Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Hey Getbizzy
    We just bought a 06 limited HL, that comes with heated leather seats and a moonroof, and we paid 31,500 after the rebate. We are excited as we pick it up tomorrow! Good luck, we found the best price via internet pricing at the dealers, requested via Edmunds.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Each region is different but I believe that you can only get heated leather seats in a Ltd. as they are FIO's. ( Factory Installed Options).
  • I've always used regular gas. Usually Gulf because it's cheaper than Mobil and Exxon in my town. I've never used Costco gas, but on occasion I have bought from other independents. Are you driving mostly in the city, or in the mountains? If not, your mpg definitely sounds like it should be a bit higher.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    If his 21 is highway, then it's definitely low. If it's around town, that's pretty good.
  • Appreciate it.
    That was my fear because it limits what I can negotiate on.
    Is it true I will get a better deal with negotiating with what the dealer has "on the lot"?
    absolutely..

Actually if the dealer has to go get another vehicle from a 'friend' nearby.. the other dealer gets the credit for that vehicle as well as the profit. The one you are talking with gets little or nothing, except that he makes you happy.
  • "Actually if the dealer has to go get another vehicle from a 'friend' nearby.. the other dealer gets the credit for that vehicle as well as the profit. The one you are talking with gets little or nothing, except that he makes you happy."

Actually, most dealers do what is known as a dealer trade i.e. they trade one of their cars for a car from another dealer that has the color and/or the equipment that the buyer wants. He still gets the profit and credit from the sale. Some dealers will not trade with their competitors but most will as it can be to their mutual advantage.
    True but the only 'margin' the originating dealer gets is the present sale....which could be little or nothing.

By 'credit' I meant to say money credit.. not unit credit..
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    Yes, Toyota does produce two tone variations. At least from 2001 to 2004. I have seen quite a few in the central North Carolina area. Also have seen a couple at the local dealer. It appears, however, that it is no longer an option. At lease I could not find it on the Toyota website.
  • Has Toyota decided for sure to change the Highlander for 2007 ? I see all the news about the new 07 Camry but nothing about a new Highlander. If so, are there any pictures of the new version ?
  • I don't think Toyota produced the ones you saw, they had to have been customized by the dealer or the owners (unless if they were customized at the port). Never saw any references to two-toned HLs in the HL brochures. Out here in CA don't see any two-toned HLs (except the rare oddballs).

Actually I have a two-toned HL that was two-toned by a body shop. I once came across another two-toned HL on the road -- the lady in the other HL and I were frantically waving at each other.
    You are correct.. This is a SET variation that is done at the regional level on some vehicles. I bridge the border between CAT and SET and often see these variations.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    You are probably correct. The two tone Highlanders I saw were brand new vehicles on the dealers lot. Also noted two tone Highlanders on the dealers web page. I might just be an addition by Southeastern Toyota.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    The headrests on the Rav are adjustable, so it is safe if adjusted properly - same as any other vehicle.
  • larryt22larryt22 Posts: 125
    I have not seen anything official but I think it will be model year 2008. I read a reference today that said the Lexus RX330 would be redone in 2008 for model year 2009. My guess is the redone HL will arrive the model year before the Lexus.
  • Thanks very much for your reply !
  • golicgolic Posts: 714
    I am looking for a 3rd row equipped SUV and am considering the Pilot eX-l and Highlander ltd.

For those of you who compared the two, what swayed you towards the Highlander.

Here is my situation. Our family car is the Odyssey, but my car is a sedan and every now and then we get in a pickle since my car can not hold my 4 kids. I have 2 6 year olds in booster seats, 1 4 year onld on her way to the booser and 1 infant in a car seat. IL law requires they be in boosters until 8 years old.

This is the "second car" I understand the nuances of getting to the 3rd row, but I am not ready to be a two mini-van family. I have never owned a Toyota, but those who had them loved them.

