Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cobra2cobra2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Explorer Sport with 3000 miles and it developed the "chirp " at about 2000 miles. I first noticed it on the interstate and it happened about every 20 seconds(when the air conditioner was on). I've had it back at the dealer twice and was told the last time that ALL Explorers did it and I would "just have to live with it". The service manager offered to replace the fan clutch assembly, but he said that after a thousand miles or so it would do it (chirp) again!
    I've talked to some of the other dealerships in my area and they seem to think the problem is NOT normal and CAN be fixed..... so I plan to let them take a look at it.
    I would be interested to know if any one that has the problem has been able to get it corrected ...
    I really like everything about the truck, but the Chirping is driving me up a wall!
  • anniep2anniep2 Posts: 1
    Hi Bob. Not having any 4x4 trouble, but I've got the recall on the back glass, and had the split in the plastic piece below the back glass. My big problem is that at 38K I've got this awful ticking sound when I turn the wheel. It's worse in a left turn, but getting that way when making a right turn. Anyone familiar with this??????? :confuse:
  • dodgekbaddodgekbad Posts: 56
    I have a '98 Explorer with 90k miles. I only saw one screw on the transfer case - which seems right - since there's only one screw in the manual. Anyway, how do I get the old fluid out?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Or, if you have the 4.0L, that engine is prone to oil consumption in later years of life. It can burn quite a bit without any smoke coming out, the catalytic converter will mask the smoke the engine does emit very nicely. You'll go through a quart of oil per tankful of gas easily before you'll ever get smoke from her.
  • you1you1 Posts: 2
    1997 Explorer (78k miles). I have a popping noise (and can feel it in the steering wheel), when I accelerate, brake or go over slight bumps. It does not occur when I am turning, accelerate hard or brake hard though. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side. I can not duplicate unless I am in motion. It seems to be more prevalent when the car temperature or outside temperature is warmer.

I recently replaced the rack and pinion, tie rods and lower steering shaft.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks
  • hondafan5hondafan5 Posts: 6
    Looks like I have the same problem. I bought a 2005 eddie bauer v6 explorer on Saturday - two days ago - and I had the same problem last night. After starging the explorer, I noticed the fuel gauge was below E (with a dealer provided full tank) and the service engine light came on. The info center said low oil pressure. I took the explorer in this morning and they gave me a rental. I'm concerned this may be an ongoing issue. With only 100 miles on the car - hopefully this will be a one time fix.

Nobody responded to Ottav's posting - anybody have any clues what this might be?

Thanks in advance!
  • scaliwagscaliwag Posts: 1
    I have 98 explorer AWD 5.0 liter automatic.

For some time now it has had this squeaking which sounds like
    is from the drivers front wheel/axel area. It does not do it when it is first
    started and driven... after about 5 minutes it does the squeaking noise only
    at an idle to 5/6 MPH then it goes away.. stop signs, drive thru's.. etc..

You can tell by the way that it squeaks that it is something rotating...

I have removed and replaced the short shaft from the transfer case to the front differential and that made no difference..

I talked to someone the other day that said that it was most likely the 4 wheel drive
    hub because the drive gears are made of nylon and they wear or break down
    around 80K... I just hit 80K and he did not know that??..

Is this something I can do with my standard tool set or does a mechanic have
    to do this... Also does this even sound plausable that this is the problem....

Could the transfer case cause this type of noise?? the fluid is right up to the level
    it should be and has no sign of leaks....

Thanks in advance
  • fordexp1fordexp1 Posts: 14
    I bought a 2005 Ford Eddie Bauer V6. I only have about 5000 miles on it. The best gas mileage I have gotten has been about 17 mpg on the highway, is something wrong?? In the city i am getting around 12-14 mpg, and highway 15-17. I have contacted a few dealerships and had it tested where I purchased the vehicle and they say this is in fords specs. The dealerships in Houston, wont test the damn thing unless i am willing to pay 84 dollars to do the computer diagnostics on it.... which is great customer service let me tell you. My father bought a expedition at the same time and his 5.4 L V8 is getting better mpg than my explorer, something has got to be screwed up.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone from the houston area knows of a Ford Dealership's service department that isnt around to screw you, names would be helpfull. Thanks.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I bought a 2005 Ford Eddie Bauer V6. I only have about 5000 miles on it. The best gas mileage I have gotten has been about 17 mpg on the highway, is something wrong?? In the city i am getting around 12-14 mpg, and highway 15-17."

