Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• I too recently purchased an '01 Durango. I found the owner's manual to be quite helpful and thorough regarding answers to similar questions I had when I bought mine.

1. Expect any rear-wheel drive vehicle to become a handful when the road is slick. Easing on and off the gas will minimize the chance of losing traction.

2. AWD is only an option on some Durangos; if you have it, then there's no reason not to use it all the time, summer and winter.

3. Per the owner's manual never engage or use 4WD-hi above 45 MPH/70 KPH. You will never hurt anything if you switch between 2WD and 4WD-hi while moving with your feet off both pedals (gas and brake). In other words, only shift while coasting or completely stopped.

4. Check the manual for a detailed description for when/how to use 4-low. To summarize here, only shift to/from 4WD-Lo while coasting in Neutral below 5 MPH. Very few situations demand this mode; it's only useful when the normal range causes the transmission to stall.

5. I'm no off-roader, but my understanding is that skid plates are there only to protect the valuable guts from rocks or anything else that would damage what's protected by them.

Remember, 4WD helps you GO better in the snow but it does nothing to help you STOP. Also note that ice may allow your front wheels to spin when you gas it in 4WD, so drive with the lightest foot possible.
  • vladvlad Posts: 9
    Thanks! I'm glad I asked. The difference between AWD and 4WD was around 4K (on a used car).

Regards,

Vlad
  • volfanvolfan Posts: 1
    Love my 04 Hemi powered Durango with cast alum wheels. Has anybody else had a problem with the front wheel cap falling off? I am about to replace my 3rd one in 10 months and hope the dealership has a solution to this problem. Was told previously that drive thru carwash was too powerful and most likely caused caps to pop off. However, haven't been thru one lately, yet front cap missing.
  • denimo1denimo1 Posts: 13
    My Durango has 19000km on it and I'm getting 19-22mpg on highway. Ive added a K+N Aircharger which was noisy at first but I'm getting used to it. Does anyone have info on Mopar-approved header and catback and are there any uprated high beam bulbs available yet?

Denimo
  • danohdanoh Posts: 23
    Just curious..

i have a 04 Durango SLT awd Hemi.

Does anyone know how this system splits power between front and rear (40/60????).

I have looked around the dodge site, but have found nothing.

Thanks

Dan
  • Has anyone hooked an Ipod up to there 2004 Durango yet? I currently have one of the Belkin FM transmitters, but was starting to look at the Dension IceLink product (www.DensionUSA.com). However, their website has a disclaimer that the product should not be used with RDS radios. Has anyone else had luck doing this with some other product or a custom installation?
  • rambobrambob Posts: 4
    Bought an 04 in January and love it. Holds everyone and everything just fine. The only annoying problems are seat related. We have the power option on the leather seats and notice two things. First is "play " in the drivers' seat-almost like rocking as you are taking off or stopping. Dealer says its' within range. The other is with creaking of seats and spring noise/ feel in most seats. ANy thougths before going back to dealer? Also have 02 Ram from same dealer and do like dealing with them. Thanks.
  • I had a 2000 SLT 4x4. Loved it and got 130,000 miles out of her. I went in for a tranny service and while I was waiting I went to look at the 2003's they had on the lot. This was 12/2003 at the time. A delivery truck pulled up with the 2004's on it. I know one of the salesmen there and he came out to talk to me. Long story short I traded my 00 for my 03 SLT+ that day. I love this vehicle. They have both been the most reliable and functional vehicles I have ever owned. This one I will keep until the doors fall off!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    First is "play " in the drivers' seat-almost like rocking as you are taking off or stopping. Dealer says its' within range.

I think that if you can feel it on normal acceleration and braking then, by definition, it is not in range!

