Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "Does AWD help a lot in preventing skidding?"

AWD doesn't do anything when stopping, only when moving. It would help when going around slipperty corners but you can't defy the laws of physics so driving appropriately for conditions is the best strategy regardless of the type of vehicle.
  • You may try test driving the 4cyl just to verify whether it has the power you need since fuel economy is a concern for you; the 4cyl isn't underpowered on the HL as it is on some other cars. Not sure about the CR-V. A base HL plus the V6 option may run you around 25K with a little negotiating based on what I've been reading on the HL Prices Paid and Buying Experiences board.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    According to Toyota. ca the only models available for 2006 are AWD V6 and the Highbred. No 4 cylinder or FWD available this year. Limited trim is available in 7 passenger models of V6 and Highbred. According to Toyota the 4 cylinder front wheel models did not sell well in Canada.
  • Hi Melissa -

I've got a 2002 with the 2.4L 4-cylinder, and it's never felt underpowered to me. Its usual use is in hilly Southern California, with 1-4 people on board. The 2005 Highlanders have slightly more power than mine, as well as traction control - even with FWD (2WD on the Front), they would be great in snow.

But, if you need to tow ANYTHING regularly, I'd go with the V-6.

My last V-6 vehicle was a 1996 Maxima - i loved it, but didn't need all the power. I traded up for more utility, economy, and ground clearance.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    I assume everyone here knows that Toyota has released its press release on the '06 RAV4 and that the RAV will offer a 3.5 V6 with 268 HORSEPOWER. That means for 2006, the RAV will have a larger engine, more horsepower, more torque and perhaps better gas mileage than that in the Highlander. So equipped, it will probably be
    similarly priced to the Highlander. Wouldn't want to be explaining that marketing mistake to a Highlander customer.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,552
    G'day

I'm a bit mystified at the similarity in size and design between the Highlander (Kluger to me) and the new RAV4. There is threee incehs difference in size and very similar features. Are Toota crowding the Highlander out?

Cheers

Graham
  • I have a 2004 AWD V6 Limited and I've been pleasantly surprised with the mileage. I consistently get 21 to 22 mpg using it for daily rush hour commuting consisting of 10 miles of surface streets w/ lights & stop and go. And 15 miles of crowded freeway. But I consciously monitor my driving habits for mileage, anticipating stop lights to avoid braking, etc.

But as the others have said, check out the 4-cylinder and see if it suits your needs. I didn't purposely pick the V6, it picked me. (The deal was too good to pass up.) In the past I've had 4 cylinders (Rav4 & Corolla) and both were sufficient. I felt that the RAV4 was a little underpowered but they beefed up the engine in later years.
  • I've never bought a new car in my life and don't have any immediate plans to. There are many people who buy or lease a new car every 2-3 years whether they need to or not. So they eat the initial big depreciation and the rest of us get a deal. I recommend finding somebody in this category who is selling a car. For peace of mind, go with one that still has some warranty left on it. Say, < 3 years old and < 30,000 miles on it. HL as a used vehicle has good ratings from Consumer Reports for all years. I would avoid the first year (2001), though. I've been happy with my 2004 HL Limited. I bought it used but it was only 10 months old when I got it.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I agree with that train of thought on a typical American car, but not on a vehicle from Toyota or Honda. They depreciate so little the first couple years that, IMO, it doesn't justify buying used versus new.
  • Does anyone know why the new Highlanders have 215hp?
    My 2004 is listed at 230hp
    Is Toyota shorting us 15HP??

:mad:
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    There are new SAE horsepower standards in effect and lots of cars are getting revised numbers (mostly down slightly). Here's one recent post about it:

alan_s, "Toyota Avalon 2005+" #8589, 10 Sep 2005 1:12 am

Steve, Host
  • Just purchased 05 V6 FWD..there is a switch to turn on-off the trac-control option.I did try it while the engine running and there was no indication anywhere on the guages or the switch to know if it was on or off..If I turn the ign. off back on.the trac off light comes on on the guages no matter what position the switch is on...Any suggestions....Thanks.
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks to those of you who posted info about 4 vs. 6 cyl get-up etc. I test drove the 4 cyl and found the power to be sufficient, it was surprisingly peppy. This was a used 2004, and we will purchase a 2005 new though. Probably won't drive the v6 b/c I will want it instead, but am not willing to pay the gas prices!

Again, I am 6'3" and when I sat in the backseat of an '04 I found the leg-room to be fine, but the bench seemed to be missing a good 6 inches or so! Can anyone attest to the comfort of the backseat for long periods of time? I like a longer seat for more thigh support.

Thanks again for your help,
    Melissa :)
  • Well I have an '04 and the rear seat has extensive travel back and forth. Slide it all the way back and their is more leg room than I have ever seen in any car. The seat back also will recline which may help with the thigh support. Mine is a LTD and I don't know if this applies to a non-LTD
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Being short on thigh support is a common criticism by the car mags about the Toyota seats. Can't comment on how it would be for a long ride but if you noticed it on a test drive, it will only be more noticeable on a long ride.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    The back seat on a Base model is the same. Pleanty of comfortable room for my two teens.
  • Vascilating between ordering a Volvo V70 2.4 and HL 4cyl 2wd with 3d row for the Summer when I return to the US. Can't test drive either as I'm stationed at a remote location overseas - will probably send the extended family to try them out. Will supplement our Odyssey and eventually replace it, we hope.

Anybody tried putting a car seat and two slim booster seats in the 2nd row in the HL? It's a squeeze in my brother's V70, but better if you have the integrated boosters. My oldest daughter may or may not be out of booster seats by next summer - agewise and height yes, but in some states they've got to be 80 lbs... nowhere close - my kids are skinny and tall like their parents.

I understand the HL with 3d row seats has a fixed 2nd row seating position (true?). If so, how is the legroom in the 2nd row.

We aim to keep our cars for about 10 years, so so my 2 daughters will be teenagers, though they'll only get to ride with us on their vacations from the convent ;-) , and my Son will be 11 before we get rid of it.

Thanks
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    > I understand the HL with 3d row seats has a fixed 2nd row seating position (true?). If so, how is the legroom in the 2nd row.

No, that's not true. I have a 04 HL Ltd and both sides of the split 2nd row seat are adjustable.
  • I'm not very familiar with the Highlander in dash DVD navigation system. I have a few basic questions.

What does it do? Is it a DVD player for playing DVD movies and provides maps?

If it's a DVD player can you watch a movie while the car is not running?

Thanks.
  • mdchachimdchachi Posts: 275
    No, it just means that the navigation system uses a DVD to store its map data. I think it was marketed that way because it's an improvement over the old CD-based systems. But now since just about all systems are DVD-based it's probably confusing and unnecessary to use the term "DVD".

So, anyway, the navigation system is only used for navigation as well as controlling other vehicle functions such as climate and audio. The system is great. You always know where you are and it will guide you to your destination.

In vehicles that have a rear-seat-entertainment system (such as Sienna), the nav screen will display the DVD movie that is playing in the rear (as long as the vehicle is not moving). But this doesn't apply to the Highlander.

For a good audio/visual introduction to the navigation system go to toyotaiguide.com and select the Highlander Hybrid then select "Navigation System". The system is basically the same.