Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    I would first of all check the suspension. There are some makers of shocks that really give a harsh ride. KYB-is one that is really too tight for American tastes. Also, check the tire pressure. The Michelin tires, unless they are severely over inflated, should not give the ride you describe. I assume you just purchased the vehicle, did you run a carfax and put it on a rack for inspection?
  • sonyadeesonyadee Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 explorer xlt it has cassette and cd player (factory). I can put a cd in and it will play if the motor hasn't been running. If i want to play another cd while driving, it will just start this clicking sound and then spit the cd back out. It is the sohc engine 6 cylinder. I usually have to change the cd at night and wait til the morning to listen. Please give advice and/or solution.
  • I have a 97 ford expl. eddie baurer I was hearing a loud humming sound while driving and if I slow down the noise will slow down but once I step on the gas then it will stoop until it start back up again. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was the transfer case and it had to be replaced along with ball joints and other things but the transfer case will be $2800 and to get the rest of the work done will be almost $6000 to get the car back running right. Do you think it is work fixing
  • ssfcussfcu Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Ford Explorer that once it hits 2400+ RPM I get that diesel sound or marble sound for about 400 RPM and disapers once the transmission shifts. Was that the same with your 83 F-150?
  • bmoyers1bmoyers1 Posts: 3
    Chuck1- Actually I bought this Explorer brand new, but I rarely drive it (my wife puts on most of the miles) but when I do drive it for any length of time, I'm always swearing I'm gonna sell the lumbering beast. I keep wondering if somebody at the factory slipped in rear springs that were supposed to be for the F350 line, or similiar. I can't visually detect any problems, but I'm no expert. I was primarily writing to see if this is a problem others have had, and if anyone had any experience with after-market suspension fixes that improved the ride.

Thanks for your input... bmoyers1
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    Lately my friend has been having problems with here remotes to her car. Sometimes when she goes to press one of the buttons, it doesn't work and takes several presses until the car will finally respond. It used to happen occasionally but now it happens more frequently, like at least once a day. At first she thought that that it may be the battery in that particular remote so she switched to the other remote which brought the same results. Is it possible that both of the remote batteries are bad or is something wrong with the car. It's an 03 Explorer so the car isn't really that old. I would hope that the remote batteries would last more than about 18 months.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I am about to buy an 03 XLT sport V-6 with 33K miles that was put in service in Nov 2002. Where can I get the extended warranty, how much does it cost, how many miles do they cover, and what do they cover. My concern is the rear axle.

Thanks,
    Joe
    You can purchase anytime just before your 36,000 miles runs out. I purchased mine at www.fordwarrantys.com
    I purchased the "BaseCare" which is really a "powertrain warranty" and it covers other things as well. This would include the poorly designed rear end. I bought On 12/30/04 for $755.00. It covers me until 75,000 miles or 60 months. There are several plans to choose from!
    Hope this helps!
  • Hi All,
    I have an 02 Mercury Mountaineer and the RSS has stop working. I can turn it on in all the gear but R then it turns off. any ideals?
    Thanks
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    Chuck1, thanks for the warranty info. I ended up buying the 2003 XLT Sport 4x4 V-6. It has 33K miles, and on the 250 mile trip back home, doing 70-75mph, it got 20.8 mpg. For its size, it is not bad. My wife's 2001 RX300 2WD gets about 24.

I could not hear anything unusual from the rear axle. Do you, Explorer owners, expect the rear end whine show up later? or if does not have it by now, it won't have it later?

Does anyone know how to drain the transmission fluid? There is a hex plug in the center of the pan. Our Camry and RX300 both have idetntical plugs where I have drained the fluid before.

The Ford service advisor told me that the plug is used to fill the transmisson!!! Fill plug at the bottom of the pan?! I hate it when they do not provide dipsticks, and call the trany maintenance free and sealed. Any time you have gears, fluid, and heat, you must be able to change the filter and fluid.

With all the negative comments about the new body style Explorer, I decided to buy one. A lot people complained about Dodge Caravan too. Our 97 with 153K miles was one of the best vehicles.
  • There is a dipstick but it is hidden, I beleive on the right (passenger) side of the tranny... I'll have to check, anyone else know?

