Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    You should really be talking with an attorney, since the amount of money in question is substantial and you have got to know that Ford has its attorneys working on 1,000's of these every year!
  • hi all, I purchased a 94 ford exp. in 1996 with 28k on it. since then I've put in two trannies, a fuel pump, two ignitions coils, two different ABS boards, a rear windshield wiper motor, and an all new brake system (the original had rust damage.) most was covered by an extended warranty but it seems excessive to me, my previous cars were a toyo and vw with only a starter and clutch replaced collectively in over 200k miles. the point is: I can relate to all the woes mentioned here. at 85k I need to decide soon if I should buy a replacement or simply stick with my ford in hopes that I don't have a 3000$ engine problem. Question: what is your most reliable vehicle that you wouldn't hesitate to buy again?
  • jdu25jdu25 Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm currently looking at buying a 98 explorer XLT with the V8. I've been reading the troubles people have been having with the V6/SOHC. I was just wondering if anyone has any input on the V8 engine, are people finding the same problems with all the ford explorer engines?
    The 5.0 V8 is a better performing engine than the SOHC V6, with approx the same HP. I think it is a version of the V8 that they put in the Crown Victoria and the Mustang. The biggest difference is the failure rate of the V8 is significantly less than the V6. Its a tight fit in the explorer, but you probably guessed that. The tranny is a light duty tranny that they put in the Crown Victoria...

The V8 is a gas guzzler though. Be prepared for mpg numbers in the low teens.
  • I purchased my Explorer XLT new in 1998. Immediately after purchase the transmission dumped its fluid out. The dealer repaired it and the following day it did it again. They finally repaired it correctly. Now with 70,000 miles on it the front axle seals started a high pitch squeal from 0-30 mph. There was a TSB concerning this problem so apparently I am not the only one having trouble. I had this repaired and while they were changing the seals they noticed that both front and rear differential seals were leaking. (I have never owned a car that had a differential leak) now I have paid for two to be replaced. Another problem is that if you park with the engine downhill with 1/4 tank of gas or less it will not start. You first have to get it level.(there is a TSB concerning this problem also) I emailed Ford concerning these problems and they were very sorry that I was having problems but could only offer directions to a dealer and emotional support as the car was out of warranty. Today I received a letter from ford stating that they had extended the warranty for the timing chain and lower intake gasket to 72,000 miles. Mine has 73,000 I wonder if I can make it to the Isuzu dealer to trade it on a Trooper before it breaks?
    Part of the regular 4x4 maintenance is to have the hub seals and wheel cylinders repacked at 48,000 miles....check the service schedule.

The gastank issue is a known bug in the fuel pump design since 1991. Even the owners manual says not to let the tank go below 1/4 full...because the engine may not start in the nose down position.
  • How do I know if my timing chain tensioner is going bad?
    It doesnt "go bad".. it either works, or it breaks off and the chain rattles in place, creating a loud diesel noise in the engine and a slight loss in accelleration.

Be advised that the V6 SOHC has 4 (!!!) timing chains that can have problems in this regard.
  • I guess everyone got tired of ranting about the Firestone and cam tensioner issues.

Ah, I am a content Explorer owner (so far with this one, that is.)
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    I am also a very content explorer owner. I have had no major problems with my XLT V8 AWD with 38k. I have taken the thing into soft sand and deep snow and have never been stuck. Did have to help a Toy 4x4 at one time on a snowy trail. I have had problems with idiots at Ford Dealerships though.
    You know, you probably just jinxed yourselves by stating that. Might have to wear garlic neckace for 7 days to reverse the bad carma...
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    Im not superstitious but,if you must, my necklace of luck is in the form of an extended warranty. Njdevilsrn, what year and other info is your explorer and how long have you had it?
  • I've had my '93 Explorier 4X4 since new. It currently has 136,000 miles on it. Only major
    repairs (if you want to call it that) was replace water pump at 89,000 and a new lower intake
    manifold gasket at 83,000. Only other repairs were normal fluids changes and wear and tear
    items (brakes, tires, shocks), The original tires lasted 83,000 miles. Transmission has only had
    fluid and filter changes every 20,000 miles. I'm sure that helps. At one time I was putting
    6 to 7 hundred miles per week on it. Never failed me. Never let me down. Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Plan on purchasing another when this one wears out.
  • I have owned 3 different Explorers over the past 4 years. The first was a 1997 Explorer XLT. For some reason, I replaced it in the Spring of 1999 with a 1999 XLT. At the age of 26, I can say that was the worst mistake of my young life. The 1997 was problem free, the '99 was anything but. I have listed the problems on here before (a quick list...3 sets of pinion seals, ball joint in left front end, horn, windshield, brake rotors, rear suspension link assembly, leaking rear hatch all within 14000 miles).

