Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I was driving down the street when my Ford Explorer just died, and now it won't start. It doesn't seem to be getting any gas, although the tank is 3/4 full. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start. I don't have a lot of money. So I would like to avoid taking it somewhere, if it is something that I can fix myself.. Thanks for your time and knowledge..zoomee2
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Course its in the tank wich means you need a lift.

When you first turn the key you might hear a 5 sec buzz from the back if the fuel pump is working.....

Mark.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Problem could be a lot of things at this point, you need the three basics for the engine to run.......a fuel mixture, compression, and a spark.....all timed and working together at the right time.

Is this a carb, or fuel injected engine? And what makes you think that not getting gas is the problem, is there some other history of problems that you'd like to share? You could just as well have a bad ignition switch, battery, coil, timing chain, etc.
  • They say on that website that it only goes back to 1996 on the online manual. Is there anywhere else that I might be able to go?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    You might find a link in the Online Repair Manuals guide. I can get access to the Auto Reference one through my local public library for example.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi, can someone tell me about code 1845, anti theft key lock. I just read this code from my FORD EXPLORER 2000.
    What can I do with this?
  • 2004 Explorer - The door locks and the side view mirrors won't work and the door ajar light for this door all happened at once. Anyone know what it could be? Already checked fuses couldn't find any that were bad.
  • Sorry it has to be code 1843 not 1845. Does anyone know about this code?
    Do you know how to read electrical schematics?
  • I know someone who does. He took the door apart and couldn't find any shorts. He's not sure what the problem is.
    You have mail (cgirl1@carspace.com)

Check your carspace mailbox (mailbox link is upper right corner 'mailbox'). I've sent you some info which should help.
  • Sorry,

I checked it and there is nothing there.
    Really, hmmmm, it shows as sent ...let me resend in 3 separate notes...maybe they're too big.

Edit...okay, have resent. Please check again. If you don't have, try sending yourself a note from your own other personal address to make sure your carspace mail is working correctly. Or else, send a note to me with a different email to send to, whatever is easiest.
  • ok - got them now. Thanks I'll let him look at it and hopefully it will help.

Again,
    Thanks alot
    Cindy
  • FORD denies there is a problem, with the 2002 Ford Explorer and all the faulty engineering. The way Ford engineered the steering column so that a 20.00 piece of cast metal, will cost you 1600.00 to replace it, and Fords Policy of selling an extended warranty that covers the steering column but not this one piece. I am angry that I have a 5-year old. 02 Ford Explorer, that I cannot get a steering column for, and fact that if Ford had not used defective parts in the steering column, I would not have to!!! Paul. Reply

Hi Paul, my name is Rosemary, We had a 2002 Ford Explorer. I put it in gear and the shift lever bar broke out of the steering column. My husband was told by our local ford parts dealer. The steering column (Part number 4L2Z-3C529-DA) for the 02 Ford Explorers, is not available. The steering column has been on back order for over 5-1/2 months. Our Son went on the Internet and bought a brand new ford factory, steering column that will fit the 2002 Ford Explorer and Ford Mountaineer - with this (Part number 5L2Z-3C529-A). Paul, you still looking for a steering column? if so - have ford order this (Part number 5L2Z-3C529-A). it will fit, Good Luck Rosemary.
    Stavros IT WILL FIT, GOOD LUCK, Paul
  • I have this same problem. 20O2 Explorer, XLT, V8. Gear shifter broke off in hand, luckily in driveway, August 22nd, needs new column assembly, part no: 4L2Z-3C529-DA. Part is on back-order, as you know, all part orders are supposed to be fulfilled by 11/12. I asked about part no: 5L2Z-3C529-A and they were not sure it would work so they are emailing Ford to get the details.
  • ok, he said that he thinks it is a chip going out in the computer, does that sound right to you? And is it as bad as it sounds?
    ahhh....no

The side mirror circuit (which is hot all the time), has nothing to do with the computer. Running from the mirror switch up to the battery using the schematics, there is a 5amp fuse F2.16, then a 60 amp fuse on p13-9 F1.29, then the battery.

If the fuses 'appear' okay, then get out a digital multi-meter and start measuring the voltage from the battery out toward the switch to see where you loose the voltage.

