Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• awardlawawardlaw Posts: 2
    I purchase a '01 Durango about 2 months ago. It has a 4.7, 4 x 2. I have noticed that the passenger seat has sideways movement when brakes are applied. The dealership has put new seat runners in and it still moves. I was told that this is common for Durango's? Has anyone had this problem. I have also noticed that when I am sitting a red light that the rpm's reduce considerably(as if the engine were going to cut off). Has anyone had this problem, or know what is wrong. Or maybe this is normal?????
  • ywilsonywilson Posts: 135
    The seat problem is unfortunately a common problem with the D. I have heard of many with it. As for the low idle, once the truck has been driven I think it is 500+ miles then the rpm's will drop a little. It is designed this way for fuel economy. It should not however stall on you.
  • socal007socal007 Posts: 23
    Any info re: the possibilty of the new Hemi for the Durango ??
  • cpbillcpbill Posts: 2
    To ywilson, what is an H valve?
    socal007: I have heard that there is a hemi 4.7 coming out. It has been in the DC news outlets. As for when, I don't know exactly.

cpbill: The H valve is part of the A?C system. I have read about troubles with it in Durangos on the Durango club website. It does everything from getting clogged to cracked at times. I have not had the trouble that others have had. If you would like more info go to www.durangoclub.com and they have all the info you want in the archives.
  • slalsdslalsd Posts: 1
    Currently knocking around the idea of either purchasing the SUV "Durango" or Toyota's pick-up "Tacoma" I realize I should be comparing "dakota" to "Tacoma" or "Durango" to "4runner", but These are my price ranges. Any input would be welcome from any angle.
    I have looked at all of your choices. My opinion is a little biased because I have a Durango. However, think of what your needs are. You may need the open back of a pickup for work or recreation reasons. I chose the D because it satisfied what I needed it for. Do you offroad? Do you need 4x4? Just check out what you need and what really floats your boat and go for it. The D is strong, can haul alot and is a good long trip driver. That's my humble opinion of course. I like the closed in section in case I have to haul more people. They can sit in the third row seating and not get wet or cold or whatever.
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    The new hemi is a 345 HP 5.7 that will replace the 5.9. It will debut in the new 2500/3500 pickups and then will eventually be offered in the next generation Durango. They is also supposed to be a 270 HP 4.7 being offered in the JGC.

Don't be too quick to dimiss the Dakota. It all depends on what your needs are, but the Quad cab is a really nice family truck. The Tacoma may lack some room in the rear seat in comparison.
    I agree totally. The Dakota is a great vehicle. I almost bought one instead of the D but I was won over by the D. Think of the dakota as like the Sporttrac. The Dakota does have more inside room and is a nice family hauler. I wonder if they can swap my present 4.7 for a new 270 HP 4.7? I would like that!!!!
  • i_snyderi_snyder Posts: 3
    I have a ‘99 D SLT Plus with the towing package and trying to tow my 3,500 lbs. boat. I took a vacation one month later to pick up my boat and on the way back is when I first noticed the problem.
    The problem I have been having is that the engine has a knocking sound, like a chain hitting it, and the check engine light flashes every once in awhile. The check engine light flashing had started happening more often in the summer of 2000 when I was towing my boat on the highway and had to pull off the highway and became worse in the summer of 2001. The first time I mentioned this problem to the dealer in 1999, they said that they couldn’t recreate the problem and that I should put a higher Octane fuel in it. I then tried putting 93 octane in the D and it didn’t seem to be as bad but it was still there. I was putting 87 octane in it since the owners manual stated that I should use 87 and that using a “premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance”. The next year (2000) the problem was still there and getting worse. The dealer then told me that they were waiting for a program for the engine. I then would call the dealer multiple times to see if they had received the program and every time they were still waiting for it.
    In 2001 It got much worse, so I took it to the dealer and they told me that they couldn’t find anything wrong or couldn’t even recreate the problem. I then, being frustrated, towed my boat in to the dealer and took a Technician for a ride. The Tech. was able to feel & hear the knocking and was even able to see the Check Engine light come on. When we got back to the Dealership he was able to read an error code that said Cylinder #8 was misfiring. They were unable to take the D in at that time so they scheduled a new time to take it in. When I took it in they couldn’t read any error code, like they always told me in the past even though the check engine light had come on, so they said that this time they had a program and were able to upgrade the software in the D. The day after I got it back, I left for Vacation. While towing the boat there, the knocking and Check Engine light was still a factor. When I was on my way home, the Check Engine light came on, stayed on and I lost power. The light had stayed on for two days. I was getting frustrated with this so I spoke with someone at another dealer but By the time the dealer was able to take the Durango in, the Check Engine light had gone off. The dealer then looked at it and couldn’t find any error codes. I told the Tech. about what the other dealer had done and said about the D. and he looked over the same things and checked some other things but still couldn’t find anything wrong.
    I started speaking directly to “DiamlerChrysler Motors Corporation National Customer Relations” and to the dealer to try and solve the problem. Chrysler told me that a Chrysler Engineer would speak with the dealer. Nothing was ever solved.
    I filed for the Arbitration law and they denied it saying that the problem wouldn’t cause death. If they can’t figure out what the problem is, how do they know it won’t cause a fatality? Spending $31,000 on a truck to tow, I would expect that I could tow my boat. I am now having the problem while accelerating without towing.
    Sorry so long, but I would appreciate some help if anyone knows anything about this problem..
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    If you have the tickets where they checked the problem, you have a good case for getting a settlement. I would first find a top notch mechanic and see if he can isolate the problem. Once you can locate the problem, get an estimate of the repair. Then get on the line to DC and let them know that its repair or sue.
    Thank you for responding!
    I have all of the paper work of when the D was taken into the dealer. All of that info. has been submited to the the company that handles the Arbitration. I have contacted the #1 lemon law Attorney in my area and he is charging $500 just to hear my case and then $2,500 if he thinks this is a good case. Does this sound reasonable? I have never delt with an Attorney before.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,860
    Many attorneys will give you a free or cheap initial consultation. Then they'll quote you what the case should cost based on what your personal situation is. You may want to ask around some more or ask the local lawyer referral service to give you a few names to contact.

