Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but the dealer has the ability to plug a "recorder" into your PCM to trace problems that occur sporadically. Maybe you need to remind them of this.

BTW, this sounds like a loose connection to the PCM. Have you verified that all three connectors are completely inserted and "locked" in place?
  • Has anyone out there had a problem with their D shifting from 1st to 2nd gear? I'm on my 2nd 00,4x4,4.7l, 3.55 in 5 months. (The 1st one had other tranny prob's and they agreed to give me a new one). Both seemed to have occasional struggles getting into 2nd. The tranny seems to kick or "hiccup" when its trying to shift. It dosn't matter if I'm accelerating slowly or fast or if its cold or warm. Is this normal for these vehicles? Should I just shutup and live with it?
  • I recently purchased a 2000 Durango SLT, 4.7 and am having a problem. I've read most of the postings looking for anyone with a similar situation and posting #15 is one example that sounds sort of like my situation. Since my purchase a few weeks ago I'm hearing a rattling noise coming up from my defrost vents on top of the dash. I've had it in twice but the service guys said they can't hear it. I even drove with them. Almost every passenger I've had in it can hear it. Maybe I need a service guy with younger ears.

It occurs when I hit a higher rpm and continues from 40mph and above. It is a real high frequency but very audible. The rattle doesn't change speeds it stays the same at a fast paced rattle in sync with the engine rpm increase. When I take off the gas it goes away only to come back again. I'm thinking it is something in the engine rattling against the frame closest to the dash. I've popped the hood and looked but am not sure. My next move is to put sponges in between any engine part and the frame to see what that does. Not sure what else to do. I'll drive this sucker to Detroit if need be and have the quality control experts figure it out.
  • I recently purchased a 2000 Durango SLT, 4.7 and am having a problem. I've read most of the postings looking for anyone with a similar situation and posting #15 is one example that sounds sort of like my situation. Since my purchase a few weeks ago I'm hearing a rattling noise coming up from my defrost vents on top of the dash. I've had it in twice but the service guys said they can't hear it. I even drove with them. Almost every passenger I've had in it can hear it. Maybe I need a service guy with younger ears.

It occurs when I hit a higher rpm and continues from 40mph and above. It is a real high frequency but very audible. The rattle doesn't change speeds it stays the same at a fast paced rattle in sync with the engine rpm increase. When I take off the gas it goes away only to come back again. I'm thinking it is something in the engine rattling against the frame closest to the dash. I've popped the hood and looked but am not sure. My next move is to put sponges in between any engine part and the frame to see what that does. Not sure what else to do. I'll drive this sucker to Detroit if need be and have the quality control experts figure it out.
  • When you are negotiating with a dealer, do you let them know other quotes you have gotten from other dealers ??

ALSO is this a good deal --> 2000 R/T Black fully loaded, with Off-Road Pkg ( Brush guard , etc) and sunroof for $33200
  • I would like to put a brush guard on. How much does that cost if you get that from the factory? Also can hella lamps be put on these, because i would like too. Thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    (captain13) All I can tell you is that the 4-speed automatic especially made for the 4.7L hemi engine is "special".

By that, I mean that it is a COMPLETELY NEW DESIGN that uses a unique "learning" process. This xmission needs time to figure out your driving habits and "learn" how to shift according to your habits. (Sharing the vehicle between drivers with differing habits keeps it thoroughly confused.)

Since the 4.7L with 4-speed autmatic has been available on EXACTLY 3 VEHICLES (Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dakota and the Durango) It has been relitivly easy to review the EDMUNDS forums and determine that this xmission is "troublesome"
    ... I orderd the 5-speed manual xmission!
  • Looking to replace the noisy badyears on my wife's 98 Durango SLT. Any recommendations? Tirerack suggested the Michelin LTX-MS or LTX-AT. Mostly, I'd like to find a good tire for the snow, while dropping the noise level down as much as possible. These badyears are really noisy as all get out. Any thoughts would be helpful. You may also feel free to re-direct me to a FAQ if one exists for this topic.
  • Hey "Bluestreak",

Try the following site. It is the Durango Owners Club who have over a 1000 members. This link should take you straight to the forum page. The Michelin tire has been used on a few of the D's with much praise. Talk to the tirerack guy and let him know your driving style (On of Off-Road Mainly) the AT tire may not be advantages for you. When I called them they directed me towards the LTX "S" rated tire over the "H" Rated. S is suppose to give better snow handling and H is better for rain. Hope this helps.

Eric S.

http://www.durangoclub.com/ceilidh/xframe.html
  • Thanks for the transmission info. I had read about
    the tranny and 4.7l being new and matched to each other. I don't think the learning system is totally unique to this vehicle however. A mechanic once told me that my 94 Camry "learned" my driving habits and adjusted itself to deliver maximum performance based on how I drove. I assumed that since two identical 00 D's did the same thing that it probably wasn't anything to be too concerned about. I have been deliberately trying to drive at different speeds etc. to give the engine a good break in. I'm sure that is confusing the heck out of the system.
  • A buddy of mine with a 00 Dakota RT had a noise similar to yours, sounded like it was coming from the glove box area. Turned out to be the transmission dip stick rattling in its holder. Only happened at certain rpms, speeds.

Also, just had my 99 Durango, 5.9, 4X4 in the shop for 9 days with overheating problems. Gage would go to full hot for a few seconds, then drop very quickly back to normal. Dealer cited a TSB on the cooling fan, but didn't sound like a cooling problem to me, sounded electrical. Anyhow, finally ended up replacing the PCM. Fixed now, best we can tell. By the way, when I got the car back, it was filthy (9 days in the back lot!), and had coolant sprayed all around the engine compartment. I complained to the service guy, got no response, so complained to the manager over the phone. After 7 weeks, got a call from the general manager apologizing, and offering to give me a car wash. No wonder Dodge rates at the bottom of the dealer ratings!

