Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• kyle6kyle6 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 5.9 Durango R/T and have loved everything about it, (except the gas mileage), up until last night. All of a sudden it will not start while in park so I have to switch to neutral to get it running. Does anyone know what could be causing this, is it a common problem and how much can I expect to spend to get it fixed? :sick:
  • I had the same problem at about the same # of miles.
    My 2004 Limited was in the shop for nearly two weeks. After a couple visits by the local factory tech, he finally told the dealer wrenches to trace and check EVERY single wiring harness and connector in the engine compartment.

Guess what? It was a partially connected harness connector. Apparently one of the connectors was "electrically" connected but the physical connection was loose. Over time the electrical connection got less and less over time and I was getting intermittent connections which resulted in what you saw.

Unfortunately I can't tell you which connector it was.

-K
  • Wow, you're getting 18 mpg in the city? Is that from the car computer or is that hand calculated? My 2004 Limited w/Hemi only gets 13 city (mixed street/expressway, and a tiny bit of freeway) and up to 20 highway (flats, less than 70 mph). However that's using the car computer - I did the math with a calculator and the car computer seems to be over generous by at least 1 mpg over actual.

-K
  • fozzy3fozzy3 Posts: 1
    Hi I am new to the board..I have owned a 2001 DD for about 2.5 years and have had a few small problems with it...1. rear heat went out(covered under warranty), 2. Rotors had to be turned (twice) and 3. Ball Joints replaced (recall) with 70,000 other than that I loved it so much I traded it in for a used 2004 with 10,000 miles on it. :)
    Now to my question I have a friend that has a Denali and wants to sell me the rims and tires which I think would like great on my DD but I don't know if they will fit due to the bolt pattern? Since she is over 200 miles away I don't have the luxury of having a test fit. Any ideas on if the GMC wheels will fit a Dodge?
  • hemijeffhemijeff Posts: 1
    MBB;
    We haul a 27 ft travel trailer with a hemi powered Durango. It does a really great job for us and gets reasonable gas mileage pulling the 5500 lbs as well (12.) We are pushing the edge of optimum wheelbase vs trailer length where I would suspect you would not be. We use a reese weight distributing hitch and a reese friction anit- sway.
    Good luck!
  • Hemijeff - thanks so much for your input. Finalized purchase of Durango yesterday! Think I got a good deal, and am really enjoying driving it. Looking forward to my first trailering outing too. Thanks again. MBB
  • dave427dave427 Posts: 1
    help! I have a 2000 durango, 4.7 liter 4x4. It was stolen and when recovered had a damaged engine. I did the swap myself after the insurance bought a new dodge long block assembly. The truck was running and driving when i pulled the old motor but after checking all my connections numerous times I still have no power to the spark plug coils. The crank trigger was already installed but i had to re-use the cam trigger. Dodge service said the pcm? may need something (i'm not sure what this is but i do know where it is) I'm a backyard guy and can't hook it up yo a computer to find out what's wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanx
  • rbestwickrbestwick Posts: 1
    I am going to pick up my 2004 Durango at 24,000 km service and also have warped rotors which dealer can not explain. Brake pads are not warn. Had to be replaced but not covered under warranty as beyond 20,000 kms.
    Any suggestions?
    Sincerely
  • diddid Posts: 2
    My car has been in the shop for WEEKS with this problem. They replaced those parts you mentioned, but air cond. is still not working properly. They said it shows up on the computer as nothing wrong. Any suggestions?
  • Does anyone know where I can find the fuse panel chart that labels what the circuits go to?

04 Durango

Unless I missed the obvious, it's not in the manual and it's not on the fuse box cover like most cars have.

