Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks for the reply. The Ford dealer was my next move. After driving the vehicle for a few days, the abs light on the dash came on, so I'll probably have to fix something else now.
  • In ebay there was a product which actually boosts your HP and gives very good mileage. Apparently it says that the installation is simple, does not harm warranty and has no side effects. Anyone out there knows a thing or two about it? Does it really not have any side effects at all?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,984
    Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?

Check out Are Chip Upgrades Worth It? while waiting for responses. Check out post 75 there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello,

This is my first post and hopefully the first of many to come. Before my sophmore year of college Fall 04' started I got a 2000 5.0L V8 Ford Explorer with around 59,000 miles. Currently, the car has around 84,000 miles! I have come to this forum for some advice on how to maintain the car for years to come and hopefully continue to drive it, I am not car expert and any advice is greatly appreciated! I change the oil every 3000 miles usually and use the 87 gas in it.

Recently I had a coolant leak and took the car into a mechanic. The V8 must be a tight pack especially to get to certain parts down low. I was told I needed to replace 4 hoses including the hose with the leak, and have it flushed. I was also having problems starting my car via turning the key only. Usually to start the car I had to turn the key and give the car gas. RPM would idle around .4 or .5. The check engine light was also on and when diagnosed said some sort of air valve needed to be replaced and something needed to be cleaned, which was related to my car not starting properly. Now that I paid them 665 bucks its seems to work great!

Now that I am to this point, What sort of things can I do in order to drive this car for years to come. Thanks for your time!

Kevin
  • Hello,

This is my first post and hopefully the first of many to come. Before my sophmore year of college Fall 04' started I got a 2000 5.0L V8 Ford Explorer with around 59,000 miles. Currently, the car has around 84,000 miles! I have come to this forum for some advice on how to maintain the car for years to come and hopefully continue to drive it, I am not car expert and any advice is greatly appreciated! I change the oil every 3000 miles usually and use the 87 gas in it.

Recently I had a coolant leak and took the car into a mechanic. The V8 must be a tight pack especially to get to certain parts down low. I was told I needed to replace 4 hoses including the hose with the leak, and have it flushed. I was also having problems starting my car via turning the key only. Usually to start the car I had to turn the key and give the car gas. RPM would idle around .4 or .5. The check engine light was also on and when diagnosed said some sort of air valve needed to be replaced and something needed to be cleaned, which was related to my car not starting properly. Now that I paid them 665 bucks its seems to work great!

Now that I am to this point, What sort of things can I do in order to drive this car for years to come. Thanks for your time!

Kevin
  • yeah i went to the wheel and tire store.. and they told me i couldnt put bigger than 16" wheels on my 1999 Ford Explorer because of the high roll over rating.. can i put 17" rims on and still be safe?
  • I have a 93 explorer eddie bauer with 115,000 miles on it. It was running good until 2 months ago. Now when i'm on the highway or going up a hill it starts to hesitate, sputters and then loses speed. It runs good up until 55 or 60 mph on the highway. Any ideas?

I also had to replace one of the vacuum plugs 2 or 3 times. One of them keeps falling off, and the stem had some kind of fluid on it, anyone know what fluid it could be and why it's there? I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to repaires, and appreciate any advice. Thanks
  • The spare on my 2002 Explorer has never been used. It is time to replace the tires and was wondering if the spare could be used as one of the replacements even though it is about 6 yr and 3 months old.

2 out of 3 dealers I called said if there were no visible cracks or ageing signs, it is ok to use. It looks like new with no cracks. Tire is a Goodyear RT/S and would buy 3 more identical tires if spare can be used.
  • Keep up all regular maintenance, and it will last a long time.

My 2000 V8 XLT has 150,000 miles and runs perfect, and I will drive it until 2011, when it will have about 200,000 miles on it. Then I will sell it to some lucky person who will drive it for yet a much longer time.

Start with the basics, what kind of oil and fliter do you use. The 3k change is good with regular oil, but I use the synthetic oils and filter, Mobile One, it cost more but lasts longer and protects better. With synthetics, you can extend your oil/filter changes to 5,000 miles or even 7,500 miles. I do mine at every 7,500, which winds up to be about twice a year for me.

