Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango

Comments

• My airbag light in the dash stays on all the time. Anyone have the same problem or know what causes it.
    Thanks Greg :
  • getchoo2getchoo2 Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have the same exact issue with my '04 Durango Hemi and two different dealerships haven't been able to fix it. Did you ever get it worked out? Thanks in advance for any info.

Eric
  • It's usually your clockspring that causes the problem. However, your safest bet is to have it checked out at the dealer. I'm a dodge tech and have seen a few of these come in for this.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    A reporter hopes to speak with current owners of large SUVs who are trying to sell their vehicle and their experience. If you are a consumer with a large SUV that just sold or looking to sell, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, March 24, 2008.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dodidupadodidupa Posts: 2
    I just had my Rack replaced of my (Rack and Pinion Steering). My Airbag light now stays on, and sometimes goes on and off like if there was a loose connection or module. Fuses were good. It also passed NYS Inspection after the rack was replaced. Any Ideas ? Cost ?

Thanks
  • danny40danny40 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2004 Durango please help
  • josh30josh30 Posts: 20
    Should be on the left bank under the exhaust manifold along with the engine size. if not there check the other side.
  • josh30josh30 Posts: 20
    your situation sounds like an isolated problem. sorry man, thats just bad luck. pretty rare for that to happen to any vehicle. but [non-permissible content removed] happens. its easy to replace though. just get the parts and do it urself.
  • kman15kman15 Posts: 3
    have recently found that the rear diverter door was broken as well as the rotating stop on the white turn control for the rear diverter door that is controlled by the rear temp control. had to purchase the complete plenum box as the individual parts are not available. it seems as this has been a problem as the numbers for these parts have been superseeded a few times already. does any one know if the system needs to be calibrated,(motor stops) or just put it back together, and say a prayer.
    yes the truck is out of warranty.
    thanks Larry Philadelphia
    kman10@snip.net
  • kman15kman15 Posts: 3
    there was some kind of recall awhile back for something in my 2004 durango that pertained to the dash that would overheat did the dealer tell you about this?
  • corobcorob Posts: 1
    i have a 2006 and what i need to know did it come with a garage door opener
  • cyman1cyman1 Posts: 2
    Yes I have the same problem with my 2005 Dodge Durango, the rattles are very loud and it seems to be coming from within the dashboard. Have you had a chance to get it looked at yet?
  • Can anyone tell me what tool I need to remove the front brake caliper from the rotor? It looks like a torx head bolt possibly. Its a 2000 durango 4wd 5.9
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Today November 26, 2008 Chrysler LLC. made it official as of the end of December 2008 the Durango and the Aspen will be the end of production. This hybreds.

farout
  • Simple question here. I've just gotten a 2001 Durango, and I was told I had to stop and put the vehicle in neutral to engage and disengage the 4wd. Can someone tell me if this is true? I don't want to break anything by doing it wrong. Other SUVs I've driven could be engaged in Hi 4wd while moving. There was no owners manuel with it. thanks.
  • I have the exact same issue. Please help. I would love to fix the stereo I currently have and get the CD's out that are stuck in there. Is there anyone that knows what to do. Thanks
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,547
    Try the tips in the How to Remove a Stuck CD guide. Especially the fuse trick.

Changers are tough to "reboot" though. Your best bet may be to replace it with an aftermarket stereo.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• From 2wh to 4wh you can be moving then after shift let off gas. from 4h to 4lo 2-3 mph also 4lo to 4hi 2- 3 mph, also dont stop in neutral when shifting go right past or you will have to stop and turn off engine.
  • ccajccaj Posts: 1
    i've got a 1999 durango that lost all gears except first and reverse. had the tranny tested and the shop said it was the valve body. i want to rebuild it myself but need a schematic. if anyone knows where to find one online, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
  • ken3500ken3500 Posts: 1
    Interesting. I have a 2001 Durango R/T and the side air vents don't seem to blow much at all (if any). I don't remember it being this bad. Also, I thought the entire A/C system worked better than it does now.

Recently, my compressor broke and took the A/C clutch with it. Fortunately, I had it under the extended warranty plan and it cost me nothing to repair. I thought my A/C would finally work well. It still doesn't. Hhhhmmm.

To set things in a proper light: I have another Dodge/Plymouth vehicle and the A/C works great!!! So great in fact that I sometimes have to move it a bit off the coldest setting to keep from getting too cold. I didnt think that was possible with Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth vehicles, but it is.

Anyway, using a thermometer, I tested the temperature on the coldest setting both at idle as well as while the car was moving. My Plymouth vehicle's A/C blows at 40 degrees Fahrenheit! Very nice! In contrast, the Durango blows at 60 degree Fahrenheit. OMG! Not good at all, especially when combined with the low blow from all the vents.