Any lawyers here think $500 "just to hear the case" is reasonable?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mm6759mm6759 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Durango and I'm looking for some really neat/cool floor mats for it. I don't want the average plan floor mats with nothing on them.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions where I might find some? Thanks
  • glock40glock40 Posts: 8
    First I was wondering if any knows if its common when turning the wheel all the way to the left or right and hearing a snapping or cracking type sound from the front end when making the sharp turn.. Is that normal? What could be the cause?

Second I was thinking about upgrading from 16" rims to 17" or 20". Will that improve my ride?What are the benefits or problems with doing so.

Also how can I improve my fuel mpg? I have a 4.7 that gets an 12.8 avg. Suggestions beside laying off the gas and speed!
    The best way is to increase the amount of air to the system/engine. An intake and perhaps a catback system are in order. www.intenseperformance is great for intakes and your muffler choice should be IMHO a Flowmaster or Dynomax muffler. Look around and see if you have some muff. shops in your area to judge in person the exhaust side. Your mileage may decrease however due to the fact that these mod's will increase your inability to keep your foot out of it.
    I believe your problem is with oil sludging. If you have the 5.2 liter engine then you should definitely look into this. There are many complaints with that engine and some have won arbitration due to this fact. Chryco will try to deny it but look at www.durangoclub.com and you will find more answers there. There is also a problem with the intake manifold gasket coming loose. Check this also. Even though there are many that have absolutely no problems with our D's this is one with that engine that Chryco must address.
    They had thought that it was my intake manifold but both dealers checked it and said it was fine. If it was the oil sludging, how would I be able to tell. I have my oil changed every 3,000 miles and no one has told me that the oil looks bad.

I will try www.durangoclub.com for more info. and keep everyone interested up to date.
    Well one way I have heard is to take something like a popsicle stick or a tool similar in shape and take off the breather hose on the valve cover. Try to do a light scrape on the inside and see what comes out on the stick. If it is dry and granular like, you have sludge. It could be in the lower galleries though. Have the shop pull your valve covers also and see what is on the inside of them as well as the inside of the oil pan when they drain the oil.
  • nivek2univek2u Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Has anyone ever had air problems with there durango? I have a 2000 dodge durango with continuous air problems the dealer has replace the compressor at least 8 times. The air temperature coming out of the left front vent is about 65-75 degrees. They have installed larger fans in the engine compartment in hopes that this would solve the problem. They have at one point replaced the whole air system. Hoping some one might have had the same problem and figured out what was going on.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Posts: 464
    I've got a 2000 DD also and the only problems I've ever had with the A/C is that the vents that serve the rear are at a radically different temperature than what I have the settings at.