tidester, host
  • rnwjrrnwjr Posts: 2
    Has anyone gotten back to you? I also have an 04 Ipod and use the Belkin and an iTrip... Too scratch and do not have a cassette player in it... I looked at the iceLink,. but I may just by the Monster Cable charger and FM transmitter... Any thoughts????
  • horst1horst1 Posts: 33
    Hi,
    I will be looking for a new SUV myself in May of 2005. The Durango Hemi is on the top of my list. The only problem I have is the gas milage. Could you tell me please what your milage was on you trip. Thanks,
    Horst
  • sable1sable1 Posts: 2
    Having same problem....neighbor has same problem....always Durango's at the dealership when I go in with a problem. Numerous other people with same problem. Rented Durango to go on vacation, mine wasn't working, and it had same problem. Hot air blowing intermittently....have now retained a lawyer. Had enough and waited for Chrysler long enough. Just got a call this afternoon that they have a fix for aircondioner but can't test it because its not hot outside so won't really know until next summer. NOT ME another summer with out airconditioning now #$%& way. I want my money back so I can by something else with airconditioning.
  • sable1sable1 Posts: 2
    Having same problem....been in 6 times for a fix and the dealer couldn't do a thing to help me. Went all summer 110 degrees without airconditing what a pain. Finally got tired of the run around and retained a lawyer to get my money back so I can by a car the works. Have a broken bumper, gearshift broke, radio broke and running boards and rear bumper covers all worped along with my dash board.....I am done. Did get a call today and they have the fix for airconditionar but they won't be able to test it until it gets hot again summer of 2005. I am sorry their is noway I am going through the summer without air. Driving with windows down can be a death sentence in some cities. I refused to put my family through it again. Good luck if you need a good lawyer let me know. She helped my friend out and she has air now!!
  • No, nobody has gotten back to me yet. Just took the Durango on a long road trip and the Belkin was virtually useless as too many stations were in the low frequency range it uses. I have an email in to Dodge Customer support presently asking if they have any ideas/feedback. I'll post once I hear back from them.

The Monster Cable charger and FM transmitter combo may work ok for you. However, all of the radio transmitters will get some radio interference. For reviews of the radio transmitters check out the reviews section of ipod lounge at www.ipodlounge.com.

I also know that Alpine is now producing an Ipod adapter for use with their head units. However, I'm not ready to throw away my OEM 6 disk changer just yet. If you choose to go this route check out the specs at www.crutchfield.com.

Let me know if you end up trying any of these.

Thanks
  • rysterryster Posts: 517
    My '03 Durango blows hot air intermittently as well. Dealer checked the system and it was "functioning as designed". The A/C in my truck is moody especially on very hot and humid days. I agree that it is annoying, but from what I have read online it is a common problem among Durango owners. I have basically resigned myself to the fact it will probably always behave that way. It is the only major problem I have with the vehicle. My Durango is the best vehicle I have ever owned (and I have owned a lot of cars from different manufacturers). Based on my experience with the Durango, I would not hesitate to buy another Chrysler product in the future.
  • rysterryster Posts: 517
    I have the Belkin TuneCast1 transmitter and it is worthless when I use it in the Durango. I have tried it in other cars and it was crystal clear. I may try to pick up the TuneCast2 transmitter as it allows you to pick stations within the entire FM band, not just the 4 in the lower range that the TuneCast1 has. In fact, the transmitter issue is so frustrating that I have not used my MP3 player in my truck for months.
  • bobw1bobw1 Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 Durango SXT. Does anyone know if I can add a third seat? Thanks...
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    Seen in Rochester, New York, 23 October 2004, 07:55 AM, a new Dodge Durango with US Border Patrol markings. Could not see if it had the Hemi emblem.
    I have an itrip fm trasnmitter for my ipod(original), but i really dont like the sound produced.
    I have the rear entertainment system, which has some rca jacks,
    do you think i could find a coonection that would go from the mini headphone jack to rca??
    Has anyone bought the mopar navigation system??

There are a couple on ebay for sale priced below mopar, but needs antenea,bezel,dvd, and installation.

Thanks
  • rnwjrrnwjr Posts: 2
    I have an iTrip and use it at work... As far as my Durango goes I hook it into the RCA jacks on the VES (rear entertainment system) and other than the fact that the wires hang down I have had no problems and enjoy the sound quality... I also have it connected through the center console to a Belkin auto charger so I just plug and go...
  • Some time ago I posted a message about wind noise that was thought to be attributed to the Yakima Roof rack that I had installed.

Well, I removed the rack this fall and the noise continued. I went back to the dealership. It turns that the Mopar Bug Shied had been improperly installed. There is a rubber seal that holds the shield tightly to hood. This was missing on the original install causing lots of play in the screen and hence the noise. No such problem with the new one.

