Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Can anyone tell me the location of the cam sensor on a 2000 ford exolorer 5.0 engine any diagrams would be helpful

THANKS
  • I have a 1998 ford explorer, 4.0L engine that occasional will not start when hot. Engine will start to run and than fail. After an hour it will than start and will not have the problem for up to month. No error codes: replace fuel filter and pump relay.
    What could be causing this?
  • tothemaxx2tothemaxx2 Posts: 22
    edited April 2010
    2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6. I am trying to find the OBD-II connector. The Haynes manual says under the left side of the dash, but I can find it nowhere. Any one know?
  • Have you checked to see if you have spark from the coil by grounding the lead to the frame? If you don't have spark, it could be the electronic control module (ignition module) or the coil itself. These tend to fail and can cause intermittent problems like yours.
  • I check the plugs and they have a spark, engine start for a second or two, than die
  • yv1mdyv1md Posts: 1
    Hey there, I have the same vehicle doing the same exact thing when putting into reverse, if you don't mind, what was your fix and how much was it. I am getting ready to take the car into the transmission shop on Monday by advice of my regular mechanic. Thanks
  • mfedmfed Posts: 1
    2004 with 53,000 miles. Dealer said the solenoid pack needed replacement. Estimate was $895. Took it to a local 3rd generation tranny shop who has an outstanding reputation. Agreed it may be solenoids. $350. They drove it for 2 days after repair and said it was better but still happened when the vehicle was on an incline. Same things I noticed. Pulled and rebuilt the tranny. Said there was excessive wear at the servo bore which caused low hydraulic pressure. New solenoids probably masked the problem slightly. Trans now shifts better than new. Now I get to deal with the dealer over timing chain tensioner rattle at 2800 rpms. I would find a highly rated trans shop that you can trust and avoid the dealer unless you really trust them. They are just going to use what the Ford TSB is going to tell them. Good luck!
  • fidterryfidterry Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Hello
    I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Baur.
    Periodically the tac will work, most of the time it does not. When the tac is not working, the display on the radio does not work. When the tac works, the display on the radio works.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you
    Terry

Sorry folks, I thought I was adding a new thread.
  • fowlerrofowlerro Posts: 1
    Hello this is my first post and boy do I need help :confuse:

I have a 2002 ford explorer that cuts off and wouldnt start back up. The fuse in slot 41 blows and I have to replace it and it start up . what does that fuse belong to ?
  • gyatesgyates Posts: 55
    Are you still having the hot start issue? Could be the coolant temp sensor.
  • mcmurrerdmcmurrerd Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 explorer and the camshaft position sensor is bad and I am told they are no longer available. I can't seem to find a rebuilt one does any one have any suggestions. Thanks
  • When I accelerate I feel a slight "rubbing/grinding" sensation in the steering wheel and gas pedal. I feel it right around 2000rpm and its most apparent in 2nd and 3rd gear. If I let off the gas, its gone. And I cannot feel it on the highway cruising along. Just during acceleration. Its a V8 AWD model. Anyone experience this?

Thanks.
  • dave293dave293 Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Ford Explorer Limited.
    One day it will start, the next, it won't.
    I and a friend believe it is a fuel delivery problem as he couldn't hear the fuel pump prime up when the ignition was turned on (had his ear close to gas tank) and when you give it a little starting fluid, it attempts to fire but won't, so we belive it's getting spark.
    It dosn't even ATTEMPT to fire when it won't start, but when it DOES start, it fires right off the bat and runs & drives fine, no missing, no bogging, no hesitations, etc.
    Fuel pump? Fuel pump relay? Filter? I always believed that a fuel pump is either dead or alive, NOT intermitent. True?
    Like the tree said to the lumberjack, I'm STUMPED!
  • klaningklaning Posts: 2
    really need help...my truck just started one day hesitating like it wants to stall out but it doesnt. it just runs like crap. When idling over 2 it shakes, as it drops under 1 it gets really bad. so i changed the plugs and wires, not the problem. i change the fuel filter, still nothing. i also cleaned the terminals. Sometimes while im driving the battery light keeps coming on and says CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM. Ive had the battery and alternator tested, both are good.
  • Voltage regulator?
  • klaningklaning Posts: 2
    can i just replace the voltage regulator? i had the alternator tested, it was fine...idk much about the voltage regulator
  • I had a similar problem with my mercedes.. The alternator and battery tested fine so the mechanic replaced the voltage regulator and solved the problem. Nice an cheap too. I would thing the explorer has to have one as well.
  • I have 2002 Explorer with 165k miles. Went in to replace front brake pads. Am being told I need to replace both upper ball joints and both hub assemblies, adding $1500 to repair. Is this a likely area of wear? If were to just replace the pads, what considerations should I be weighing? Am thinking it might be time to scrap the car but hate to let it go as it still runs well.
  • nutter88nutter88 Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 ford explorer sport with vin (x) ohv 4.0. i have cleaned the (iac) intake air control. still may have a possibility of it being bad. i have tested the mass flow air sensor. im throwing a code which is an o2 sensor saying it is running lean in bank 1. the air box is very loud and vibrates, and most the time it wont rev over 2500 rpm while in park. i would like some suggestions. thank you. i have jus redone the the gaskets from the heads up because of a bad head gasket also. i had to get a new egr tube , and a egr air control sensor. the egr i got is from a bit older 4.0 and the vacuum is in a different location i wouldnt know if that matters. thanks again
  • nutter88nutter88 Posts: 2
    that does seem possible with them miles . the hub assyembly has sealed bearings in it so they can cost a pretty penny. upper ball joints you can check by lifting the front end off the ground and seeing if you can wiggle the wheel up and down