Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    As for your "Made in the USA" SUV, just so you know the truth:

The engine was made in France
    The tranny was made in Germany
    The plastic was made in Mexico
    The Tires (depends on what you have)
    Michelins - Europe (France, Germany, England)
    Firestones - Either Wilson, NC or Quebec, Canada
    Dunlop - England
    General - Canada
    GoodYears - USA

Hope you enjoy your ride. See you back here when you have more problems with it.

Also, the new car smell lasts for a couple of months and comes from the glue.
  • cberescberes Posts: 24
    still running! After reading thru many of these posts I guess I can't complain about --

-- replacing liftgate (@46K--luckily, under Ford recall)
    -- replacing brake rotors (@50K)
    -- rebuilt transmission (@80K)
    -- new fuel relay switch (@ 90K after 2 months of never knowing if truck would start after being parked for ANY amount of time and several lunchtime tows to the mechanic after Ford couldn't diagnose)
    -- brake jobs, brake jobs, brake jobs

Other than that . . . now has 170K and seems to have "settled down." Oh, the 4WD works intermittently, but thats OK-- didn't want it anyway.

So we're hanging on for as long as possible-- hope to replace in 2002 if our luck holds. Won't be getting another Explorer or Ford product. Dealerships' service departments were worse than poor-- now use good independent. But point of this was-- I thought we had a lemon until learning of others' problems-- think we'll be checking out Saturn's 2001 offering!
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    I need advice. I have a 2000 Explorer that has had three engines in the past 15 months for coolant intruding and mixing with the oil. I now have the same problem again. What are the odd's on that? I called Ford customer service and requested they replace this Explorer with another one.......Quote " Ford does not replace vehicles, we repair them"....... I would argue that statement. The state Lemon Laws in Mass. deduct a useage fee of .25 per mile @ 40,000 miles= give Ford their lemon back and still owe them $10,000. Lawyers suck all they want is your money= more of a loss. What can I do? Any advice?
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Shows that the "Blind loyalty" claims that some use to explain top selling vehicles has little or no basis in fact

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwira25_20010425.htm

• ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    with blinders, or do you just choose to look at only some of every picture? The study was specifically, i repeat, specifically calling attention to the fact that from '99 to '00, customer loyalty declined. In case you haven't really been paying attention, the argument is about "if they're such junk, why are there so many on the road?" DUH!!! statistics change from year to year. I didn't see a trend line or historical data presented anywhere in the story. Let's compare 1993 to 1994 to 1995, and so on. From our REAL data pool at the this and the other exploder related topics, the consumers who have gotten screwed by f.o.r.d. and their exploder outnumber those who were fortunate enough to have bought one of the better vintages, say 1994.

If you're going to make a point please try to offer something beside what is basically useless data.

i think that you may have little or no basis in what the reality is regarding the p.o.s. ford exploder. read the posts. three engines, miltiple transmission, people thinking that they have a good explorer even though their wipers go beserk. puh-lease.

ace
    in the story (talk about blinders)"Unhappy owners usually defect to a different brand the first chance they get". You are the one who keeps repeating that consumers are so dumb they continue to buy vehicles that fall apart on them. I just don't think thats true. The people on this forum represent a very small percentage of the number of people purchasing cars or having real experiences with them. Also this being on the internet, I have a hard time believing all the stories I read here. How do I know if you even own a Ford? You may be someone who has a chevy truck with a picture of Calvin whizzing on a Ford Logo. You may never have owned a Ford for all I know. I live in the real world, work in the Auto business, and base my opinions and purchases on what I experience.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    In my opinion people are more apt to post about their problems with their trucks or cars, just look at the titles of the topics of the conferences the majority of them are about problems, its not only Ford products.
    If every car was so perfect and built without flaws why make new ones and have different makes and models :)
    you've pretty much proven my original point. i am ticked off at f.o.r.d. and firestone for royally screwing the owners of the exploder. i would love to switch brands, however, as as originaly stated, the truck is pretty much worthless. this is a direct result of pathetic quality control and the covering-up of a major safety issue. your attempt to deflect my point is really weak. you will deflect, diffuse and deny. of course i own a p.o.s. exploder. i have posted about specific problems with my '97. you also chose to ignore the FACT that the article had NOTHING to do with the historical sales numbers and how people have had, repeat, have had, blind faith in the exploder due to the sheer numbers on the road. can i take your argument about this board being a small percentage of actual owners and invert it and state that the FEW people who have a later model exploder and post here at edmunds are representative of the entire group of happy owners? my gosh, your arguments are nonsensical.