So, if you have the Mopar Bugshield and are getting wind noise at highway speeds, you may want to check and see that the shield was properly installed.
  • I have an 01 Durango SLT 4x4 with about 38K miles. For the past 10K miles I have noticed during the use of the cruise control - and even sometimes without it - on flat roadways, the RPM will jump slightly as if I am about to accelerate and will immediately drop back to its normal rate. The cruise control box was replaced as it had a crack in it and was not keeping a proper vacuum. This has not corrected the problem. Even with cruise off and a steady application of the gas pedal, the RPM might jump enough to hear the increase and feel the slight momentum jump, but just as quickly it is normal again. Any suggestions as to the cause or a remedy?
  • edge1edge1 Posts: 1
    My 1999 Durango SLT (5.2 liter) has been stalling out when I go down a steep hill with it coasting and when comming to a stop. I find myself without steering or brakes. It does not do it all the time but has been occurring more of late. The "check-engine" lite is on and it checked out as a bad speed sensor but changing it didn't get rid of the problem. Also checked the fuel pressure and it seemed to be OK.
     Has anyone had a similar problem?
  • I have the Limited AWD. It is full-time AWD at 48% front and 52% rear. It is in the owner's manual. It states that the AWD will handle up to 90% of your off-road needs. When you put it into pure 4WD, it is 50/50.
         Sorry I took so long to reply. Been really happy with my Durango and just haven't checked.
    CWO FERG
  • I have been driving a Chevy Caprice Wagon since I bought it new in 1989. Has 162,000 miles on it. Absolutely LOVE it and overall cost to own is CHEAP (despite rebuilding engine, transmission, and AC).

But -- want a new car! If I could buy a Caprice Wagon or equivalent, would do so in a heartbeat.

Since that is not possible, am considering subject 3 cars Magnum w 3.5L V-6, Durango w 4.7L V-8). I've given each a short test drive and decided I can fit my arthritic 6'2" frame with 35" inseam in all three as long as they have a tilt wheel. (Toyata Sienna and H. Odessey are out because I can't do that).

I haul long or big stuff not infrequently and haul a lot of luggage, etc on quarterly trips between Florida, Virginia, and Texas. Have no need for a 3rd seat and like the Stow & Go of the G. Caravan.
    Seldom have 2nd seat passengers, but, of course, need comfort there for when I do. I almost never do off-road driving, do not plan to tow anything, and avoid snow like the plague.

Have never owned a truck or SUV and do not know if I will like the Durango (although the short test ride was very good). Am now in process of arranging a 1-day rental for each of these (no mean feat, especially for Magnum).

Will also look at Taurus Wagon as a friend has had excellent experience with a 98 and I like to drive her car.

Overall cost to own is important to me (but over a 10-year period).

Would love to hear opinions as to what I should consider and watch out for. (Will also post this on specific car sites).
  • I have a 2004 Durango SLT with the 5.7 liter Hemi engine. The only problem I am noticing is a hissing noise that only comes when the vehicle is accelerating or is traveling above 30 miles per hour. Once the vehicle speed drops below 30 mph, the hissing noise quits. Sounds like it is coming from the left side of the dash. It doesn't matter if the air conditioning and heater are on or off. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't had it in for the 3,000 mile service yet but sometimes it's nice to know if others have had this problem taken care of before the dealer says its normal. Thanks.
  • Great info here. Planning to pull the trigger late Nov for 2004 SLT Hemi, 4X4, Tow Pack, Sunroof, and a few other options. Looking for any add'l advice. Planning to use on our campground, tow a 7,000 dump trailer (gross), people hauler. Will ask dealer re A/C issues and checking for rocking driver seat. I have 3 dealers w/in 25 miles to work with. Looking for dealer cost +$100. Appears I can get $5,000 rebates plus add'l $500 if joining PA Farm Bureau. Two questions:
    Is traction control worth it with AWD that comes with Hemi? and
    I plan to stick with 3.55 rear end. Any reason to try to get 3.92 rear end?
    Thanks. Dave.
  • Dave,
         I answered this in post #116, replying to lucaja's same question. I have pasted it below. Hope it helps. I ordered mine from the factory with the 3.92, I have it and I am glad I do. The vehicle is quicker off the line and exhibits more torque than the 3.55 I test drove. With me towing a 6,000-lb travel trailer, I am glad I got it. Here it is:

Did you opt for the 3.92 axle ratio? For others thinking the same thing, some things to keep in the back of your head: (1) these things supposedly have a governed top speed of 112 mph (anybody test it yet?), so the lower gearing won't affect that. (2) Fuel economy, yes the engine will turn a slightly higher RPM, BUT it won't be working as hard, so it is a wash. (3) You never know when the wife (or husband) is going to decide they want a travel trailer, toy hauler, horse trailer, boat, etc!!! Get the lower gears (3.92), it's only $40. That's right, $40! Always better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!! Good luck to all
  • twyxttwyxt Posts: 2
    After doing alot of research, we've discovered that our multiple problems with our 03 Durango may be from the IOD fuse as described here.

Does someone know where the IOD fuse is located? There is nothing to indicate where that is on either panel cover, or in the manual.

Thank you so much.
This discussion has been closed.