Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• IMO, the D is a vehicle that runs hot and cold. What I mean is that even after making them for several years there still seems to be a few vehicles every year that turn out to be lemons. Some people (myself included) have had more than their share of problems. Others here on the board, like ywilson, have had absolutely no problems. I like my truck, but I'm frustrated with the reliability and miscellaneous rattles and squeaks. I have had to replace the rear differential along with the front upper and lower ball joints. I've also had other problems, but you asked specifically about the rear end. I would recommend getting the extended warranty. I would also take a look at new if you can swing it. Here in Madison I saw in the paper brand new D's going for $23k, plus special financing and longer warranty. Good luck and let us know what you choose.
  • Hey all, I'm soon to be in the market for a new car, trading in my '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport in on something bigger and more powerful, and the durango is definitely that. What problems have been had? How has gas milage been? Any recalls, TSBs that were major? I'm mainly looking at the '01s and newer. Any suggestions? Anything to look at during inspection or watch/listen for during the test drive? Any info will be appreciated!!
  • ywilsonywilson Posts: 135
    I love my Durango. I have just turned 87,000 miles on a 2000 SLT I bought new. The only problems I have had is I replaced my rotors at 85,000 miles and had the fan clutch replaced. Other than that I have had absolutely no problems. Now that we have all this snow I went out for a couple of hours yesterday driving around and never got stuck. I have nothing but good things to say about this truck. I will have it for 10 years I know. If you are getting a used or new on I would make sure you get the 4.7 liter engine if you are not going to tow frequently. A little better on gas mileage but just as powerful and more reliable IMHO than the 5.9. Happy hunting for your new D.
  • I didn't read all the complaints, but the ones I read didn't address the problem that I have. Doesn't anyone else have this problem? I bought my 2002 Durango with the impression that it had a recycle air option. The salesman showed me which button it was, but didn't bother to tell me it didn't work when it is cold. Maybe he didn't know. I've had the dealer check it out several times, and after putting in a new part they fineally told me there was nothing they could do, because that was the way it is designed. Fine! but they should have told me that it didn't work all the time. I've owned Honda's, Mitsubishi's Pontiac's and the recycle air option worked just fine on all of them, summer and winter. Is there anything that I can do, or anyone I can complain to about this. I emailed "Dodge" and they basically told me the same thing, that is the way it is designed. The recycle air option is very important to me because I have a lot of allergies. I would not have purchased it, had I been told it did not work all the time.
    I also filed a complaint with NHTSA but it really is not a safety issue, but a deceptive advertising issue!
    Help! I'm stuck with this for another 6 years.
    Linette
  • smarg1smarg1 Posts: 1
    I'm in the same boat as porknbeans. I have a 98 SLT (loaded) with 54k and in the last 3 months have replaced the radiator,waterpump,rear and the trans is currently being worked on. I had more reliable vehicles in the 70's. Trans was "fixed" but still have a hesitation (often bucks) when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Trans shop is looking into this now. The 98 is not high on the reliability list. I have been offered about $10.5k for trade in. My advice is to stay away from the 98-99 models. Odds say your only asking for trouble in the long run.
    I just turned 90,000 miles on my D and am happy to report all is well. The only problems I have had are new rotors at 85,000 and a new fan clutch. Everything else is working fine. I am going to put her in the shop for a good going over but I am happy as heck that this truck has done so well. It has been more reliable that any other car I have owned. I will be keeping this one for awhile!!!
  • bougionibougioni Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 SLT+ 4.7L Love it! I'm not going to do the conversion but gas is at .80/Litre in Toronto right now, any word about a hybrid program or diesel engines from DC for the next generation of this truck??
    I have heard that DC was working on a hybrid but don't hold your breath. All others have dropped the idea of a hybrid and reasonably so. They cannot justify the cost to make one that would be affordable as well as maintainable. However, I have heard they may consider diesel engines in the future. Cummings comes to mind since the already put them in the pickups. I could really go for diesel myself. The US is finally getting themselves together and going to get all the sulphur content out of the diesel. Clean diesel would make a big difference. No bad smelling fuel and no bad smelling fumes.
  • Hi everyone,

I bought a new 2003 D SXT about a month ago, and I am very impressed with it. The V-8 and 5 speed auto work well together, and I am finding myself pushing down harder (not to get it moving, but actually to pass little sports cars :-). It has great performance and GREAT looks (my neighbor bought a new Honda Pilot about the same time, and even though he has a brand new design, it looks boring compared to my new D).