On another note, I just got my truck back after having to have the rear differential reconstructed and both upper and lower ball joints on the front replaced. From what my mechanic has told me, the ball joint thing is a problem with the Durango. The differential was a disappointment and surprise since I don't tow anything and rarely carry anything heavy enough to tax the thing. I've had the truck 18 months and it has been in the shop for almost 3 of them.
    Sorry to hear about your problem with the rear end. I just had mine serviced with 63,000 on it. Oil, power steering flush, rotation and an alignment. I have no bad things to report after my mechanic checked her all out. I synthed my diff's early in her life with Mobil1 synth and have had no problems. It is about time I get rid of the Badyears. It looks like they are DRYROTTING aroung the blocks. I could not believe it when I saw it. I am going to replace with Yokohama Geolander AT+II's. I have a friend that swears by them.
    I really enjoy the truck so the time spent in the shop is a disappointment. My tires are doing the same thing. I really, really hate those tires. I understand that they're wide, but because the sipes don't go all the way down you hydroplane on water and float on snow. I went to the Durango club website to find out about tires, but was frustrated with the format/layout. Let me know what you think about the Yoko's. I'm open for suggestions on this one and I'm considering almost more of a passenger tire rather than an all-terrain tire because of the use I need.
    You may want to look around the ever popular Tires, tires, tires discussion too.

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks for the post. I have the thread bookmarked and read it everyday. I've asked that question a couple of times a long time ago and didn't want to sound like I was "going fishing" for more suggestions.
    Actually I skimmed over the post title and was thinking Ywilson would be interested in the tires board, but directed that message at you. I do remember seeing you over there :-)

Steve
    Host

• pmcee44pmcee44 Posts: 6
    I'm looking for a 2002 R/T. I'm from LA originally and grew up with throaty sounding hot rods for several years (never mind how many !!). The R/T is a very cool looking/sounding SUV and the pricing is better than my other choice (Yukon/Tahoe). Incentives are good and a 7yr/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty is now available for no extra $$$. Yeah - they are not the same size, but I have only one child and don't need the biggest vehicle. Like others, I am concerned about quality issues with the Durango - I don't read nearly as much negative stuff regarding the GMC products.

Anybody have 2 cents' worth of advice - I'm coming off a 1999 BMW Coupe lease, so I am changing my vehicle perspective considerably.............:-)

Thanks !!!
    The Durango is a nice vehicle as long as you remember that it is a truck (and especially not a BMW coupe :) ). I've had worse than bad luck with repairs on mine, so I won't go there. Don't get the 5.9L (I don't think it's available anymore). It's a pig on gas and performance isn't any better unless you're pulling the QE2. I really like the size and the added convenience of the third row seat.

I would suggest you get the rear A/C unit (one just doesn't seem to be enough for the rear on really hot days), as big of brakes with ABS that are available (mine is short on brakes often, it's a big and heavy truck), third row seat (your child will thank you so they can invite ALL of their friends), 4.6L engine (good performance with far better gas mileage)and replace the OE tires (the Goodyears are absolutely awful for traction, hydroplaning and ride). I hope this helps and good luck.
    I have a 2000 with the 4.7. I have just turned 63,000 miles with absolutely no problems to report. DC stopped making the 5.2 engine not the 5.9. The 5.9 is in the R/T and as an option on other models. If I were looking for another D I would definitely go with the 4.7. I don,t know how you like the total options but I got mine with not alot of them. To me it is just another way to jack up the price for something I really don't need. I like utility. It seems that alot of options is just something else to break and fix down the road. As for tires I will let you know. I went to the Tire Rack web site and they have a good selection with excellent prices from what I have seen. I think I will burn down these Badyears until the Fall and then exchange them. I don't do alot of 4 wheelin but when I do Ilike to have much fun. I hope we get alot of snow this year/winter.
    No, I do have the 5.9L Magnum. I checked the window sticker and on the vehicle itself. I'm also going to probably run my tires through the summer, but I'm going to look for somebody to cut in some sipes to help the hydroplaning.
This discussion has been closed.