Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rsmtomrsmtom Posts: 28
    Call a local 4X4 shop and ask if Warn makes a manual hub to fit your Explorer. They do for some of the Rangers (not the newest), and I assume the same auto hubs were used by Ford on both the Ranger and Explorer. Ford went cheap and used plastic internal parts in the hubs--apparently heat soak from the brakes can cause an early death for the hubs. There is some loss of convenience in manual hubs, but you get much superior reliability. If you plan on an off-road trip, simply engage your hubs in the driveway before leaving. It won't hurt the front end to drive with hubs engaged and t-case in 2WD. You could also leave the hubs engaged if foul weather threatens.
  • dwfmillsdwfmills Posts: 12
    If anybody has brake work done, do not use Ford rotors. Use aftermarket rotors. Ford rotors are JUNK!!!!!! The aftermarket ones will outlast Ford's 3 to 1.
    With all my experiences with Ford on my 96 Explorer you can almost rest assured I will NOT trade for a new one this fall. Quality is NOT job 1 for them, and service is job $$$$$$$$$$.
    It all comes down to the bottom line. It's all BS.
  • mkt1204mkt1204 Posts: 1
    I am looking into buying a late model (95-99) Eddie Bauer and would like some advice on any problems that owners are having. I currently own a Japanese car and I'm not sure if I am ready for the problems that come with owning a domestic auto. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but there are a few misconceptions in my book.
    1. A car SHOULD run for 150,000 miles without a major service, with exception to brakes and timing belt changes.
    2.What some people consider "runs well" could mean "oh, I've only had to rebuild the transmission, or replace the A/C, or this is only the second engine."
    ---lets face it people, these are not common problems, a "WELL" build auto should last with no major services except for routine maintenance.
    --and no, replacing the transmission or engine is not routine maintenance, due to what some may think.
    --People who have never owned a well build car figure that these expensive repairs and constant services are normal, thats because that's all they have ever known!

--But, due to the criticism I still plan to get into the American market and purchase an Explorer, at least it's cheaper to repair and it's the trendy thing to drive. Who needs to save money.
  • bokenboken Posts: 3
    I have a 96 explorer Limited Edition that needs suspension work. My mechanic told me it needed new torsion bars which would be $370 and new ball joints which would be $420 (parts +labor). Is this a reasonable quote for this type or work?
  • magchasemagchase Posts: 16
    The ABS light on my '94 Explorer XLT (54,000 miles) will remain lit after starting, but not on the initial start in the morning. This is erratic, and will not always occur. It seems to stay on during the hot months (it's been happening for about 2-3 years. A local mechanic feels it's nothing to worry about. The ABS system still works like a charm in the winter weather. Any suggestions? Or...do I simply ignore it?
    Thanks!
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    The reason the light does not go on with the initial start is that the computer doesnt know there is a problem with the ABS until you start driving around... If the ABS light is lit, the ABS system is offline, and will not function. Have all the sensors been tested for continuity? There might be water in one of the connectors, and a bit of dielctric grease will fix that. Next step, I'd have another mechanic or even a Ford dealer look at it.
    Good Luck
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    ALot of people metion dieseling on their V6 engines but its not metioned if its the Sohc V6 or the Ohv V6. Any information is greatly appericiated. I just took lease on my 2000 explorer and i love it. Thanks
  • anonymousanonymous Posts: 314
    The "dieseling" was a characteristic of the old OHV V6 design--something related to poor quality control in manufacture of piston wristpins. The SOHC V6 has its own issue(s)--most complained about is a "rattling" noise coming from camshaft drive components, and is noted in vehicles as recent as the '99 model. You will have to check around to determine if the design defect has been remedied. Some folks have complained of multiple repair attempts for this issue, but that could have been due to incompetent dealer service departments.
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    USE TO BE A GUY COULD REPAIR HIS CAR HIMSELF JUST
    BUY A BOOK SOME TOOLS AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.NOW
    WITH COMPUTERS,ABS,AIRBAGS,AND SECURITY SYSTEMS
    YOU NEED TO BE TRAINED AND SKILLED.HERE'S THE
    PROBLEM, DEALERS DO NOT WANT TO PAY WHAT IT
    WOULD COST FOR A MASTER MECHANIC.I WORK IN THE
    COPIER REPAIR FIELD AND IT IS TYPICAL TO TRY
    GET THE CHEAPEST TECHNICIAN. AS A CUSTOMER I DON'T
    MIND PAYING $60 HOUR FOR QUALITY SKILLED PEOPLE
    BUT OFTEN THEY ARE TRAINEES.MY EXPLORER HAS BEEN
    PERFECT FOR 26K MILES AND IF IT DOES NEED WORK
    I HOPE THE MECHANIC KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.
  • majdad52majdad52 Posts: 1
    Sounds like the front brakes are always engaged. You may want to have a mechanic check the brake cylinder. Its possible the orifice is clogged and is not releasing the pressure to the front brake calipers.
  • shayes1shayes1 Posts: 12
    Does anyone know where a Cargo Net can be ordered that will fit into a Sport? It has the four
    tie down hooks in the back. thanks for the help!