Anyway, I have one concern. It is not really a pressing concern, and it can wait till the first service. My clutch fan for the radiator seems to be sticking on when the engine is cold. I have a very loud rushing of air/noise from engine cold start, then it goes away. I know it is the clutch fan, but thought it should be fully engaged mostly during hot weather...Anyone know if it is sticking or operating correctly?? Myself and my neighbors would like to know.

Thanks in advance. David
    This is normal. When cold it seems the fan blows quite loud. It will settle down in about 3 minutes after you take off. I have a 2000 SLT 4.7 liter which I believe your engine is as well. Mine has done it since it was new. 3 years now and 91,000 plus miles. I believe with my continuing maintanance I will get 300,000 out of my D. At least I am going to try.

>8^)>
    Just turned 94,000 on my 2K, 4.7, SLT. Still running strong and as reliable as ever. After owning VW'v and SAAB's, this truck runs circles around them as far as reliability goes. No problems and road ready!! Anyone else out there with Durango's care to comment good or bad about thier D's? Let's hear from some of you!!
  • I have a 00 R/T and have a love/hate relationship with my truck. I have about 45k miles on it so its not a "high" mileage vehicle. I've had both front power window motors replaced and that's been it for major repairs so that's not too bad in 3 years. However what gets me is the cheap [non-permissible content removed] material quality. If I cough up 30+K for a car I expect the leather on the steering wheel not to flake off or the cheap plastic interior. The factory installed wheels didn't last very long, neither did the brakes. On the other hand being able to pass people on a hill while towing a big trailer full of crap is sweet :)
    I have had mine for 3 years and just about had 0 problems. I know what you mean by material quality. I think DC needs to do something about all the plastic they use. It does give a feeling of cheapness. I don't know why your wheels did not last unless you are referring to the tires. I had my Badyears for 65,000 before I switched to my Dunlop's. I still have them in my garage in case of an emergency. All 5. My 4.7 runs great. I think DC hit the nail on the head with this engine.
  • jaxon1jaxon1 Posts: 2
    I bought a used 01 D about 2 months ago. Love it! BUT... I have this odd idle problem. Once it is warmed up it idle's low and rough around 500rpm on the tach when you come to a stop (IE stop light) if I place it in Neutral then back into Drive the idle is fine around 650rpm on the tach. It hasn't died and the check engine light hasn't come on but it is really irritating! I had it in to the dealer and the reprogrammed the PCM... The problem is still there. Any suggestions??? Has anyone else had something similar and how did it get fixed?
    You may need to have your TPS throttle position sensor changed. It is easy to do yourself. Do you know how to pull the codes? You turn off your D. You then turn the key from off to right before start 3 times. The codes will appear on your odometer. You can get them from Pep Boys for about $26.00. It should take all of 3 minutes to change out yourself. There is another idle sensor but I cannot remember what it is. You can go to

www.durangoclub.com

and they can help big time. Good luck!
  • jaxon1jaxon1 Posts: 2
    I pulled the codes and non were present. Shoul I change the sensor anyway? Should I take it back to the dealer and make them take care of it? I really don't like fighting wioth dealers. For one thing I was a service advisor in college and couldn'tr stand people that were like that. But I know if I take back they will tgell me that the computer said nothing was wrong and I know it shouldn't be doing what it is doing. let me know what you think.
  • rodericksrrodericksr Posts: 1
    I've got a 2000 D that has about 25000 miles on it that we bought new and have had almost no problems with. Recently the blower switch on the rear overhead Ac unit has stopped working. I've looked for the voltage at the plug up there and haven't found it. I'm thinking fuse except all the fuses are good. Does anyone know where the wires for that switch come from?
    I would have the dealer change it if it is still under warranty. You could try just taking it off and cleaning it. I have heard that this works alot of the time. If not on both, just do it yourself. It does not seem difficult.
  • Ok.... I'm new to the site, and a Dodge girl forever! I drive an 01 Stratus R/T, I drag race a 1967 Dodge Dart GT, I have a 02 1500 Ram w/4.7 and I'll be purchasing an 04 R/T Hemi Durango..... Anyways, I have been reading some really interesting things here on the site as far as questions regarding the 04 Durango. I am in Sales for a Dodge Dealership in Idaho. I read something about some people wanting to know the rebates. For states pretty close to Idaho, the rebate on 03 Durango's are $4500 off MSRP. We are offering $7500 off MSRP! Talk about a great deal eh? LOL
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Welcome aboard!

