Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

meredithmeredith Posts: 578
This topic is a continuation of TOPIC 1823....

The Dodge Durango Topic - III. Please continue
these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• jleadsjleads Posts: 2
    Looking into a 2000 Durango 4x4 with 4.7l engine. Would anyone with this setup be so kind as to disclose your best/worst gas mileage over an entire tank of gas. I'm very curious on this one. Everything I read about the Durango says, "Great SUV, but the gas mileage it atrocious". Is the 4.7L engine an improvement over the 5.2L?

Thanks!
    Jeff
  • nmcclungnmcclung Posts: 3
    I have the '00 w/3.55 rear. In the hills of NJ the best has been 13.5 mpg and 11.5 mpg. The truck is great, mileage is ehh. I may still be in breakin period. I put synthetic in and I believe it has increased.
  • drachirdrachir Posts: 5
    The link going back to Dodge Durango III is not
    correct. It should be Topic 1887, not 1823 as it
    is now. Can this be corrected?
    Thanks,
    Drachir
  • q8740q8740 Posts: 12
    Has anybody heard any new info on the rebates on the durango, somebody said 5/10 was the start date
  • linartlinart Posts: 1
    I was in the market for a SUV for my wife. I considered the Durango (for at least 15 seconds, I think). You see, I bought a new Dakota Sport in '97 and it has been an absolute piece of junk. The power steering shaft sheared while she was driving it at 5600 miles. Scary! After 5 tries, Dodge still can't fix the cruise control. A window fell apart two month ago (the dealer refused to fix it under warranty), and there have been other problems requiring replacement ranging from a failed belt tensioner and fan clutch to an unbalanced drive shaft - almost too many to mention here, so, fed up, I've finally initiated the arbitration procedure.

So what did I buy her? A loaded 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4 x 2, leather, sunroof, 6 CD Bose, memory seats, the works. It's got the exquisitely smooth 3.5L 24V 240 HP variable valve timing V-6 derived from the Maxima, (with steel timing chain, incidentally), not those archaic and thirsty pushrod Dodge engines that were born in the 60's and 70's (maybe excepting the 4.7). Yeah, the Pathfinder is a bit smaller, but you know what? 85 cu ft cargo vs. 88 on the Durango. Not a big deal. The Pathfinder is very quiet at cruise. The Durango rides like a noisy log wagon in comparison and it has the usual fall-apart Chrysler interior bits.

I'm a retired USAF test pilot, a practicing airline aero engineer and an FAA licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic. To me, Daimler-Chrysler and Dodge in my particular case, either haven't gotten the word or just don't care about the customer. They need to wake up to the reliability issues plaguing their vehicles. The need to learn that the man with the bucks in his grimy hand is King!
  • Got the confirmation from my contact at the dealer that the $1000 rebate is expected to be announced tomorrow. I have had my deposit on a 4.7L for three days and plan to pick up my DD in the a.m.

From the previous post, however, I don't know if I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train !
    Hey Mike,

What Dealer are you going through, I live in So. Cal. and still havent heard a word. I did advise carorder.com that the rebates are coming and they said if they announce them I will get them.

very cool since its there fault that they pushed my delivery time back two weeks and i would have already signed the deal if they were on time

Scott Q
    mquarantaca@earthlink.net
  • pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Posts: 22
    Well, good for you. Be pleased with your purchase, but I could easily slam your Pathfinder for the negatives but don't choose to do so. I can easily give you many pro's in favor of the Durango that certainly outweighed our decision to purchase anything else in the SUV market, within the same price range. Certainly looks are at the top of the list. BTW, try towing much with that "smooth 3.5L 24V 240 HP variable valve timing V-6." We've had our Durango three months now and with the lone exception of an electronic solenoid reading a wrong error code and being replaced, the truck has been spendid. Also, the dealership gave me a Dodge R/T as a loaner while my DD was in the service bay. The Dodge trucks have significantly improved over their past brethren. You got a bad truck and hopefully you'll gain through arbritration, although with the truck being 3 years old now, well, good luck.
    About the gas mileage. With the 4.7L and the 3.9 gearing, the best I've gotten is 15.4 and the worst is 11.7 mpg. The real problem is my inability to stay out of the Magnum V8. If you don't want the taller gearing for towing, stay with the 3.55's. BTW, you probably know you can't get the 5.2L in any of the 4WD setups.
  • mrboostmrboost Posts: 32
    Hi Folks

At 7K I am getting about 13.9 MPG City and 16.4 HW. This is distance/gallons, not from the computer. No problems at all with the D. Oh, I have the 5.9 with FT and 3.92 LSD. I run synthetics in the drivetrain except fot the tranny, which I will convert soon.

It has been very good so far and love the power.

Regards
  • mrboostmrboost Posts: 32
    How much money do you think Mr. Ghosn told his minions to shave out of each Nissan so the company can survive 13 Billion $$ they are in Debt?? How long before the Renault influence will be seen in Nissan's product line??

I wouldn't brag about Nissan's quality, if they were so good, why were they on verge of bankruptcy?

Regards
  • rcarbonircarboni Posts: 290
    linart,

Sorry to hear of your distress with the Dak. You are definitely the exception, as the Dak has proven to be a solid truck that just keeps getting better over the years. The loyalty of Dak owners is very strong because of the reliability and performance as proven by groups such as the Dakota Mailing List and the R/T group. This loyalty was a key reason why I choose a Durango.