i dispute that notion that a majority of the discussion are about problems with vehicles. most are labeled this versus that or a generic title. please take an actual look. reality will set you free.

f.o.r.d. sucks!

ace
    The Explorer is still the best selling SUV, despite the fact there are now over 50 alternatives. The fact that your 4 yr old SUV is worth 13-15,000 dollars is a problem many SUV owners are sharing. I checked the dealer ads in the Baltimore Sun last week, 97 Nissan Pathfinders, Isuzu Troopers and Toyota Forerunners were running 12-17000 dollars retail at dealerships. Face it, the gas crunch and the fact that tons of SUV's are coming off lease are the main reason prices are down. If you are updside down on a 4 year old vehicle you certainly paid too much if you bought it used, or must have financed it for way too long. You have had a bad experience, maybe you should get on with your life.I personally have had vehicles that had similar problems, I got rid of them and didn't buy another. Your blind faith comments have no facts to prove them, and common sense tells me that they just aren't true.
  • uthemanutheman Posts: 18
    That explains the happy feeling I get every time I drive my new 2002 Explorer.
    Ace, i just want to add that there is a difference in posting about problems and concerns about Ford products and just all out bashing the product and thinking that ford or others owe you something, yes by now we know you are ticked off at ford.
    I think what ACE is saying about FORD not standing behind their products is largely a dealer issue and a factory quality control issue. I've owned a 1994 and now a 2000 and the new one is about twice the price and about half the quality.

But if you have a good dealer, you have a much better experience/feeling about the vehicle. The trouble is that most dealers (and this includes GM and Chrysler) dont care about doing a good job in service... and wont work with the customer to get the problem resolved. Part of that is that they employ a strategy of "the more times they come back for service, the better" and the other idea is that they dont care. The mechanics that work at my dealership, although ASE certified are mostly all on their first job right out of school.

ACE, I feel your pain and am sorry about your issues. I think your best course of action is to speak with an attorney and decide on a plan. Keep in mind that some explorers are made in Canada, Mexico, and the USA and "quality" may vary from plant to plant and some people may actually have a good experience with their vehicle... although happy customers are typically not as vocal as those with problems.

I hope you can find peace in another ride, and hopefully soon...life is too short to be irritated to the point that it affects your wellbeing and health.
  • mattdurmmattdurm Posts: 2
    I have a '95 XLT with 74k and have had minimal problems until recently. Never dealt with a dealer service dept. until recent recall on sway bar. I was pleased because it fixed problem that I thought was a bad shock. Mysteriously my check engine light came on 4 days after having it in the shop. HMMMM... That next day they called to see if everything was OK. It wasn't, but thought I would try to diagnos myself before dishing out the cash.
    Spark plug change got rid of CE light, but a few days later the O/D off light began flashing. I have read some posts that have also been through this. Fluid was ok and Haynes said take it in. Took it to different dealership, friend is asst. mngr. of service dept. to have it checked out. My problem was shift solenoid which they replaced for $600. I apparently got a deal $54/hr rather than $68/hr.
    Now my check engine light is on again. I am thinking that my problem is throttle control sensor because engine surges rythmically. That may have caused trans. sol. problem. Error code says that EGR valve opening not detected.
    Did anyone have engine sensor problems proir to O/D off light flashing?
    I would like to hear more about problems "95 owners have or are having since we seem to have same truck with similar history.
    Other problems I have.
    -Dome light will not shut off after ignition.
    -Top brake light gives initial flash then nothing.
    I like my Explorer, and want to keep my friend, so I am trying to avoid bringing it back in.
    If anyone else has suggestions let me have em.
    Thanks...
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I agree with Mazman1 regarding your Explorer. Life is too short to be so angry with one vehicle. I can understand your fusteration completely. I got rid of the lemon vehicle (oldsmobile gutless ciera) and went to a new car company. I have had good experiences with both my 96 and my 2000 explorers so Im crossing my fingers that they will give me trouble free miles as they have to date. If I was in your position, as I would to be ticked at Ford, I would dump the Explorer(because if its worth nothing, then its only going to cost you more money to keep fixing)and get a new/used vehicle from a different car company. Goodluck
  • yasdbyasdb Posts: 1
    My'95 XLT O/D light began flashing last Wed. with the auto appearing to be stuck in 1st gear. Since I had been at the dealer about 3 weeks ago for an electrical problem, I assumed that the problem was related to this. But, when I took the auto in the dealer said that the clutch was burned out and I would have to fix the transmission at an est. cost of $2100. I have a couple of questions:
    -Why didn't the computer diagnostics done 3 weeks prior to the o/d light flashing indicate that there was some problem with the transmission? Aren't some kind of codes supposed to show up or do they specifically have to be looking for some problem in the transmission vs. the electrical system? The car was taken in b/c it wouldn't start, not specifically for an electrical prob.
    -Is it reasonable for a transmission to fail at 95K miles? Is this reasonable wear and tear? We have kept up with the scheduled maint.(60k)
    -My check engine light has been on for about 16 months, paid $400 dollars in late '99 to have repair done to correct it. When it came back on, was told it was a sensor problem and just tighten the gas cap. Could this have been indicating some prob. w/the transmission that we just ignored?

