Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Miles on a Toyota 4Runner

I have a 4runner with over a 160000 miles on it run great how much longer you all think it will run.Its been well taken care of had everything it needs

Comments

• I have a high-mileage but well-maintained 1999 4Runner. It currently has 243,000 miles, uses about 3 oz of oil between oil changes (every 7,000 mi)--I use synthetic oil exclusively, the auto trans is perfect--I change the oil in the trans every 30,000 mi, routine maintenance is ALWAYS done as recommended, the sum total of "broken items": pinion bearing in rear axle at 185,000 mi, repair of the rear window open/close switch & broken wire in door at 181,000 mi, repair of wiring to trailer "plug". I've just replaced the rt-extension on the rear bumper due to corrosion. That's it! On my last set of Bridgestone tires I got 92,000 miles they were worn but not quite to the wear bars. I replaced them with another set.

There is zero rust on the vehicle which speaks well for Toyota's undercoating and paint system. I live in NE North Dakota were salt and sand are normal fare...

So, how long will this Toyota last? I plan on keeping it until it really starts to "cost" me...probably another 100K or so. Note, I have a good friend in Colorado who has 460K on his 1995 4Runner but his is a stick shift. He said he's about ready to "start" looking for a new one.
  • 9berg9berg Posts: 1
    I am just selling my 1993 4runner with 205k miles, but only because it got totalled three times in the past year (it still drives). I bought it at 138k, and did literally nothing except replacing a radiator hose ($88 inc. P/L) until I replaced most of the transmission and got hit with the water pump / timing belt at 195k.

The exterior, interior, and the engine all have been stellar. I had a volvo that died at about 320k miles (the odometer broke at 190k 12 years before it died) and I had no doubt that the 4runner would have lasted as long if it wouldnt have gotten totalled thrice.

BTW, if anyone in San Diego or Southern California wants to switch out wheels (stock upgraded alloys) and tires (bought last year), I could be persuaded to switch em out before I give it to the junkyard. try nienberg9@hotmail.com
  • My '91 has 297,000 miles on it, and the engine still runs well. However, I am finding that I need to do occasional replacements on it. In the last year and a half, I have had to put on a new starter, alternator, and clutch. Looks like I'm needing to do the power steering pump as well.
  • Hi wanted to ask you a question.
    I purchased a used 2001 two wheel drive 4runner. Do you know how long the timing belt lasts. It has 105k miles. Also , I also noticed that when I driving down the road, resting my hand on top of shifter (auto trainy), and I go over undulations in the road, I can feel shifter moving up and down slightly. Is this a problem or is it a character of a 4runner. Thanks for your reply, BRAD
  • Hi wanted to ask you a question.
    I purchased a used 2001 two wheel drive 4runner. Do you know how long the timing belt lasts. It has 105k miles. Also , I also noticed that when I driving down the road, resting my hand on top of shifter (auto trainy), and I go over undulations in the road, I can feel shifter moving up and down slightly. Is this a problem or is it a character of a 4runner. Thanks for your reply, BRAD
  • Wow,I have a 1997 4Runner with a V6 I bought new and it now has 115,200 miles on it.Changed the timing belt at 60,000 and no other money spent on the truck.It still looks good and runs strong.My wifes telling me to go out and buy a new truck. After reading these stories,I don't see any reason for going out and buying a new truck.I may as well drive it till the wheels fall off.Thanks guys.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590536
  • Hello,

I just purchased a 91 4runner for my daughter, and it has no manual in it. I failed to ask the seller how to open the rear door, because I saw the key location on the door. BUT, there must be a lever to pull or button to push inside, but i can't find it. Any help out there? Where can i find this? How can i get the back door to open?

Any help is appreciated :)
  • I just bought a 93 yesterday. If you have the electric rear window, insert the key, turn it to the right, and once open, reach inside the tail gate and pull the latch. The latch is located about where a tailgate latch would be on a regular pick-up truck, but inside.
  • I bought my 99 SR5 Sports new in June of that year. It had 15 miles on it. I had changed the oil every 3k miles, but for convenience sake started changing it every 5k after about 60k total miles. I have changed the timing belt and plugs at 60k. Currently, it has 102k on it and it runs like a CHAMP. I still love this truck. I have replaced the tires and a battery, NOTHING ELSE. IN fact, the brakes havent even been done (even the dealer is amazed). The 4Runner is not my primary vehicle these days; company car, plus a minivan for my wife towing the kids around. However, I plan to get another 100k enjoyable miles out of her. Besides the paint and leather interior are still in great shape. Best of luck and travels.
  • Hi Eveyone,

Can anyone enlighten me on some of the common issues you, or someone you may know have had with the engines in the 90 edition 4Runners?