I hope you enjoy your Nissan. I ruled the PF out immediately in my decision because I had commuted to work (100 miles daily) with a buddy in his '96 PF for about a year. Although I found the truck to be reliable with little mechanical failure, the ride was comparable to a VW micro-bus with the wind pushing the truck all over the road. I also felt that my proximity to the door and windshield was very tight, and did not convey a feeling of safety. I also felt this with the Isuzu Trooper. Additionally, this close proximity had the detrimental effect of the sun (which was always on my side) beating down on me constantly.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that OHC, multi-valve, variable-timing engines are so superior to pushrods. With 2.4 litres less in size, the PF is only getting 2 mpg better than a 5.9 Durango. You'll make that up on your first repair bill out of warranty. You've got a high-reving, cushy, grocery getter, and if that's what you wanted, then you're all set. I wanted low-end stump pulling power for a truck that's gonna work hard and not sit in the mall parking lot. Hopefully, we both got what we wanted.
  • ro5ro5 Posts: 2
    I know how the automatic rear view mirror is suppose to work.

my question is why its not working in my new durango; are any others having problems with it not working ? i'm begining to think that tinting in the rear windshield dims the lights behind you so mauch that the automatic mirror sensor is not picking up the bright light. if this is the case then maybe the automatic rear view mirror was a waste.
  • dwh6dwh6 Posts: 10
    I would like to echo my sympathy over the troubles you had with your Dakota. But it seems as if your vehicle was a lemon and you may have had a remedy under the Lemon Laws of your state (just about all states have them now, I believe).

My father is an executive with DC. He and my mother used to each get a new lease car every year and now get one every two years (the program rules changed). I also was able to participate in this employee lease program for a while (when I lived with them many years ago). As a result, I have had experience with many Chrysler products. My personal opinion is that Chrysler's quality these days is generally very good. Some vehicles have been worse than others in terms of annoyances (1998 Town and Country minivan just wouldn't stop squeaking in the rear end). And some have even had major mechanical problems (one car had a ticking in the engine that just wouldn't go away no matter what). But these were certainly the exceptions. There will always be people who have bad experiences in any consumer product.

You certainly are justified in not buying a DC product - if I were in your shoes I would hesitate also. But I just bought a 2000 Durango 5.9L that has 7000 miles on it and is solid as a rock. Next year I'll be getting a Chrysler LHS (or maybe I'll wait a couple years until the new hemi 300 is released!). You can disagree, but the styling of DC products is the best of any manufacturer in its price range. Japanese cars all look the same and Ford and GM are just plain ugly, in my opinion.

I'm happy with my purchase and am glad you are too.
    I called Dodge this morning and confirmed that a $1000.00 rebate on all durangos is effective today thru July 5, 2000.

Scott Q
  • larryb9larryb9 Posts: 2
    When driving my 99 DD 5.2 I sometimes hear a clicking sound in the transmission(auto) in drive or reverse with OD on or off. It sound similar to a fan hitting on the fan cover. Trans must get warmed up for it to be noticed. This does not happen all the time but the two times last fall when I was towing my boat with OD off it happened and this bothers me. The sound goes away when you shift into park or neutral. The Dodge dealer here found and heard nothing when I took it in. They said bring it in when it is happening which is not that easy to do as they are usually not open when I am driving. Anyone heard or experienced this? I don't want trans problems when towing a boat this summer. Boat and trailer are about 4200 lbs.
  • drachirdrachir Posts: 5
    I have a 1999.5 Pathfinder that we are going to
    trade in real soon for a 2000 Durango. We got the
    PF a year ago and have loved it, but when it comes
    to towing power, it just does not have it! We have
    a 19' Travel Trailer that weighs 3600#, and we
    can't get over 45-50mph on small hills with the PF. We are taking the trailer on short trip this
    weekend, with the PF, and some real good hills,
    6% grade over 3 miles long, we'll see how badly
    it does. Nissan makes a real quality and safe
    SUV, but even the new engine is not good for
    raw towing power, not near enough torque!

We are thinking about the DD w/ 4.7 V-8 & 3.92
    rear end gearing, in and SLT 4x4 DD. Can anyone
    give me some advise on towing with that engine
    and gear ratio. I don't really want to pay the
    price at the pump and have to go with the 5.9
    and 3.92 rear end. If I have to I will, I need
    to tow this trailer with relative ease.
  • captain13captain13 Posts: 10
    My dealer in so. Wisc. confirmed the $1000 rebate today also. They didn't know anything about it when I asked late last week, (after reading about it here). Thanks again numbers1guy. I'm picking up my SLT on Sat. Is it normal for the rebate to be applied after taxes?
  • Glad I waited a week for the rebate to kick in. Picked up my 4.7L this a.m. So far so good (except this guy almost backed into me after having the car off the lot for only 10 minutes !!)

My rebate was applied after the taxes. The pre-printed sales contract has a line for it in the down-payment section after all fees are applied.

Captain13, I am obviously happy to get the rebate, but as I told my wife, I am just as happy that someone else out there in Cyberland could benefit too. That was the reason to post in the first place and the reason to follow up with more info. Good luck with your purchase.
  • pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Posts: 22
    I've got the 4.7L with the 3.92 rear gearing, as well as the FT4WD. It will pull your trailer with very little difficulty. I don't really see why most 2000 4WD DD owners would opt for the 5.9L unless they get the R/T or do A LOT of heavy duty pulling. My only recommendation, besides the towing package (of course), is to get the limited slip. Good luck.
  • cwofergcwoferg Posts: 78
    My Durango has left the factory headed my way, Should be 2-3 weeks. LUCAJA, have you got yours yet?