Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    got my Gravestones replaced today. they put on General Ameri-660 AS tires. first few days on brand new tires are always a lie, as solid steel disks would feel like they were running in tracks instead of slipping. you never really know how much traction wear takes off until you put on new tires.

but what's the scoop from the field? they look acceptable on the web site, and they passed the newly serious Ford lab tests.
  • I have owned 2 Explorers this year. The first one was a 1998 sport 4x4. I bought it on Thursday and flipped it over on it top the next morning. I slipped on an icy road. I was not hurt but shook up. I bought another one the next month it was a 1997 sport 4x4. I had it for 7 months and an idiot pulled out in front of me and totaled my truck. The insurance company said that they could only give me $12000 for my truck. I paid $13340 for it 7 months ago! I did some research of my own and found out that the market for Explorers are down and you can not sell one for much at all. I loved my Explorer, but I will not buy another for a few years. This problem with roll overs and fire stone tires has hurt the value of an Explorer.
  • bioman3bioman3 Posts: 37
    Can anybody give us the specifics as to what parts are replaced when Fords performs the 00M12 recall on the SOHC engine?? I know they replace the o-rings on the lower intake manifold, but how many and/or which tensoniers do they replace? Had it done in March '01, truck is running fine, but I'd like to know the specific parts replaced. I'd ask the Ford people, but I don't trust them without confirmation from outside sources.

Thanks

Bioman3
  • rysterryster Posts: 476
    There are several factors causing the recent plunge of Ford Explorer resale values. The recent redesign automatically accelerates depreciation as the previous generation is considered "old technology". The Firestone tire issue has cast doubts in the minds of consumers as to the overall safety of the Explorer. As a result, people are reluctant to buy, the lots fill up with the trucks, and people wanting out take a hit when they go to sell/trade. Incentives on new models cause the used ones to drop even more. When it becomes cheaper to buy a new one than to get a used one, the used ones are revalued to bring them back into line. My loaded '00 XLS 4x4, which I bought new 9 months ago, is only valued at $17.5. Sticker was $29.5K. It will take at least 8-12 more months, in my case, to be out of a negative equity situation and that is with the 0.9% financing. Significant depreciation. But, cars and trucks are not known as good investments.

Overall, Explorers are good vehicles. I enjoy mine (except for the clunking coming from the driver's side somewhere; will have the dealer look at it soon). They are just as safe as any other SUV when driven properly (they do not necessarily roll over by themselves, which is how the media is portraying them currently). The trucks are reliable and relatively simple to fix when something goes wrong. As soon as the new model starts selling better and incentives simmer down, and the Firestone stigma leaves people's minds, the market will level off. In the meantime, we are just going to have to ride it out and see what happens.
  • roger56roger56 Posts: 1
    I ordered a V8 Limited way back in April. After many excuses, including shortage of tires and closing of plant for vacation, I'm now told the vehicle was scheduled for production on July 31.

Are V8's in that short a supply? I also ordered some options which maybe weren't available in April, such as rollover sensor, but it seems that by now these vehicles should be on dealer lots.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    FWIW the dealer I go to has had quite a few V8's on the lot for quite some time now. I don't know why yours would be so delayed. Not many Limited models on the lot, however. Maybe that's the problem.

What is a rollover sensor?
  • scootyscooty Posts: 10
    I do not know the specific tensioner parts replaced in the 00M12 recall , but if you read post #129 he has the parts and the part nos. listed on a typical tensioner repair job.
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    Anybody driving on the BF Goodrich Long Trail tires? My dealer can't get Michelins to replace my Forestones and said these are just as good if not better, but are $20 more expensive per tire. What about gas mileage? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
  • ecko331ecko331 Posts: 4
    I just took my 92 explorer in to see why it was overheating as i previously mentioned and instead of it being the thermostat, radiator, or water pump like some of you suggested it ended up having a cracked head! I got the car 5 months ago when i turned 16 and it has had nothing but problems. Any suggestions on what to get next? I am thinking of a 94-95 mustang gt or a 97 f-150
    Thank you Scooty. From the parts list on message 129 seems like the "typical" tensioner replacement occurs at the jackshaft. Now on to the Ford dealer.

Bioman3
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    such a great experience with the exploder, i would absolutly, positively without-a-doubt recommend another f.o.r.d. product.

great idea! get burned once, why not try again.

ace
    Aren't we lucky we got our trucks while Ford still had a full compliment of employees to monitor their quality control!!! Imagine what the future will bring. Guess Ford had to pay for all of those tires and out of court settlements some way. I wonder if Jaques et al will now take a pay cut.
  • The real reason that the new 4.6 Explorers have been held up, is for more testing. Seems that the oil-leaking head gasket problems from the 1999 year have not been totally cured. Pain in the A#@ job if you have to pull the heads on these engines. They wanted a trouble free launch of the new explorer, so the held them longer.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Posts: 185
    Hello all. Haven't posted here in a while, no news is good news I guess.

Anyhow...the 2000 Explorer XLS (auto) is due for the 15000 mile service within the next few weeks. I remember reading some posts a real long time ago about having preventive maintenance done on the tranny. The truck is about 13 months old, and I drive a lot of stop and go here in "suburban" Central NJ.

Is it too early to start thinking about maintenance on the tranny? If not, what type of service should I have done? How much should it cost?