My wife has a '02 XLT w/V6 and 2WD. She drives very conservatively. It currently has a little over 41,000 miles on it. The car averages no more than 14 city and will get 20mpg highway IF DRIVEN NO FASTER THAN 70MPH. If your getting 17 highway you may want to keep it under 70mph and see what happens. Also, I don't know why the dealer didn't tell you this, but I would wait at least another 5,000 miles before determining your real world mpg. I have a '05 Taurus (company provided vehicle) and it got REALLY BAD mileage when new, but stated getting better as I approached 12,000 miles. And I don't mean to sound sarcastic or disrespectful, but it clearly sounds like mileage is really important to you----Why did you buy an SUV with gas around $2.00 per gallon?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    that kind of mileage on the highway is not right. check your tire pressures and post back what they are. although my fuel mileage computer reads high, it's usally close within a mpg or so. try measuring the gas mileage yourself. maybe the gas station you are going to is ripping you off.
    "that kind of mileage on the highway is not right"

After 2 1/2 years of ownership, I can tell you it IS RIGHT if he is doing 80 or over on the open road.......
    I bought an SUV because I was tired of being on the ground, plus I tend to go off roading occasionally on the ranch, and the car was a quite too low for me, plus it didnt have the trunk space or space inside to do the things I wanted it, to do. Overall gas mileage isnt that important, so what if it costs a few hundred bucks over the year more to run than smaller vehicles..its worth it. This explorer is getting about the same gas mileage as my F250 FX4 is getting and I figured something had to be wrong with it!

If I had known this explorer was going to get this bad of mpg I would have just got the expedition or the V8 in the explorer, they would have probably been a little more fun to drive. I had a 91 Explorer before my last car, and I always got about 18-19 in the city and 21-23 on the highways with it, so I figured something was up with my new one.

Hind sight I should have got the V8 explorer, and would tell anyone that buys a new one to get the V8. Its gas mileage seems to be equal to that of the V6 with a little more pep. Thanks for the comments.
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM...ONE DAY IT IS WORKING AND THE NEXT IT STOPPED WORKING. Did you get a solution? ....thanks. If I find one, I will get back to you if you haven;t solved it yet...
  • vunnyuvunnyu Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 99 Mountaineer with exactly same problem. Did you receive any feedback or comment about? It is not a ball problem? Thanks
    my '02 with v8 and towing package gets 18-20 mpg while doing 75-80 with passengers and luggage. in fact, better than at 65. :confuse: it has 44k on it, and i have done this many times. maybe the v6 std axle is most efficient at 70.
  • airkristiairkristi Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1995 Ford Explorer. It has over 200,000 miles on it. The transmission was replaced in 2000 I think. My brother was driving my truck and was going up a hill and it lost power. The OD light has been flashing since i bought the truck in 2003. When i take off it wont shift up into 2nd unless i take my foot off the gas pedal and then put it back on. After that it shifts the other gears just fine. When it goes into the passing gear i have to take my foot off the gas again so it will shift.What could be the cause of this? I so dont have the money to replace the transmission. Can I fix it myself or have my brother do it since he does know more about cars than I do?
  • aplan1aplan1 Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Mountaineer AWD. The problem you describe currently exists on my vehicle. I have been driving with the noise for several months. According to my former Mercury dealership mechanic, the problem/noise will never escape you and will only worsen with time.

History of Repairs:

The dealership replaced my serpentine belt on 05-02-2002 and then again on 7-17-2003. After the CY 2003 repair, the noise returned within a few months. Depending upon the weather (wet and/or humid) the noise can be somewhat erratic. In cold weather, the noise would disappear after a few minutes provided I was not encountering wet/snow conditions. Apparently, it is a mechanical defect that is not covered under the extended warranty provision.

Factory Shop Manual:
    I was trying to locate a Ford Shop Manual to look into the matter.

Pervasive Ford Repair Issue on Several Model Years:
    Since the problem exists on the 2005 vehicles, either Ford is unaware of the problem or is ignoring their responsibility to repair the problem. Perhaps, the dealerships are not reporting the problem to the factory and/or the repair amount is immaterial for Ford to take any action on behalf of its customers.
    "Hind sight I should have got the V8 explorer, and would tell anyone that buys a new one to get the V8. Its gas mileage seems to be equal to that of the V6 with a little more pep"

Yes, it has been talked about on this board that the V8 only gets about 2 mpg less highway, than the V6. Around town it seems to get about 1 mpg less. I can't explain how one poster is getting a claimed 20mpg at 80mph w/ the V8. This is against everything I know and all the posts here.........