Scott
    Does anyone know where a Cargo Net can be ordered that will fit into a Sport? It has the four
    tie down hooks in the back. thanks for the help!

Scott
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    Just a word of caution to anyone considering the purchase of a Ford Exploder. DO NOT DO IT!!!

I owned a 1997 Explorer XLT for two years. Because of some family changes that were forthcoming (buying a house, marriage) I decided to trade in this excellent vehicle and purchase a 1999 model of the same. My rationale was to have a safe, reliable car for even more years to come.

Boy, I could not have made a more incorrect decision. This 1999 model has been in the shop 14 times since April 1999. I have gone as far as filed a lemon law complaint with Ford because of a recurring pinion seal problem (this was finally repaired). This vehicle has had the following work done in this time...
    -a replaced windshield (factory defect)
    -horn replaced (broke after 4 months)
    -pinion seals x3 repairs
    -front brake rotors replaced (warped at 12,000 miles)
    -rear suspension assembly replaced (one of the components was completely split in two...and this vehicle has never been driven off road!)
    -ball joints and support arms in front end (broken at 10,000 miles!)

It will return to it's second home this coming week to have the engine "dieseling" looked at, as well as engine hesitancy.

I have spoken to both my Ford sales manager at Dayton Ford (South Brunswick NJ) and the Ford district rep. They claim these are not "driveability problems", and that if it were the case of a bad engine or transmission they might be able to help me. The only consolation they could offer is $1,000 off the purchase of a new one. I could do better myself.

As for me, I will fight until Ford does something or my warranty runs out. I am not getting $32,000 worth of a vehicle and certainly not the customer service you would expect for having made such an investment. DO NOT BUY AN EXPLORER OR FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRODUCT. THEY WILL GLADLY TAKE YOUR MONEY, BUT THEN TURN AROUND AND SHRUG OFF YOUR PROBLEMS, OFFERING LITTLE ASSISTANCE TO YOU, THEIR CUSTOMER.
    Has anyone added one of these? If so, is it worth it?

thanks again!
    scott
  • tomsrtomsr Posts: 325
    There are performance chips available but they
    are only part of a package to get results. You
    have to modify the intake and exhaust system too.
    It's not cheap and may not be legal.When I got
    my Explorer I thought just get a chip and I'll
    have more power.The people selling the chips
    may tell you it makes a difference but unbiased
    3rd parties say different.
    The one manufacturer I spoke with said 10% more
    horsepower and about 25-30 more lbs ft of torque.
    I guess this coupled witha K&N filter might yield
    better results. I certainly don't want to put
    in a whole new exhaust system, too much money. So your chip made no difference at all?

Scott
  • cobra71cobra71 Posts: 3
    I installed a K&N air filter, Motorsport headers and Flowmaster cat-back system on my F-150 4x4. These modifications did not make a lot of difference in performance (I tow a 4000# trailer). I contacted Hypertech and the guy told me what module to ask for (they won't sell direct to the public). I ordered it from Summit Racing and it made a considerable difference in performance when coupled with the other modifications. Gas mileage went up about a mile per gallon in town. The only drawback is you have to run at least 92 octane gasoline. The truck has passed Pennsylvania's emissions test 2 years in a row (they also check for modifications to the vehicle) with equal to or better results than when the truck was stock.
  • teacher51teacher51 Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Explorer with 61,000 of which it has been back to the dealer once. I have the SOHC engine with the rattle in the timeing chain is what I was told. Has anyone gottten Ford to fix it? I really love the truck. It is the first thing I have owned with that kind of mileage that I have spent nothing on inculing brakes. I just put my first set of tires on the thing. I have a friend who still has a 91 that went through two male teenage drives and has 130,000 miles on it.
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    Forgot to include link to the NHTSA website. Here it is:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm
  • lmc5lmc5 Posts: 16
    The rattle that you are hearing is definitely your timing belt tensioners. Your Explorer probably sounds like a diesel truck. The Ford service departments are aware of this problem and don't let them tell you otherwise. I went to three Ford service departments before I finally got this fixed. The first two said they fixed it but the noise kept coming back. The third service department said the others put broken parts on my engine, pretty scary. I currently have my 1997 XLT for sale and as soon as I sell it, that will be it for me and Ford. It only has 58,000 miles on it and has been in the shop at least 20 times. Mostly for the "diesel sound". I was smart and did purchase the extended warranty. Good Luck and stick to your guns when it comes to Ford service departments.