Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• smiles428smiles428 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. Please let me know if you get anywhere with Ford.
  • I am not getting a spark between the coil and the wires. Can anyone tell me how to test the coil to see if has gone out?
    Thanks in advance!
  • heathreheathre Posts: 1
    I need some help. I just purchases a used 1995 Ford Explorer, 4 dr. 4.0L 6 cyl. 150,000 miles. I have had this car for two days. The headlights have spontaneously shut off on me while driving the car at night three times now. I can't make out a pattern. It seems like I will be driving for 10 minutes or so with them on and all of a sudden, they shut-off.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Please help.

Thanks

H
  • steve106steve106 Posts: 2
    While driving yesterday my O/D light blinked on and off. I stopped the car, turned it off for 10 seconds and cranked it, light did not blink anymore. This morning on the way to work the transmission failed. No gear position worked, forward or reverse. I got to the side of the road, tried it several times in and out of gear, to no avail. I turned the engine off, raised the hood and did a quick check, got back in cranked it and it would go into gear. It is a 4x4 has 137,000 miles. I tried it several more times and it would sometimes work, sometimes not. Called a wrecker to tow to shop. I have read of shorted and burnt wires causing a similar issue. Any help for this? Thanks
    Steve106
  • steve106steve106 Posts: 2
    Failing door locks. Had the same problem, was fixed at dealer when the seatbolt recall was done. Problem is a broken wire in the wiring harness near the switch. Dealer said mine was cut into. My door locks would not lock and drivers side window did not go up and down. It was the power lead. You should have voltage on one side of the switch with ignition on. If your switch has no power on either side, that is your problem.
  • ohollimanoholliman Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 explorer sports trac xls. I want to put some fog lights on it. Can anyone tell me if it is already pre wired for them, and how do I install them. Thanks
  • rolltiderrolltider Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ford explorer where the the rear hatch is opening when I drive. It happens 6 to 7 times a week when I am driving and the hatch opens. I have taken it to the dealer and they say unless they can be duplicate in the dealer lot they will not fit it. I have had it in twice and it didn't happen. Does anyone have any ideas or a telephone to Ford's claims department. I have small kids and cannot risk driving with them until this gets fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
  • tavtav Posts: 2
    Don't know if this will fix your problem but I do know that sometimes the latch on the hatch will stick and you think it is shut be the latch never closed completely. This happened to me on several occasions. If this is the case you can see the latch stuck open when you open the hatch. Normally a spring should pull the catch part shut even when the hatch door is open. My fix: Simply spray a little WD-40 on the latch and work the handle up and down making sure the catch always closes. Hasn't happened to me again since I did that. Good luck.
  • niwdogniwdog Posts: 2
    Modulator on side of the Transmission was bad. Was dumping trans. fluid into the exhaust. Local Transmission shop charged $183 to replace modulator & service Trans. EGR sensor (not valve) was bad, replaced myself for $60
    No more check engine light ...priceless !
  • hugscubhugscub Posts: 1
    I have this same problem. Does anyone know what the solution is?
  • Try checking your multifunction switch, pull back and forth on the stalk, and wiggle it around, see if it blinks or comes back on. The headlights work through the multifunction switch and are problematic. The good thing is that they are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
  • Can anyone recommend some sites that sell aftermarket accessories for a 2005 Explorer? I'm looking for running boards, tail light covers, etc. thanks!
  • I have a 2004 Explorer 4.0L with 41,000 miles on it, and a few days ago the 'Overdrive on/off light' started flashing. I took it to my Ford dealer yesterday (June 1) and they said the transmission needs $3,900 worth of repairs but that they will do it for $495, 'cause I am a 'loyal customer' and 'Oh, by the way, would you like to trade it in for a new car'?
    What's going on here? I know that Ford has transmission issues with Explorers, but why the relatively cheap bill? Is it likely that Ford (as opposed to the dealer)is picking up the bill?
    :sick: :confuse:
  • dorkygrindorkygrin Posts: 2
    Has anybody did a DIY replacement of a leaking rack? I have a rebuilt rack but not sure I have all the tools necessary to swap them. Any detailed instructions available on the web?

Thanks
  • whattodo2whattodo2 Posts: 18
    As a recently widowed mom of two little ones I'm looking for a reliable, all weather safe, budget-sense vehicle with the following specs - fit two carseats, big lab dog, big wheels and tent w/ accessories, possibly fit lawnmower (or tow behind), bikes, etc. - did I mention on a tight budget?

Anyway, I've basically narrowed my search to Jeep or Explorer, and currently am looking at a 1994 JGC with recently rebuilt transmission, 166K, new tires, new front brake pads, engine work done to replace valve seals (?), one owner salesman, "test driven" all last winter by a friend who recommends it but needs to sell it (already owns 7 vehicles). Only "quirk" known is back driver side window doesn't work - not the motor. Asking $3,000 more or less....Is this a good deal???

In comparison, looking at a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, maintenance records available, 106K, $5,500 OBO. No other details known.

Either one seems to give the flexibility for cargo room and road safety (we hope to go on road trips - no real off road but camping, parks, etc), but the cost vs the mileage and age - -
    Does anyone have any opinions from owning both of these vehicles? Any years to avoid? Any specific questions to ask?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    You can appraise them here while waiting for reliability and usability comments. Used Caravans are cheap too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• crystaljcrystalj Posts: 1
    Hi,I have a 91 ford explorer...when I accelerate it feels like its running out of gas.it will get up to like 30 then it looses acceleration.I had the fuel filter changed and it ran good that day but the next day it was running like crap again!I also had the cadilac converter checked and its not pluged....any suggestions on what it could be?
  • allisonmiallisonmi Posts: 5
    I've had my 2002 Explorer for three years and up until a month ago, have absolutely loved it. But then it started sounding like a jet was taking off and had the right rear wheel bearing replaced. That took care of the problem. It currently has a little over 70,000 miles on it.

Soon after, I noticed that if I turned from a stopped position, there was major grinding in the tires, like it was trying to get traction not a grinding on metal, which was especially noticeable if I was on gravel. It's not as noticeable when going through road curves at more than 30 mph. I've had the tires checked, the differential checked, and the universal joint looked at - all came back fine. Now they've changed out the power steering fluid and added an additive, but so far, it's still there. It's coming from both the front and back, but more noticeable in the front because of the turning tires. Please help - my mechanic is at a loss. :sick:
  • Remove the plastic air tube between the air cleaner box and the throttle body, and check it for any holes or cracks in the bottom of it. If you find any, wrap it with duct tape, put it back on and see if runs any better. If that fixes it, you need a new air tube.

E.D. ISF
  • Tell us more about this, exactly what explorer do you have, V6 or V8 engine, Automatic or Manual Transmission, 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? Describe the sound a little more and what it is like and how the sound changes on different road surfaces.

E.D. ISF