Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks very much for this. We did pull out the fuse and it stopped the problem, but it also for some reason stopped the speedo working!! So we put it back as we didn't know what speed we were doing. I will call Ford UK and find out if there are any dealers who have the equipment for testing the ABS. I have been quoted £100 a sensor for the two front sensors, so we will probably do these and see if this solves the problem. I will let you know what they find out, and thank you again.

Jane
  • biomanbioman Posts: 171
    If you have the V6 SOHC engine that has less than 70K, Ford should replace the timing chain tensioner(s). I believe the tensioners were made of plastic or had plastic components that wore out prematurely. So, Ford decided to extend the warranty on the engines involved to 7 years 70K. There were catastrophic engine failures that required having the engines replaced. If this is the problem with your truck get it dealt with ASAP. With this problem the rattle is most obvious when you start a cold engine. I believe the TSB is number 0012.
  • bldaz2005bldaz2005 Posts: 9
    Fortunately i have more money than time, i just bought an Expy, see ya. have a nice life. :shades:
  • JUST FOUNT SOURCE OF WIND NOISE ON 05 EB EXP.-- IT'S THE CROSS BARS (2). TRIED MOVING BOTH ALL THE WAY TO THE REAR, ALL THE WAY TO THE FRONT, TAKING ONE OFF. ONLY WAY TO GET RID OF NOISE (FROM 35-55) IS TO TILT MOON ROOF OR REMOVE BOTH BARS.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??? DEARLERSHIP NO HELP.

THANKS, RONNY
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS???

I suggest turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
  • kayakingkayaking Posts: 2
    the same happened to my 99 ford explorer. can you tell me what the problem was?
    was it a ford recall?
  • kayakingkayaking Posts: 2
    smoke pours out of the steering wheel occasionally.
  • exploded99exploded99 Posts: 67
    I came across a message at another site where the person had ABS engaging when turning slightly, and new front sensors cured it. So that would be a good thing to try first.

When spinning the front wheel at a constant speed the sensor should put out an ac voltage of between 100 and 3500 microvolts, and the same for the sensor on the rear.
    I think, but am not 100% sure that that can be measured at the sensor itself when disconnected (unplugged).

The fuse puzzles me a little - did you pull the 50 amp fuse under the bonnet? (Or is that the trunk to Brits, I can't remember!). That one should disable ABS only. The small one in the interior might affect the speedo. Not a big deal if you are going to fix it.

Good luck!
  • exploded99exploded99 Posts: 67
    It should be smoke from the steering column, behind the wheel.

The 99's had a recall for a bad multifunction switch. Wipers would operate at odd times. The switches were replaced under the recall, but I think Ford did some kind of quick fix, as I have seen many posts about the replacement switches smoking. Mine did the same (one of the MANY reasons I am exploded99).

Time for a new switch. I think they are available aftermarket - try rockauto.com and see if you find one there.
  • sharp1sharp1 Posts: 2
    I had the same thing this week. Bought a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT. Next day the fuel gauge went to empty(had a full tank) and the service engine light went on. Dealership advised today is a known problem the fuel sending unit is defective.. not a happy camper. They have to order the part and drop my fuel tank to replace the unit. Ford knows these are defective. Part is on back order. I own three Fords and this is not good business.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I've said some things on this thread that have offended people, and I regret the results. For that, I apologize.

At the heart of my "cryptic" messages was a sincere attempt to help fellow Ford enthusiasts. As a retired Ford Engineer, I'm in a position to do that, but it's difficult to do so here.

Peace?
  • Hello!

Thanks for your reply! The truck has 112,000 miles and yes the rattle is most pronounced on start-up. I'll take it straight to the dealer. Thank you, bioman!
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    Get ready for a bumpy ride! We have a 2003 XLT with 19k miles and have the exact same problem. It went like this.
    March: Gas gauge says empty even with full tank--we take in Explorer and are told to switch gas stations due to sulfur content (sure).
    April: Same problem, big surprise--we take in Explorer and are told they will order gauge cluster and sending unit
    May: Parts finally arrive--we get a call that the gauge cluster that they installed was in kilometers instead of miles--they are ordering new part.
    Today: Ford calls and says they have 2nd gauge cluster in and are ready to install.

We've had similar problems with blinkers, cruise control, and rear driverside power window--last Ford we'll buy for sure (and it's costing them a lot, we've recently talked many relatives/friends out of Ford).

PS This was purchased brand new and has been immaculately maintained.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I've never noticed such a noise on mine - any of 'em....
  • sharp1sharp1 Posts: 2
    Thanks, we will see how many times they replace this one. I still like the truck but damn if you know the part is defective replace it before you sell it.
  • They are not too bad price wise. I just bought a multifunction switch for the 1997 XLT from the Ford Dealer and it was just over $60. I'm sure it was the upgraded one. The suprizing part is how easy it is to put on, you don't even have to pull the steering wheel off, like in the old daze. A few small screws, and the cover around the column comes right off. The knob for the tilt steering just unscrews to get it out of the way. Then just take out two screws on the multifunction switch, then unplug the wire harness connectors, and it's off, all in a matter of a few minutes. Installation is the reverse. I replaced mine because sometimes the headlights would not turn on, and I would have to pull or push the stalk to get them to come on. Since I didn't want to get stuck out of town at night with no headlights, I replaced it before it crapped out.
  • I've heard of this Roof Rack noise before on some other forums. I can't remember what the solution was, but it seems that if most of them don't do it, then there must be something specific causing the problem, maybe it is warped a little in such a way that it catches the wind. Is it possble to bend it slightly to see if that makes a difference?
    Other than that, buy a 6 foot step ladder and tie it down to the roof rack and just leave it there, that should fix the problem.
  • No apology needed, I like the mystery of a cryptic message. It seems that some people don't want to get into the "nuts and bolts" of a problem, they just want it fixed, or else move on to something else. That's ok if you can afford it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    lat... don't apologize if you are trying to help even if it not recognized or appreciated by someone. if you have something you want to post, do it, even if it goes over most other's heads. many of us love our fords(all of them) although we do recognize there can be problems with them at times, and nobody likes to have problems. i noticed you rode ant14 pretty hard, maybe now i know why. personally, i appreciate his posts a lot. don't worry about the trolls, i would really enjoy your perspective, and i think many others would too.
  • kye2kye2 Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a 1998 explorer that recently had the auto and converter replaced at a cost of $AU3500 then had in back one day to find out the CRANK SHAFT SNAPPED has anyone out there heard of this happening? I've only owned the explorer for 1.5 years and are not very happy with this especially being fourth generation ford people and was thinking of trading the exp for a new teritory! Ford motor company have not been helful at all. So now i require a new engine and are looking at 5000+ NOT HAPPY....