Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn S-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sattechsattech Posts: 32
    Hello: burnatt
    Look in your (IPJB) Interment Panel Junction Block.
    Location is down by the passengers left foot.
    Pull the panel off then you will see the (IPJB). Now on the panel you pulled off look at the back side of it and you will see all the information you need. You will be looking for the lighter fuse. 20 amp fuse.
  • Thanks. In other words this fuse is not in the fuse box under the hood?
  • sattechsattech Posts: 32
    Hello: burnatt
    Yes that is correct. You have 2 fuse boxes a (UHJB)&(IPJB).
    Under Hood Junction Block
    Instrument Panel Junction Block
  • 1996 Saturn 1.9L
    On acceleration from low rpm to higher rpm the engine hesitates (coughs).

When the throttle is held steady there is no noticeable problem, but once you release the throttle and begin to accelerate you get a hesitation.

I have a cruise control that it will not stay on because of the hesitation. The cruise control shuts off after you release the throttle.

I have a new ignition, new air cleaner, new spark plugs, new engine temperature sensor, new map sensor, new throttle position sensor, new spark plug wires.

Help
  • Hello: Helpbingo
    Is your check engine light on ?
    If so you need to go to your area parts store to have your codes checked. 1996 Vehicles and on have OBD2 “ On Board Diagnoses”. That will capture any misfires you may have going on with your vehicle. Wright down all information before clearing.
  • I have no faults on the OBD2. The only fault I had was when I took the sensor plug out and ran it to see if there was a difference and there was none. Plugged it back in and cleared the fault.

I have an OBD2 scan tool by AUTOTERRA for Palm OS.

I took the EGR VALVE off today and it was clean at the pinnacle and around the port on both the cylinder head side and the valve side.

I did spray it with brake cleaner and scrubbed with a tooth brush. All the came off was a little bit of black. The pinnacle moved freely before and after treatment.
    Reinstalled it and torqued the bolt and nut. Started it up and it ran. I am going to work soon and report on any change if any.

The EGR has 100,000+ Kms on it.
  • There was no difference in performance after cleaning the EGR Valve.
  • Hello: helpbingo
    If your sure that the EGR valve is fine, unplug the valve and drive the vehicle. The engine light will come on but you understand why. See if it still hesitates. Driving under a load your testing the performance of the secondary ignition.

If it still does.
    Start at the plugs look at them and see what color they are, lightly pepper looking is fine but black is not. Check your fireing order over. Plug gap .040. One other thing you can do is remove all spark plug wires from the coils and put them out of the way. Look at the coil towers and have someone crank the engine over. See if they arck together 4-1,2-3. If not you may have a bad coil.
  • Hello sattech

I unplugged the EGR and drove the car with no change. I got the engine light on and reset it.

I checked the spark plugs and they are white. They are bosch copper plus gapped at .050.

I have Nology capacitor discharge plug wires, AEM cold air intake, a ceramic coated exhaust, and a flow thru cat and muffler, as well as a Complete MSD Ignition.

I am not comfortable with shorting the coils.

But I have run on the stock ignition and have had the same problem.

I have changed the stock coils on the same stock ignition module and had the same problem.

I have changed the stock ignition module and run the stock coils and and MSD coils and had the same problem.

I have changed spark pug wires and had the same problem.
  • Hi sattech,

One other thing I have noticed is that the hesitation always starts after the temperature gauge gets to normal operating temperature.
  • Hi sattech,

Correction ---- The spark plugs I am using are Bosch Super with copper electrode.

I have changed the plugs back to the stock AC Delco and have the same problem with hesitation.
  • Hi sattech,

After a closer look a the spark plugs the outer electrode is white on top, then going gray to black towards the threads.

The sides of the outer electrode are gray, and the under side of the outer electrode is gray.

The center electrode insulator is white half way around and black the on other half.

The face of the plug that circles the center electrode is black. The center electrode is gray with a small amount of light gray deposit on it.
  • i have a 96 saturan sl and just found out a anitfreeze leak near top of or in front of rad does any 1 no any thing about this
  • Hello: helpbingo
    With all the information you gave me there is not much more I can do for you cause you have installed aftermarket items. You may want to consult manufacturer of those items about problem. I can only help those with problems with factory items cause of the resistances in all components. My only thing I can suggest to you is to perform a compression test. And possibly suspect a mechanical problem.
  • Hello: rag rider
    If the leak is at the top of the radiator look at the upper hose outlet. 1 to 2 inches below it in time the bowl cracks and will leak but any kind of leak the radiator is not serviceable. Replacement is necessary.
  • Hi [sattech,

Thank you for your help. It has got me thinking.

Will post the cause when I find it.
  • had a squealing noise when car is cold and first started. it progressed to the cooling
    fan motor burning out.replaced motor and the maxifuse for cooling motor.it worked
    great for a few days and then same problem again(cooling motor not coming on.
    chexked new maxifuse and it is ok.are there and relays in the curcuit that may have
    got hot in first motor failure and have now gave out? help kinda stumped on this.

thanks
    gjk :cry: :(
  • Hello: gjk0726
    I can help but I need some more information about your vehicle. Year, Model, Engine size and then I can help you.
  • 96 sc2 1.9L DOHC, standard 66k miles
    I'm getting about 18-20 mpg city, 22 highway. shifting at 2kRPM each time or 3kRPM has no effect on overall mileage. 3 wire O2 sensor nees to be replaced. will that improve the ileage or is something else wrong? i dont believe there is a leak, burns some oil..dont know whats wrong.
  • Hello: twoplankr22
    First thing I need you to do is check your system out for any failure codes. And then if you can look into your Data stream to view needed information.
    Look at:
    Engine Temp. (cold) . This is the most important sensor that will affect fuel economy.
    Running, what is your map sensor reading because this will affect Ignition timing.
    Spark plug condition
    Air filter
    Let me know about the conditions
    And another thing you can do is fill up and reset your trip meter and see what the mileage per tank.