Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Overheating Problems

Comments

• nibblehernibbleher Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what Ford Vehical has an Electric cooling Fan that will fit into My Lincoln LS?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    edited May 2012
    I know that this is an OLD discussion, and it's been several years since I've owned an LS, but let me throw this out there for you current LS owners. There are two things that have to be looked at carefully. As "fairieluv27" has already mentioned, the radiator and A/C condensor have to be kept clear of leaves and dirt. Secondly, the cooling system of the LS, especially the V-8s, have a number of short hoses connecting this and that, snaking all over the engine. As such, it's very easy for air pockets to develop, and this will wreak havoc with an LS. It's ESSENTIAL that all the air be purged from the cooling system, or the car WILL overheat.

In short, you need to start with the car completely cool, remove the cooling system cap, warm the engine until the t'stat opens, shut the car down and let it cool with the cap off, then repeat the warm-up, cool down several more times, untill there are NO air bubbles visible.
  • viperacr01viperacr01 Posts: 1
    Owned a 2001 ls for two years. 140k. Got in it and went up town and with ac on it overheated. First time ever for me. Did it next day at home at idle with ac on. Also would not blow cold air until you drove it down road. Took a air hose blew out the condenser and radiator and all kinds of dirt came out. Started car and had immediate cold air. I let it idle for one hour with fan on high and it did not overheat. Only took 5 min the day before for the fan to kick on like a airplane sound and overheat. So this might work for someone else. Always try the easy possibilities first and go from there. If your car not blowing cold air till you drive it a couple min there's a chance the fins are clogged and fan can't push air thru it. Good luck!
  • fraylsfrayls Posts: 1
    My Lincoln Ls V8 recently started over heating. Mostly on a hot day and on a daily trip to the store about 10 miles away. It will mark at half way temperature on the way there and on the way back it will pass the middle mark. I drove it a bit more and it overheated on me. It leaked antifreeze and I could smell burt coolant. I had my mechanic change the thermostat and it helped a bit but it would still sit in the middle mark. Drove it on a hot day and it over heated on me again. :sick: This is driving me crazy. Why does it go to middle temperature so fast? Is the fan not working? Someone please help.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Could be the fan - let it idle and check it in the driveway. Are you sure it's not just low on coolant? Have you replaced the reservoir - it's known to crack and leak. And if they didn't get the air out when they replaced the thermostat you could have an air bubble. You have to bleed out the air using the special bleed valve - it's somewhere near the top of the engine.
  • HappsterHappster Posts: 30
    Check the Degas bottle for cracks. See my posts on this string. Causes coolant to leak at high RPMs and causes it to suck air into the system as it cools. Thermostat swap probably worked for a while because they bled it, but the problem will recur if the bottle is cracked. It won't leak at idle in your driveway, so it's hard to detect. Pull it out and check the seams. Chronic issue in LSs.
  • trofsytrofsy Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 125k miles.

Please help.

When I start driving the car, the temperature gauge reaches the mid point pretty quick -- within about 2 minutes -- whether it is a hot day or cool night. It will stay at the mid point anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, but then the temp. gauge quickly rises and the coolant begins to bubble violently in the tank. If I don’t shut the car off immediately and I let it keep overheating, the coolant will leak out of the top of the cap until it’s all over the ground. If I shut it off immediately, it takes a while to cool back down. It goes without saying that I often smell burning coolant even when it’s not overheating.

Things I HAVE TO DO - (goes maybe 45 minutes without overheating):
    -Turn the HEAT on high (no A/C)
    -Drive it with the hood popped open.
    -Try to drive it at night when it’s cooler outside.

Things I CAN’T DO - (goes only 15 minutes without overheating):
    -Turn on the A/C.
    -Sit in stop & go traffic.
    -Drive it when it’s hot outside... which is hard to do because I live in SOUTH FLORIDA.

Obviously, I pretty much have to keep my travels very close to home.

THINGS I’VE TRIED:
    COOLANT TANK has been replaced – there’s no leak in the new tank.
    THERMOSTAT has just been replaced.
    The ‘bleed cap’ has been removed once to let air out, but didn’t seem to make a difference.

What’s next? :/

Thanks!
  • trofsytrofsy Posts: 4
    ***When I try to turn the HEAT on when the car is already overheating, NO HOT AIR comes out.***
    That would lead me to think the water pump is bad and it's not circulating coolant through the heater core.
  • I'm having overheating issues with my 2000 lincoln ls v8. I've replaced the thermostat twice, radiator has been flushed, degas and radiator cap replaced. It doesn't overheat when its cool out but on hot days it will overheat if I drive too far or too much. I've also noticed if I stare the car it wont overheat right away but when I stop, turn it off let it sit for a couple minutes then start it up and drive it will overheat right away. I have no idea what the issue could be. If I need to use an electric fan where would I get one. I would have an mechanic do the work but I would like to give them some idea. I've taking it to several shops and nobody knows what the issue is. Please help
    julia2178@gmail.com
    Could be air in the system. Did you bleed it using the special bleed port?

The other possibility is the hydraulic fan.
  • I don't think it was bled. Nobody could find the bleeder. Well today while I was driving down the road all of a sudden my car dies while I'm driving. It wouldn't start back. The engine would turn over but it wouldn't run. The engine made a loud knocking sound on one side and some smoke came out. I had to get it towed. What does that sound like ?
    I hate to say it but it could be a broken timing chain. Hopefully it's something cheaper to fix.
  • Do you know about how much it is for the part and where I can get it. Worse case senerio I might need a new motor where could I get a used one and how much do they run for this vehicle ?? I still owe money on it and it would cost me more to get a new car then trying to fix it and atleast have it run til income tax time
    It depends on whether it damaged the valves or pistons. It's not a DIY job either way. Try ebay or salvage yards if you end up needing to rebuid it. There's still a chance it's something less serious.
    Don't give up yet. These things have sensors that shut the engine down at certainly temperatures. Harmless if that is your issues, but obviouslyfix the overheating issues. The hydraulic fans are heinous in these things, but if your hack couldn'tfind the bleeder, that's likely your issue. These things SUCK to bleed the air out and the air may as well be a ball of cement.

The knock worries me, but you also have knock sensors. Pull the codes with and OBD Diagnostictool and tell me what it says.

Rebuild is pricey unless you know what the fak you're doing.
    Oh, and the bleeder hose is by your degas (overflow) tank.
  • :( i have a 2002 Lincoln ls v8 and i have an over heat problem this is what i replace of did so far thermostat, spark plugs, oil, reservoir tank and i breed the cooling system. so what can it be?
  • I read that the hydraulic fan pump go bad on these cars. Maybe yo should have someone check that out or maybe its a bad or clogeed radiator. My car was also overheating but only on hot days. My timing chain went a few days ago I was told that could of been a reason that it was overheating also. I am going to get the timing chain fixed. Does anyone know where I can get a timing chain kit from ????
  • I WAS TOLD MY TIMING CHAIN BROKE. HE'S NOT SURE WHICH ONES OR HOW MANY. MY MECHANIC TOLD ME ITS BEST TO REPLACE ALL FOUR REGARDLESS. IS THAT REALLY NECCESSARY ?? COULD THAT BE WHY IT WAS OVERHEATING ?