After a lot of argument with Dayton Ford and the regional "customer service" rep, I got helped on a trade this summer. Unfortunately, I was not in the best financial situation at the time, and the dealer said I could only pick from what he had on the lot. I walked out onto the lot and had my eye on a blue 2000 XLS. Got in it to test drive, the thing was dead. So I now own a 2000 XLS - Red. Got it in July, had the serpentine belt and steering pump replaced (were bad from Day 1) and so far so good since. Also have replaced the stock radio with an Alpine system (head unit and 4 speakers) and replaced the tires with Michelin Cross Terrain tires. I highly recommend these tires, they are smooth, and traction in the snow and ice we had last weekend was no different than the Wilderness ATs.
  • mthodemthode Posts: 1
    My 1997 starting making that awful pinging sound. Since it is out of warranty I was going to take it into our regular mechanic to see what the problem could be. After doing a little reach I found this board and read that a lot other people were having the same problem. I called a Ford dealership close to our house and explained what I had found out. They claimed to have no knowledge of the problem. It didn't take their word for it so I called another dealer and they knew right away about the problem and said the timing chain tensioners had been recalled. I am happy to say I had the repair done at no cost to me. The check engine light is out.
  • i looking at purchasing a 97 xlt explorer
    and i wanted to know if anyone has had any
    problems major or small
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    why don't you take the time to read the 458 posts prior to yours and decide if there are any problems with the exploder, errr.. explorer.

ace
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Regarding the plan to purchase a 97 Explorer. I sold my 97 after only 1 year of ownership. Lets see the problem list included but was not limited to: Leaking windshield from factory, door seals didn't seal, broken rear wiper, excessive road and engine noise (even for an explorer), new drive shaft, vibrations around 60mph unfixable, and the last straw was it never got better than 14mpg with the SOHC V-6 (acceptable according to ford). Now the 98 I replaced it with would stall unexpectedly while pulling into oncoming traffic, had new drive shaft also, rack and pinion, rear wiper again, entire body vibrated due to drive train all before 36k miles. Needless to say it was traded before the warranty ended. I did have a 96 with the OHV engine and it was the best and tightest of the three. Even today if I get into a 96 model it feels tighter than a brand new 2000 XLS my neighbor now owns. Make sure you get a warranty, you will need it.
  • sjorensjoren Posts: 1
    Greetings All,
    Got my new Explorer last week and have a couple of questions. Material I received stated that tire pressure should be kept at 26. I recall reading somewhere that Ford recommended a tire pressure of 30. Anybody else hear that. Also stated was use of unleaded (duh) 87 octane. Now, my 92 Explorer had nothing but premium and I never had any engine issues after 110K when I traded it in on the new one. Comments?????

Many Thanks
    Sandy
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    your explorer should have a new sticker on the door jamb showing the new, recommnded tire pressure of 30 psi front and back. ford sent out replacement stickers to owners and certainly should be putting them on new ones. you should have gotten one already as a current owner. Good Job Ford!!!

as for octane rating... your truck is designed to run on the manufacturer's recommended fuel. now, coming from ford, i realize that doesn't mean much, but unless the engine has high compression (which yours doesn't) it shouldn't need high octane fuel. put it this way, (and this should scare anyone who uses too high a grade of fuel for any car) over those 110K miles of (luckily) trouble free motoring, you spent $1,500 to $2,000 on unnecessary fuel costs! that difference would have more than made up the bath that explorer owners are taking on resale values currently.

just my thoughts,
    ace