Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Miles on a Toyota 4Runner

13»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,421
    fields97 said:

I'm original owner of my '97 4Runner SR5 with V6/ 4wheel drive. As of Aug. 2015 it's got 328,000 miles on original engine. I've been careful to get all recommended routine services done on time, incl. minor service (oil change etc.) every 5,000 miles. But we haven't baby'ed it; my husband routinely takes it on wilderness trips. Zero need for any significant repairs so far.
      My hero is a local guy with an '87 in perfect condition. Last time I saw him several years ago, he had over half a million miles on the original engine. I was just at the dealership where we both get service & they confirmed he's still going strong. So maybe 600k+ miles? I look at "next car" ideas sometimes, but what I really want doesn't exist: a new 4Runner just like my '97. (The 2015 with same name is much bigger with worse mileage than mine. Highlanders are about same size, but on car frame, so less sturdy, less clearance, etc.) So I'll keep driving mine until engine gives out. Then turn it into a shrine in the back yard. 
      I would love to know what the highest mileage record is for a 4Runner; anyone know?

That's awesome about your car.. your model 4Runner is my favorite.

I'm really surprised that the '87 hasn't rusted away... those were famous for disintegrating, over time.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fields97fields97 Posts: 2
    From the look of it, I'd say he's at least had it painted. Plus we live in very dry central valley of California, so rust... not so much. Sounds like you know your 4Runners. I just logged on here while trying to find what the highest known mileage is for a 4Runner. Any idea?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,421
    fields97 said:

From the look of it, I'd say he's at least had it painted. Plus we live in very dry central valley of California, so rust... not so much. Sounds like you know your 4Runners. I just logged on here while trying to find what the highest known mileage is for a 4Runner. Any idea?

Sorry, no idea.

I had a co-worker from 86-96 that had three or four 4Runners, plus a few 4WD pickups.. All of the body parts from the front door back would just disappear over time... But, they never quit running. Of course, we salt the roads, here.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

13»