Thanks

btw, I need to know which fuse goes to the trailer parking lights. The parking lights work on the vehicle but not on hte trailer and the trailer wiring is fine.
  • Hi;

I am encountering the same problem, 10,000 miles. Did you get a resolution to this?
  • diddid Posts: 2
    I had all the parts the guy before suggested replaced. It didn't work the day I got it back, so sent it back. They claimed the computer didn't show any problems and has mysteriously worked ever since.
  • d2005sltd2005slt Posts: 2
    Has anyone seen this issue on the 2005 SLT. I've had this issue and another where you would lose air-conditioning and heat (no air coming out of the vents) but you hear the front blower motor working. You turn off the AC for a while and turn it back on and it works fine. Dealer thinks I'm crazy
  • I bought a new key for my 2004 Durango today. It opens the door and starts the engine fine. When I got home, I tried to program it, but it would not take a code. Not only that, the other key that I had ( have three, now only one works) no longer works the locks. All keys start the vehicle, but only one operates the locks. First, how do I find out if I have sentry key, Im guessing I dont otherwise I would know right? Second, if I followed the directions in the manual, what else could be wrong? When I got to the part when you press the lock and unloce and release on the key to be programmed, nothing happend (should get a chime). Tried both keys, nothing worked. Please help me out quick, I gotta turn the car in tomorrow for a remote start. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
  • Nevermind, I figured it out. Seems that the owners manual is wrong. Instead of hitting unlock and lock together and releasing, you have to hit unlock and panic on the key to be programmed (just like the key that you are programming from). Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.
  • donvitidonviti Posts: 5
    Hello...Quick Question...

Recently my airconditiong stopped working on anything but High...the heater doesn't work either...what is the issue?
    I guess it would help if I said I have an 01 Durango, XLT and the Vents, A/C and Heat only blow on High.

Any guesses as too what the cause is?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,312
    Check out Climate Control Problems--All Cars while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• cushing1cushing1 Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 SLT (not hemi) but I have noted it was getting harder to start (2 or 3 turns of the key). After 2 trips to the dealer they have diagnosed as a bad fuel pump -apparently it won't hold pressure between the tank and engine.
    I had a 2000 Durango (now have a 2004) and had the front ball joints replaced 2X. First time under regular warranty and the second under extended ;}
    In my old Durango they had to put in "inserts" into thee leaf springs because it was thumping when I came to a stop.
    In my old durango there was fluid thatwas leaking onto the rear brakes extending breaking times. It was a simple warranty fix.
    I had the seat tick (actually more like a clunking sound) in my 2004 SLT (non-hemi).

Simple warranty fix (they seemed to know what the problem was)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    In my old durango there was fluid thatwas leaking onto the rear brakes extending breaking times.

Actually, you shortened the breaking time but extended the braking time!

(Sorry - I couldn't resist! :) )

tidester, host
  • biglou11biglou11 Posts: 2
    Hey :(

I have had an Avital 4300 installed in my 2003 Dodge Durango SLT by an authorized dealer. I encountered the problem of vehicle turning off after several seconds of engaging the remote starter. The problem only occurs when vehicle is cold, the remote start stays on shortly after the truck has been driven. But that pretty much defeats the purpose of a remote starter, if you cant turn on your vehicle to warm the engine in the winter. Well, the car shop has replaced the Avital system with a Prestige system and still the same problem. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is it a code they need from Dodge? Any help will be appreciated.
  • My auxilary power outlet in the front works, but the one in the back is dead. I can't find any reference to it in the owner's manual, or on the fuse panel covers. Someone help me out here, where are the fuses for these things? THANKS
  • steve38steve38 Posts: 11
    Please help. Nothing in owners manual.
    If anyone comes across this problem. I was able to fix it. It was a blow resistor. a $10 part. The resistor is located underneath the glove box for an 01 Durango. 2 5/16 bolts can be a removed with a narrow 2 1/2 inch long socket wrench. If I can do it anyone can.
  • steve38steve38 Posts: 11
    Please tell me what fuse is for the radio? The fuse panel does not tell you which one it is, and neither does the owners manual. Amazing how stupid Dodge is for not including simple fuse information.
  • I have a 1998 durango my guages will not work no oil no tach no speed no temp nothing but if it is cold out side like 20 to 25 degrees they work change clusters no help lights on dash work turn signals work someone told can be a ground wire where the ground wire for the cluster please help driving me nuts thanks :sick: :cry: :( :(
This discussion has been closed.