Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    Steve_HOST... That "window" was a big reason I posted. Originally we were only going to buy the extended warranty from ToyotaWarranty.com, but when the dealer matched the price for the same thing, it seemed appropiate to buy it from them. They treated us fairly and have a good reputation. Unlike the other major dealers in town, I've never heard a complaint about them (and I've been in one part or another of the auto industry in this area for decades).

Mikefm58... I had read the warranty info in detail on the ToyotaWarranty.com site, which is why I got the Platinum instead of the Gold warranty. The dealer did mention that we could have the Toyota warranty or one offered by another company. Since I was prepared to buy online I wasn't interested in anything other than Toyota's warranty. The "money back" was something not offered by the dot-com dealer, and seemed like a good gamble on the face of it. I sent my DW to pick up and pay for the stuff, figuring no matter how bad it was, I'd be out $200 at most (since I was already to pay for the Platinum with no money-back guarantee).

We have already put into our calendars the date we'll need to apply for the refund, and already made copies of the paperwork, since it is mostly on carbonless paper and the writing will likely disappear before 4 years are up. Who knows, maybe we'll need the warranty and it'll be a moot point.

The REAL gamble would be if we need a $500 repair. Do we pay for it ourselves hoping no other repairs will be needed before 100,000 miles so we can get $1370 back?

Phil
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    Try ordering the cover from Toyota. My spouse did the same on a Mercury Cougar and I was able to order the cover only, and, in the color to match the car. Just snapped one off and the other on. May not be the same on the Toyota of course.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "The REAL gamble would be if we need a $500 repair. Do we pay for it ourselves hoping no other repairs will be needed before 100,000 miles so we can get $1370 back?"

At $500, I think you use the warranty. If you paid for the repair, you're now out a minimum of $500 if you don't need another repair. If do you need another one, especially a larger one, now your warranty has cost you $1870.

You bought the warranty to protect you against repair bills, not to loan the dealer $1370 for several years at 0% interest in the hopes of never needing a repair.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    Personally, I'd use something other than Crazy Glue. It's fairly brittle, and while strong, it has zero "give". I'd try a silicone-based adhesive because they are strong, and can "give" a little without breaking. Plus, they are available in black, white, and some other colors as well. You can experiment with blends, too - i.e., mixing black and white to get gray. Just my 2 cents.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    I broke the inner mirror housing on my minivan a few years ago and I've used epoxy to fix it (I've had to reglue it about 3 times now). My break isn't visible though and I'm gluing mostly pot metal.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• phrosutphrosut Posts: 122
    Yeah, I'd prob'ly use the warranty after thinking about it, however the other factor in that decision would be "how close" to the 100,000 miles or time limit we were at the time.

I'm still optomistic that I won't need any repairs at all anyway. The vehicle has been about perfect so far and I hope it continues.

Phil
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    A reporter with a major national magazine is looking for a few car shoppers who are in the process of searching for a car and are deliberating between a hybrid and conventional vehicle. He would be interested to talk to people considering the Toyota Highlander and/or RX400h.

We are also looking members who went through similar deliberations but have already made a purchase, including the Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Honda Accord or the Toyota Prius. Please send a brief description of your experience along with your contact information to Kirsten Holguin at kholguin@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 10th.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alyssazmomalyssazmom Posts: 142
    I'm due with baby #3 in Sept. and am stressing a bit about where to put all 3 kids. Our 2005 Higlander does have the third row but it's been folded down since the day we purchased it.

We're contemplating popping up the third row, putting 8 yera old DD there, folding down the passenger side 2nd row seat and putting 1 year old DS and the newborn on the drivers side and middle spots.

How safe is the third row seat? I'm assuming it doesn't have LATCH (which I don't need for her booster seat anyway) but I worry if we're ever in a car accident how that third row would hold up. I am going to try to cram three seats in the middle row but need another option just in case.

Thanks!

Carrie
  • herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 469
    There was an article in the Boston Globe a few months back on this issue. If I remember correctly, there are no studies that show the third seat to be more dangerous than the other seats but there is a lot of speculation as to why this is the case. Is it because the third seat is not occupied nearly as often as the other seats? Is it because very few studies have even tried to address this issue? Common sense tells me that passengers in the third seat are more likely to be injured than those sitting elsewhere if you are rear-ended simply because there isn't a lot of space between the rear bumper and the seatback of the third row seats in most vehicles that have a third seat. But on the other hand, if you rear-end someone else, the passengers in the third seat are farthest away from the action. In terms of broadside accidents, one thing to consider is the availability of side airbags for the third row seat. I don't think Highlander offers this option, but I may be mistaken.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Highlander does not offer side airbags for third row seat. The Globe article stated the writer's opinion that there should be 2 feet between the 3rd seat and the hatch oprning.
  • dawneedawnee Posts: 59
    For those with 2003 Highlanders w/ 3.0 V6, can you give me an idea of the average gas mileage you are getting just driving around town?