They call it "sealed for life" (100 or 150K if I remember) but then again they'll recommend you flush it way before then I'm sure...
  • I have a 01 Explorer Sport and it only has about 22k miles on it. The other day i was driving in 4x4 high becuase of the snow. I stopped at a store and turned it off to make parking easier. When i left and tried to turn it back on I could hear the relay swicth but my indicator light on the dash dosent come on and i can tell it isnt in 4x4 high. dosent work in 4x4 low either. Someone Please give me some advice on what exactly im dealing with, if i need to take it to the dealer or what. Any comment appreciated.

Robert.wiley@ellsworth.af.mil
  • coltpeytcoltpeyt Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply. My lawsuit (lemon law) against Ford is continuing, and hopefully we will come to resolution ASAP. The transmission continues to slip and jerk, and the front-end pulls harder then ever to the left upon acceleration.

Can you imagine if this case makes it to trial, and they put me on the stand to testify that Ford's Service Manager said there was nothing to be done for the front drive tires pulling - other then I needed to hold on tight to the steering wheel... Now that's real concern for Passenger safety FORD!

Anything you might have regarding the Explorer service letters would be appreciated.

Regards,
  • kxweil38kxweil38 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where I can find a diagram for a 2004 V-8 engine on a Mountaineer?
    My dealer told me to change the fluid at 30K. I reluctantly agreed to do so. It did shift better afterwards. I am no fan of dealers, however, with this transmission and the ford spec fluid, I suggest you do change the fluid at around 30K and let the dealer perform the service.
  • colin3colin3 Posts: 1
    i'd planned on making a trip to see family this weekend for easter - but today the overdrive light kept blinking - denoting a problem with the transmission - - any idea what the problem could be? could it just be a transmission fluid problem? or am i going to have to cancel my trip?

when i accelerate - at around 25 mph - it drops a gear - and the rpms shoot up - then immediately - goes drops back down and shifts back up

i'd appreciate any and all advice
    thank you
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I think I may have a solution for you. I live in Michigan, and well, the roads here are CRAP! My wife drives a 2000 Explorer Limited as well, and she likes it very much, however I agree with you that the ride in them is rather rough. So, about a year ago I ordered some Edelbrock shocks from an online store, and it rides SO much better now. The little road imperfections that used to unsettle the beast, now get soaked up. Note however, that I only replaced the front shocks, the back shocks have the air assist, so I left them alone. Big potholes still cause a ruckus, but at least that is more rare.

They were relatively easy to change, and if you decide to do them yourself, be sure to spray penetrating oil generously on all 3 bolts a day or two before you tackle the job. Should come apart pretty easy.

Another suggestion for improving the ride, is to go to adjustable swaybar end links. Haven't done this myself, because the ones I ordered were the wrong size. Haven't had a chance to follow up and try again.

Old tires get harder as they age, so this in conjunction with over-inflation, can make for a pretty bad ride as well.

The best of luck to you!
    You didn't say what year your Explorer is. If it's an '02 on up-you could have the solenoid problem reported here by many. At any rate, your transmission sounds like it's in a "limp mode" and needs attention. I would have the Explorer looked at, and rent a car for your trip.
  • cdfexpcdfexp Posts: 3
    Had truck for almost 2 yrs now, tried different gas, just changes the tint of the smell. Dealer say only use regular. I have notice with this promblem, it seems to go away in the winter, well at least it doesn't show its nasty smell as much. so the weather is starting to break, and what do you know the 2 nices day there was the smell. Windows open, or closed get the smell, YES IT IS stronger windows open. I can cause the smell purposely sometimes by hard acceleration, or long acceleration. Help the smell at times makes me dizzy!

dealer changed one of the cats not both after about 5 or so visits
  • cdfexpcdfexp Posts: 3
    The check engine light has done this twice.
    COME ON AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK AND BY THE TIME I AM GOING TO STOP BY THE SHOP IT GOES OFF!!

I THOUGHT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO STAY ON UNTIL RESET!

THIS LAS TIME I DID GET BY AUTO ZONE IN TIME FOR THEM TO PUT THE COMPUTER ON IT AND GIVE ME A CODE, THE CODE SAID LARGE EXHAUST LEAK!! BUT NOW THE LIGHT IS OFF DEALER SAYS NOTHING CAN DO!