Finally, has anyone put a RT muffler on a standard Durango? My buddy gave me his muffler, he put on a Flowmaster (very loud!). Thoughts?
  • abaltoabalto Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
  • I bought a 99 Durango in May of 1999, (5.2L, 4X4). My wife and I loved it! Loved it so much that to date (October 2000), we have about 43,000 miles on it. We had gotten an extended warranty on this vehicle, but at the rate we were going, we figured that the warranty would run out by the end of this year. We decided to buy a new 2001 Durango.

First of all, let me say, I think Dodge has done a good job refining the interior of the vehicle. The construction worker grade of the control panel has been softened with features such as dual climate control as well as a redesigned rear ac unit. As far as we were concerned, this was going to be our new vehicle.

The Sunday before we were to start looking, I was driving from San Antonio to Austin (about 90 miles door to door). A few miles into the return leg of our trip, the brake light came on, followed quickly by the ABS light, and the speedometer and odometer stopped working. The following day while driving the truck to a nearby dealer, the Check Engine light came on. After spending a week in the shop (and paying for a week of car rental), I got the D back. Wife picked it up, so I'm still not sure what the exact problem was. Anyway...

TWO DAYS later I am again returning from San Antonio to Austin. This time we hit stop and go traffic on the highway. Everytime I came to a stop, I heard a loud grinding noise upon takeoff. Flooring the engine barely made the Durango creep. However, putting the vehicle into 1st gear felt and sounded fine. I drove back home shifting like a manual, using the "D" gear selection as third gear. This morning, my wife said that she didn't hear the same grinding noise, but now the check engine light is on again. Back to the shop and another week of renting!

BTW, when I originally put the car in the shop, I spoke to the dealer about trading it in and buying a 2001. He actually had the nerve to tell me that because of the warning lights on the dash, they were a little concerned about the vehicle and were not going to give me the full resale value (despite the fact that there is still approximately 15,000 miles to go on the warranty. If the Dodge dealer is not willing to stand behind his own vehicle, why should I? I am getting it fixed and selling it off this week. The Durango obviously does not hold its resale value and I do not want to be stuck in this same position again 3 years down the road. I will probably be getting a Chevy Tahoe to replace it.

Did I love my Durango? Sure I did.
    Did it serve me faithfully? Yup.
    Will I recommend it to a friend. No way!!
  • somarsomar Posts: 1
    This is the 3rd time my 2000 Durango looses control on a 100 degree turn on my way to work, but unfortunately this time I hit a column. I am the most careful driver and I was behind other cars,that like mine had to stop at the trafic light before making the turn. Yes, the road was a little wet, but I had SUV's before and nothing compares with this. The damage was about $2,500 (at about 20 miles per hour) and the airbags did not deploy. Any ideas anyone??
  • These topics here sound like the Tahoes, Suberban, Exploer, Excursion, Toyota...etc..sos
  • I've never had an accident with my 98 but I have found my rear end sliding out behind me when turning at a stoplight with wet pavements. It doesn't take much on the gas to cause this either. These happened when lights turned green so I wasn't going very fast either. I've got the 3.92 rear end which I'm sure contributes to this but also increased power of the V8 and possibly the Goodyears are factors. The handling is good on dry pavement but while in turns on wet pavement I have to be extremely careful. It doesn't take much. Other than being careful with the gas while it is wet outside I can't see much else on what to do except except maybe trying different tires out but that seems a bit excessive. Of course, between the cost of new tires and a $2,500 repair bill maybe it isn't.

Kerry
  • At 54,000 my wheel bearings went out on my 98 Durango, luckliy it's covered under my extended warranty. Has anybody else had this problem? I have never had wheel bearings go out on any vehicle. The dealer had to order the parts, so we are waiting to get them replaced. Plus they say they have a new and improved PW motor that they will also be putting in. The windows have been an on going problem since day 1.
  • jb58jb58 Posts: 1
    Please visit our forum located at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/dodgedurangoclub

This very popular forum currently has over 120+ members -- internationally -- and we're growing. Members post daily to discuss (and sometimes argue) Durangos and other vehicle issues. We also have an incredible photo album for you to post photos of your D once you join the forum.
  • I just lost my second wheel cap on my Durango since I bought my 98. The wheels are the nicer alloy ones instead of the chrome wheels. They have the rams head logo. I wanted to see how many other people have lost their's. After spending around $15 for each of them I'm starting to get a little upset since it was no fault of my own. I don't run over curbs or do anything that may knock them off. These cheap little plastic pieces (as in quality not price) just give up their grips on the wheel and loosen up. I'm about to write a letter to Chrysler about it and I kind of wanted to see how much of a problem it is before I wrote the letter. It seemed like it may be a problem just from talking to the parts guy at the dealership. He claimed you have to make sure the area is clean otherwise the teeth won't grip the wheel but he dirt there instead. Sounds bogus to me but mine have been clean anyway when I put the caps on. Thanks,

Kerry
  • I am looking at a 2000 Durango 2WD with SLT Plus package, 3rd row seating, Anti-spin differential axle, rear a/c, 2-tone paint, custom running boards, custom wheels, and LCD DVD. The dealer is asking for $34,000.

Is this a good price? Do you think I can find a better deal?

Thanks.