As far as the V6 vs. the V8, the V6 seems to have plenty of torque for around town. IT IS pretty noisy. I think the main difference is on the highway. If you "punch" the V6 on the highway...there isn't a whole left as far as power is concerned.
  • shera1shera1 Posts: 2
    I too, have a 98 Explorer XLT and love it! I bought it used with 45K on it. I now have 111K and it runs exactly the same. I am a preventative maintenance person but sadly, I have not tuned it up yet. The main reason for this is I have no idea how to get to the spark plug on the passenger side up against the cooling system. Any suggestions?
  • You did not say what engine you have. I have the 5.0L V8 in my 2000 XLT. I reach the spark plugs by jacking the front of the vehicle up, supporting in on stands, then taking the front wheels off. Then pull the splash shields loose from inside the fender. I use a claw hammer to carefully pull those plastic retainers out, being careful not to break them. Then you can reach the plugs easily through the inner fender well opening by using a swivel spark plug socket and an extension. The back one on the passenger side is tight near the Air Condition Evaporator Box, but you can still reach it by slippng a straight spark plug socket on it first, then hooking the 3/8' rachet onto the spark plug socket, then turning it about a 1/2 turn to loosen it, then removing the ratchet from the socket, then turning the socket by hand until the plug is loose, then remove the plug. It is a snug fit, but there IS enough room. Be sure to gap the plug at the factory spec, the V8 calls for .054". I tried gapping them closer for a while to make my spark plug wires last longer, but the gas mileage seems to go down about 1 or 2 mpg, so it is better to have the correct gap and save the gas, it will pay for the wires over 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Be sure that you ALWAYS put a little SILICONE DIELECTRIC GREASE on the spark plug threads when installing the plugs, tighten firmly, but not too tight, then put more Silicone Dielectric Grease on the exterior of the spark plug insulator and squirt more inside the spark plug boot, then push it firmly on the plug, twisting the boot to be sure it is seated all the way on the plug. You can get a 3 or 4 oz tube of the SDG for about 4 or 5 bucks. Good stuff to keep in your tool box.
    Good Luck,
    E.D.
  • My new (400 miles) Explorer, to me has a funny shifting problem. When I slow down below 20 mph and then accelerate, there is a short delay, then the engine revs up and then the tranny kicks in with a jerk. Is this normal? Me dealer seems to think so.
    Tell him to check the transmisson solenoid. They are a widespread problem!
  • shera1shera1 Posts: 2
    I have a V6 4.0 SOHC. Sounds like good advice. Apparently, I still have the factory installed plugs in. After 111K miles, I am very impressed that they are in such great shape. MotorCraft platinum. Anyway, I will try your suggestion and see if it works. Thanks.
    check out the new explorer, personally i dont like it? front end loooks like crap.">link title

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102311
    It look like they are trying to "round out the vehicle". You know, if Ford came up with some better designs, people would buy their cars. Or maybe I am wrong, they took a 30 year old design (the Mustang) and brought it back...and the Mustang is the only thing selling in their entire line. GO FIGURE!!! :confuse:
    all i can tell you is that i am a very consistent about keeping track of gas mileage in my vehicles. maybe you think i'm ocd, but i have been like this since i grew up with the early '70's gas crisis.
    one thing that i have figured out is that tire pressures are very important. it can do 2 things for you, get you better mileage and make the tires last longer.
    just to be clear, i don't always get 20 mpg's on a trip, but i have done it several times trying to maintain 80 mph. usually i am running the rear a/c too. i do know that you can get about an extra mpg by setting the front tires to a pressure slightly over the number listed on your door sticker.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    "You know, if Ford came up with some better designs, people would buy their cars."

C'mon, Chuck - the Explorer has been the best selling SUV since the day it came out.... What you see in the 2006 refresh is the deletion of the trouble prone liftgate with the composite/glass door combination, unfortunately, and the introduction of the new front end look for Ford, like it or not, of the horizontal bars in the grille. I'm not crazy about the look either - but it'll grow on me probably. The rest of the truck looks the same, so I know it'll have the same basic characteristics that make it so universally appealing to the masses.

I think you're wrong, but not altogether - there are some Ford designs that I can't abide and would not buy -

The 96 Taurus
    The Contour
    The 98 Town Car
    The 94 Tempo
    geez... you and me in the foxhole again. i still think we are winning. ;)
  • I have suggested the solenoid. They keep telling me that the shifting is normal. When they do their check ride, they say, "Can not duplicate" on the work order. I did talk with a fellow 05 Explorer owner who said he had the same problem and they changed a sensor that went to the a servo on the tranny the kept the fluid moving. I'm new at these electronically control trannys. So I don't know if there is ever such a sensor or not. Thanks in advance for any additional replies.
    The 96 Taurus
    The Contour
    The 98 Town Car
    The 94 Tempo

I'll agree on all except the Contour. I owned 3 of them. That 2.5 Duratec-WOW! what a motor! It would rev like crazy all day long. And the handling was very much of a "European flavor". Thank the Ford marketing department for the lack of volume on that car. Coupled with pricing it with in $1,500.00 of the Taurus..... :cry: