Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• fsvfsv Posts: 196
    I dunno what's going on at Dodge, but - see my post 948 - the car I testdrove was offered today to me for 28G's by the sales manager at Dodge - they say Dodge is offering 9G's off to put the truck on the road. The one I drove, SLT, has 5.7L engine, leather, moonroof and everything. Something is wrong... Don't trust your eyes, when in an elefant's cage you see a bull. The sign should be a wrong one.
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    Dealer made mistake - the discount is for an '03 truck.
  • My 2000 Durango is about to lose its 3 year bumber to bumber new car coverage. It has been a great vehicle; no problems at all except a power window went out. Question is, should I buy an extended warranty? If so, from where? Chrysler retailer offering a 3 year package for $1500 with $100 deductible. It covers 5000 components, whatever that means.
  • I found this review at TruckWorld.com. They liked almost everything about the Durango. Their only complaints were: the steeply raked windshield; acceleration pedal travel (they said it might be a preproduction problem); fuel economy with the hemi; a tight third row seat (I believe that this quite odd since the Durango has 34 inches of leg room in the third row; 2 inches more than the Armada and MotorTrend said that Duango's third row seat was adult friendly). It seems that Dodge did their homework. By the way, does anyone know the braking distance of the 2003 Durango. I went to MotorWeek.org and they said that the 2003 Durango too 135ft. If that number is true, and braking has been reduced by 10%, then the braking distance of the 2004 Durango is a mere 122ft. I read another review on Edmunds.com that said that the previous Durango took 128ft from 60. If that number is true,then the Durango only takes 115ft from 60-0mph; incredible! BTW, the article mentioned nothing about the Durango being slow, or under powered, or feeling like it does not have 330hp, as MotorTrend led everyone to believe. Rather, they said that the Hemi was a power house and the 4.7L felt right at home for the Durango.

Here's the link
    http://truckworld.com/Sport-Utility/04-durango/04-durango.html
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,691
    I drove one with the Hemi, and it didn't feel nearly as powerful as the Nissan Pathfinder Armada which I also drove, which is a larger truck and with less reported power.

Bob
  • I had the chance to test drive both the Nissan Armada and the 2004 Durango last night.

The Durango is ALOT smaller than the Armada and is still right between a compact and a full size SUV. The Armada's engine felt more powerful that the 4.7 V8 in the Durango, mostly due to the way Nissan is gearing the engine for low end torque.

The Durango is very nicely put together. It has excellent fit & finish. The turning radius it great has were the brakes. The seats felt supportive and comfortable.

Overall it is a VAST improvement over the older Durangos. Dodge is still playing "catch up" in many of the smaller details when compared to the Asian or European models (no NAV, back-up camera, etc).

I think that if the Durango proves to be reliable it will do very well.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,261
    "The 2004 Dodge Durango sport-utility vehicle is a big, serious truck with a magnificent engine and an attractive price tag."

Dodge Durango sets standard for large SUVs (Detroit Free Press)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I'm hitting 97k on my 2000 DD and was told at my last oil change that my ball joints are going to be needing replacement....again. This will be the second set of ball joints for me on this truck. Along with the main electrical wiring harness being replaced, rebuilding the rear differential and a consistant 13mpg I'm getting rid of it. I've enjoyed the truck and I still like the looks of it, but enough is enough. I'll report back on what happens. Good luck to all current and new owners.
  • jc58jc58 Posts: 48
    Just wondering, what are the symptoms of bad ball joints? Which ones are the ones that continually need replacing, the upper/lower or both? Finally, what does it cost to replce them?

Hopefully, I shouldn't have to worry about this for a while, I bought a 2003 SLT in August, currently 2,375 miles and no problems.....
  • I had my first set of ball joints (uppers and lowers) replaced at 60k. I now have 97k on the truck and when I had the tires rotated at 96k I asked them to check the ball joints. The mechanic told me that they are just starting to get loose again and that I will need to replace them. I think costs will vary depending upon where you are, but here in Madison it's about $920 with an allignment. I notice the ball joints on my D loosening up because I seem to "chase" the truck across the road more than you would expect (some people might call it wandering). Tire wear is also a good indicator.