I opened the hood and used thermal insulating tape to wrap the cold side piping from the compressor including the dryer and the pipes going into the firewall. There is an obvious design defect in that these cold A/C pipes pass within about 8 inches of the exhaust manifold that is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 degrees. There is no shroud between them. Not a good design.

Anyway, by wrapping the cold A/C piping I was able to lower the temperature of the air blowing from the fans by 8 degrees! If I can just increase the amount of air blowing into the car I'll be happy enough, but it still won't be great. I'm still going to try and drop the temperature further, but unsure how to proceed or where to look.

Just sharing.
  • Hi,
    We have a 2004 durango with 66000 miles at time of service.
    During a bunch or repairs ball joints, brakes, sway bar bushings.... the dealer noticed the pinion seal was leaking. They replaced it.
    the invoice didn't mention anything about oil added or crush washer replacement. My wife drives this vehicle mostly in town. 4000 miles later at 70000 I towed our popup camper on the interstate for 3 hours and a very noticeable humming sound started a couple hours into the trip. I stopped at a lube center (No dodge dealership around) and they ended up putting in 2 quarts of gear oil in the differential and noted there was no signs of leaking. I am working with the dodge dealership that did the repairs and they claim there is no way the vehicle could have left their shop that low on oil, stating that it would have burned up much sooner if that was the case. Is it possible that the vehicle drove that far that low on gear lube. The big question is where did the oil go? Is there any way that replacing a pinion seal could have resulted in this happening?
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • The dealer wants me to pay 600 of the $1200 repair cost because he want's to keep me as a customer and does not believe this is their fault. I know that if I had never brought the car in that today I would still have a functioning differential. Need to keep working on this guy.
  • I have a loud squeeking coming from my front suspension whenever I drive over speed bumps or any uneven surface such as large bumps in the road. It is especially loud when the humidity is higher or when it is colder outside. Any ideas?
  • Have a 2000 Durango SLT that i recently purchased used. It has no owners manual and the radio / clock is wrong. I have no idea hot to set it to correct time and would appreciate any help
  • There are small buttons on the radio marked "h" and "m" to set the clock. I believe you can download a free owners manual from dodge.com
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,547
    Looks like the free ones from Dodge are 2004 and newer. There are some other free manual sites on the net you could try if you don't want to buy one, but I don't see one for the 2000 Durango off-hand.

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• bevansbevans Posts: 4
    I am considering a 07/08/09 Durango I currently drive a GC and would like the ability to tow a trailer and still be able to haul 6 people. Is there any glaring problems with any of those years? I have not been able to find many. Also what is the positives of the 4.7 over the Hemi-
  • pdanypdany Posts: 1
    I was thinking of buying a 2003 Dodge Durango, I even tried a test drive, however now I feel it’s not good to buy this vehicle.
    What I felt during the test drive was vehicle moving slowly. I mean it’s slow compared to my car. First, I tried it on 2 wheel drive, then I put it on 4 WD, but it’s moving very slowly (EVEN IF I GIVE ENOUGH THROTTLE). I asked this to the sales person (owner?), but his answer is like ' YOUDON’T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE a 4 WHEEL DRIVE'. I am just wondering about his answer. Is that true that driving a Durango wouldn’t be smooth like driving a car?
  • ozcop1ozcop1 Posts: 6
    I just sold a 2005 Adventurer model with Hemi and AWD, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, and I've owned everything from Chevy Duramax PU, to 2000 Suburban LT, and several other SUV's in between. The Hemi has 100 more HP than the 4.7, and although I have no personal eperience with the 4.7, I am told the fuel mileage is worse than the Hemi. The Hemi, with it's cylinder deactivation system is one of the reasons mine would constantly log 20 to 22 mpg highway, and quite often, 18 city...
    Mine was used extensively to pull a 22' aluminum car trailer with either a CRX autocross car, or my 06 Corvette to track day events at various race tracks. Pulling the CRX, highway mileage was always 18mpg, and on level ground could log as much as 19. The 1000lb heavier Corvette dropped mileage by 1 to 1.5 mpg respectively. My spouse loved that vehicle more than she did her first new SUV, a 1995 GC with 5.2V8, which was a fine automobile for the 5 years we owned it. MPG is significantly better with the Hemi... In 68000 miles, the only thing I had to do to this Durango is install new tires at 58000 miles, and new front brake pads at 60000, plus routine maintenance and oil changes every 5000 miles, and I used Mobil 1 oil exclusively...as I do in all my vehicles. I can't speak for the newer models you are seeking, but my 05 is probably the best overall vehicle I have owned...Corvette excepted... 8)
  • I have a 2004 Dodge Durango hemi and my suv is not turning when i try to start it i got the code 10 when i turned the ignition three times does anybody know what that code is???
This discussion has been closed.