Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• you gotta have it - for resell if nothing else. just sold my 98 myself and every remotely interested buyer wanted 1. 3rd sear, 2. rear air..all else was secondary, but it had to have these 2 to have them even come look.
  • I recently got rid of my 99 dodge durango due to the Florida lemon law, however, I felt Chrysler was very cooperative and gave me no problems whatsoever, Yet, I recently heard that they will no longer be manufacturing Durango's any longer, does anyone know if this is true?
  • ...glad I read up on .... I'm coming out of a Land Rover and can't go through this BS again. Good luck w/ all that
  • tom_tom_ Posts: 25
    Someone mentioned the discontinuation of the Durango. It is not true. The next generation Durango is due summer 2003.
  • brillo3brillo3 Posts: 2
    Am getting prices for 2001 D SLT plus for around $400 over invoice. Anyone with any feedback
    regarding this is good, average, or can it be better? Any recent buyers input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Posts: 262
    Been seeing ads around the Milwaukee Area for 0% financing and up to $3000 rebates
  • brillo3brillo3 Posts: 2
    I am in Colorado. Incentives quoted here are 1.9% or $2000 rebate.
  • billtungbilltung Posts: 255
    Until 6 month ago, I have added another Hyundai's Santa Fe (look a little bit like Durango, for its strong in & out style). The SaFe (Santa Fe short name) just ranked the top safest new 2001 compact SUV in the front 60km crashtest tested by the IIHS.
    The SaFe also ranked the most satisfaction SUV recently in.....

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/04-30-2001/0001481544

So if u are worry about the gas milages if you don't haul & often go for long trips then u can consider also added this America best value SUV(only cost me less than CDN$29k to get a fully loaded).... just like me ... using it for my delivery job. I get more stares & glances than my Durango. I will keep both SUV in my Garage until ......something really can convince me to sell this 2 beasts!

-Bill
  • qdkimqdkim Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 2001, 4x4, 4.7L Durango, have test driven a few in Colorado and noticed wind noise in one of them the rest were fine. I like the looks, ride and engine power but to be honest looking at all the messages here scares me. can someone give me an honest advice on whether to buy it or not?
    Also the price for the same optionals varies largely among the Denver dealers, does someone know of a good dealership in Denver?
    We are on our 2nd D, 1st one was a 98, now we have a 01, my wife drives this as a daily driver and it's been great so far. We have the 4.7 with 3.55 Limited Slip rear end, in town averaging right around 16, on the highway been as high as 20, but averaging 18, 19. We bought the extended warranty offered by the dealer, mainly because of all the electronics in todays vehicles. Ours is a SLT Plus, loaded out. Every vehicle will have problems and there's always the chance to get a lemon. But you gotta understand, people come to this board to mainly complain about their vehicles. The most important factor is to find a dealer that will help you with any problem that arises with your purchase for as long as you own it. To find a dealer that stands behind their product, is like finding a needle in a haystack. Look thru the boards, the number 1 complaint is the dealer. To really find out about Durangos, take look at this site

http://www.durangoclub.com Good luck on whatever you decide on.
  • qdkimqdkim Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot, I visited the web site and found some interesting stuff. I am sure even new cars can have problems specially manufacturing defects. I have recently moved from Europe and have owned/driven a number of makes and models, mostly japanese and european. I would really like to buy an american car now that i am here. As Regards dealerships i have had a wide variation in price quotes for the same make and model which makes me nervous, i will go with the lowest offcourse but hope it doesn't mean a compromise on service.
    You might want to go to Kellys Blue Book print off the retail & invoice prices of the Durango, so you know if the dealer is in the ball park. Try an online quote dealer, they usually give a good deal, then get a copy of the quote and see if a dealer close to you will beat or match it.
    I hear the rebates have been extended to July for the Dakota, so I expect the Durango is the same. Good Luck on your purchase.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I'm strongly considering a 2001 SLT and am interested in AWD and 4 wheel ABS. Does anyone have an opinion about the relative benefit of AWD vs. 4X4 with the Durango?