We may have a chance to get a nice pre-owned 2003 and it has the 3.0 motor and was curious if there was difference in gas mileage from 3.3 in current HL's. I didn't see much difference in hp from the 2005 I drove with the 3.3 motor and don't think there would be big gas mileage difference either but curious. This forum has been so helpful in our quest of buying a vehicle. Thanks
    Here's a 3.3 AWD data point: around town, all short hop, mostly sub-freezing temps 14-15 mpg. Summer highway cruising, 70-75 mpg, 22 mpg. Around town really isn't much better than our 1996 Explorer we traded on the HL.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Hi dawnee... I have a 2003 V6 2wd Highlander. We drive around Tucson, AZ. For reference, it is a town with about 750,000 population, most destinations are with in 10-15 minutes, not any significant stop and go, virtually no freeway driving, most average speeds are about 30-35 (some up to 45) day time temperatures are 60-80 degrees winter,(no A/C use) 90-110 summer (definate A/C use!).

Winter (AZ winter!) and summer city MPG 20-21
    Winter and summer Highway MPG 22-23 (this represtents 75-80 MPH on trips of 450 to CA)
    WORST city MPG was 19.5
    BEST was 21.9
    I always drive till the tank is under 1/4 full, then fill up completely, dividing the miles driven since last fill-up by gallons put in.

Interesting to note, the insurance costs for this vehicle, are much less than our 2003 Camry...virtually makes up for the difference in MPG between the two cars, in fact, we love the Highlander so much, we are considering trading the Camry for a 2005 Highlander.

Hope this helps!
    By the way, we have 25,980 trouble free miles.

Jeff
  • vatrojanvatrojan Posts: 3
    I own an 03 2wd Limited and have very similar gas mileage stats as Jeff reports. Twenty one around town, 23 on the highway.

No change in gas mileage with the addition of Michelin Cross Terrains, but a much better ride and much safer than the Goodyear's in poor weather. The Goodyear tires are junk.

Although the 3.0 is an excellent engine, I would try to buy a newer model with the 3.3 because it has the 5 speed automatic. On the highway at speed, that would make a very positive difference. (Not that the 4 speed is a disaster, but I also own another vehicle with a 5 speed, and I can tell the difference).

My Highlander has 32,000 trouble free miles. My wife and I are VERY happy with this vehicle.
    So maybe we should consider looking at the 4 cyl model since we are used to getting about 22-23 mpg around town and probably 26 mpg hwy with our Olds van. Just wasn't sure I would be happy with less power than our 3.4 V6 but don't want to get something that ends up worse on gas. And since every vehicle varies, getting a 6 cyl could mean we get less mpg than people who were nice enough to respond are getting. Anyone who has driven the 05 4cyl that can give insight on gas mileage, please respond?

Thanks Jeff & Vatrojan for the info. I really appreciate it.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Dawnee...I also considerd the 4 cyl, because I was concerned with the gas mileage. However, I decided that the lower resale value of the 4 cyl would prpbably more than negate any fuel mileage savings. Just a fact that more people want the 6 cyl in this type of vehicle. The value of the 4 cyl at resale time will be reduced, just becaue there is a smaller audience for it. Just my opinion...

hope this helps

Jeff
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    will it be fully redesign?
  • sams_6sams_6 Posts: 15
    V6 AWD. Had it just a few days.

A few things I don't like:
    1) window switches and cruise controls are not illuminated. I test drove during the daytime and wouldn't have noticed this.

2) radio station seek from steering wheel controls is difficult to seek through entire dial. Have to press a button for a couple of seconds, wait for audible beep, then let up. Upon finding a station all the steps need to be repeated to find next one. I assumed the seek would work just like the seek button on the radio itself.

3) can't see odometer and trip meter at same time.

4) Driver armrest too close and narrow to be useful (I'm 6'1" 200lbs).

5) some of the doors and lids to various storage cubbies seem kind of flimsy. Time will tell how well they'll last.

A few things I wish it had/did:
    1) ability to control ALL windows and sunroof from driver-door lock. My 1994 Audi can do this. My 2005 HL can only control the driver's window with the key.

2) tailgate window doesn't open. My mistake for not checking this feature though I would have still bought vehicle.

3) external keypad to open door without key ala Ford SUVs. Handy.

Some things I find puzzling (all might be my misunderstandings):
    1) can't figure out how to turn on the cabin lights from the dashboard. Thought that twisting the odometer reset stem clockwise until it hits the detent would perform this function, but it doesn't seem to do anyting. Anybody know what this action actually does do?

2) when CD is in changer, even if the last thing I was doing was listening to the radio, each time I start the car it switches back to CD.

3) instructions for initiliazing the tire pressure monitor seem confusing.

Things I like:
    1) smooth and quiet ride
    2) plenty of acceleration
    3) engine very quiet at idle
    4) doors feel and sound solid when opening and closing
    5) braking
    6) view through windshield

To conclude - the important features like ride and power are way above average and amongst the main reasons I bought this vehicle (plus reliability). I had considered the Pilot (I liked it quite a bit also) but it was larger than I needed and a little noisier.

I'm looking forward to a long and pleasant experience with my new Highlander.
    Thanks Jeff. That is something that I had not considered and since I have a vehicle now that has low resale, I don't want to go down that path again.

Dawnee
    I'm not sure that resale on the 4 cyl model would be disproportionately lower than the original cost differential between the 4 and the 6. However, if substantially fewer 4 cylinder models are sold new, then you would expect substantially fewer potential buyers as a used vehicle.