Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bobismebobisme Posts: 1
    Hello, I stumbled across this site tonight when googling my problem(s). I have a 2003 XLT that did not have any issues until after 3 yrs except for the rear window recall (I still have less than 36K in miles). This summer the rear A/C produces a clicking noise from the rear lefthand side of the vehicle. When I first tried it the noise would happen but it blowed cold air. The other day (second time this summer I needed it - I live in the South but rarely have passengers) the noise was still there but it was blowing hot air from the roof vents. I thought maybe the valve was stuck and switching from high to off and heat to cold might 'unstick' it but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Also, the door ajar light intermitently comes on (more times than not). I've isolated it to the front passenger door. It also interferes with the alarm as when I try to set it the horn honks twice letting me know a door is open. I saw a couple of posts about spraying WD40 in the latch. I'll give that a try but sounds like a temp fix.

Thanks for any help.
  • tjack80tjack80 Posts: 1
    Please help someone my 2003 explorer will no longer shift in any gear I was driving from tx to n.c. and when I got to S.c i filled up turned it on and it would not shift in to drive reverse neutral or anything please help!!!
  • I have an '05 Explorer XLT with 24,000 miles on it. Just bought it from Ford Dealership. I notice that after driving and warming up, it shifts very, very hard from Park to Reverse and also from Drive to Reverse. It appears that it is "kicking" into gear. Is this a tranny problem? Has anyone else experienced this? I just bought this and the dealer is going to fix it on Monday. Any thougths?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Hard to diagnose with those limited symptoms, but I have a 2004 EB which they had to replace the transmission solenoid on because of a slow shifting. Moving the transmission between gears like you mention, would result in a delayed gear shifting from the transmission. This would appear to then slam into gear.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    we had the passenger door switch replaced 2x under warranty, the third time they "dug deeper" and did something with the wiring. didn't have a problem after that.

has our blend door replaced under warranty. i hear that is a common problem and from what i have read may be the cause of what you are experiencing
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    see if the dealer will change the tranny fluid on your car (for free hopefully) and it might fix the problem.
  • Kiawah, when they replace the solenoid, did that correct the problem?
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Posts: 93
    Have a 94 Explorer. Will not shift out of 1st into 2nd gear till I go about 1-1/4 mi. then all is ok. If I stop & shut it off --same thing ---Could it be a vacumn ????

Tks. deadeye
  • Yes, it could be weak or plugged vacuum line to the vacuum modulator. It is on the right side of the trans case, tucked in behind the exhaust system, hard to reach, impossible when exhaust is hot. With engine and exhaust cold, pull the vacuum line off the modulator, hard to reach. Check to see if any trans fluid or liquid comes out of the hose. Prescence of transfluid means you need a new modulator. You will have to lower the trans or take exhaust loose to have enough room to remove the modulator. Don't loose the pin inside, about an inch long. Put vaccum gauge on the hose to the vacuum modulator, should have good vaccum, the same vaccum as you read at the intake manifold. If vaccum is low, check, clean or replace vaccuum line.
    Good Luck.
    E.D. ISF
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Yes, replacing the solenoid resolved the problem (put on aout 1K miles since)
  • jlw99jlw99 Posts: 3
    92 Explorer. Loses ATF at rate of 1qt per 500 miles. No visible leaks. Engine oil shows overfull by the amount of lost ATF. Believe it is being sucked thru vacuum modulator into intake manifold. No smoking. Can't figure how it is getting from manifold to oil pan. Anyone know what is happening here ?
  • There is no way that the ATF can get from the transmission to the oil pan. You have 1 quart of ATF disappearing from your tranny in 500 miles, it means that the vaccuum modulator has a slight leak, and it is slowly sucking ATF into the engine intake manifold, and burning the ATF. That small amount probably does not produce noticable smoke.
    WHy your oil level increases in your engine oil pan is another matter. That needs more investigation to determine exactly what it is. The level could be raised by coolant leaking into the engine oil system. How has your coolant level been doing? Had to add any coolant lately?

E.D. ISF
  • ad1329ad1329 Posts: 1
    Anyone out there having a problem with their 2006 Explorer. Car jerks/stalls around 60-80kmh in 3rd gear and get back to normal in the forth. I've sent it to the service centre and they have noted the problem. They also found several Mountainers and explorers with the same problem. They still aren't able to rectify it. They have reprogrammed the PCM, checked the fuel lines , changed spark plugs and wir filter etc..but none have worked. All they say is that they are waiting for an update patch from ford for the PCM. Is that true ?? any comments guys
    Have already eliminated engine coolant as a possibility. Never had to add coolant fluid in 14 years. Marked level on overflow tank to see if level changed, either up or down. No change. I notice that the PCV valve hose is attached to the intake manifold near the vacuum manifold. Could the ATF be draining from the intake manifold thru the PCV valve into valve cover and then into the oil pan ?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Smell the dipstick for gasoline odor.

• I reiterate "There is no way that the ATF can get from the transmission to the engine oil pan". It must be something else. Everything in the intake manifold gets sucked into the engine combustion chambers, burned, and then out the exhaust. When the engine is off, there is no way the ATF could get siphoned or move to the engine oil pan. If it is not coolant, then fuel in the engine oil would the next most likely suspect, not common, but a leaking fuel injector might cause this. What you really need to do is drain the oil from the engine into a clean container and examine it to see if you can tell what is in it. Coolant can be seen, fuel can be smelled, and if you can't tell what is in the oil, you can send it to a lab to have the oil analyzed. There are several labs that can be found online that do oil analysis. Once you know what is in the oil, you can move on to trying to figure out where is it coming from and what to do about it.
    Good Luck
    E.D. ISF
    Today, I replaced modulator after observing ATF flowing thru a substitute clear hose at the vacuum manifold. Flow stopped after replacement. Drained 2 quarts of oil from crankcase to bring oil level to normal. (2 quarts of ATF had been added since oil change 1000 miles ago). Added ATF to bring transmission level to normal. The drained oil had no fuel smell nor water content, just smelled and looked like dirty oil and viscosity appeared normal. Could not smell ATF. The PCV port on the intake manifold is below and in front of the vacuum manifold and PCV appeared to be moist with oil/ATF. This is a potential path for ATF in the intake manifold to enter the engine oil system, although one would expect the flow to be in the opposite direction. I intentionally drove over 100 miles after replacement and thus far both ATF and oil levels are unchanged. After another 400 miles or so I will report back here with the results.

Thanks for your help ...
  • theturctheturc Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Explorer 4.0, and am having problems with the vehicle shifting out of gear while driving down the road. It happens when the vehicle is at or above 50 MPH. It will drop out of gear and within seconds slam back into gear. I have had the vehicle into the local Ford dealer 4 time now and they cant fix it becuase they cant dupilcate the problem.
    Also the rear end is starting to make noise again. This vehicle has had two new ring and pinions the frist two trips to Ford, and finally a complete new rear end on the last trip. Is anyone having these problems with their vehicles?
    This vehicle only has 21K miles.
  • dave111dave111 Posts: 3
    I have been having problems with our 2003 explorer. I found out that the previous owner had ring and pinion work done at 31,000 miles. I have to pay around $700 to fix some clanking noise now at 44,500 miles.Loose bolt or something plus replace a boot. These problems are probably more common than Ford is willing to admit.