I own this one, and hope to for at least another 8-9 years. You know what they say about an ounce of prevention...
  • mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    I am not sure if you want the dealer to mess with the Tranny until it is at 20-25K miles, but if you ever have the Tranny fluid changed, be sure to change the tranny filter (inside the pan) as well.. a lot of dealers just change the fluid and dont change the filter.

I would do the following at 15K:

Change motor oil and filter
    Inspect hoses, serpentine belt
    rotate tires
    change air filter
    inspect plugs (especially plugs 5 and 6) for oil and other crud (indicates a problem w/ the lower manifold)

I would keep in mind:
    Change gas filter @ 25K
    Change plugs @ 20-25K
    Repack wheel cylinders (esp on 4x4 models) at 25K

Good luck
  • javdocjavdoc Posts: 1
    Have had my Explorer since 10/90 now with 108K. Early on had frequent AC repairs due to faulty O-rings, then seemed to settle out. Manifold went bad, then 3 of 4 power window regulators went bad. Hard to drive in the South with no AC and windows stuck up! Have read on different website about simple repairs to the gears (rather than the $300 per window dealer estimate), but need to know how to get the door panel off to get at the regulator - any suggestions?

Started hearing engine knock at ~85K, and engine rattle with acceleration above 50mph. Eratic oil gauge at ~95K, but pressure checks were good. Then NO pressure with engine at idle warm, and now diagnosis is losing pressure at bearings. Motor man at dealer revs engine and says "bad crankshaft", looks under oil cap and says "sludge" (oil replaced every 5K x 20), needs new engine. Other website mentions problem with RTV oilpan gaskets degrading and clogging oil screens, as if this were a common problem. Found something on a TSB about change of oil recommendation from 10W30 to 5W30. Was there something Ford knew and didn't tell us?

Now trying to decide about new engine - rebuilt for ~$4K. Either Ford or Jasper (the latter has longer warranty, 3+yrs). Hoping to keep for another 5 years. No tran problems yet - had new alternator and new radiator.

Any recommendations out there?
  • stewertstewert Posts: 18
    Hi, I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with 15000 miles on it and it ran fine until the other day when i went to leave to go to work and it wouldn't start. It just kept cranking but would not turn over. After calling ford roadside assistance and waiting nearly 3 hrs for a tow truck, It was towed back to the dealer and was found to have a faulty fuel pump.They had the truck for 3 days before it was repaired. My question is if anybody out there has had any problems with thier fuel systems with thier 1998-2001 explorers with the SOHC 6 cylinder engine.I thought about trading the truck in for a 2001 Pathfinder but i know i would take a huge loss on the trade in.At any rate i am totally dissatisfied with my truck. The truck seems to have poor overall quality.Other problems i've had was a rear wiper motor needed to be replaced and a headlight assembly due to condensation build up.I hope to have my firestones replaced maybe by mid-decade.I do not want this truck around after the warenty expires!!!
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    I have a 98 exploder XLT V8 AWD with 46k and had to have it towed from my driveway due to a bad fuel pump. I parked it with the nose on a down slope with less than a quarter of a tank of gas. I KNEW not to do this but did it anyway. At least I had an extended warranty and dont have to worry about that problem again. I have heard that the quality of the 97-01 have been sub par but I have been pleased with mine (no other problems not even a rattle). I take it to the sand dunes, off road and in the snow. Never been stuck.... yet.

My philosophy is that there is only one good vehicle. Only the one that you are happy with.
  • stewertstewert Posts: 18
    Smily, When my fuel pump failed the truck had 3/4 tank of gas in it. It was also parked on level ground.Sometimes the truck would take 2-3 tries to start.Finally after about a week it wouldn't start at all. I considered taking it to the dealer but i was afraid i would get the "couldn't duplicate the problem" line.One of the main reasons i bought this truck was i got a really good deal on it.(paid invoice)The truck also is fully loaded. I should of just spent the extra $5000.00 and got a Pathfinder. I will never buy a Ford product again. Is anyone else still waiting for thier replacement tires? I have been on the waiting list for 2 months. The dealer said they are replacing the tires on the older Explorers first.I did buy from a high volume dealer. And they problably have alot of tires to replace. I may buy the tires myself But Ford is only reinbursing $110.00 a tire. The cheapest price I could find is about $118.00 a tire These prices do not include Labor and balanceing. I figured i would lose about $100.00 going this route. Any suggestions? Thanx.....
  • smily1smily1 Posts: 104
    It sounds like you had a different problem with the fuel pump than I had. Did the dealer fix? Was there a determined cause?

I wont buy another ford again only because of how they treat the customer; the company as well as the dealership's service department. I only bought the ford because I researched and believed it to be a good vehicle (I service my own vehicle). So far so good. The old 5.0 V8 is near bullet proof. They typically last a long time.

On the initial firestone recall I went to sears and replaced five tires on my own bill and had firestone reimburse me the $500.00 (this included labor). Not a dime was spent on my part after it was all said and done. I got Bridgestone Dueler APT II's. I think about $86.00 a tire??? They are ok. I would recommend the Michelin M&S or the LTX AT's for an extra couple of $$.

My advice is to dump the sohc V6 and buy something you will be happy with (if you can afford the loss). The sohc has had a bad reputation regarding its design. I think the PF is a good choice. Good luck.