I took my car to a transmission shop for a 2nd est. and the need for a new transmission was concurred. Sorry so long, but now I'm totally frustrated, going to be out $2300 and wondering if there was anything that could have been done to prevent this problem! Any advice(or support) would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Does explorer's and mountaineers all come with the non lubricating ball joints? does anyone have the problem of creaking noises during hot dry days? if this is common is there any type of fix?
  • sencsenc Posts: 44
    To add my $.02 worth on the quality issue. I owned one of the first Explorers when they came out, a '94 model and a '96 model. All were very low maint. vehicles. The last one was one of the best vehicles I ever owned and never even went back to the shop for service. It did have a throttle sticking problem(and because of high mileage, I traded it.) It's unfortunate that Ford and Firestone have stuck their heads in the sand and ignored the issues with the tires and in the process destroyed the resale of many Explorers. Last week while at a Ford dealer to get my new Expedition checked, I saw a Firestone Wilderness AT they had just pulled from an Exped. and if you had seen the inside of the relatively new tire, you would surely remove the tires if you still have them(I removed them from my new truck and paid $600 out of pocket for Michelins)because my family's safety is worth more than that to me. ANYWAY, Ford has obviously let quality slip to save money. I know a dealer and he says his sales are off because Ford won't produce a reliable vehicle for them to sell. Look at Escape(a good vehicle but dealers have been ordered not to sell them 4 or 5 times already due to dangerous problems needing correction, just ask people abotu the fuel odor in teh interior), Exped.(many have the transmission/engine problems, many like me have a vibration at highway speeds coming from the rear-end that can't be corrected). Again, Ford shafted dealers by reducing the rates they reimb. them for warranty work(ask any Ford dealer mechanic about it). My Exped. even lost the rear-end fluid at 300 miles and had to have a new rear axle(no, Ford's dealer rep. in Detroit wouldn't do anything for me other than pay for a rental). Thank God I leased it so that I'm not stuck beyond 2 years. It's a real shame that they keep trying to take cost out of the vehicles with unproven parts and engineering and it is us who ultimately pay. I really like Fords and there are many good aspects about them, but unless they are reliable and trouble free, they are not going to sell Yeah, I know GM is bad too, probably worse than Ford, but this is a Ford board. I hope the 2002 Explorer is a solid performer, otherwise the line for a Pathfinder is going to get alot longer.
    I would like to trade me other vehicle for a 2002 Expl. but I'm too scared to try another Ford right now..Good Luck
    I agree completely with what you said. I'd just like to add that Ford engineering/design is not totally at fault here... a large part of the blame should be put on the build quality and poor quality control coming off the Ford factory lines. Lots of the issues I see are vehicles that just were assembled incorrectly.. And it is not entirely the UAW fault either. Ford asks the line workers to work longer hours with fewer staff, and have an attitude that if they can get it to roll out of the factory, the problems/ defects can be fixed by the dealer WHEN they are encountered by the customer.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    Why can my Pathfinder be such a quality/tight vehicle and all three of my Explorers (96 year being the best) and my 2000 Expedition be so poorly built. I have had the Expy only 6 months and already found that it can not be kept in alignment (eating up the R front tire), the gas tank came from the factory leaking, an incessant rattle comes from the passenger door and seat, the cheap plastic grommets holding some of the vinyl trim are already coming out. If the non-domestics can put together a quality vehicle in the same market why can't we?
    It's to bad the quality has gone down hill, I finally got my front suspension taken care of by my dealer though as always the dash or the middle console still makes noise i think thats a permanant noise from the plasic meshing together, I can deal with that noise. seems all explorers have the same plastics or dash noise i think?
    that the only noise that comes from the dashboard of my exploder is when i bang on it in frustration because something else has broken or isn't working correctly.

