Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOA Warranty Problems & Questions

1235»

Comments

• dbw001dbw001 Posts: 2
    Should I buy the extended warranty?

Should I buy any of the rust/undercoat/fabric packages that they have on sale for less than $200 each?

Thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd say no to the undercoating, rust proffing, and fabric protection.

Maybe to the warranty. The warranty includes roadside assistance for the entire duration, and we got one and dropped AAA. That offset about half the cost of the warranty, which made it worth it to us.
  • dbw001dbw001 Posts: 2
    Many thanks. They did a pretty convincing sell of the undercoating, etc and had a very reasonable price, so I almost went for it.

Will think about the warranty - I guess I can purchase it anytime before the current warranty runs out.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    the undercoating and rustproofing can actually make your factory warranty invalid if not applied properly or they drill holes etc to spray box sections.
    you can buy a can or 2 of Scotchgard and get the same fabric protection
  • Hi all,

I just traded in my 1995 Legacy wagon (I loved it) for a 2002 with 82,500 miles (yes, I know, a tad high for its years). I am debating on an extended 4 year/48,000 extended warranty which will tack on about $60 a month for life of loan (5 years). I do not drive a lot (1995 only had 110,000). My other option is a one year Subaru extended warranty on the Power Train for about $20/month (the 4 year is not a Subaru warranty). Any thoughts???? I have to decide by tomorrow.

The only problems I was beginning to encounter with my 1995 were due to age and rust (not body, but parts affecting suspension, exhaust, etc.) which were beginning to add up, thus the new car.

thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,454
    It might be worthwhile to get the extended Subaru powertrain warranty for a year, assuming the $20/month is only for the duration of that covered year, considering the possibility of head gasket issues. I would not opt for the non-Subaru warranty, as they tend to be more bark than bite, unless they are biting you in the rear. At $60/month, it sounds like a generous fleecing. $3600 (the amount you would pay over five years for the FOUR YEAR "warranty") is a fair chunk of maintenance change - an amount you are not likely to exceed during 60 months of low-mileage ownership including normal maintenance and occasional repairs. And, that amount you pay to the warranty would cover the non-maintenance portion only!

Even a head gasket replacement should not cost more than $1800 for the pair, and that is still half of your "budget!"

Good luck with the car!
  • thanks for the quick reply! Actually, the $20 is the life of the loan(!) as the total cost is about $1140 so I am even a bit hesitant about that. Considering that I had no engine or transmission trouble with my '95 and other costs were mainly wear and tear I do feel that the 4 year is not worth it. I definitely don't like paying for it PAST the year it covers! I guess if I'd had a lot of service issues I would not have bought another Subaru. A service tech commented that the 2002 is a newer line altogether than the 1995/97 and that the rust issues are not even as much of an issue.

Have you found/heard of head gaskets being a problem with these or was that just one of the more expensive problems and that is why you mentioned it?

thanks again!
    Ask if your 2002 model had the coolant conditioner added and find out for sure if it's covered by Subaru's head gasket warranty that they extended.

That's the most common problem by far. If Subaru will already cover that for the next couple of years.

If so I'd pass on buying longer warranty protection at all (and I have a Subaru Gold warranty, FWIW).
  • I will call Service and find out. Can you direct me to online info for this head gasket/coolant info? I did a search and found some unofficial sites but couldn't find anything on Subaru or NHTSA site (might not have been looking in right place on latter)

thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,454
    Yes, the head gasket problem was somewhat hit-and-miss by 2002, as they apparently updated gasket material at some point during that model year to help alleviate the high frequency of the problem. I would say it is the most likely large-dollar repair you are likely to face during the next 100,000 miles.

$20 for 5 years? With one year of coverage? Wow... quite a deal, there! Pass. Or tell them you'll pay $5/month over the loan for it. Unless there is an existing problem, they will still likely make money off it! And, if there IS an existing problem, they should pay anyway. If they scoff, ask them, "Why? No confidence in your own product? I only put a few thousand miles per year on my cars!" ;) :P
    I think they may have put a sticker under the hood near the radiator instructing mechanics to use the conditioner from that point on. You may see it when you pop the hood, if not ask them about it.

I don't have the URL for the HG issue because it has not affected any of the 5 Subarus in my family.
  • yeah, I definitely need to follow up on this. I am so glad I found out about it here. I did finally find the TSB on NHTSA site cooling link but it does not give any specific info. I also looked up the recalls so I can ask about them as well. The good thing is that the car only had one previous owner and it was (mostly) serviced by the dealer I bought it from so the service history should be accessible. This is also the same dealer where I had my old Subaru serviced so I DO have a longstanding (9 years) relationship with them - should account for something!!

on the warranty - yeah, I agree. I bought a Subaru for their reliablity ;)

thank you :D
  • So, we just purchased an 02 OB, and it has about 50k miles, if i remember correctly... we're scheduled to p/u wednesday, and we have to decide whether to take the extended warranty on it- it was 4 years/32 k miles, for $1500.... we originally thought, no.. but i see there are a few problem spots, and i am worried that we will regret not taking it....
    what would you do???
    Is it a Subaru warranty? Or an aftermarket one?

My concern is that at 50k miles, the bumper-to-bumper warranty already expired, so there might be a lot of exclusions, i.e. anything that may have developed between 36k and 50k miles.

With a lapse in coverage, it may not be worth it.

We do have a Subaru Gold warranty for our 2002 Legacy (though we've never used it).
  • i thiiink its aftermarket, despite being offerred by the guy at the subaru dealership.... he gave us a list of what it did cover, and couldn't give a list of what it didn't....

u think it did have an extended coverage that ends in a few months or something, so i dont think there'd be a lapse... does that change your suggestions??? m
    couldn't give a list of what it didn't

Why? Because it was too long? :D

I dunno. Subaru has a CPO program. I would search for a different car, or get that one and pass on the warranty.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.