Thank,
    SP
  • I have '97 4runner, bought it new, have 398,326 miles. purrs like a kitten. minor things replaced like> muffler, catalaytic converter, starter, alternator. frequent oil changes and tune ups it will last forever. if at all possible use whatever gas octane that is recommended by manufacturer.
  • bandit10bandit10 Posts: 27
    In my case for my 1998 4Runner V-6 the timing belt change is reccomened at 90,000 miles. If you know the person you bought it from ask them if was changed already. Also call the dealership and what the scheduled mileage change is for your belt or chain.. Timing belts are something to be taken serisouly when they go it will be very expensive to repair because of the damage factor. If you dealer the dealer where the car was purchased they have records of such service. If they don't ask for the reccomened mileage to change the belt or chain. My 98 has a belt, newer models I believe have a chain instead. It's definatly worth a phone call. These 4Runners can go upwards of 250,000 miles when well cared for. As for the vibration in the shifter handle on a rough road that's a very common thing. The transmission mount is absorbing the shock of the road and the vibration is coming from that. I hope this was helpfull.
    In my case for my 1998 4Runner V-6 the timing belt change is reccomened at 90,000 miles. If you know the person you bought it from ask them if was changed already. Also call the dealership and what the scheduled mileage change is for your belt or chain.. Timing belts are something to be taken serisouly when they go it will be very expensive to repair because of the damage factor. If you the selling dealer where the car was purchased they have records of such service. If they don't ask for the reccomened mileage to change the belt or chain. My 98 has a belt, newer models I believe have a chain instead. It's definatly worth a phone call. These 4Runners can go upwards of 250,000 miles when well cared for. As for the vibration in the shifter handle on a rough road that's a very common thing. The transmission mount is absorbing the shock of the road and the vibration is coming from that. I hope this was helpfull.
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    I bought my 2002 4Runner 4X4 new and currently have 88K miles. It is the last year of the "old" body style. I always loved the looks so I bought one before they changed the design. I just completed the 90K mile service, replaced all belts, fluids, battery, and water pump (not needed, but recommended by dealer). The only problem was the electronic antenna but it was due to my wife not putting it down prior to going through a car wash. The other problem is that the inside, driver's side, back door handle doesn't work.

I have been considering replacing the 4Runner, but only because of the miles on it. It is our main vehicle for long trips, and I am worried that it might break down some place without cell service when my wife and nephews are with me. I love the truck, and would not be replacing it for any other reason than peace of mind on long trips.

My question for the high mileage guys is this: Is this anything you would worry about in the 88K to 150K mileage range?

Thanks!
    Duke
    You've done a lot of good service to your 4Runner. And at the right time interval. Your Toyota can get more than 250,000 miles without a problem. Because people like you who follow the reccomened serviceing get many years and enourmous amount of trouble free driving. I saw one post on this site the person had over 400,000 miles on their 4Runner SR5 and still running strong without and engine replacement, or heads. It blew me away. As far as selling your vehicle, because of the door handles, I'd get get them repaired before I even considered selling this 4X4. The cost of repair out weighs the price of the trade-in loss in dollars. And you you'd be buying a new car you really don't need.The Sales Tax and Registration Fees and Increased Insurance Premiums for another new car would be more than the door handle repairs itself. Duke I would really give it some thought before selling. I love my 1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5, and intend to keep it for at least another 10 years. Ben
    Thanks for the reply Ben. I wasn't thinking of selling due to the door handle. I'll probably get that fixed soon, but even if I don't, cosmetically it is fine and I rarely use the door. When I do, I can always open it from the outside for anyone sitting back there.

I was thinking about selling it due to the 88K miles and it being our primary vehicle. But it seems from this forum and your post that I might just be at the break-in point now :)
  • steveknystevekny Posts: 6
    Duke-
    I've got an '00 with 140K miles, and the only big thing outside of routine maintenance that I've done was a new cat (bought a OEM from Toyota - ouch - on the advice of my mechanic friend who questions the quality of the cheaper aftermarket cats), and new shocks in the back (cheap and easy to install).
    Otherwise, the car is truly as good as new - I agree with your comment that yours, at 88K, is just broken in. The old body style is much nicer looking anyway, and like Bandit said, it's be a waste of $ to replace it now.
    Drive with confidence!
    -Steve
    Thanks Steve, and here's to many more years with no car payments!!! :shades:

I agree on the style. It has always been my favorite of the past couple of decades. The new 4Runner looks nice, but it looks more like an also-ran than the classic styling of the model we have. Of course the other SUV model I like is the range rovers from the 1960's, so I guess I'm a traditionalist.

Duke
  • tangmantangman Posts: 127
    I have a 1996 Sport with 215K miles and a 2004 Sport with 109K miles. Only repairs are normal service such as tires, and timing belt. On the 1996 I did change the front break pads. Amazingly, the 1996 is a 5 speed manual. Wish they made the new ones with a 5 speed.
  • Recently bought this 1995 car (six months) it has 380,000 miles on it - we were assured it has been well maintained,however, we truly thought there must be something wrong with the odometer since the car is in excellent shape. Everything on the car works and it has cold A/C. But after reading your forum perhaps the odometer is correct. To say the least "I am impressed"