Here is a good generic description of a ball joint and what it does:

http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Steering_Suspension/ball_joint.shtm- l
  • Has anyone ever sat in the new Durango? I sat in them twice now, and it seems small to me. I am 6'3" and I need the front seat all the way back. There is legroom, but the door, or the door post is rubbing my shoulder. With the front seat all the way back, I doubt if there is more than 4 inches between the front seat and back seat. I have a '98 Durango, and I don't think there is any difference in passenger room.
  • horst1horst1 Posts: 33
    Are you sure the odor is coming from the vents? If you are not, have them checked the catalytic converter for leaks. Sometimes they act up and creep into the vents. Good luck.
    Horst
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    If you own a 2004 Dodge Durango or are shopping for one now, a midwestern newspaper reporter wants to talk with you. Please send your daytime contact information to bclanton@detnews.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 3, 2003.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I can't seem to find any reliable info on future plans. A few years ago the general plan was to keep the Durango based on the Dakota frame and build a separate vehicle (possible called the RamCharger) based on the full size truck frame. Having the full size one now is great for some people, but I love my intermediate sized 2000 Durango SLT. When I buy a new SUV in a few years I want the exact same thing as my current one only newer. The biggest marketing point of the old style was the "Just Right" size. Does anyone know if DM plans to bring back the normal sized Dakota frame Durango? Any info or better source for info would be greatly appreciated.
  • The Durango is one size fits all SUV. The new Durango will cover both the fullsize and midsize SUV markets. If you feel that the Durango is too big, a midsize Chrysler SUV that will share components, not platforms, will be introduced either in 2004 or 2005. The Jeep Grand Cherokee will also be introduced in 2004. By the way, Chrysler said that they will no longer use platform sharing so as to retain brand identity and to keep cost down. For example, the Durango sits on its own platform that share 69% of its components with other DCX products.
  • Thanks for the good info, but it doesn't really make me happy. I'll look forward to seeing what they come out with for a mid-sized SUV. Until they come up with something I really like I'll stick to my 2000 Durango until it falls apart.
  • I checked out a few today on my way home from GRANDMA'S HOUSE. I think it looks way more TIGHT and NICE than some of these pictures suggest. The LIMITED with running boards is gonna be on my shopping list...to drive in the next month or so.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    ...at Marina Dodge in Webster, New York. I'm not taken with the new look. It doesn't smack at me like the Avalanche or Honda Element, so maybe it will grow more appealing to my eye. I can't say it looks bigger, but I guess it is. That may be a selling point.

The interior on the Limited is very nicely done and probably the best I have ever seen in a SUV! I even like it better that the Cadillac and Lincoln versions. High quality assembly throughout. I couldn't find one flaw. Exterior panel fit was perfect.

Like a poster above, I haven't found one current Durango owner that thinks the new one is better looking in any way. The new one appears to be better in most every respect...except looks.

I hope we get through this trendy appliance look in rapid fashion. It most certainly is encouraging me to keep a vehicle for 20 years or so.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ywilsonywilson Posts: 135
    I just turned 120,000 miles and I am happy to report no major flaws so far. I have had to do my ball joints (uppers) but I guess that was expected. I have the 4.7 liter and it has been a strong and reliable engine. My tranny however seems to be acting up a little. Lately it will trip the P-0700 code. That is the code for the overdrive troubles. Because it is the new tranny for the 4.7 and it is electronic when I turn off and restart the truck the problem disappears. The dealer has tried everything to fix it but cannot. I am going to drive it till it dies. This problem only happens occasionally. I really enjoy this truck and have owned it since new. It runs like new. I accredit this to my switching to all synthetic fluids around the 300 mile mark. I am keeping it until she dies.
    I know a fellow who has 126K on his 2000 Durango and he's exceptionally happy with his. Yes, he has replaced the upper ball joints, too. I think he said that he had a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) fail as well. His tranny is solid, no problems. He tows with his, too.

Strange thing, I think I remember the interior being slightly different than the same year Dakota for some reason. I'm pretty sure there was a difference in the door panels, but maybe I'm wrong. I know my 2003 Dakota's interior is very different.

I think the first generation Durango styling will be considered eye appealing for some time to come. Dodge did a excellent job on the Durango, and the new one appears to be very much improved in all the major areas, at least according to the one write-up I saw.

Continued good luck with your's.

Dusty
    I noticed in the rear hatch and on the front doors there is plastic tape over what appears to be drain holes. Was this placed here for a reason, or should it have been removed when the Durango was prepped?