Specifically, how does the Durango AWD compare to "on-demand" systems offered by Subaru, the Acura MDX, and GM vehicles with Versatrak (Aztek and Rendezvous)?

Also, how reliable has the Durango AWD transaxle proven to be?
  • gz927gz927 Posts: 1
    Durango does not come with AWD. What they have as an option is full time 4 wheel drive.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,957
    Dodge adding Durango gas-electric hybrid in 2003

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sr_bodysr_body Posts: 23
    Daimler Chrysler labeled it AWD for simplicity. DC's market research concluded that everyone knows what AWD drive is, but still equate the term "4 wheel drive" with being for off-road use only.

--FEDLAWMAN--
    The Durango's drivetrain system is a full-time 4-wheel drive system because it meets these 3 criteria:

3 differentials
    lo-range
    The 3 diffs are "open" to allow for turning on dry pavement.

All 4 of the Durango's wheels are always being driven by the engine(hence the term "full-time"), as opposed to the "On Demand" type where only 2 wheels are being driven 99.9% of the time and only engage the other wheels when slippage is detected.

It's 4WD system is far superior to the "on-demand" systems because it also has the ability to lock all 4 wheels together and spin all of them at the same rate for maximum traction on low traction conditions
    Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between the Durango and a couple "crossover" vehicles with on-demand systems.

Do you think MPG and reliability (wear and tear)suffer because all four wheels are being driven all the time? How does the full-time system handle turns on dry pavement?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Q1:
    There was a discussion on the Durangoclub forum on whether there was an MPG difference between 2WD & FT4WD. I just so happen to have an older Durango with both 2WD & full-time 4WD. I was also curious, so I experimented by spending 6 weeks driving in 2WD & another 6 weeks driving in FT4WD. There was no difference in MPG between the two modes because the same amount of mechanical hardware is moving whether the truck is in 2WD or FT4WD mode. However, there is a noticable power loss (21HP-verified on a DynoJet 4 wheel chassis dyno) when the truck is in FT4WD mode. I keep it in FT4WD so I don't have to worry about traction when it rains. The Durango is notorious for swinging the rear end out when making turns on wet pavement in 2WD mode.

The on-demand type drivetrains get better gas mileage because not all the mechanical hardware is being turned by the engine all the time. They only turn as needed. Just look at the published MPG differences between the AWD & FT4WD Explorers. The AWD Explorers get better gas mileage than thier FT4WD counterparts (assuming of course, that everything else is equal).

Q2:
    In normal 4WD-HI/LO mode, the transfer case locks the axles together to spin all 4 wheels at the same rate. In FT4WD mode, the transfer case still delivers power to all 4 wheels, but doesn't lock the axles together to allow the wheels to turn on dry pavement.

IMHO, if you aren't going to do any moderate to heavy off-roading or towing, and mostly want the traction for bad weather driving, the on-demand type systems are your best bet. I used to think my Durango was the king of the streets in bad weather until I drove an AWD Forester in a heavy downpour. WOW! The Forester cut through the rainsoaked pavement as if it were dry. I would normally have to slow down or stop the Durango in the same weather conditions. But let's see the Forester tow my 7000lb. boat... :)
    Thanks for your very informative response. Just as you remarked, I am looking for an all weather vehicle for the rain and snow of the Pacific Northwest...I don't intend to tow or travel very far off the beaten path.

I am tempted by the Durango because it is in my price range, my wife and I love the truck, and there are great incentives available right now.

However, after reflecting on your comments, I don't think it is a good match for us because it is overkill for our lifestyle. The increased operating cost (fuel and maintenance) of the Durango plus the capabilities I don't need make the "on-demand AWD" equipped vehicles a better choice for us. Thanks again for your help!
    Glad to help. Hate to see someone spend more money than they need to. Good luck on your next purchase! =)