Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 05 Mountaineer and the message center is difficult to read if not impossible sometime. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what was the fix.
  • I have a 1998 Ford Explorer that has recently developed a peculiar problem with water leakage. Just inside the rear hatch, the edge of the upholstery is completely soaked; however, it is not readily apparent where this water is coming from. The vehicle is starting to get pretty musty - has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLS 2wd with 6,000 miles. I was driving 15 mph and went to stop and the front end had a clunk and the brake pedal shook. The dealer said the abs kicked in. It didn't and now the brake pedal goes way down with pressure. They mentioned the possibilty of the differential but parts would not be available for 6 weeks. They decided to tell me that nothing is wrong although one mechanic felt the clunk. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it safe to drive?
  • Sounds like it could be a fuel pump problem. To check, recreate the problem by driving the vehicle, attach a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure when cranking.

However, putting a new fuel filter in it is a good idea. Idle air control valves are often the cause of starting problems, so you can remove yours and clean it and see if that improves the situation. But your symptoms seem more like a fuel pump issue.
  • I think 9 mpg is too low for that engine. Somethings up. Let us know what you find out.

The engine may be small, but they compensate with 5 speed autos and gearing. 5 speed autos hardly existed 20 years ago.

Just for fun, stop the vehicle on a downhill, shift it into neutral and make sure it coasts normally - nothing drags or holds it back.
  • There are numerous messages on this site and others about transmission shift problems.. Just read thru some of the older posts. Sometimes they replace solenoid packs, sometimes they do other things.

If you have been in three times with out getting it fixed, I would suggest taking your problem to the service manager, Ask him to take over getting the problem resolved. Firm but nice -

And do some research on the net about lemon laws in your state, there are some things you need to do to document your case if it comes to that.
  • Pretty involved. The dashboard has to come out. Subscribe to alldatadiy.com or get a very good manual.

Also, research heater blend door problems on explorers - repair or reinforce the blend door while you have the dash apart. If it breaks later, you have another repair that is quite difficult, but easy while the dash is out.
  • If you open the hatch, across the top of the body is a metal lip that the rubber seal slips onto. Pull the seal off if you can, examine the metal ridge for rust on both sides of the lip - water runs down into this area, then down the sides of the door. Any rust can be an entry point, unless it is very light.

Check the seal carefully for cracks - it is not hard to replace.
  • I am having the same problem, except I think it may be coming in the back drivers side window. I can actually see water come in when I get it washed.
  • Just took my explorer in had the front end redone. New ball joints, new bearings, front and rear shocks replaced, 122k miles on the truck.

Got on the highway last night and when I got between 65 and 75 mph, experienced an incredible bouncing vibration coming from through the steering wheel, felt like the front right was bouncing. Any ideas what this could be?
  • might want to check your engine mounts. just a thought, i had an older explorer and they went out and caused something similar to what you are describing.

another thing I would recheck all the work that was done, maybe something was done correctly or was left loose.

could be numerous things, alignment or balancing could be way off. check it all.
  • kt1kt1 Posts: 1
    Did the changing of the two switches (or just one) fix the issue? I have the same issue with my 1998. PLEASE HELP !!!! :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    You may want to get your transmission looked at. The flashing OD light is not a good sign.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    If you have another dealership in town, take it to them. It sounds liek something is going on in the front end. Good thing is you are covered up to 36k miles so it is covered by warranty.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    how much are you guys paying for 60k service in your area? over here in northern ca, they go from $580 to $900!!!! and I looked at the list, it's all inspections and changing fluid!!!!!!! :sick:
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what we think your 60k service should cost in your zip code.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dakduldakdul Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 ford explorer and having trouble with the radio display. radio works but have to guess on what station is playing due to the display lights not working. is this a easy fix?? short of getting a new radio??i also have a heater problem... heater is so hot and cant adjust it! have to keep heater on in ams to keep window defogged to see!!! are these related?? thanks to anyone with any sugestions! :cry:
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    I did and the quotes edmunds suggested were in the mid $300s, and I called all dealerships within 50 miles from here and NONE would do it for $300s. Therefore, I have no idea how and where edmunds got their data from.
  • Hi,
    I just read your message from Sept. 27. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer experiencing the same problems. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours? Thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,004
    Maybe all those dealer's 60k service include more stuff than required by the manufacturer.

Edmunds looks at the manufacturer recommended service and then looks at the rate books to see what the cost should be. The fine print says:

"*This Total Estimated Cost includes the preventive maintenance items recommended by Ford. The facility that services your vehicle may perform different, greater, or fewer procedures that can affect the cost you incur."

YMMV (and obviously does - maybe you can find an independent mechanic and save some bucks?).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.