Also, I am hearing a thumping noise from the front right side......sounds almost like something loose under the car thumping at times....any ideas???

This is the first thing I have noticed on my 2003 I bought in August. 2,500 miles and no other problems.
  • I drove an '04 Limited today with the Hemi. I loved it. Very tight and very quiet. The interior is very well done and I really liked the leather seats for support and comfort. I think the Hemi is almost a necessity because it didn't feel overly powerful, so I can only imagine the other V8 and esp. the V6 will feel a bit anemic motivating this big ride. I'm seriously considering this vehicle now.
  • I've had a chance to test drive a Hemi powered Durango since my first drive in the regular V8.

The Hemi is an excellent engine and feels decent when propelling the Durango. I think it should be the standard since the regular V8 and the V6 feel a little under-powered in this truck.

The fit and finish in the Limited models is very good overall. There is plenty of room when compared to other Mid-Size SUV's like the 4Runner, Jeep Cherokee, and Chevy Trailblazer.

Unfortunetly since the Durango doesn't have an DVD-NAV option I can't really put it at the top of my list.

I'm also waiting to see how the vehicle holds up quality and reliability wise over an extended period of time.
  • Am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of a NAV system? I have no interest in a little display map in my car. Is it really all that useful and just how often? I suppose if you travel all the time, but even then, unless you are going to places you've never been.....can someone enlighten me?
    And what an EXPENSIVE option! Over a thousand on many vehicles! Stop at a gas station and buy a map. OK, someone who loves it, will you let me know?
  • We just purchased our new Bright White 2004 Durango SLT 4x4/AWD with the 5.7L Hemi on November 22nd, 2003. We left for a family vacation last Wednesday for Thanksgiving and traveled with 4 Adults and a rear end full of luggage and stuff. We traveled to the Mountains of North Carolina and encountered wind, rain and snow. The truck was fabulous! We traded in a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab SLT Plus 4x4 and are totally thrilled with the comfort and the quality that we experience on this vehicle. It drove great, road noise was minimal, engine noise barely noticeable at all. The Hemi should be a standard, since the truck is over 5000lbs and as an SUV, your going to load it up and it needs the extra power. Any questions, just ask..
    Diggy,

I think I've figured it out. You know what they say about men never asking for directions. Now they don't have to.

Regards,
    Dusty
    I noticed in the rear hatch and on the front doors there is plastic tape over what appears to be drain holes. Was this placed here for a reason, or should it have been removed when the Durango was prepped?

Also, I am hearing a thumping noise from the front right side......sounds almost like something loose under the car thumping at times....any ideas???
  • I can't say I'm surprised to find other people here that don't like the new style Durango. I have talked to other Durango owners in my area and they are also disappointed. I think it went from looking like a truck to a minivan. Does anyone know what address to send a complaint too?
  • I was a doubter based on the comercials, but I took a look at one up close. The front and rear end styling is awesome. I was very sceptical but am now a convert. Plus all of the other major improvements make up for any percieved downgrade in styling. I am seriously considering trading in my 2000 Durango SLT 4x4 in for a 2004 Limited with the Hemi, but want to see the late availability options (wheels), and the options and improvements in next year's model (I bet they add the Nav/DVD). Any doubters should go check one out in person before they make their final decision.
  • New to this board -

I own a 2000 Durango SLT - love the styling Couple of observations-

1) Get the extended warranty (earlier e mail)- paid about 900 for mine (2 years - $50 deductible). Wait til almost end of warranty - since cost seems better - A couple of transmission or ball joint problems will make you glad you did - plus covers cost of rental car if dealer isn't generous.

2) Get service at dealer. Having maintainence rcords could be worth it's weight in gold if you have a problem and can't provide back up to regular scheduled maintainence(i.e. transmission fluid flush and fill).Usually you can get a 10% discount which puts you close to off brands.

3) Had problem with revving in sense that car would rev high and step through gears rather than smooth acceleration. Felt like driving in 2nd gear - problem was transmission valve body (also replaced clutch and fan) They explained that problem was with electrical wiring that came out of unit. Mechanical link was fine but then it would miscommunicate with computer. Drives fine now. Cost of about $650 was covered by insurance (see note 1)
This discussion has been closed.