Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mazman1mazman1 Posts: 229
    Is the tranny fluid at or below the "add" line? If so, they may not have topped it off when it was serviced. Have you gotten an answer from the dealer?
  • Twice now--once two weeks ago and once again today--the "O/D Off" light has started flashing when the vehicle was started and has kept flashing until the vehicle was shut off. Both times, the vehicle seemed to be operating normally. And both times, the light stopped flashing the next time the vehicle was started. I took it to the dealer. They they changed the fluid (which was due according to the service schedule). They didn't find any problems.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • ace10ace10 Posts: 137
    probably didn't notice the pieces of the torque converter nhousing.

ace
  • rysterryster Posts: 471
    Well, my truck is at the dealer today to have my mysterious door clunk/pop noise repaired.

Seeing as how they were recently "Blue Oval Certified" I hope they will take the time to thoroughly investigate the problem.

If I can't get it fixed there, I guess I will try a different dealer (I fully expect to get the "Could not reproduce problem" response).

Will just have to see what they say.
  • How'd you make out?

My Exploder is spending the night at the dealer as well, it took almost 3 weeks to get the parts they need to repair/replace the driver's seat recliner assembly. PS...after all that and my leaving it overnight so it is there when they open, the service writer said they "should be able to get to it". NOW ISN'T THAT $30000 WORTH OF CUSTOMER SERVICE?

For what it's worth, whenever they give me the standard "could not verify concern" or "could not duplicate problem" response, I immediately request the Service Advisor or Service Manager go on a road test with me. That has helped on several occasions with vehicles from different dealers/manufacturers and usually gets them to fix it.
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    2000 miles on my new Escape, reservoir still full of anti-freeze and going strong.
  • A question for Mazman or any other XLS drivers...

I posted in the past about the vanishing coolant in my 2000 XLS. After it vanished this past winter (honestly I did not keep a good eye on it), I re-filled it in the spring. All summer long it stayed at about the full line, but I noticed it started trending down a few weeks ago, and after I had it out on a good run yesterday (2 trips of about 100 miles each, cruising about 70 on the highway), I've noticed a substantial drop.

I park in the same place every day, no sign of leaks. Dealer "pressure checked" the system a few months back and said all was well. Oil looks fine. Any ideas?
    njdevilsm: I was woundering what happened several months ago why you stopped posting on this issue. I had hoped it was a quick fix. There is a dye you can add to your radiator that will trace where your coolant is going. In my case with three engines it was making it's way into my oil. 2000 xls 4.0 ohv. Good luck.
    Remember that oil floats on top of water, so you may not see water on your dipstick.. maybe some rust particles. The way to test for it is
    1. Note the oil level
    2. when they change the oil to let it run into a clean pan and look for signs of water
    3. There is a dye that can be added to the coolant tank to trace the leak into the oil

Another thought.. if there is a slight defect in the block, water could get into the combustion chamber and then go out of your tailpipe.... especially when the engine is very hot... as would happen on long trips. Take a look at the tailpipe and check for a gummy black residue.

Hope you find it.
  • Finally tracked down what I thought was overheating of the engine on my 94 explorer 4.0 L. Turns out the smell was not coming from the engine but the clutch was freezing up on the A/C compressor. Finally froze solid and now is a new compressor and clutch. So if anyone out there smells a hot smell coming from you engine compartment take a look at your A/C compressor.s
    You said you noticed a significant loss after two trips of 100 miles each. For what it may be worth I wanted to add that my daily commute to and from work is 100 miles a day on US Rt95 driving at normal speeds of 70mph. Also as Mazman1 mentioned check your oil dipstick, all three engines that I had all developed rust\pits that was very visible. Try to wipe your dipstick with a paper towel and see if particles of the paper remain on the stick. Lastly on my second engine Ford replaced the service manager noted not only dye they added to my radiator mixed into my oil, but they also discovered coolant residual deposits on some of the spark plugs they had pulled to evaluate. Good luck.
    Same darn thing happened to my 1994. The whole AC system was trashed by the compressor clutch. Thank the Lord it was under warranty. My a/c clutch made a really loud noise when it died... easy to diagnose.
  • rysterryster Posts: 471
    Hi!Dealer didn't fix the noise. They claimed it was a loose running board and tightened it "under warranty". Noise still there (they didn't even bother to take the door panel off and see if there were loose components in there). So, they charged Ford $40 to tighten something that probably wasn't loose. No wonder these things cost $30K, all of the erroneous warranty repairs are being passed on to us. Going to let them try again in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know if they get it right.
  • Hi all --

I purchased a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport Lemon from AutoNation USA. The problems are too numerous to list here. I do have an after-market warranty on the car through Fidelity Warranty Services that definitely helps offset the cost. A few questions for the wise members of this board.

1.) Is there a lemon law that will be ABLE to help me.
    2.) Are there any additional recalls (after the tires and sway bar links).
    3.) Do these cars tend to blow through rotors? I am on three sets in 24 months (No, I don't lean on the brakes)
    4.) Does the ABS system have any known failures?
    5.) Is there any significant electrical problems with the car? I have blown 3 sets of tail/brake lights in the last 24 months.

There are a variety of other issues, but I don't see the need to go on any more in this post.

Thank you.

Tim
  • I have an '97 explorer and after the dealership did recall work on the timing belt guides now when I am accelerating and it runs thru 20K rpms
    I get a vibration thru the gas pedal. It is real prevalent when I get up to 55mph. has anyone else had this problem?
    Sounds like they did something incorrectly when the dealer serviced it.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,058
    steve_ "Tires, tires, tires" Oct 4, 2001 3:54pm

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Steve,

Beyond what the linked article says, the NHTSA recall only covers Firestone tires made in Quebec and Wilson, NC prior to 1998.

The good news here is that Ford and the Explorer gets some vindication and possibly some cash back from B/F on the tires that have been replaced voluntarily by Ford.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,058
    Here's another article:

Feds side with Ford

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• swschradswschrad Posts: 2,171
    I would say that all evidence and all investigations have shown Firestone has been blowing smoke, has no data, and had killer tires with serious variations between plants showing nobody was in control over there, while Ford is substantiated at every turn and statement.

anybody has any contrary evidence, the Tauzin committee is looking for it. c'mon, send it in.