ace
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    i got a ford explorer of course its a doggone lemon 2000 that is so here i am stuck well maybe not would seem stupid to put down at least 4500 down on a toyota sequoia to get rid of this lemon by the way went to lemon law lawyer said ford will not buy the lemon back because i did not have any problems until after a accident i had this yr rear-ended he really did not want to help at all so here i am im already at 28000 and it has not been a yr yet should have bought more miles first time leasing. live and you learn. plus you think brakes, tires, etc. so would it makes sense to put that amt down plus toyota is taking it as a trade they want 16% down 6000 im not paying ill deal but thats to much on a 38000 truck so what do yall think help???????
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I think you ought to buy some punctuation.
  • drshrinky1drshrinky1 Posts: 4
    I will NEVER own another Ford after past experiences noted on this post.
    Take a look at pages 30 and 31 of Consumer Reports annual auto issue and review Ford results and tell me that all SUVs have serious problems.
  • brophbroph Posts: 85
    I have a '96 explorer & the oil gage registers under the oil can about 85% of the time. Being that this is not the original dashboard, I wonder if it the gage or gunk build up. The other gages work fine. It has 104K on it now & runs great. I would like take care of this before it blows the engine. Has anyone had this problem or recommend any kind of oil additive to clean up the gunk? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Tom
  • wedge9999wedge9999 Posts: 1
    Have the problems u guys have had with the
    SOHC V6 or the OHC V6?
  • mattbartmattbart Posts: 12
    I have been a frequent reader of and occasional poster to this group since the purchase of my 1997 XLT about a year and a half ago. This afternoon I became a statistic... I became one of those Ford Explorer owners involved in a low speed crash that resulted in a rollover. I sideswiped a utility pole while swerving to avoid the vehicle in front of me who suddenly slammed on its brakes. After bouncing off the pole, my Explorer skidded sideways and flipped over. Luckily, I was wearing my seatbelt and I climbed out of the vehicle with only a few scratches and bruises. While I was impressed with the protection the vehicle provided me, I was shocked at how easily it actually rolled over. Hopefully the insurance company will total the hunk of scrap metal and I can get a nice Honda Accord with the money. Good luck, Explorer owners. My Perpetual Ford Explorer Woes are over.

By the way, a note to ENGINE: I had the OHV V6 and that engine was probably the only part of the vehicle I never had problems with.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,009
    Wow, did you come straight from the rollover to Town Hall? Bet you're gonna be sore tomorrow.

From your description it sounds like the tires didn't hit anything right before the roll (like a curb)? Glad to hear that you're ok. Tough way to justify getting a new rig....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    OK, I'll throw a topic out there. Does anyone know of a problem with the steering stops that is inherent to Explorers? My hunk of junk '99 needed them lubricated I remember. Now, my 2000 makes a pretty loud clunk when the wheel is hard over (doesn't matter right or left). I forget if this is the sound that the '99 made, but I think it was. Anyway, is this a known problem with this breed, is it a sign of a future problem, or just something that needs to be maintained. Any ideas?
    The lock to lock turning was designed to accomodate smaller tires and wheels on the explorer, thus the steering mechanism lets you move the steering wheel further than the tires will let you turn and you hit the tires into the chassis. Nothing wrong here other than bad design. You will do better not turning lock to lock as this is hard on the mechanism as well.

There are greese fittings and these should be lubed every 2 years... so your 2000 may be due soon.