btw, you have turned the mirror switch to the left to select the left mirror....correct? and then to the right to select the right mirror.
  • I have a 2004 4X4 Explorer XLT with 36,000 miles. I'm starting to hear a kind of high pitched, whining noise coming from the rear of vehicle. Noise is noticeable from about 45 MPH and up. When I let off accelerator pedal, the noise stops and then starts again when I push accelerator pedal down to resume speed. My question is this - does this scenario sound like a wheel bearing problem? axle carrier problem, or differential problem? And while I've got you attention, there is a slight popping, dragging in the front wheels (can feel it in steering wheel also) occasionally when turning at real slow speeds such as when parking. Vehicle is not in 4X4 mode when this happens. Any ideas? Thanks,
  • At 36,000 miles you are at the end of the factory warrenty. Did you get an extended warrenty? The noise you describe sounds like it could be in the rear axle, it comes from slight misalignment of the gears usually due to loose bearings. With out knowing much about it, your only recourse is to have an expert check it. They can remove the cover and check the bearings, gears and clearances. It will cost you labor and fluid cost for the inspection, plus any additional costs for repairs.
    The front end will also need an inspection by an expert, as the popping and dragging could come from several sources. You can check the most obvious parts by checking to see if the brakes are dragging or if any front end parts are loose.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
  • The symptoms you describe could also be a transfer case problem.
  • This problem could be an intermittent fuel pump relay. I would first pull the relay and check the the contacts on the relay and socket to see if they look good and fit snugly. Check all the fuel pump wiring and fuse to be sure all connections are tight and wiring looks good. If everything looks ok, replace the fuel pump relay with a new one and see if the problem goes away.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. ISF
  • Hi efly00, I'm paul7281 I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, XLT, V6. It's just luck that Rosemary, a happy 02 ford explorer owner, was reading some of my comments in a Open Letter to Ford Motor Company, I was a little angry! She gave me this Part number (5L2Z-3C529-A) I went to our local parts dealer and ordered the steering column for $550.00 and I removed the old steering column and installed the new steering column about 3-1/2 hours. IT FIT - IT DOES WORK I'm driving my ford explorer. Go back and order the steering column with this Part number (5L2Z-3C529-A) BEFOR FORD PUTS IT ON BACK-ORDER...............Paul
  • Hi paul7281, I'm bn3757. We, too have a Ford Explorer XLT and have now experienced the same problem with the shifter not once but TWICE. Last February it broke off - had no luck with the extended warranty or dealership, so eventually fixed it to the tune of $900. Happened again yesterday evening and again Ford will do nothing about it, and this time parts are on back order (can't even get Part #5L2Z-3C529-A. I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation (did so last year as well) - I would encourage anyone else who has this problem to file formal complaints so maybe Ford will do something about it before somebody gets hurt. In the meantime, we are stuck without a car until we can find the part. Thx! Beth
  • Hi bn3757, paul7281, Was the steering column you had replaced used? I called every auto wrecker and used parts house in California and parts Nevada, from San Francisco to Reno and north to Redding and down to Bakersfield. Every 02 ford explorer steering column, I found had the same problem with the gear shift lever broken. Only two I saw that looked to be good. I took a toothbrush with a little solvent and a crack was visible in the cast part that holds the gear shift lever bar - No Good!!! After reading your posted message I went to my local parts dealer and asked about the steering column (part number 5L2Z-3C529-A) that he had ordered for me. He called Ford Parts where he got the part, and asked about ordering this (part number 5L2Z-3C529-A) again, the Ford Parts Dealer told him this (part number 5L2Z-3C529-A) is an upgrade for the old (part number 4L2Z-3C529-DA) and will not be available until some time in November 2007. He told the Ford parts man I just got one here from Ford. All the Ford parts man said was, sorry it's not available and we don't have a price for that part. The second Ford Parts Dealer he called, told him (part number 5L2Z-3C529-A) is on back order?. What is Ford doing? this part was available I have the (5L2Z-3C529-A- STEERING COLUMN) in my 02 ford explorer Know Ford says it's not available?. I was told by a local Ford Dealer this will be the third or forth change due to this problem with the gear shift lever. BUT NO RECALL! Sorry bn3757 it looks like this will not be much Help........Paul
  • hey did you ever get this answered? i just started having the same issue with my 04. the ABS light is on and the 4x4 high is flashing... i am taking it in tomorrow if i can but i am hoping it is something simple. write me back if you have an answer..

thanks.
  • bn3757bn3757 Posts: 6
    Hey Paul - bn3757 here. The steering column replaced last year was new - part #4L2Z-3C529-DA. Obviously a faulty part, but local dealer will not stand behind it as it was repaired over a year ago (Feb '06). I've checked online too w/ the same story - part 5L2Z-3C529-A is on backorder until November. Calls to Ford not helpful - they did say they would try to expedite, but I'm not holding my breath. We have a rental car for now - very frustrating. I'm gathering info and will report to NHTSA. Found 16 reported cases on their website -but so far no signs of a formal investigation. I plan to keep looking - would like to see Ford do something about this before someone gets hurt! Thanks for your response... Beth
  • My gear shift just broke off tonight when trying to put the car in park. Is there a way to use a screw driver to shift the gears. The car is in a covered garage and it is going to be a nightmare trying to get out and tow. Can't get the keys out since it is not in park. This explorer is awful. Numerous problems with it including a cracked panel just below the back window which is another common problem with the model and Ford will not fix. Sounds like I am in for a nightmare with this latest problem. From what I am reading there are no parts until November. Ford should pay for a rental for the time without the car then.
  • bn3757bn3757 Posts: 6
    Wish I could give you better news, but I've checked all over the country looking for the part - no luck. We've been told repeatedly that it is on back order until November. I did see one post where someone had the part manufactured at a machine shop - I have no idea whether or not it worked. In the meantime, we are stuck with a rental, and Ford refuses to reimburse us for that expense either. Please, please file a complaint with the NHTSA! If I find out anything encouraging, I'll post it on this site. Good luck!
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I doubt that filing a complaint with NHTSA is going to accomplish anything as it's really a stretch to say that this is a safety issue. On the other hand I thought that there was some kind of law that vehicle manufacturers have to make replacement parts available for 10 years...I don't know the specifics of the law if in fact it does exist. No doubt Ford would argue that they are going to provide the parts, but they are currently out of stock because a supplier gave them a bad batch and this has created an unusually high demand, and they have no other obligation to you as the truck is out of warranty. Have you tried used part dealers and junkyards? There were a lot of Ford vehicles built that use this same part...would not be surprised if you find what you are looking for in a wreck. If you are nice to the parts person at your local dealership, you should be able to find out what other models and years used the identical part.