I would appreciate your thoughts-
  • most of those replying to your post , missed a very major + that CRV has it compared to HL.
    What safety features you like on HL that 2005 CRV does not have?? All those listed by you are standard on CRV, + side curtain airbags and VSC. Not to mention the 5 spd AUTO tranny on the CRV.
    For what you get for the buck, CRV is worthed WAY more.
    I wouldn't trade for an extra $2500 the "clock separated from the radio", "cargo cover" or " variable intermittent wipers", for SIDE AIRBAGS and VSC.
    My .2 cts...
    The Pilot is substantially wider than the Highlander so it should be much roomier in back. I'm not sure the HL 3rd row seat would even hold a child seat, it's pretty small. Since we don't have a need for it, it's always been folded down. We went for the HL because of its narrower width and my wife couldn't get comfortable in the Pilot driver's seat.
  • lmn908lmn908 Posts: 34
    We have a Highlander and really like it. Much as the previous poster found, the slightly smaller size was an advantage for us, as were the level of comfort and quiet ride. However, the third row seat is not that functional in the Highlander. (We have never used it.) Check out both vehicles for yourself, but if you are really planning on using the 3rd row often, the Highlander is probably not your best choice.

Larry
  • I have a 2004 HL and the HL third seat should hold a child's seat. I have had two teenagers back there, but it is difficult to get in and out. Best option is to try it out with the kids.

I agree with the previous post that the Highlander is better looking than the Pilot. Although the Highlander looks narrow, it is very roomy on the inside.
  • herzogtum71 Thanks for your reply.
    Most of it is in the city. i had never seriously measured it on a highway. Next time i will check it out. So, looks like 21 mpg in city is pretty decent for a 4-cyl.
  • Does anyone know when the production run ends for the 2006 Highlander?

Thanks in advance
  • Hi golic,
    I have a 6 year-old in a booster and a 3 year-old who just changed to a booster.

Our family car is a Land Cruiser and my car is a Highlander LTD. In 2004, I sold my previous sedan (Accord V6) for the HL and went through this same decision.

My thoughts - If you plan to use the 3rd-row seat a lot (few times a week or more), the Pilot is probably your better choice. However, if it is only to be used a few times a month or less (not on overly long distances), the HL is a great choice.

I've had both car seats in the back ~10 times in 20 months - no problems, no complaints (my boys are 49" & 40"). However, depending upon the height of your children and how they grow during the time that you own this vehicle, the back is just not great for an often used seating area. Furthermore, when this area is being used for seating, the cargo area is skimpy (don't plan on taking much with you - hard to fit a stroller for the infant).

On the plus side - the HL has been rock solid. I just turned over 40K and have only performed routine oil changes and replaced the crappy tires (GY Integrity). Gas mileage has been pretty good (~21mpg) in mixed driving. Much better than what I have read about the Pilot's mpg.

That's my $0.02.
    Scott
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    They probably already stopped making the 06 Highlanders in the factory. Now, Toyota dealers are trying to get rid of them. There still will be 06 Highlanders left to buy when they new one comes at too. Just like the Honda Pilot, all the dealers still have plenty of 05 Pilots. So, you can get a Highlander for a cheap price now, and very cheap when the new one comes out! ;)
    "They probably already stopped making the 06 Highlanders in the factory."

I don't think so. Assuming a normal Sept intro for the 2007 models, there's no way they build 5 months ahead. Typically the last current model year build would be sometime in June and they would start building the next model year in July.

We know from the 2007 Camry discussion that they were still building a mix 2006 and 2007 models 2 weeks ago and the 2007 shows up in showrooms in 2 weeks.
  • Just picked up a Bluestone Limited HL and we are very impressed with it. Feel we got a good deal. This vehicle was so much more comfortable and roomy than the CRVs and RAV 4s we looked at. I have two questions: (1) book says you can use 87 but you get better performance with higher 0ctane - does that include better mileage? and (2) book talks about a "windshield wiper defrost grid" - is that different than the normal windhshield defrost mode? What is this "grid"?

Thanks!

:)
    1) we have run regular almost exclusively in our V6. Get about 22 on the freeway at 70-75 mph. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Any mileage increase from using premium would probably be offset by the increased cost.

2) Not sure about this. Sounds like maybe there are a couple of wires like a rear window defroster but I don't see them.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Defroster grid is optional and comes with cold weather package . Wires in lower portion of windshield prevent ice and snow buildup and believe it is activated when rear defrost button is pushed.
  • Thanks, I did indeed find this grid while waxing it today. Not easy to see since it is located at the base of the windshield which is very dark anyway. It is a neat idea and some simple but elegant engineering that I have never seen before. I have had more than my share of ice-encrusted wipers at 5 AM in the morning!

;)