Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    My gut feeling says go with what is factory recommended. I didn't know there was an additive to change one type of transmission fluid into another!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Why does the dealer only drop the pan and not flush the torque converter? Mine does a full change.....
  • I can't identify where this rattle is originating. It is coming somewhere from the back of the vehicle. Maybe in the rear doors or in the hatch? It only happens on bumpy roads. Any ideas?
    a loose spare tire?
  • swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    I had good tension, but lots of squealing with the OEM belts. had a couple idlers replaced, no change. since I had the same issues on my 90 ranger, I decided to get away from the Dayco-sourced OEM belts. a Gates has run smoothly with no noise now for 8000 miles, and I heartily recommend bringing in your own belt when you go back.

goodyear "gatorback" belts are also supposed to stay put and not squeal.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    check out your luggage rack; mine was loose at the left rear attachment point. drove me crazy.
    the sound of silence is great, especially since i got it fixed just before a 900 mile trip.
  • Anyone else notice that the heated seats suck on the current bodystyle Explorer? Mine is an '03 (Mountaineer, really) and the heated seats take forever to heat up, only get lukewarm, do NOT have a temperature control...it's one lukewarm temperature, take it or leave it, and they shut off when FORD thinks they should shut off...meantime by butt is still freezin'.

I realize it's no Lexus, but even my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle had an almost instant warm up, a temp control that could be set even hotter than almost anyone could tolerate for an extended period (but enjoy for those first few minutes on a bitter day). Why the suckie heated seats on my top-o-the-line $40,000 Mountaineer Premier? Yeah, I already know the answer.
  • akanglakangl Posts: 3,592
    Heated seats. My 1997 Explorer Limited has beautiful leather seats, but no heaters. Feels like sitting on cold plywood when the temps dip to -30 or so.

I had an 01 Jetta with heated seats, things only worked on the hottest setting, so it was either burn the butt or shut them off. Dealer always said that was normal.
    My wife's 02 Mountaineer's seat heaters are just fine with us. We have no complaints. BTW, the reason they shut off after 20 minutes or so, is so the load on the charging system is minimized, as people tend to forget about them, and they run forever. Personally, I'm not really fond of that, but I understand the concern.

On my Navigator, you have heated AND Air Conditioned seats, with temperature controls. They still turn off after 20 minutes, and you have to restart them.
  • Check with service and see if this is a software adjustable item. With Volvos, I believe a software adjustment can be made for a fee.
  • Vibrations while turning are caused by the power steering hose/exhaust vibrating under steering pump load on the engine. There is an update for the hoses and an exhaust bracket that makes those noises completely disappear and makes the steering smooth as silk.

Does anyone have the part number for the part for the above problem? 98 ford explorer or the cost for these parts?

thanks
  • It took forever but there is now a cast aluminum pan made for the A4LD, 4R55E and 5R55E that adds a couple extra quarts over the stock one. Currently the 2WD (no pickup tube on filter) is available. They didn't notice that the 4WD pan was deeper. Soon a deeper 4WD pan will be available. Better check first for clearance with a SOHC engine. Priced at $165. For more info go to

www.yourcovers.com
  • nadavinadavi Posts: 14
    my 93 explorer suddenly (after stoping for about 30 minutes) lost all the electric power - no light, horn, PDL .. nothing at all. obviously it does not start. jump starting does not help. the battery seams to be okay. what else can it be? is there a master fuse somewhere?
    Probably, but it sounds like either a bad ground somewhere, or still could be a shorted out battery. They may act alive, but really be dead. I still bet on the ground. Check the cables at all ends and connections. I'll bet one is loose somewhere, may be under the truck near the starter.
    there is, however, a single ground cable from battery to engine block. even the starter has a separate lead from the battery to the starter relay, and thence to the starter assembly.

it is possible that the remaining +12 wire to the power distributor block could have a squirrelly contact. but that is shielded from road spray, salt, sand, crud, and corruption to large extent by the power distributor block.

the ground wire or the battery are the most likely culprits. round 'em up and interrogate them. one tap of a small screwdriver placed between the connector and either the battery or the block, which will upset a little metal and break through any corrosion in several spots, is a useful first test. mind you, don't swing that sledge like you mean business when tapping the battery post, or you are going to need a shower real fast to get the acid off.
  • I have noted the vibrations jl36031 described in post #2285 in my 99 Explorer (V8). It is most noticed while turning the wheel quickly while moving slowly (or even stopped). I previously pointed this out to the Ford service advisor while the truck was in for another repair, and his response was that this was normal. I've never owned a vehicle that did this before, and it really drives me crazy when I'm backing my boat down the ramp. I've searched for a TSB but couldn't find one. Has anybody else come across this issue or know of a TSB addressing this?

After 4 years, I have no real complaints about the truck, except for the door rattle that several dealers have tried to fix. My rotors are about spent, seems like rotors should last more than 40,000 mi. Anybody have any suggestions for good replacement rotors?
    particularly when jeep owners seem to need 'em between 20 and 30 thousand, from the whines coming from that direction.

rotors are not lifetime, machine 'em each set of pads, parts any more. on most cars they are so darn thin you can read through 'em. be glad you got 40K out of 'em, and didn't warp 'em like potato chips first time you had to slam both feet on the brake pedal.

OEM explorer rotors seem plenty tough, but there should be heavy-duty ones from the usual sources (raybestos, wagner, and autolite/bendix.) site unseen, and unmiked, those are the only sources I'd trust.
    Sometimes, rotor wear is a function of the pads that are used. Long life pads tend to wear out the rotors faster than normal ones. I have had some pretty creative pads used on my cars when independent shops do the brakes. From now on, I use the dealer, or a shop I think knows what the car calls for. My rotors go on and on now.
    Anchor that high pressure hose somewhere with a plastic tie or something. Your vibration will stop.