Every 3K or 5K or 7.5K, whatever you choose, do the "normal sevice", Lube, Oil & Filter, plus check all the fluid levels, check all light bulbs, check battery, check fan belt, check cooling system, check spark plug wires, check-air-rotate tires, check brakes, check under chasis for any oil leaks and exhaust system, add 12 oz gas treatment to a full tank of gas, lubricate hinges, latches and window channels.

Every 15K, in addition to the above, replace the air filter.

Every 30K, in addition to the above, flush transmission fluid & new transmission filter, replace fuel filter, flush the brake fluid.

Every 60K, some people will do the transmission flush and filter at 60K intervals instead of 30K intervals.

Every 60K to 100K it may need spark plug wires. If you gap the spark plugs a little closer than the specified .054" gap ( I set mine at about .045" gap) the spark plug wires will last longer, because the voltage does not build up quite as high and stress the insulation.

Every 100K replace the spark plugs.

When replacing tires, have the front end checked and aligned. Mine needed ball joints at 140K miles. The rest of the original front end remains strong and true.
    Good Luck,
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
  • chandykchandyk Posts: 17
    99 Explorer XLT, 83K miles, all maintenance up to date.

I was driving Explorer at night. The lights for the cruise on the steering wheel are illuminated on right side (Rsm, Accel). However, ON and OFF on left side are not visible at night.

I cannot remember if they ever were lit or not. Can you confirm?

Also, if they are supposed to be lit up, how do I fix it? Fuse? Light bulb?

Thanks!
  • chandykchandyk Posts: 17
    99 XLT, 83K, all maintenance up to date.

Driver's front speaker no longer makes a sound. Took it to Best Buy, the speaker is fine. They claim its something with the radio.

Anything I can do? Potential cost of the repair?

Thanks!
  • wd1950wd1950 Posts: 1
    I replaced the motor on my front wiper assembly and I am now having trouble replacing this assembly. Is there a secret way of twisting it in? Please help?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    air bag light stays on all the time.

2002 limited with 75,000 miles

any idea what this might be / what this might cost me?

is this a dealer only repair or can maybe my local mechanic take a look?
  • latedatelatedate Posts: 3
    I own an 1999 Ford Explorer and I have 20" chrome rim on it. No problem yet
    My overdrive light is blinking on and off after driving awhile. when I stop and restart the engine, it goes off and then after driving for awhile it start to blink again. Do I need anew transmission?
    So what did you do to fix you problem? My O/D light started blinking this weekend.
  • rcamp2rcamp2 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 with the O/D light flashing - it also is not shifting between 1st & 2nd properly. Any ideas?
  • mark24vmark24v Posts: 3
    Hi this is my 1st post on here i have 98 explorer V6 4.0 L 188,000 kms .now i live in Saskatoon Canada SK so it has hard winter driving up here my problem in the last week as we are starting to get warmer weather when i turn down the heater or turn off the heater the temp gauge goes up to the top and check gauge light comes on but if i turn the heat on it goes back to normal. With the heat on it runs ok and temp is normal in all driving highway or city . I have owned it for 2years have had oil changes at 5,000 kms but not had coolant changed.
  • mrandy62mrandy62 Posts: 5
    although I don't have a '98, I'd guess you need to replace your thermostat. It should be fairly easy to do, and one of the cheapest things to check first. The thermostat is located at the engine block end of the top hose of your radiator. Just make sure you don't install the new one upside down (pay attention to the arrow stamped on the thermostat for coolant flow), replace the gasket and you'll be good to go. Running the water/coolant through your heater core helps dissipate the heat built up when you turn the heater "on".
  • First time here, appreciate your kind replies.

I do not move my 07 Explorer much now and it only has 2000 miles on it, however, this is already my 5th month of ownership. My dealer keeps reminding me of the 5000 mile maintenance, but my mileage is way under that now. What would you suggest?

I plan to get the first maintenance done in the 6th month and all I plan to do is to change the oil. My dealer told me they recommend a maintenance plan that would cost me $170 minimum every time of maintenance, which includes a comprehensive check-up on top of the oil change. Should I go with what my dealer suggests or should I just change oil until 15000?

Thanks.