I have not purchased anything yet.

I am still considering the Escape along with a Subaru Forester w/premium package, and I'm still considering the Jeep Wrangler and Liberty as well.

What is it that you don't like about the Escape? Do you have the 4 cylinder or 6?

To help with fuel, I am hoping to find a 4 cylinder 4WD/AWD that I would be happy with. I like Subaru, but I would like to buy something made here in the U.S.

I have been impressed lately with what seems to me to be the innovative stance Ford is taking. Their prior Escapes had safety issues, and with the new Escapes, they've worked to improve and fix these issues.

Plus, I read two automotive articles recently from different sources, and they both referenced people from Ford that were discussing certain industry topics such as the future of paint colors.

I like it that Ford is out there talking and giving input in the industry. Even though some experts sayd Ford is in bad shape, to me, they are trying hard to put out quality products that are innovative, safe, and fresh.
  • I bought a 2008 Escape back in March when they first hit the showrooms. I can tell you it is an awesome vehicle for the price. I have the FWD 4cyl XLT. The ride is great, it handles good and is quiet. My wife owns a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, and she likes to drive the Escape over the Honda. I have 4500 miles on the Escape to date, no problems or issues whatsoever. I am averaging 25-26 mpg as displayed on the computer. I would buy one of these again in a flash. Ford has come a long way in innovation and quality control with this new Escape.
  • Well I understand that the Sync system will be offered on the models made in 2008 but I dont believe it is fair that the early opters who first supported the new vehicle when it was first released should be left out. Will we be able to get this system added to our existing cars or will be left out? That is the real question I wanted to know.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The Sync system is wired to every electrical system in the vehicle and can not be added after the fact.

Future Sync applications (which will be available to previous owners through updates) will provide the same type of features as OnStar.

Mark.
  • Hello, Mark...

If it's true that SYNC will become Ford's answer to GM's OnStar, in future, then I DEFINITELY would purchase a Ford in time!

Just how long in future do you think SYNC will become the "new" OnStar, so to speak? :confuse:

Peace!<-AladdinSane- :shades: -
  • I bought a 2008 Escape in June. After about a week, I noticed a grinding noise when I take right hand curves at about 20-25 MPH. Is this the same type of noise you heard, and if so, did you get it fixed? I've had my car at the dealer 3 times and they can't "duplicate" the noise therefore nothing has been fixed on my car. I'm taking it to a different Ford dealer, but would like to know if you have any more information I can give them to help resolve this problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • desmo1desmo1 Posts: 26
    We are going to buy an 08 Escape Limited in a few months and would like to know what you can tell me about the following.

Has anyone here had (or heard of) problems with the AWD system? If so, what kind of problems?

How does the gas mileage compare between the AWD and the FWD?

Thanks!
  • I bought a 2008 Escape Limited FWD back in June. I mainly drive only in the city and I have been averaging about 17-18 mpg. I owned a 2001 Escape with 4WD before this and would say that the mileage was pretty much the same. In the 2001 Escape the 4WD only kicked in when it was needed so it wasn't an AWD full time system. I live in a small city that keeps the roads clear during the winter months so I didn't feel it necessary for me to have the AWD. Good Luck with your new 'Escape i'm sure you will enjoy it!
  • desmo1desmo1 Posts: 26
    Thanks, coolbeansoh