Your post looks uncomfortably like a sales pitch - which is not permitted by the rules. Please be more careful in the future! Thanks.

tidester, host
  • kendoughkendough Posts: 7
    Perhaps you would know when the new Durango is coming out. Any info?
  • Tidester... not a sales pitch, just love the products!

kendough... The word that I am hearing is that they may be hitting the lots late fall. I hope it's soon! I am really looking foward to getting one! What I do know of them is pretty cool! I'm curious to see the actual size. They are about 15% bigger, which isn't much, but that's everywhere! It's supposed to be smaller than a Tahoe though.

carguy1234... The deductibe applies after the 3/36000 mile warranty is over. I believe it's $100. The fine print talks about what might not be covered. If you can't back up your maintenance history and something should go wrong, it may not be covered.

I'm looking at towing approximately 5-6000 lbs with it. I have never towed with a Durango though. How well do they do? I guess I'm curious how the 5.9 does. I'll be going with the Hemi though. I don't like the way the 4.7 tows in a 1/2 ton. Really feels like it has to work at it.
  • jglackinjglackin Posts: 164
    The 7/70 is pretty straight forward. I sell at a C-J-D store. If you really have questions, stop buy a store and they will give you a copy of what is covered. Also, the new products come with a maintenance logbook. DaimlerChrysler wants customers to take that a little more seriously, but not necessarily at the dealership.
    I may be looking to get a new 2003. I am just about at 100,000 miles and may trade up.
  • HammertimeHammertime Posts: 14
    I've got the 5.9L and 3.92 axle ratio. It does a good job pulling my 5,500# RV. It has no problem holding 70 on the freeway although I do have to drop into 2nd gear on long 6% grades through mountain passes.
    Well my D just turned 100,000 miles this morning. I can report that before my extended warranty ran out I got the rear leaf springs replaced and got my front bushings done. They were starting to squeak like crazy! 4.7 liter motor is still running strong. I have enjoyed the truck completely and the way it is running i am going to try to get to 400,000 miles. A good diet of all synthetic fluids and good filters and regular tune ups and I think she will make it. Dodge makes an excellent product. MOPAR RULES !!!
  • Hey everyone. I'm looking at a 2000 Durango with a 5.2 litre engine. So far what I've read on this board - that engine is bad news. Does anyone have any info on this? Perhaps any good news about the engine?? Nice, nice rig - but worried at spending that much on a truck that may not go for long...I live in semi-rural Canada and Durangos are hard to find so I'm hoping for some good news here....
  • jmarinojmarino Posts: 19
    I have a 2000 SLT Plus 39,500 miles which we love. When the vehicle starts in reverse there is a noise from the rear wheels area like a winding sound , (low pitch reving noise)then when you put her in drive it starts again for a couple of seconds then goes away. It seems to be getting worse .This noise is in the rear and not from the engine. I realize it is hard to replicate the sound on a forum here but does anyone have a clue as to what it might be ? Thanks..
    I would stay away from the 5.2. It has known problems and DC has discontinued it. A 4.7 was my choice and I have not regretted it once. The 5.9 is pretty sturdy but it does drink more fuel. The 4.7 and the 5.9 are almost identical in HP and torque. The 4.7 drinks a tad less fuel. Choice is yours.
    Sounds like your ring and pinion gears need work. Keep an eye on this and have it checked as soon as possible. It could be expensive.
This discussion has been closed.